Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kolta
Apr 13, 2009

Evil Sagan posted:

So Warhammer Quest: how do you guys feel about the Jade Ring that comes with the War Priest? I thought a healing ring would be nice, but the random wounding is awful! Is there something that makes it not terrible or should I just sell it?

I find it heals more than hurts. But it does become a pain in the rear end at times. There's probably a better ring as a drop for the warrior priest. I'm keeping it for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

SynthOrange posted:

Yeah, the 200 double kills is an rear end in a top hat challenge. I've got the antique rifle, but I dont think it's feasible without the combat shotgun, since the antique rifle doesnt hit hard enough to kill in one shot once the banshees show up.
I gave up on the splat 200 zombies with the ATV. Maybe if there was a progress meter so I knew how far or close I'm getting, but gently caress, I kill 500+ zombies in a run and don't get the star. Color me bored.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I wonder if talisman or space hulk is around the corner

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.

LingcodKilla posted:

I wonder if talisman or space hulk is around the corner
Talisman's already here (single player with a multi-player version on the way) and Space Hulk is coming soon.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Man you guys need some Dead Ahead skills. I loving suck at that game and I got past most of those challenges. I think I'm on one of the final tiers since I unlocked everything but still have some challenges. I'd have to check to find out but the iPad is in the other room and effort. The ATV thing took hella long but upgrading it and having osme paitence and second chance helped.

The antique rifle with double ammo and fast reload is pretty much the best gun in the game. It regularly, continously, murders every fucker until three or four thousand miles when you'll mostly just slow them down and need quad damage to really put a hurting on zombies. If you really need lots of double kills go back to the ofrest or suburbs and just coast along as slow as possible on the bike of your choice relentlessly shotgun everything. Zombies you pass and don't run over die to any damage, and the chased ones are the only ones with HP to speak of, but on the Forest/Suburbs that's going to take a long time for them to show up.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

Bummey posted:

I'm nearing level 12 and 150k glory right now but I'm at the invasion mission and really want to beat that. It's so frustrating how enemies can have so god damned many combat bonuses that just don't match their levels. Like when you're the same level but have to scroll to view all their dominance, defense and damage bonuses while your list is half inactive or passives and a quarter of the size. It may be a whine, but it's just not fair when you literally can't beat an enemy because of that poo poo, regardless of scale, especially with how odd the AI is in regards to randomly being super aggressive or passive to the point where they never attack.

I love seeing a huge list of bonuses from an opponent 4 levels above me only to realize that none of them are health.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Al Baron posted:

Talisman's already here (single player with a multi-player version on the way) and Space Hulk is coming soon.

Seriously crap search engines if I search for warhammer and that doesn't show up

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

RedRupee posted:

I have the combat shotgun... the issue is that without quad damage, you won't always get two running enemies to die (it does like 95% of their health or something I swear) so you either have to go fairly slow and swerve around standing enemies and just repeat like that or you have to just constantly fire with the shotgun and hope that every other kill is finishing off at least 2 enemies.

I figured out that the zombies in front of you that you run over die to anything in one hit, so whether doing the machine gun or the double kill, it is easier if you don't hit zombies with your car and shoot after passing them.

clams
Apr 10, 2007

rawr.
Really enjoying Warhammer Quest on hardcore. I noticed someone was bemoaning losing their gear when their guy died a couple pages back. While its not always feasible, if you can clear the room on the turn after your guy goes down (so the body hasn't disappeared yet) you can go to your inventory and unequip all his gear and you won't lose it.

Do dungeons scale with the number of warriors you bring in? If I wanted to level up my Waywatcher and Wizard (the melee guys are chain-killing machines) can I deselect the other two on the "select warriors" screen and not get completely run over by a dungeon meant for a full party?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kenny Logins posted:

Yeah, it works by taking 100 minus your permanent Brave and that becomes the chance to hit you with basically all physical attacks. I think the highest you can permanently crank your Brave is 97 and it's slow but easy to do with Ramza's Squire ability from Chapter 2 on. Blade Grasp is a really, really good ability and stupid-high Brave dovetails with general physical potency anyway. As above it's instrumental to having one good tank but having a whole party of tanks is not such a great idea.

There are some physical attacks that ignore evade/block and Blade Grasp won't work on them but in most cases the enemies aren't much of a threat anyways. since it's stuff like goblins or humans that have Dash which does pitiful damage.

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

King of Dragon Pass worth that hefty $10 price tag?

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

There are some physical attacks that ignore evade/block and Blade Grasp won't work on them but in most cases the enemies aren't much of a threat anyways. since it's stuff like goblins or humans that have Dash which does pitiful damage.

The ai can't see reaction abilities. That is why the ai always uses skills that by pass reactions but do less damage.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Mr.Trifecta posted:

I bought it for 5. Still worth it at 10. Worth it at 20. It's also on GOG http://www.gog.com/gamecard/king_of_dragon_pass for 6

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Mr.Trifecta posted:

Oh god yes. It is one of the best games on the entire store.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Its pretty much a cleaned up version of the PC game, and that was a massive meaty game on its own.

Plus it has enraged ducks.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

clams posted:

Really enjoying Warhammer Quest on hardcore. I noticed someone was bemoaning losing their gear when their guy died a couple pages back. While its not always feasible, if you can clear the room on the turn after your guy goes down (so the body hasn't disappeared yet) you can go to your inventory and unequip all his gear and you won't lose it.

Do dungeons scale with the number of warriors you bring in? If I wanted to level up my Waywatcher and Wizard (the melee guys are chain-killing machines) can I deselect the other two on the "select warriors" screen and not get completely run over by a dungeon meant for a full party?

Pretty sure it will scale to the level of those entering. Be it only 2, I'm not sure how much it will scale.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Mr.Trifecta posted:

Yes, it most definitely is. I really wish some other developers would borrow its ideas and give us some more stuff like it.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Think I'm gonna try a FFT run using just the AI. Set up equipment and positioning at the start of battle, tell the AI what to do then sit back and watch, like Gratuitous Space Battles with more grinding. How arduous could it possibly be? :v:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Mr.Trifecta posted:

Playing, or at least playing WELL definitely takes some getting used to, but the interface isn't awful by modern standards which is pretty incredible for an almost-direct port of an ancient PC game. It's very deep and the kind of thing you can play on and off for years without discovering nearly everything, but if you come into it expecting easily grasped strategy or quick mastery it will not hesitate to slap you in the face and quickly bury you. I'm not as obsessed with it as a couple people lurking around these forums but I do count it as a very, very special game that gets a lot of things right that I haven't seen any game made since pull off; it's got some really intricate and subtle systems of event triggers and quest chains that REALLY serve to reward roleplaying in a way I've never seen another game accomplish. If you're willing to wipe out horribly a couple times without fully understanding why, and you're prepared for a text-heavy game that's more suited to playing in bed for an hour than whipping out during a smoke break or whatever I think it's a really, really good game for the price.

MrMoose
Jan 4, 2003

Happy Happy Joy Joy
Ahaha holy gently caress. The archmage in WQ is amazing. I just got him to level 3 and got Arcane Unforgiving. It costs 15 power, but it basically nukes anything he can see for 9-10 damage (with a chance to miss). In a room of 13 goblins, I just wiped out like 8 of them.

Love it.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Eegah posted:

Think I'm gonna try a FFT run using just the AI. Set up equipment and positioning at the start of battle, tell the AI what to do then sit back and watch, like Gratuitous Space Battles with more grinding. How arduous could it possibly be? :v:

Speaking of, are there any good passive games like this? The Big Win <Sport> games were fun for about two rounds until you ran into the pay wall and realized it was totally random. I'd like something with a little more strategy involved, if possible.

E: not Gratuitous Space Battles

Bummey fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jun 12, 2013

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Bummey posted:

Speaking of, are there any good passive games like this? The Big Win <Sport> games were fun for about two rounds until you ran into the pay wall and realized it was totally random. I'd like something with a little more strategy involved, if possible.

Count me interested too. Id love a game about setting up routines for the AI to follow and plans for them to execute and the. Facing them off against the enemy AI

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Mr.Trifecta posted:

$10 isn't so much a hefty price tag for KoDP as it is an unbelievable bargain. Game would be worth every penny at five times that price.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Any suggestions for some good Where's My Water-style games? I like those kind of puzzle games with lots of levels I can futz with on my iPad while watching TV or whatever, but can jump in and out of as I please. I'm not really interested in the heavy-duty RPG stuff.

Also, does anybody know if the sequel to Air Attack HD will ever be released?

Aatrek fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jun 12, 2013

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Eegah posted:

Don't give Ramza tailwind. Instead wait till chapter 2 and give me steel. Then his ai will spam that ability every turn until you take off mettle. That way you can get everyone to high brave. I'm doing that in my normal game and its great! The ai moves faster than I can so it can spam brave hundreds of + brave while I go watch some Ted talks.

Russad
Feb 19, 2011

Aatrek posted:

Any suggestions for some good Where's My Water-style games?

Possibly a stupid question, but have you tried "Where's My Perry?" It's similar (it's also a Disney mobile game), but with some different elements to it.

clams
Apr 10, 2007

rawr.

KGBAgent185 posted:

Pretty sure it will scale to the level of those entering. Be it only 2, I'm not sure how much it will scale.

Well I did a couple dungeons with my two level 3 guys and it was certainly doable. Not entirely sure if it was due to being scaled to level 3 (as opposed to whatever two 3s and two 5s scales to - 4?) or if it was made easier by only two people. I figured it took the number into account until I ran a dungeon with a level 5 and two 4s and I had to exit after the first fight since it seemed not scaled for three guys. So who knows.

I did find a bug where one of my guys got some ridiculous debuff of -2 to basically all stats at the end of a mission. Since I didn't want to wait for his gimped movement speed for the next two(!) dungeons, I sat him out to see if it would count down even if he wasn't there. After quitting early because it was too hard I threw him in the next one and the debuff was entirely gone. Whether this works on all debuffs I don't know but if you'd rather cheat a tad than run a dungeon with a guy with low movement speed (or whatever, the others haven't seemed too bad) try sitting him out then exiting the dungeon and sitting him in.

edit: well, after playing with all four guys again I think the enemies were noticeably easier when playing with three at roughly the same average level. only one melee just makes it rough.

clams fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 12, 2013

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Russad posted:

Possibly a stupid question, but have you tried "Where's My Perry?" It's similar (it's also a Disney mobile game), but with some different elements to it.

Yep, I've got it and all the in-app expansion levels played.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Aatrek posted:

Any suggestions for some good Where's My Water-style games? I like those kind of puzzle games with lots of levels I can futz with on my iPad while watching TV or whatever, but can jump in and out of as I please. I'm not really interested in the heavy-duty RPG stuff.

Also, does anybody know if the sequel to Air Attack HD will ever be released?

There was a music game called something like symphonica that had very similar gameplay to Water... I got it for free on the 2G iPhone and loved it. Anyone remember more details; I don't have the time to go digging right now.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Aatrek posted:

Yep, I've got it and all the in-app expansion levels played.

I got pudding monsters when it was a app of the week thing and it's pretty decent.

Mr.Trifecta posted:

It's a steal when you consider that it's a full port of a game used to be $30 on some dude's website. Even now the full PC version is $10 on gog.

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jun 12, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Kaizoku posted:

There was a music game called something like symphonica that had very similar gameplay to Water... I got it for free on the 2G iPhone and loved it. Anyone remember more details; I don't have the time to go digging right now.

Holy gently caress I remember this. You shot colored stuff at other balls and it changed colors and bent and poo poo....what was it called!!

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Holy gently caress I remember this. You shot colored stuff at other balls and it changed colors and bent and poo poo....what was it called!!

Auditorium

owns

no longer on the app store

A clone called Genesis is available but it may be poopy. http://appshopper.com/games/genesis http://appshopper.com/games/genesis-lite

Bummey fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jun 12, 2013

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Mr.Trifecta posted:

Nope, definitely not worth $10. I went to the creator's etsy page and bought the original art for a couple of the scenes.

It's an artistic game on par with Year Walk, but with far more replayability.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Bummey posted:

Auditorium

owns

no longer on the app store

A clone called Genesis is available but it may be poopy. http://appshopper.com/games/genesis http://appshopper.com/games/genesis-lite

If you downloaded it, it is still in past purchases! Just redownloaded it, still awesome--better than half the games currently on my phone.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Kaizoku posted:

If you downloaded it, it is still in past purchases! Just redownloaded it, still awesome--better than half the games currently on my phone.

Auditorium is great but it's not worth scanning through an unsearchable, slow loading, and extremely crashy App Store Purchases tab just to download and play it. poo poo would take an hour between all the crashes and reloads.

Apple really needs to fix that poo poo.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Bummey posted:

It's fixed in iOS 7. At least it isn't super laggy or crashy.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

I just tried. It won't even load for me at all anymore. :(

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Bummey posted:

Auditorium is great but it's not worth scanning through an unsearchable, slow loading, and extremely crashy App Store Purchases tab just to download and play it. poo poo would take an hour between all the crashes and reloads.

It's fixed on the ipad as well. There's address book style tabs to browse by app name.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

If you can get over the horrible control system, The Last Express is a lovely game.

That is all. Sorry for the old news.

(Bastion is a lovely game too).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valiant Pudding
Dec 31, 2007
With raisins!
So with all the Kingdom Rush: Frontiers talk a few pages back, I bought and tried the original Kingdom Rush. I've managed to complete the campaign fairly easily on normal, 3-starring everything except for the last mission (I'm at 40/95 stars). However, I have a really hard time completing the heroic and iron challenges. I've completed the first two levels, but after that I just keep on losing, even after switching to easy and trying tons of different strategies. Is there only one doable strategy per challenge that you just have to find, or are you forced to buy items to complete challenges?

Right now it seems as if I'm stuck between completing the campaign and the other extra levels since you need about 50 stars for that...

Also, do the different difficulty levels bring different rewards?

• Locked thread