Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

escape artist posted:

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not.

Im

escape artist posted:

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not.

Oh no im not being sarcastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Ainsley McTree posted:

Munch had a cameo in the X-files too, didn't he?

Even in arrested development, now that I think about it.

And he was mentioned in Luther, which makes it interesting trying to explain how Idris Elba can be both Stringer Bell and DCI John Luther simultaneously.

To defuse the Tommy Westphall debate, the fact that certain things appear in the daydreams of an autistic child does not mean they exist only in his dream. If I dream of wandering around London that does not necessarily preclude London's existence in real life. Further criticisms.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Munch was also on Sesame Street.

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

If you've got white people problems I feel bad for you son
I've got 99 problems but being socially privileged ain't one
Obviously The Wire and Sesame Street are in the same universe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLdim8hWR44

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
According to Wikipedia, Munch has been in

Homicide
Law and Order
Law and Order SVU
Law and Order Trial by Jury
Arrested Development
The X Files
Sesame Street
30 Rock
Jimmy Kimmel Live

i think the character has a record of being featured in the most television shows. Munch might be a God.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Season 3, Episode 1: Time After Time
Story by: David Simon and Edward Burns
Directed by: Ed Bianchi
Air date: September 19th, 2004

Bodie posted:

“Don’t matter how many times you get burnt, you just keep doin the same.”
I mention the air date in the intro because it’s worth pointing out. A large part of this season plays loose as an allegory about the jingoistic and aggressive first few years of the early 21st century, most of which revolved around America’s War on Terror and its foray into Iraq. In 2004, Iraq wasn’t yet the hideous quagmire it would become known for in 2005 and 2007; around the time David Simon was writing the season, the largest image in the American consciousness was the statue of Hussein being pulled down in Baghdad and George W. Bush’s absurd photo-op with his Mission Accomplished speech. I’d argue that this season of The Wire was a chance for Simon to--among other things--examine the start of the War on Terror in an oblique way.

I’m coming at this episode looking for those parallels because I served in the invasion of Iraq. I was in the Marine Corps infantry at the time--I enlisted in July 2001 and was in recruit training for 9/11--so I’m particularly biased toward this season. (I won’t say it’s the best, but it is my favorite.) Being gone from civilian life for the start of the War on Terror means that I missed a whole lot of the cultural impact of 9/11; most of what I caught I caught through Fox News in the chow hall, so most of what I know I know is wrong. Giving this season a good analytical re-watch is a chance for me to see those first few years in a different way. So thanks to escape artist and Jerusalem for giving me the chance to write up a couple of episodes and organize my thoughts. If I've confused any details or characters, let me know; I'll correct anything I've gotten wrong.
---

The season starts with the fall of the towers. Not the World Trade Center, but the Franklin Terrace Towers, a setting of some importance over the last few seasons. Poot and Bodie (and Puddin, who was in both season one and season two, but uncredited), they bullshit about it as they walk to see the demolition. Poot’s sad that they’re falling because he has some good memories in those towers; Bodie’s fronting and saying that the only sad thing is that they’re losing some good real estate for business (“Y’all talkin about steel and concrete, man. Fuckin steel and concrete.”)

At the same time, Mayor Royce, in front of a small crowd, is giving a speech. The back and forth between the two scenes is worth noting. “People? They don’t give a gently caress about people,” Bodie says, and a scene later you have Royce saying “You are very soon going to see low- and moderately-priced houses built in their place,” which really won’t change a goddamned thing about the underlying problem, since the towers were meant to be low- and moderately-priced in the first place. Bodie goes on to talk about how often Poot keeps doing the same poo poo and getting burned, while at the same time Royce says “Now…mistakes have been made. And we will learn from those mistakes. Reform isn’t just a watchword with my administration. No, it’s a philosophy.” Royce’s speech is coated with a politician’s slime--passive voice, buzz words--and Bodie’s is comically vulgar, about Poot’s dick looking like a fried chicken wing.

Royce does a countdown using a Bugs Bunny-looking detonator (a T-Handle box), but it’s nothing but an image; the demolitions crew sets off the explosions using their own tools. And down goes Franklin Terrace, not to screams and crying, but cheers and applause--at least until the dust and debris clogs the streets. Royce looks around, panicked. The towers fall down, the politicians don’t know what to do, the people they purport to represent get caught up in the aftermath, and soldiers are about to go to war.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbK5HIfdyWc
---

There’s a new intro this season, and a new intro song (my favorite of the five versions). I could do a whole essay on the credits themselves, so I won’t go into here, but it’s worth noticing one image that has particular resonance: dead soldiers crushed under a boot heel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4u6XdlM6pE
---

This season picks back up on the Barksdale case, which took a backseat to last year’s murders in the docks. McNulty and Sydnor are on surveillance in an abandoned rowhouse, watching their current target, Cheese (Melvin Wagstaff), Prop Joe’s nephew, who we saw beat the poo poo out of Ziggy last season (and torch Ziggy’s car). Over in the Major Case building, Lester and Prez are listening to the wire, translating street talk with the help of Caroline Massey, a police officer new to the unit (and the show). “Girl, you do have an ear,” Lester says--a compliment from a man with one hell of an ear himself. The case is running to some problems, however--Cheese’s crew is disciplined, with Cheese himself never on a phone.

Over in the Western, Carver and his crew (including Herc and two new characters, Colicchio and Dozerman) are planning to run a corner bust. They’re expecting a runner, but Carver’s sure it’ll be a decoy. (Herc, getting in his car, starts playing the theme to Shaft, which becomes diegetic soundtrack for this scene.) Things go well at first for the squad--the expected runner takes off, and Carver tells him to step light--but then he grabs a duffel bag from behind a set of stairs. “Is that the stash?” Herc asks, and the squad takes off after him. Carver’s right; it is a decoy, and once the squad splits, someone else picks up the real stash and walks away.

Carver calls in some backup and gets a ride from Herc to the block where the kid went to ground. Carver jumps on the roof of the car. “Listen to me, you fuckin little piece of poo poo,” he shouts. “I’m gonna tell you one thing and one thing only about the Western boys you are playing with. We do not lose! And we do not forget! And we do not give up! Ever! So I’m only gonna say this one time: if you march your rear end out here right now and put the bracelets on, we will not kick the living poo poo out of you! But if you make us go into them reeds for you, or if you make us come back out here tomorrow night, catch you on the corner, I swear to fuckin Christ, we will beat you longer and harder than you beat your own dick! Because you do not get to win, shitbird! We do!”

Twenty-first century American war policy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBbkMdzbdOI
---

Over in the funeral home, Stringer’s base of operations since the raid on Orlando’s, Stringer himself is chairing a meeting. Shamrock’s reading Robert’s Rules of Order (written by Colonel Henry Robert, in the 1870’s) and making sure that the meeting follows the rules. Bodie and Poot want to take new corners; Stringer explains that taking territory means bodies and bodies mean police. Product, he says, is what it’s about these days; he wants to share territory to maximize profit. Poot, he points out that the gang would like like a bunch of punk-rear end bitches, and Stringer goes ballistic. Meeting adjourned.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPS9YKGaKQE
---

Back at Major Crimes, Kima and Lester, heading out, run into McNulty and Syndor, who’ve been in the vacant watching Cheese since dawn. McNulty talks with Lieutenant Daniels and Rhonda Pearlman, both of who point out that in two weeks, they charge what they have. McNulty knows they don’t have a case and wants to push it above the street to get Joe and then Stringer. Daniels tells him that they need to make headway or give it up.
---

Major Colvin, in the Western, greets two new officers, Baker and Castor. He gives them a stock speech about the importance to knowing their location and hands out a pair of compasses. Herc and Carver, just outside the office with the (beat to poo poo) runner, laugh at the new officers on their way out, but point out that Colvin’s been giving that speech for years. Colvin asks Carver what they’ve learned from the bust. Herc’s answer is piss poor at best.
---

Bubbles and Johnny make their first appearance this season, pushing a shopping cart full of metal. They lose control and it crashes into a parked SUV. The owner of the vehicle and his gang jump up, ready to shoot Johnny, when someone else walks out and asks what’s up. “Do it or don’t,” he says, “but I got some place to be.” This is Marlo Stanfield’s first appearance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0vgw-PeSFc

Bubbles and Johnny get away alive (minus their pants). Which, considering the kind of person Marlo later turns out to be, is no small miracle.
---

Another important character makes his introduction in the following scene: Councilman Tommy Carcetti. He and Tony Grey are grilling Burrell and Rawls at a police department review meeting. Felonies are going up, Carcetti says; Burrell passes the reply to Rawls, who says that he’s increasing tactical support during particularly busy hours. Carcetti asks Burell out to lunch to talk a little shop.

In the back, we see Marla Daniels talking to Odell Watkins. “Who’s that skirt with him?” Carcetti asks Grey.
---

Lester, McNulty, and Kima sit in a car, watching a dealer named Drac, Prop Joe’s nephew, “the talkinest motherfucker I ever heard on a wiretap,” according to Lester. Here, listen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5BG-81hsH8

It turns out that Drac’s supplied by Lavelle Mann, who Syndor’s been in undercover contact with, and they decide to arrest Mann, hoping that Drac gets promoted and starts talking more important poo poo on the wire.
---

Carcetti and Burrell bullshit at lunch before getting down to business: crime and schools are Baltimore’s biggest problems, the reason so many people are fleeing the city, and the mayor, according to Carcetti, doesn’t seem to care. He offers an open door to Burrell if he ever wants to work around the mayor. Burrell points out the virtue of the chain of command and leaves.
---

In prison, Wee-Bey’s talking to an inmate who’s about to be paroled: Dennis “Cutty” Wise (also a new character this season). Cutty was once a brutal enforcer, similar to Wee-Bey. They’re outside in the exercise yard, and Avon cuts across a baseball game to talk to them. The game stops for Avon, who has as much power inside as he did out.

Avon tells Cutty that things are different since he’s been inside, but some things stay the same, and without the towers, he needs someone to take things to new places. He wants Cutty to work for him. Cutty takes a phone number and walks away. “The joint mighta broke him,” Avon says. Wee-Bey isn’t so sure.
---

Daniels asks Burrell for more phone surveillance. Burrell, practicing his putt in his office, simply says they can’t afford it. Daniels explains the plan to promote Drac. Burrell asks why Daniels thinks they’ll promote the wrong man, and Daniels, looking at Burrell, says that the police department does it all the time.

Speaking of promotions, it turns out that the mayor is holding up one for Daniels; Royce wants to know what Marla is doing--Marla wants to knock off an ally of Royce.
---

McNulty and Bunk (and Bunk’s son) are at an Orioles game. Jimmy’s here to meet Elena, his ex-wife, and to pick up his sons. He spots her with some dude in a suit. Maybe they’re just friends, Bunk says, but McNulty shakes his head. Guy’s up in the cake. Bunk, for his part, has to head to work; the department caught five tonight, and Ed Norris, who’s already working a scene, tells homicide to put Bunk on the newest one. “I love this town,” Norris says, standing over a body.
---

Johnny and Bubbles sit in their home. Bubbles, he’s feeling rough after an equally rough day. Johnny says tomorrow will be better. Distant gunshots and screams follow. Cutty walks past boarded up rowhouses and fields overrun with grass. It’s his grandmother’s neighborhood.
---

Rawls, heading a ComStat meeting with Burrell, browbeats the poo poo out of Major Marvin Taylor. Rawls is pissed because of the five new bodies and takes it out on the major for shoddy policework in a string of robberies. “Poor loving Marvin,” Colvin tells Lieutenant Mellow. “Better him than us, right?” Mellow answers.
---

Syndor’s getting strapped with a wire for his bust on Lavelle, and McNulty asks if the guy’s ready to sell. Sydnor’s sure. Pearlman discovers that Cedric’s living out of the office. Find your way home, he tells the crew.

The bust goes without a hitch. Somebody snitchin, Sydnor shouts. Shut the gently caress up, Kima tells him, and pats him on the cheek.

The plan works. Drac starts blabbing on the wire. Except Cheese gets promoted instead of Drac. “Ain’t no luck at all to this case,” Lester says.
---

The Daniels marriage has become a sham. Cedric goes to his house and Marla greets him at the door. After a chaste little cheek kiss they hold hands and walk into the living room, where Delegate Odell Watkins and a number of other political contacts are having a meeting. Being married to a lieutenant means a lot to the candidacy, Watkins says. “Anything I can do to help,” Cedric replies. Marla needs his support for her career, and he’s in an unenviable position of using his role to support a spouse to whom career is more important than marriage. After looking longingly at his old bedroom, he falls asleep on a chair in the upstairs hallway and leaves after Marla announces her guests have left. He feels obligated to support Marla for all the years she supported him.
---

Rawls and Burrell walk into Carcetti’s next review meeting to find it thick with the media. Carcetti’s grilling the two of them the way they grilled Marvin Taylor. Coleman Parker, one of Mayor Royce’s aides, is trying to figure out why Carcetti’s made such a show; his district is getting the funds it needs. Parker’s sure he’s angling for the mayor’s seat. Royce shrugs it off--Carcetti’s white in a city that ain’t--but with the rising crime rates, he can knife at the mayor’s advantage, soften Royce up for someone else. Royce and Parker put Burrell in a bad position: they need him to drop the rate of felonies and murders. Royce wants 250 for the year; Burrell tells him it’s already at 232; they aim for 275.

The poo poo Carcetti started rolls downhill. At the next comsat meeting, Burrell and Rawls demand a five percent or more decrease in felonies, and they want the murders below 275. Colvin points out there are ways to juke the stats, sure, but it’s hard to make a body disappear. Laughter’s hidden behind coughing as Rawls stares him down in the way that only Rawls can, mentally filing him away for a lubeless paper-loving later on. Bunny doesn’t give a poo poo; in six months, he’s out on a major’s pension.
---

Major Cases is looking for another approach to their case. McNulty suggests a bug they can’t afford. Pearlman suggests they charge what they can and move on. McNulty’s pissed at the idea; they came down early two years ago, and that’s why Stringer got away in the first place. “You’re tellin me we’re gonna let that same son of a bitch beat me again?” he asks. “How many times you gonna let a cocksucker like Stringer Bell go around the board? Collect another 200? Million?” It’s a clever little analogy, given that Stringer’s playing a real life version of Monopoly--buying up real estate and developing it. “You against the world,” Lester says sarcastically.

Later, McNulty digs out the old Barksdale files. Prez shows up at midnight to relieve Carolyn and finds him looking at the picture of Wallace’s body. “What the hell is all this?” Caroline asks. “Don’t look at what you did before, you do the same poo poo all over,” McNulty says. Time after time. He looks D’Angelo up on a computer.
---

Cutty calls the number Avon gave him and Shamrock gives him a g-pack. Cutty stakes out a corner and realizes that Fruit, one of Marlo’s boys, runs the corner. Cutty offers to sell. Fruit wants an even split; Cutty wants 60/40. Fruit agrees. That night, he goes to meet Fruit and sees a woman giving a back-alley blowjob for a score. Fruit tells him the police snatched it and shoves a gun in his face. “We ain’t back in the day,” Fruit says. “Walk it off, motherfucker.”
---

Lieutenant Mello calls up a meeting of his officers, tells them to stop throwing beer cans on the roof, tells them not to get captured. Colvin goes on a tour through the district. Crime is everywhere he looks. And adding insult to injury, one of Marlo’s corner boys, Justin, tries to hell him some spider bags.

Colvin drives off.
---

That long-rear end play by play out of the way: this episode sets up a number of events and introduces a number of new characters that’ll drive the rest of the series. On the political side of things, we meet Carcetti, Royce, Gray, Watkins, and Parker; in the streets, Marlo and a lot of his crew; some new officers in the police department, and finally, Cutty. Season One, while still very good, was very much a cop show at heart: it set up a case and played the string out to the end. With Season Two, the show began to expand past the story and become what the series is best known for: a long and naked look at the people America forgot. With season three, that approach begins to expand. Over the next nine episodes, three major stories come to pass: Carcetti’s ascension, Bunny’s attempt to legalize drugs in Hamsterdam, and the Barksdale-Stanfield war.

Aside from the towers and the start of the war, there isn't a whole lot in this episode that hits a lot of parallels to the War on Terror and Iraq--which is fair, since it takes time for a reaction after any action. But it's worth looking out for them in future episodes.

Asbury fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jun 2, 2013

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Great job, the parallels with the Iraq War/War on Terror went completely over my head the first time I saw it, which seems unbelievable to me now looking back at how obvious many of them are. Love the note about the boot treading on the "fallen soldiers" in the opening - is it reading too much into it to note that the focus on the dog-fighting is drawing a similar parallel? Loyal and obedient and dying for the profit of their "owners"?

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
I don't think you're reaching far at all. Remember Person's point about the Marine Corps in Generation Kill? "See, the Marine Corps is like America's little pit bull. Beat us, mistreat us, and once in a while they let us out to attack somebody."

Edit: Also, an interesting bit of trivia to make you wonder where the gently caress time went: Today is the 11th anniversary of the first airdate of the show.

:corsair:

Asbury fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jun 2, 2013

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Fantastic write-up, 3romeo!

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Thanks. It isn't as analytical as I would've liked, but the episode was more about setting up the cards for the rest of the series, and aside from some of the larger bits of symbolism (eg the towers), most of it was plot driven. I don't know a lick of poo poo about cinematography or production or any of that so I couldn't justify commenting on it.

I'm binging on season 3 today, and one thing I've been noticing: even though this season came out before the sectarian conflict in Iraq really spooled up, it does a hell of a job forecasting what happened between 2006-2008. (In a later episode, after the Barksdale-Stanfield war heats up, Bubbles even says to Kima, "It's gonna be like Baghdad.") The parallels really work; you have two rival groups fighting for control and a police force trying to stop poo poo from spiraling out of control.

edit: Also, this'll be irrelevant in about 30 minutes (as of 8:09 pm on Sunday, June 2, 2013), but you got avatar hosed, friend.

Asbury fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jun 3, 2013

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan
and shoot him into the trolls base where
ever it is and let him kill all of them. its
so perfect that it can't go wrong.

i think its the best plan i
have ever heard in my life
^^^ and of course, the ironic thing is that the cops actually make things worse - it's one of the great what ifs in the story, what if the cops had raided Avon's hideout just a little later, so he could approve the hit on Marlo?

The only thing that, to me, screws up the Iraq metaphor is knowing Marlo's character - as we see more of him it becomes clear that war with the Barksdales was unavoidable; even if Avon had left him alone, I find it hard to believe he would have stood by and held on to his few corners once he detected weakness in their organization (which happened when Stringer tried to recruit him for the co-op.) I guess the prudent move for Avon would have been to stay on the defensive and wait for Marlo to come to them.

grading essays nude fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 2, 2013

ally_1986
Apr 3, 2011

Wait...I had something for this...

cletepurcel posted:

I guess the prudent move for Avon would have been to stay on the defensive and wait for Marlo to come to them.

To be fair to Avon he had him right where he wanted him and Marlo's death is only stopped by the police raiding Avon.

We missed our shot yo!

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

ally_1986 posted:

We missed our shot yo!

Let's roll, man.

I find it amusing that Slim works closely with Marlo after that, when he was seconds away from being murdered by Slim.

"Life's strange" - Slim, when Poot confronts him with this thought.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
One facet of this episode that always interested me from a history/urban planning perspective was the demolition of the towers (Lafayette Courts), which actually occurred in real life in 1995, years prior to the production of The Wire. Simon and his main collaborator, ex-cop Ed Burns, most likely wrote the first couple seasons as if the towers still existed because they had been a key fixture of the city when they were active on the street in the 1980s to early 1990s. In addition to its metaphorical uses and setting the season's plot in motion, the demolition brought the show's geography and depiction of the drug trade up to date.

The mid-to-late 1990s were actually a key period for urban renewal projects not only in Baltimore but throughout the United States. Being from the midwest, I'm most familiar with the Chicago Housing Authorities actions over the recent period of history. (In)famous housing projects like the Robert Taylor Homes and Cabrini-Green project were slated for demolition in this period, although the process was only completed recently (the last tower at Cabrini-Green came down in 2011). These housing projects were built to provide quality affordable housing for city residents in the optimistic period from the end of WWII through the middle 1960s, but by the 1980s they had become symbols of urban decay, with sky-high unemployment and crime rates. The explosion of the narcotics trade with the advent of crack and the concomitant surge in violent crime was the final straw which justified demolition.

The aim of these redevelopment projects, which were heavily subsidized by the federal government under the HOPE VI program, was to replace high-density and purely residential project towers with lower-density mixed-use neighborhoods. In theory it was the concentration of huge numbers of people and the lack of services and economic outlets for them in their own neighborhoods that had led to social decay. By instead constructing low-rise apartment buildings with commercial spaces at the ground floor, these problems would be ameliorated.

Of course the obvious problem with a lower-density approach is that the number of housing units per unit of area would be much lower, making it impossible to accommodate all the residents displaced by demolition. This issue was exacerbated by delays in the construction of the new units. Many former residents of housing projects had to move out to distant suburbs and often even farther than that, typically by renting apartments with the help of vouchers under HUD's Section 8 housing program. When the CHS demolition project was reaching completion in the late '00s, I was in a smallish university city about four hours' drive from Chicago, and there was a lot of hand-wringing in the local (white) community about the social problems that might result from the (black) Section 8 residents then arriving from Chicago. These people wound up in a great number of cities all over the Midwest.

On the one hand these population movements removed people from blighted neighborhoods, but on the other hand it also left the communities atomized and in unfamiliar situations. A person who had never owned a car and had no resources to purchase one could rely on the dense public transportation networks present at the core of many large American cities, but might be feeling stranded after relocating to a suburban apartment complex or a distant, smaller city with a less effective transit system. They also might find themselves out of touch with their friends or living as isolated "penny packets" of minorities in mostly white areas, where the majority could often be suspicious and unfriendly (as above). The distribution of these people also resulted in Chicago's powerful street gangs, like the Gangster Disciples or Vice Lords, establishing branch operations in the other cities where members landed.

Finally, in a theme that was hit fairly heavily by the third season of the Wire, there is the question of whether these renewal projects were actually intended to benefit residents (many of whom wound up not being residents any longer anyway!) or some other party. Renewal creates opportunities for businessmen in the form of demolition contracts, construction contracts for the replacement structures, increased property values in nearby privately-held real estate. Residents relocate from demolished government-owned housing to units rented by private landlords, so that the Section 8 program functions as a subsidy to the rental industry. And of course, on the Wire, the people we see concretely benefiting from the demolishing of the towers and the resulting flow of HUD money are crooked politicians and real estate developers like Andy Krawczyk.

Sociological studies of the results of urban renewal often show qualified success for the cities involved. For example, overall crime rates have tended to decline noticeably rather than simply being shuffled around geographically. However, the programs are still controversial with advocates for the disadvantages social groups who are primarily affected. As a further anecdote from own experience, up until about a month ago I was living in Toronto (for around 18 months) quite near Regent Park, a low-income neighborhood of mainly public housing. Regent Park is currently benefiting from a major revitalization project; unlike in the US programs I discussed above a lot of new units are being constructed. However, some people working in neighborhood non-profits I spoke with indicated that the new units being constructed were predominantly small single-bedroom units, even though the present character of Regent Park is mostly immigrant families. Their supposition was that Toronto is attempting to alter the composition of the neighborhood towards younger residents, unmarried individuals or couples without children. Here's an article from the Toronto Star from a couple years ago about residents' concerns. Even a program like that, which is very fair by comparison to the US equivalents outlined above (and had some very positive effects that I observed directly), gets mixed reviews from them.

At any rate I should stop running my mouth since urban planning is well outside my expertise, I just find the whole deal interesting and it's not something that this season of the Wire really gets into.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Febreeze posted:

i think the character has a record of being featured in the most television shows. Munch might be a God.

Let me tell you a little something about Hulkamania, brother!

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
I feel that this show managed to so seamlessly and apparently effortlessly tie in such parallels to the Iraq War due to the War on Terror and the War on Drugs being the same bullshit. The same bullshit pushed by the same people for the same reason. Only difference is the location and the targets.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
In Wire cameo news, the guy who played Jay Landsman, Delaney Williams, just popped up in a recent episode of Veep. IMDB has bad cast listings atm, but goddamnit I heard Jay Landsman.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

SpookyLizard posted:

In Wire cameo news, the guy who played Jay Landsman, Delaney Williams, just popped up in a recent episode of Veep. IMDB has bad cast listings atm, but goddamnit I heard Jay Landsman.

Christie finally made it to the whitehouse huh?

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan
and shoot him into the trolls base where
ever it is and let him kill all of them. its
so perfect that it can't go wrong.

i think its the best plan i
have ever heard in my life

SpookyLizard posted:

He was playing a garbage man. Jeez, I guess even Jay couldn't escape the wrath of the bosses forever.

chesh
Apr 19, 2004

That was terrible.

3Romeo posted:

The poo poo Carcetti started rolls downhill. At the next comsat meeting, Burrell and Rawls demand a five percent or more decrease in felonies, and they want the murders below 275. Colvin points out there are ways to juke the stats, sure, but it’s hard to make a body disappear. Laughter’s hidden behind coughing as Rawls stares him down in the way that only Rawls can, mentally filing him away for a lubeless paper-loving later on. Bunny doesn’t give a poo poo; in six months, he’s out on a major’s pension.

The only ONLY thing I think the review is missing is Rawls' line here - "I don't care how you do it" but get the stats down. Bunny takes that literally to heart, and while he knows he's treading a line, Rawls literally gave explicit permission.

EvanSchenck posted:

*words about urban renewal*

I agree with everything you said and wanted to take the opportunity to plug the Pruitt-Ioge Myth which you should be able to catch on Netflix, but is directly about this subject.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

chesh posted:

The only ONLY thing I think the review is missing is Rawls' line here - "I don't care how you do it" but get the stats down. Bunny takes that literally to heart, and while he knows he's treading a line, Rawls literally gave explicit permission.

Colvin's,"Maybe I'll legalize drugs," gets a big laugh from everybody else, but then he goes ahead and does just that.

Rawls as Burrell's attack dog is a hell of a thing, their partnership/combination works so well and kind of creates the impression that Rawls is the power behind the throne. So it's neat to see later on that Burrell didn't get to Commissioner by accident, with Rawls' attempted coup blowing up in his face. The politics of the police are a pretty horrible thing that screws with the city, but it's fascinating to watch the political machinations unfold.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Jerusalem posted:

Colvin's,"Maybe I'll legalize drugs," gets a big laugh from everybody else, but then he goes ahead and does just that.

Hey now, he just elected to ignore them.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Frostwerks posted:

Hey now, he just elected to ignore them.

Concentrate them and ignore them.

Which is a pretty good metaphor for poverty in cities.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

computer parts posted:

Concentrate them and ignore them.

Which is a pretty good metaphor for poverty in cities.

Now that's unfair!

Sometimes they dust them off so somebody like Carcetti can make a rousing, inspiring speech.... and then go back to ignoring them/not even thinking about them.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Jerusalem posted:

Rawls as Burrell's attack dog is a hell of a thing, their partnership/combination works so well and kind of creates the impression that Rawls is the power behind the throne. So it's neat to see later on that Burrell didn't get to Commissioner by accident, with Rawls' attempted coup blowing up in his face. The politics of the police are a pretty horrible thing that screws with the city, but it's fascinating to watch the political machinations unfold.

Is Rawls Deputy Ops at this point? Because if so, that's kind of the role he needs to take. I think again Simon talks about the power structure early on in Homicide where the Deputy Ops is the actual power of the department, while the commissioner takes all the political flak

ScipioAfro
Feb 21, 2011
Great write up, now do another one!

A small moment I really like in this episode is during the ball game Bunks quiet "city is jumping". The first few episodes have this great feeling of his mid summer pressure cooker of a city. Its the first time I've seen a show get across that sense of an dense urban heat, where you can just feel the whole city is more intense then usual. The image of a veteran murder police, just quietly stating that he can feel the city building up is so good.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
I've been meaning to actually do something other than low content posting so I'll call dibs on Ep3-which I can probably have up by Saturday morning-if no one else has already :)

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
EDIT: Double posted like a gump

3spades
Mar 20, 2003

37! My girlfriend sucked 37 dicks!

Customer: In a row?
Cross post from coupons, Bandit64 posted The Wire Complete Series for $79.99 on Amazon.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Wow, I just saw that and bought it. I've been putting off getting all of the DVD's because of how expensive it seemed. Now I just need all the other HBO shows to get this cheap. It's like $50 a season for everything else.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Will there be a write-up for episode 2 anytime soon? :shobon:

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I haven't read most of the thread (too many spoilers) but I just finished season 4 and man.....:smith:

That was a hard season to watch. It just went to a pretty bleak, dark place. I can't wait to finish season 5 though, so I can read this thread and finally discuss some of the themes, characters, and aspects of the show.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Please do! It's always great to get a fresh perspective on the series from a first time viewer, and you WILL end up rewatching multiple times to pick up on things you missed the first time around.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Jerusalem posted:

Will there be a write-up for episode 2 anytime soon? :shobon:

Yea I hope I'm not being a dick but I depend on these write-ups to get me through the work day! But seriously, the thread really slows down when there aren't any new episode write-ups to discuss so thats kind of a bummer.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
on a note apropros of nothing, this year is the 25th anniversary of the year Simon embedded himself with the Baltimore Homicide department. And again, I'm re-reading that book again, and it's brilliant. Sample dialogue below:

quote:

Quietly, almost casually, Jackson tells the detectives that he made his payment to Mr Plumer yesterday afternoon; then the old man took the money and drove away.
"And I don't know nothing about no murder," he continues, his voice breaking, "until I called my mother's house from work and was told THAT THERE IS A MOTHERFUCKING BODY IN MY BASEMENT!"
The first half of the sentence is tense but quiet, but the last part is a wild rant, a shout that pierces the interrogation room doors and be heard clearly down the other end of the sixth floor hall.
Seated on either side of the suspect, the detectives look at each other for a moment, then down at the table. Garvey is biting his lip.
"Could, ah, you excuse us for just a moment," says McAllister, addressing the suspect as if he were Emily Post and the man just used the wrong salad fork. "We just need to discuss something and we'll be right back with you in just a second, okay?"
Jackson nods, twitching.
The two detectives walk silently out of the room and close the metal door behind them. They manage to make it to the annex office before they both double over, convulsed by the force of suppressed laughter.
"THERE'S A BODY IN MY BASEMENT!"

in short, buy this book

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
I only contracted myself for "Time After Time" and "Mission Accomplished" and given the work I put into just that one write up, it kinda blows my mind how Jerusalem and escape artist were able to do so many.

So somebody else step up! :mad:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm on it, chief! :)

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
I meant besides you guys. Find some corner boys.

(Edit: seriously, I spent about six hours watching [and re-watching] that one episode in order to nail the play-by-play, in addition to researching characters, looking up police jargon, and doing the write-up. That you two have done all of season one and two kinda blows my mind.)

Asbury fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jun 13, 2013

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
To be fair, I think I did four episodes, and he did twenty.

It is really grueling. That's why I dropped the ball. Thankfully Jerus was there to pick it up.

Between the screen shots, making connections/parallels with other points in the show, pointing out easter eggs, writing the summary and analyses, and adding bits of trivia from the commentaries and other articles, it was about 3 hours per episode for me.

I would take so long in between episodes that I got a lot of polite PMs that essentially echoed Stringer Bell's final words. (Get on with it, motherfucker!)

escape artist fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jun 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The day that I find having to watch an episode of The Wire a chore is the day that.... I will be very depressed.