Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
My laptop for work is biting the dust and I'm being asked to pick out a machine from bestbuy.com or http://www.bhphotovideo.com/ for a replacement. Budget is under $1,400.

I am a windows guy but I dont mind getting a mac as long as I can bootcamp it (thats simple right?) -

It looks like they already have some haswell laptops, but the only options are these for an i5: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Processor+Type_Intel+Core+i5+Haswell&ci=18818&N=4110474292+4033986829

Which seems sort of pathetic on clock speed, 1.3ghz? Is that $1,300 option acceptable or is there a current better option? I want to play some games (not too crazy, I have a desktop for the intensive ones) but I also don't want a dog either. Am I better off trying to wait a little longer if I can?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sports
Sep 1, 2012
What I advise you to do is purchase a MacBook Air, 13", with this- or last-years' processor generation. HD 4000 is really capable, and HD 5000 is overkill (in my point of view) but if you like games for the eye candy and not for the actual gameplay then pay the premium for a new one.

sports
Sep 1, 2012

BotchedLobotomy posted:

My laptop for work is biting the dust and I'm being asked to pick out a machine from bestbuy.com or http://www.bhphotovideo.com/ for a replacement. Budget is under $1,400.

I am a windows guy but I dont mind getting a mac as long as I can bootcamp it (thats simple right?) -

It looks like they already have some haswell laptops, but the only options are these for an i5: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Processor+Type_Intel+Core+i5+Haswell&ci=18818&N=4110474292+4033986829

Which seems sort of pathetic on clock speed, 1.3ghz? Is that $1,300 option acceptable or is there a current better option? I want to play some games (not too crazy, I have a desktop for the intensive ones) but I also don't want a dog either. Am I better off trying to wait a little longer if I can?

Pick up last (or this, if you wait) year's 13" MBA or just get a Samsung Chromebook for the sake of having a work laptop.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Just how big is an OSX install? I wouldn't mind going the Air route, but if you only get a 128GB, with both a Windows and OSX install, you're gonna get pinched for space.

Does the Air take an mSATA SSD, and is it user replaceable?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

sports posted:

While touch-based interfaces are cool, the gimmick wears off quickly and you'll probably end up just using the laptop as you normally would.
Such is the fate of literally every touch screen/convertible laptop I know.
That's what a lot of people say that haven't used them (me included). Then you read reviews from AnandTech and people say they find themselves reaching for the screen to do simple stuff like scrolling more often than the touchpad. The thought of a fingerprint-covered screen doesn't really appeal to me, though.

VulgarandStupid posted:

It's an mSATA SSD, but it's not a normal one. I think OWC is the only place that sells ones for the Air.

sports
Sep 1, 2012

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

That's what a lot of people say that haven't used them (me included). Then you read reviews from AnandTech and people say they find themselves reaching for the screen to do simple stuff like scrolling more often than the touchpad. The thought of a fingerprint-covered screen doesn't really appeal to me, though.
I'm going off of a fleet purchase where 90% of people thought they'd use the 'tops for notes and stuff but ended up just using them like normative human beings

Also, as Haswell rolls out, I say one thing:

Nobody should have to buy discrete graphics in a laptop past June. Nobody.
Unless, of course, you are a solid modeler who makes 1000 part assemblies in Inventor while working in a nomadic tribe. You do not really need the mediocre graphical gains that are present in a laptop graphics card.

HD 5000 is really capable and should cover everyone except extremely niche professional markets.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

BotchedLobotomy posted:

Which seems sort of pathetic on clock speed, 1.3ghz?
It turbos up to 2.6GHz or whatever, it's not like the old ULV chips that were stuck at 1.3GHz.

VulgarandStupid posted:

The new Air has gone to a PCI-E SSD, OWC sold a replacement for the old version which used an Air-only SATA SSD. The physical connection is the same but they aren't compatible with each other. I'd expect OWC to release an upgrade kit, but it will be expensive.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies
Has there been any word on when the new thinkpads will roll out? Nothing on Google reveals anything and I'm unsure how far behind things lag for them.

Though, about the Macbook Air, it would be able to handle games to some extent? What would really make the CPU strain as I'm the HD 5000 wouldn't be the first bottleneck on the system (and it'd allow for meh framerates on most modern games turned down low right? Do people release benchmarks for macbooks somewhere?). I'm a bit split on which computer I'd want as I think both types would work for me.

Master_Odin fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jun 11, 2013

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Someone in the last thread mentioned that a sales rep told them they'd be announcing refreshes on the 13th

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Master_Odin posted:

Has there been any word on when the new thinkpads will roll out? Nothing on Google reveals anything and I'm unsure how far behind things lag for them.

Though, about the Macbook Air, it would be able to handle games to some extent? What would really make the CPU strain as I'm the HD 5000 wouldn't be the first bottleneck on the system (and it'd allow for meh framerates on most modern games turned down low right? Do people release benchmarks for macbooks somewhere?). I'm a bit split on which computer I'd want as I think both types would work for me.

Haswell processors are more than fast enough for basically any game. The GPU will be the bottleneck if you're cranking settings up, or trying to play metro last light or something. Otherwise, it'll be fine.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

sports posted:

While touch-based interfaces are cool, the gimmick wears off quickly and you'll probably end up just using the laptop as you normally would.
Such is the fate of literally every touch screen/convertible laptop I know.

Is it possible for you to post a fact in this thread, or at least a link to at least support your statement? Looking through your ambitious post history in this brand new thread, you aren't contributing anything here.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Hadlock posted:

Is it possible for you to post a fact in this thread, or at least a link to at least support your statement? Looking through your ambitious post history in this brand new thread, you aren't contributing anything here.

We determined sports was a troll a long time ago.

sports
Sep 1, 2012

Hadlock posted:

I don't consider numerical quantities "stats" or "evidence" in computer recommendation, aside from the price.

I'm going off of honest, personal, observation in situ to better direct prospective buyers to the right path.
I'm terribly sorry I can't provide numbers for your liking. I'm more about what a laptop "does", not what it "is". And even then, numbers aren't going to factor into what the laptop "is", after all.

Honestly, I'd rather give people a straightforward recommendation than subject them to the pains and horrors that is "tech journalism". Engadget, The Verge, etc., etc., are all really lovely and poorly written- and I can't begin to fathom what kind of masochism/autism it takes to read about clock rates and benchmarks all day.

I just wish people would focus on qualitative, day-to-day uses when choosing a laptop. I'm glad that you do monitor these threads for content.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

Someone in the last thread mentioned that a sales rep told them they'd be announcing refreshes on the 13th

I'd also like to note that the prices on Ivy Bridge models seem to be lilting downward even harder than before. The T430s is now <$800 on the main site, before it would be just under $800 on the B&N Gold portal. So the 13th, or "soon", seems to be quite realistic.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Hadlock posted:

Is it possible for you to post a fact in this thread, or at least a link to at least support your statement?

A link to what? How would a link be useful?

sports
Sep 1, 2012

shrughes posted:

I'd also like to note that the prices on Ivy Bridge models seem to be lilting downward even harder than before. The T430s is now <$800 on the main site, before it would be just under $800 on the B&N Gold portal. So the 13th, or "soon", seems to be quite realistic.

This is a very good deal. If anyone wants a new laptop, be sure to check out last year's selection of ThinkPads and MacBooks.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Scrolling with a touchscreen on Windows 8 isn't pretty. Two finger trackpad scrolling (or even hitting the spacebar) is far better, because with Windows 8 (at least with IE) you have to drag the page at the speed your finger moves. There's no acceleration. If IE had a Kindle-style tap-the-right-side-of-the-screen-for-page-down, it would be a lot better. (Incidentally, phones also would be vastly improved. When I made a Hacker News iPhone reader app, adding big long invisible buttons on the left and right sides for pagedown/pageup made for a much better experience than the browser's drag-based scrolling.)

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005
Here is a German review of the new T431s
http://www.notebookcheck.com/Test-Lenovo-ThinkPad-T431s-Ultrabook.93580.0.html

- This will be the design of thinkpads to come
- No Clamshell
- Body feels less sturdy than older models
- Screen is thinner and is of lesser built quality than previous offers, which was already their weak point
- Still Milspec
- Less connection ports
- Still good access to most components via removable back plate BUT
- BATTERY NON REMOVABLE
- The keyboard is good
- No thinklight (bummer lol)
- The new touchpad is good, but of course without the buttons its automatically poo poo so it is poo poo
- The display is still not very good
- Battery power is what you would expect

It's another definite but logical step in the direction of a consumer notebook. It gives ultrabook status and is a lot more portable.
Thinkpads become less and less sturdy and try to be more pretty. Removal of the top mouse buttons is a terrible idea but since the nipple mouse will probably not survive another model iteration anyway it doesn't matter. Removal of the clamshell design is a bummer, as is the worse build quality. The non-removable battery is a disaster.
Other than that it is a good computer, but then so is an Apple.
I don't really see any improvement as such but since you have to move somehwere I understand the direction they are going. I guess buying a cheap T430 or somesuch in the next months would be nice. I have the slight hope that they might chose to go back to a more sturdy and traditional design for the W series but there's no indication for it.

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib

Boner Slam posted:

Thinkpads become less and less sturdy and try to be more pretty. Removal of the top mouse buttons is a terrible idea but since the nipple mouse will probably not survive another model iteration anyway it doesn't matter. Removal of the clamshell design is a bummer, as is the worse build quality. The non-removable battery is a disaster.
Other than that it is a good computer, but then so is an Apple.
I don't really see any improvement as such but since you have to move somehwere I understand the direction they are going. I guess buying a cheap T430 or somesuch in the next months would be nice. I have the slight hope that they might chose to go back to a more sturdy and traditional design for the W series but there's no indication for it.

Where are you getting that it's less sturdy / worse build quality than the old design? I can't see it in the review. I've had the X1 Carbon for a bit over half a year and it withstands travel and my general clumsiness just as well as my old T420s. The non-clamshell design is fine I think, it doesn't open spontaneously when you drop it. I agree the buttons being gone is terrible, the touchpad isn't bad but I have it disabled anyway.

Although the X1 Carbon seems great for travel, the limited connection options make it impractical. Having to drag along adapters for VGA (that don't work half the time) and ethernet defeats the point of a small laptop really. If there's a Haswell refresh (or is that going to be 440s?) with non terrible screen I'll probably get it.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
The T431s's battery is replaceable, you just need a screwdriver: http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?DocID=PD026726

Also, being less sturdy (if it even is so) makes sense when the product doesn't cost $1800 (in 2004 dollars) anymore.

shrughes fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jun 11, 2013

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
I want:

-15" (13" if I can't afford what I want in 15") with at least 1600x900 hopefully
-Intel core (anything)
-Dedicated graphics in the mid-range
-SSD (hopefully)
-$800-ish

I want this in a 'normal' laptop form factor. I don't want a GAMING laptop, but I do want to be able to play 'real games' if I need to. I find it difficult to find a laptop like this with dedicated graphics.

I can probably pick something out like this on newegg, but I was hoping someone had a specific recommendation for brand/model. I want to know that it's not going to overheat/get extremely hot or extremely loud with the fans. I understand this will probably happen during gaming, but I don't want it happening at desktop. I also want good build quality and there are a lot of brands out there. I'm ok with even no-name or off-brands if they make a good laptop.

Also, I actually would like to perhaps get this as a refurb/used laptop as I really don't care if it's brand new. Are there any good refurb or used laptop sites besides ebay? I don't like Ebay.

sports
Sep 1, 2012

Bleh Maestro posted:

I want:

-15" (13" if I can't afford what I want in 15") with at least 1600x900 hopefully
-Intel core (anything)
-Dedicated graphics in the mid-range
-SSD (hopefully)
-$800-ish

I want this in a 'normal' laptop form factor. I don't want a GAMING laptop, but I do want to be able to play 'real games' if I need to. I find it difficult to find a laptop like this with dedicated graphics.

I can probably pick something out like this on newegg, but I was hoping someone had a specific recommendation for brand/model. I want to know that it's not going to overheat/get extremely hot or extremely loud with the fans. I understand this will probably happen during gaming, but I don't want it happening at desktop. I also want good build quality and there are a lot of brands out there. I'm ok with even no-name or off-brands if they make a good laptop.

Also, I actually would like to perhaps get this as a refurb/used laptop as I really don't care if it's brand new. Are there any good refurb or used laptop sites besides ebay? I don't like Ebay.

Closest I can think of is a T430.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

sports posted:

Closest I can think of is a T430.

It looks like They only have one dedicated graphics option and it's on the low end. At least when I just went through their little 'build your own' program just now. But, I'll do a bit of digging and see if that card may be satisfactory to me.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Bleh Maestro posted:

It looks like They only have one dedicated graphics option and it's on the low end. At least when I just went through their little 'build your own' program just now. But, I'll do a bit of digging and see if that card may be satisfactory to me.

Have you checked out the new integrated graphics in Haswell? It's come a long, long way.

sports
Sep 1, 2012

Bleh Maestro posted:

You might want to get a Haswell HD 5000 laptop.

Integrated graphics perform just as well as even higher-range mobile GPUs, nowadays.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

sports posted:

You might want to get a Haswell HD 5000 laptop.

Integrated graphics perform just as well as even higher-range mobile GPUs, nowadays.

Not quite, seeing as the 780m is pretty drat close to equivalent to a desktop 680. That said, the HD5000 is still very good.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Hey hey, I posted this in the hardware questions thread and they sent me over here. I'm tossing up between two laptops,

1) Samsung (forgot to catch the model number on this)
2.4 Ghz intel i7
8Gb DDR3 RAM
1 TB SATA HDD
Radeon HD 7670M

2) Sony SVE15129CGB
3.2 Ghz Intel i7-363QM
4Gb DDR3 (+4Gb optional upgrade to a total of 8)
750Gb SATA HDD
ATI HD 7650M 2Gb

They're both researched, and are the two best I've found in my price range and with availability. I'm tempted by the Sony due to the higher clockspeed but at the same time I'm concerned it might be noisy, especially after a year or two.

Ideal use is InDesign with large file sizes, but it wouldn't hurt to play a game or two on there as well.

InstantInfidel
Jan 9, 2010

BEST :10bux: I EVER SPENT

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

Not quite, seeing as the 780m is pretty drat close to equivalent to a desktop 680. That said, the HD5000 is still very good.

What he meant was actual moible GPUs, IE ones that are feasible to carry around. :v:

Clown Meadows
Jul 13, 2003

YARRRR! Where be the gray matter up in this piece, son?
Tossing up between a 13" rMBP or one of the new 13" MacBook Airs. Can anyone weigh in with some advice or things I should be considering?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Clown Meadows posted:

Tossing up between a 13" rMBP or one of the new 13" MacBook Airs. Can anyone weigh in with some advice or things I should be considering?
One has a great screen and the other has great battery life.

Zekky
Feb 27, 2013
I'm looking to buy a new laptop to replace my Dell M1730 and could use some recommendations.

I'd like one capable of playing modern games, streaming and other GPU/CPU intensive activities. I also would like a 15 inch monitor at least. Essentially I want a good amount of power in a reasonably sized machine.

My budget is 1500 dollars.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Clown Meadows posted:

On what time frame? The CPU refresh is pretty big for battery life and graphics. The new Airs should have a faster GPU than the outgoing rMBP. The Air is a better buy at the moment because its a brand-new refresh and should actually end up pretty similar in single-threaded speed.

Whenever the Haswell rMBP comes out it'll be a harder question.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
Also worth considering is that the Air natively runs at 1440x900. The rMBP runs at doubled 1280x800. You can scale it to retina-esque 1440x900 or (I presume) 1680x1050, and it'll look pretty good. But you might feel like a bad person, since really it's scaling down 2880x1800 or 3360x2100 down to 2560x1600. My general feeling is that if you want a machine for doing work on, the 13" rMBP would be better. But then really maybe you just want the 15" rMBP, if screen pixelage is so important to you. (And why would that be? Because you don't have a real place to work, with monitors to plug in to. I think a 13" laptop is something where you would be using its built-in screen infrequently enough, unless you're a college student or on-the-go salesguy, that it's not worth the cost of the IPS retina screen (paid in weight, battery life, and dollars). However, your situation might be such that it is. These factors depend upon what your life is like.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Brain In A Jar posted:

Hey hey, I posted this in the hardware questions thread and they sent me over here. I'm tossing up between two laptops,

1) Samsung (forgot to catch the model number on this)
2.4 Ghz intel i7
8Gb DDR3 RAM
1 TB SATA HDD
Radeon HD 7670M

2) Sony SVE15129CGB
3.2 Ghz Intel i7-363QM
4Gb DDR3 (+4Gb optional upgrade to a total of 8)
750Gb SATA HDD
ATI HD 7650M 2Gb

They're both researched, and are the two best I've found in my price range and with availability. I'm tempted by the Sony due to the higher clockspeed but at the same time I'm concerned it might be noisy, especially after a year or two.

Ideal use is InDesign with large file sizes, but it wouldn't hurt to play a game or two on there as well.

It's hard to say anything without knowing which models you're comparing. However the Sony E series is a consumer level laptop, I've had one for 3 years and while it's been great for round the house I don't think it would stand up to a significant amount of abuse. I probably wouldn't want to carry it around with me if that's what you're doing.

You've chosen one with a 1366 x 768 screen which would be a bad choice for design work.

This is probably all redundant because haswell integrated GPUs mean that the choices you've made are obsolete - but I'll let someone else come up with recommendations for what you should get (Vaio Pro looks nice?)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Hmmm while battery is much better than the T430s its still not enough - they're definitely falling behind the competition there :/

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

dissss posted:

Hmmm while battery is much better than the T430s its still not enough - they're definitely falling behind the competition there :/

It's on an Ivy chip, not Haswell. That laptop has been out for a few months already.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
Does MSI have a jump on the haswell release? They are the only ones I can find with haswell chips.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Macbook Air has it

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
I'm excluding apple...and talking about windows laptops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Bleh Maestro posted:

I'm excluding apple...and talking about windows laptops.

Why are you excluding Apple? The Macbook Airs are perfectly good machines, and it's not too crazy anymore to buy a Mac and then never run OSX ever on it.