Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
So with Firefox Sync, am I simply stuck with the e-mail address I made the account under? So if I change e-mail addresses, I guess that means I have to create a new sync account and switch everything over (and hope it keeps)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Axiem posted:

So with Firefox Sync, am I simply stuck with the e-mail address I made the account under? So if I change e-mail addresses, I guess that means I have to create a new sync account and switch everything over (and hope it keeps)?

Yes. Make sure firefox is synced, disconnect the device and create a new account. Then repeat on the other devices.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
I must be overlooking something incredibly simple, but why am I not seeing anyway to add authentication credentials for a VPN/SOCKS5 connection? :saddowns:

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

eightysixed posted:

I must be overlooking something incredibly simple, but why am I not seeing anyway to add authentication credentials for a VPN/SOCKS5 connection? :saddowns:
For security reasons credentials are stored and managed through the password manager, you'll be prompted for them when you first use the proxy.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Alereon posted:

For security reasons credentials are stored and managed through the password manager, you'll be prompted for them when you first use the proxy.

Nothing pops up though, I just keep getting "Connection Reset" errors. I can verify the SOCKS5 working, as I can connect via AIM, Skype, and IE9 all fine. Unfortunately, I don't use any of those applications, and using a Proxy through IE seems to change the network configuration for the ENTIRE system :suicide: I just need to dedicate 1 browser to a VPN. Any ideas?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
No I think the IE setting is indeed for everything on the system.
I think you should try Opera or Chrome instead. They might ignore it.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Yea, like I said, IE does change the network settings for the whole system, which is ridiculous. Also, I don't see Authentication fields for SOCKS5 on Opera or Chrome either :confused:

eightysixed fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jun 5, 2013

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

eightysixed posted:

Yea, like I said, IE does change the network settings for the whole system, which is ridiculous. Also, I don't see Authentication fields for SOCKS5 on Opera or Chrome either :confused:

Have you tried an addon such as FireProxy?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
For anyone with a large phone and Firefox mobile: it is NOT possible to disable the small tablet UI and switch back to the phone UI. This is because it isn't Firefox setting the UI, the app developer provides resource bundles for various device sizes and Android picks the one it will use. If your device has a resolution and dpi that makes it count as a small tablet to Android, you get the small tablet UI. A horribly kludgey thing that may not work is simply unpacking the .apk and renaming the resource directory you want to match the one it's using, but even if it works it would break on update I'm pretty sure. Longer-term Mozilla has a project to make the UI swappable between left-handed/right-handed mode, currently the small tablet UI is left-handed only which is a problem on phones used by right-handers.

Edit: I found a better workaround, setting the dpi one above the cutoff. For example, my problem started when I lowered the dpi from 320 to 240. I fixed it by raising the dpi to 241.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jun 10, 2013

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I've been trying to get more vertical space, moved my taskbar to left side and now tried disabling Menu Bar in Firefox 21.0.

I'm running 64bit Win8 Pro with 13.4 Catalyst drivers. The Minimize/Maximize/Close buttons are displayed as a solid black box without the menu bar, and if I try to click them nothing happens.

Switching between my theme and default theme didn't help with the issue.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Is there a way to switch the library for downloads back to the old thing I had before it? This is just not good and makes me wonder why they took something completely functional and made it worse.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Aquila posted:

Is there a way to switch the library for downloads back to the old thing I had before it? This is just not good and makes me wonder why they took something completely functional and made it worse.
Pretty much everyone agrees that the new download manager/library is a vast improvement over the old one. I don't think there's any way to switch back, but is there some functionality that you're missing?

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

Aquila posted:

You can set browser.download.useToolkitUI to True in about :config, and possibly use this if the look and feel still isn't to your liking https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/download-manager-tweak/?src=search

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

Aquila posted:

Seriously? Are you sure you're using it right?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Dice Dice Baby posted:

Seriously? Are you sure you're using it right?

It actually is a bit annoying that you can't just get the basic download window thingy, but I don't care enough to find an extension to revert that.

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

Install Gentoo posted:

It actually is a bit annoying that you can't just get the basic download window thingy, but I don't care enough to find an extension to revert that.

(hint: see 2 posts above yours)

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Gerudo Rivera posted:

(hint: see 2 posts above yours)

That's pretty much nothing like the old style download window I have in mind.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Gerudo Rivera posted:

You can set browser.download.useToolkitUI to True in about :config, and possibly use this if the look and feel still isn't to your liking https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/download-manager-tweak/?src=search

Thanks the config change seems to be just what I wanted.

Alereon posted:

Pretty much everyone agrees that the new download manager/library is a vast improvement over the old one. I don't think there's any way to switch back, but is there some functionality that you're missing?

Lot's of wasted space, the mysterious empty button that cancels the download and wastes space, no apparent way to choose how long the history goes back (on my windows desktop at home it only ever shows two items, ubuntu at work it shows everything), not being able to view history and downloads at the same time. I feel like if they were going to do anything they should have copied chrome's download management.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Aquila posted:

Lot's of wasted space, the mysterious empty button that cancels the download and wastes space, no apparent way to choose how long the history goes back (on my windows desktop at home it only ever shows two items, ubuntu at work it shows everything), not being able to view history and downloads at the same time. I feel like if they were going to do anything they should have copied chrome's download management.
This is what the Firefox download manager looks like, you have a down arrow icon in the UI that shows the progress of downloads. When clicked it brings up a doorhangar with current and recent downloads, with a "Show all downloads" button at the bottom to show your full download history as well as downloads in progress. I mean, you're allowed to not like the UI and/or have different opinions, it just seems like your complaints are exactly what the new download manager solved so it makes me wonder if it just wasn't working on your profile or something.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
Configured Download Statusbar years ago and never looked back...

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Alereon posted:

This is what the Firefox download manager looks like, you have a down arrow icon in the UI that shows the progress of downloads. When clicked it brings up a doorhangar with current and recent downloads, with a "Show all downloads" button at the bottom to show your full download history as well as downloads in progress. I mean, you're allowed to not like the UI and/or have different opinions, it just seems like your complaints are exactly what the new download manager solved so it makes me wonder if it just wasn't working on your profile or something.

Interesting, that looks fine, but it's not what I'm getting:

I am running a few extensions (though none that I thought would change that) and the theme I will run on my browser until the end of time, so something is likely messing with it. I tried adding the download icon back to my bar but after the first click it disapearred and left an inch wide blank spot and triggered the same download window shown above. Basically this:

Since the problem is probably on my end I'll try a fresh firefox install somewhere to see if I can figure out what's causing this.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Looks like the theme you're so dead set on using hasn't been updated for the download manager changes.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Yeah, something's wrong with your setup.

I think the new little green button with a tiny progress bar is great and compact, but the Library window is a disaster. What does Downloads have to do with a "Library"? Second, it has the typical modern huge amounts of line space, which infuriates me to no end. Oh well, all I want is a reasonable status while I'm downloading; couldn't care less about a history of my downloads.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Hogburto posted:

Configured Download Statusbar years ago and never looked back...

This is me as well. I haven't messed with the download window since at least version 7(?).

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Someone please tell me how to edit an add-on in Firefox while that add-on is disabled and I think I'll have a major problem solved. I'm working with an add-on that prevents the user from making changes to add-ons, so of course I can only work with it while the add-on is disabled, but Firefox doesn't normally allow me to edit the add-on's options.

edit: Any tips for handling erratic and unpredictable behaviour from Firefox? My problems are recurring but difficult to test because the program doesn't start up consistently even when started with the same settings and add-ons enabled.

Chamale fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jun 11, 2013

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Chamale posted:

Someone please tell me how to edit an add-on in Firefox while that add-on is disabled and I think I'll have a major problem solved. I'm working with an add-on that prevents the user from making changes to add-ons, so of course I can only work with it while the add-on is disabled, but Firefox doesn't normally allow me to edit the add-on's options.
Can you please elaborate about what you're trying to do? You can change an add-on's options while it is disabled, just click the Disable button, right-click, Options.

If you're having inconsistent behavior that points to a hardware problem with your machine, usually a failing harddrive. Run Crystal Disk Info, any drives showing Caution or Bad are failing and will need to be replaced. If you have any non-Microsoft antivirus/firewall/Internet security software installed, uninstall it (merely disabling it wouldn't help at all, it has to be completely uninstalled from the system).

Alereon fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jun 11, 2013

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Alereon posted:

Can you please elaborate about what you're trying to do? You can change an add-on's options while it is disabled, just click the Disable button, right-click, Options.

I'm trying to create a kiosk that will access a certain site stored on the computer's hard drive as an .html. I want a kiosk mode that will not allow the user to exit the browser or type into the url or search bars, but that still has a back button. I was under the impression that the Webconverger add-on could do that but now it no longer works as it did when first installed earlier today.

I don't see how to change the add-on's options. Here's what it looks like when I right-click on Disable:

I don't necessarily need to make this work in Firefox, Opera or Chrome would be fine too. I just want to make a kiosk for navigating these pages where the user can't go browsing other websites.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
I looked at that and didn't see any way to adjust kiosk settings besides using the customer webportal on the webconverger site.
It's behavior after installation and restart did not change for me between subsequent Firefox restarts.

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jun 11, 2013

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Compared to Chrome and IE, there's some kind of "FPS drop" when I watch 1080p Youtube videos in Firefox. I don't know what add-on could be causing it, or maybe that's a known issue?

EDIT: Aha, disable hardware accleration. Pfft.

midnightclimax fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jun 12, 2013

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Video playback has gotten so bad for me in Firefox that I've started using a second browser (Chrome or the new webkit Opera) to watch videos while using FF for my general browsing needs. I'm running a nightly build and have a bunch of extensions so I don't even know who to blame or why and I don't really care. Videos in a second window works better for me in the end, so why not do them in a separate browser rather than just a second window of my primary browser.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

xamphear posted:

Video playback has gotten so bad for me in Firefox that I've started using a second browser (Chrome or the new webkit Opera) to watch videos while using FF for my general browsing needs. I'm running a nightly build and have a bunch of extensions so I don't even know who to blame or why and I don't really care. Videos in a second window works better for me in the end, so why not do them in a separate browser rather than just a second window of my primary browser.

Yeah, I'm still not entirely convinced disabling hardware accel fixed it. It's better. But is it as smooth as Chrome? I've given up comparing videos for today, it's not a high priority issue for me anyway. We'll see. (maybe I'll start using a second browser as well, eh)

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

xamphear posted:

I'm doing that too. Uninstalled flash ages ago, and been using Chrome since to watch videos. Nowdays my Firefox freezes completely for a minute or two if there's a video on a webpage.

Awesome_Tool
Dec 10, 2008
I have a fairly clean separate profile i use for Firefox, i compared the plugins, and fingers crossed it might make a difference.

but yes Firefox performance truly has hit the gutter, and very doubtful if it will ever recover.

Chrome doesnt have todo much now for me to use it as my primary.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

midnightclimax posted:

Yeah, I'm still not entirely convinced disabling hardware accel fixed it. It's better. But is it as smooth as Chrome? I've given up comparing videos for today, it's not a high priority issue for me anyway. We'll see. (maybe I'll start using a second browser as well, eh)

It's worth noting that Chrome has it's own, separate version of flash. Comparing Chrome to Firefox for flash video playback isn't comparing like with like, as it's probably a flash plugin problem.

Try going into the plugin options in Chrome and disabling the built-in flash PPAPI plugin, then try playing the same videos you're having problems with. If the still stutter, it's the flash plugin's fault.

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

wooger posted:

Try going into the plugin options in Chrome and disabling the built-in flash PPAPI plugin, then try playing the same videos you're having problems with. If the still stutter, it's the flash plugin's fault.

I'd wager it's flash's fault, it's such a terrible plugin

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
One of the reasons I'm on the nightly build is so I could get the h.264 dxva support. It's not just flash videos that suck, though they definitely suck more. It's also worthwhile to note that flash videos in other browsers, even when using the flash plugin (ie: not Chrome's built-in one) suck less.

I also like opening up multiple background tabs and having the browser slow to a crawl while they all load, making continued browsing in the current tab stutter and hang. I remain convinced that whoever at Mozilla decided to completely abandon per-process-tabs (a feature every single other browser has now) is a short-sighted fool. It looks like https://wiki.mozilla.org/Electrolysis started up again last month, but who knows what that means, or how many people they have actively working on it.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
While it wasn't named "Electrolysis", Mozilla has been working heavily to move operations off the main thread, which serves the same purpose of eliminating lag and hitching. Each version of Firefox has had significant improvements in UI responsiveness and reductions in jank. The "Snappy Project" was what this was called before they got all the low-hanging fruit and broke it up. It's also important to remember that the decision not to implement one-process-per-tab contributes to Firefox having the lowest memory usage of any browser by a significant margin.

If you're having problems with Firefox, especially performance problems, make sure you have the latest video drivers for your system. Hardware acceleration will be disabled if you have old drivers, and this murders rendering performance. Also make sure that you don't have any third-party (non-Microsoft) antivirus/firewall/Internet security apps installed, it is critical that you not allow any plug-ins from security products to be enabled in Firefox, even if the apps must be active on the system (on your work machine for example). Making a clean profile is also always a good idea, you can reinstall your extensions or plug-ins or just switch back to your old profile once you resolve the issue.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
I'm going to be a little over in the top in my responses here, but don't take them personally. I just want to highlight how silly some of this stuff is.

Alereon posted:

The "Snappy Project" was what this was called before they got all the low-hanging fruit and broke it up.
Low hanging fruit is exactly how I'd describe it too, and how ambitious that was of them.

Alereon posted:

It's also important to remember that the decision not to implement one-process-per-tab contributes to Firefox having the lowest memory usage of any browser by a significant margin.
Which is awesome, because with 4 to 8 gigs of RAM in almost all PCs, and half of it sitting there never being used, I can see how having a mid-2000s dedication to memory footprint really benefits end users.

Alereon posted:

If you're having problems with Firefox, especially performance problems, make sure you have the latest video drivers for your system.
Seeing this advice constantly really just hammers home how rickety FF's hardware acceleration is. IE and Chome don't fall apart when the graphics drivers aren't absolutely bleeding edge (ie: there have been multiple posts in this thread about installing beta graphics drivers).

At the end of the day, FF is by far the most customizable browser, which is why I still use it. The drawback is that it's also really, really janky. More and more it feels like using it is some sort of "power user" project, where in order to get the control I want, I'm having to spend increasing amounts of time tending to its quirks.

NullPtr4Lunch
Jun 22, 2012
Janky is right... I just want tab process isolation. I'm sick and tired of one stupid website's javascript making the whole browser sit there "Not Responding" until it decides to finish or ask me if i want to let it finish... Ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

xamphear posted:

I'm going to be a little over in the top in my responses here, but don't take them personally. I just want to highlight how silly some of this stuff is.
It really feels like you're just being contrary for its own sake. The reality is that you disagree with some priorities and choices made by the Mozilla team, and rather than consider why they might be doing something differently than you think they should, you're just deciding that they're stupid and wrong. I get where you're coming from, I've felt that way before, but when I actually took the time to dig into why something was done or ask on IRC, I got a clear explanation and gained even more confidence in the decision-making. If you just can't imagine why they would have done something a particular way, it really is just that you're missing something important.

To address a single example from your post, reducing Firefox's memory usage was very important for users. It's easy to say that everyone has enough RAM, but that simply isn't true. Remember that Firefox is supported on phones with very little RAM and there's a lot of commonality between the desktop and mobile versions (aside from UI). It's also true that high memory usage was one of the single largest complaints about Firefox, valid or not, and reducing memory usage made people feel a lot better about Firefox. Finally, keep in mind that it's not like they just slashed and burned memory caches or something, they worked to waste less memory and fix leaks.