Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's not crazy if you don't mind the Mac running really hot and having lovely battery life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Bleh Maestro posted:

I'm excluding apple...and talking about windows laptops.

Macbook Air is just a windows ultrabook with some goofy unix fischer price hybrid OS preinstalled. Windows 8 has some goofy problems, but it's completely normal to install Win 7 on them.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/2/10/2787484/macbook-air-with-windows-7-review-the-ultrabook-to-rule-them-all

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

You end up losing one of the Air's biggest strengths: Long battery life

The Verge posted:

In Boot Camp, the Air lasted four hours and 11 minutes and in Parallels four hours and 28 minutes. That’s about two hours less than I had gotten just the day before in OS X

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

Apparently the SSD drivers for boot camp aren't that great either.

quote:

In Boot Camp, the SSD in that MacBook Air performs far worse than an SSD should. The Random Read score is 1.2 MB/s under Boot Camp but increases to 2.7 MB/s when using Parallels.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/the-hidden-costs-of-running-windows-on-a-mac_p2/3673

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I've gotten weird results before in the disk benchmarks when running in a virtual environment. Usually inflated.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

Weinertron posted:

Why are you excluding Apple? The Macbook Airs are perfectly good machines, and it's not too crazy anymore to buy a Mac and then never run OSX ever on it.

They cost more money than a windows laptop. I also want a full size laptop instead of an air, and a full size macbook are even more expensive :(

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Yeah, now that there are non-poo poo ultrabooks, there are better "basically a Macbook Air but with Windows" options than a literal Macbook Air running Windows.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Bleh Maestro posted:

They cost more money than a windows laptop. I also want a full size laptop instead of an air, and a full size macbook are even more expensive :(

Why do you want a 'full size' laptop? Bigger screen? Strength building exercises? Less room in your backpack?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Bleh Maestro posted:

I also want a full size laptop

13" is full size, it has a full size keyboard, has full size resolution, full size speed/power/memory etc; do you mean you want a heavier laptop, or do you have bad eyesight or something?

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Bleh Maestro posted:

Get an Alienware 18. It's full size.

Another good full-size choice would be the Lenovo Thinkpad W701ds, but it's getting a little bit old.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

Hadlock posted:

13" is full size, it has a full size keyboard, has full size resolution, full size speed/power/memory etc; do you mean you want a heavier laptop, or do you have bad eyesight or something?

To both of you crying about this, I stated in my original post that I am looking for a 15" laptop preferably. And I also stated that my target budget is $800. I don't care to have a ultra book or ultra thin laptop, and I also stated that I DON'T want a gaming laptop.

I just want a laptop that is reasonably priced (ie. NOT APPLE), and can run multimedia relatively well. I took the advice from people saying Haswell with HD5000 will probably be suitable for my needs, and thus started looking for laptops with Haswell chips. I then asked if MSI had a jump on this, because they are the only non-apple laptops I can find right now (all of them seem to be gaming laptops), and that then turned into a shitfest trying to get me to buy a macbook air somehow.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Dell makes a full size 18" tablet now:

Bring your own type M keyboard and bluetooth adapter

http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/tablets/dell-xps-18.aspx

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Hey dudes, wanting a 15" screen isn't as crazy as you're all pretending, Stop being weird.

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005

Pvt Dancer posted:

Where are you getting that it's less sturdy / worse build quality than the old design? I can't see it in the review. I've had the X1 Carbon for a bit over half a year and it withstands travel and my general clumsiness just as well as my old T420s.

Well it says it there in the review and also in the "Fazit".
The X1 is also a laptop which used to be priced at literally 2000 euros. Not even regular Thinkpads compare to that.

Pvt Dancer posted:

The non-clamshell design is fine I think, it doesn't open spontaneously when you drop it..
Yeah I dunno. I am not convinced. I am not going as far as saying that it is less secure because the hinges are smaller or anything, but you just can not beat a mechanical lock on the screen no matter what. I mean, if it is new it will probably not be an issue in normal use. But if the hinges get a bit older and you are really putting it through some abuse it might be an issue. It will also just not shut as tight. I mean I understand why they are doing it and I know the path will not change but I still think this, the battery and the button thing are three decisions that make the product objectively worse.

dissss posted:

Hmmm while battery is much better than the T430s its still not enough - they're definitely falling behind the competition there :/

If they are going away from the traditional Thinkpads they'd better nail everything else, considering they are still pricy.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

Hadlock posted:

Dell makes a full size 18" tablet now:

Bring your own type M keyboard and bluetooth adapter

http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/tablets/dell-xps-18.aspx

Listen Sperglord, I don't want what you're trying to sell.

To anyone else who might still want to help, this article: http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2013/06/01/crunching-the-numbers-can-intels-haswell-graphics-run-your-favorite-video-games/ seems to indicate that HD5000 might not *quite* be enough for what I'm looking for.

I still most likely want a machine with dedicate graphics.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Bleh Maestro posted:

To anyone else who might still want to help, this article: http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2013/06/01/crunching-the-numbers-can-intels-haswell-graphics-run-your-favorite-video-games/ seems to indicate that HD5000 might not *quite* be enough for what I'm looking for.

You say you don't want a gaming machine but want something that can play 'real' games. What makes a game real? Any of the HD5000 ones will handle Diablo 3, Starcraft 2, Dota 2, League of Legends, WoW and lots of other serious games that people devote way too much time to. If you want a laptop that can play Metro: Last Light, Bioshock Infinite and that group you want a Gaming Laptop.

Here's the best Gaming Laptop under $1k: http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/y-series/y410p/index.html

Edit: That article you linked was a less powerful Haswell GPU (4600 vs 5000) and at 1920x1080 when you wanted to play at 1440x900. I still think that Last Light would struggle at medium settings, that game's a system pig.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jun 12, 2013

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Bleh Maestro posted:

That test was done with 4600. 5000 is much better, and there are better ones than 500. Iris Pro especially is pretty great.

I'm not trying specifically to steer you away from dedicated graphics, but if you can get a better value from (while still getting the performance you desire) using the Iris or Iris Pro processors, then it would be a waste not to look into it.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Bleh Maestro, what you're looking for doesn't quite exist yet and if you can wait for everyone to roll out their Haswell machines, the new IGPs will fit your bill. You think it won't, but they will. And you get great battery life with it.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Don't waste money on a dedicated GPU in anything less than $1200 worth of laptop

InstantInfidel
Jan 9, 2010

BEST :10bux: I EVER SPENT

Bleh Maestro posted:

If you move your laptop any further than from home to work every day, you should really consider a 13" laptop, or at the very least, a 15.6" ultrabook (are these even ultrabooks? Can't remember the exact specs). You also quoted an article from Forbes, of all places, about technology. He even says in the article that he's using pre-release drivers for HD4600, not HD5000, and the framerates he's getting are still not that bad. Wait for the first driver update and you'll see a performance jump. Also, this:

Bleh Maestro posted:

I want:

-15" (13" if I can't afford what I want in 15") with at least 1600x900 hopefully
-Intel core (anything)
-Dedicated graphics in the mid-range
-SSD (hopefully)
-$800-ish

Will not be happening. Take the three things I put in bold, pick one and a half. It's just not practical to expect the kind of performance you seem to want in the budget you want to have. You're looking more like $1000 for a budget deal and $1200 for something reasonable.

Bleh Maestro posted:

I don't want a GAMING laptop, but I do want to be able to play 'real games' if I need to.

You can play games at 30-45FPS using HD5000/5100/5200 on low/medium settings no problem. You won't get getting high detail or 60FPS+ on any setting, no matter what you do, for $800.

Finally, you come in here with absurd expectations and without having done any apparent research and get defensive when people act exasperated and start trolling you. How does that seem unreasonable to you, exactly?

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
Maybe you want a Lenovo Y410p. The 1600x900 model is $850.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
Thanks. I actually was just coming here to post that. This looks like a pretty good deal, only thing is its 1366x768. Do they make a model with a higher res?

Anyways you can apparently swoop these up for $800 (the google link I clicked said $719 actually, but the site says 799).

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/...402&cagpspn=pla

e: Woops, didn't see the 1600x900 model

e2: I wish something like this was linked earlier instead of getting berated. There ARE plenty of laptops like I outlined, I'm just looking for a good deal and well-built machine, and SA is a good place to learn and share these things.

Bleh Maestro fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jun 12, 2013

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Y410 is $769.00 using the :siren: link in the OP

InstantInfidel
Jan 9, 2010

Bleh Maestro posted:

e2: I wish something like this was linked earlier instead of getting berated. There ARE plenty of laptops like I outlined, I'm just looking for a good deal and well-built machine, and SA is a good place to learn and share these things.

I was going to point out how many shortcuts Lenovo took on that laptop, but that'd just result in more passive-aggressive posting on your part.

To anyone else reading: the Y410 offers really flashy specs but gives you a slow hard drive (you'll definitely notice this for load times in anything you do), probably the worst TN panel on the market (I'd be willing to bet that it's the same as the T430, it's even matte), and has really bad support. On top of that, Lenovo is ballparking 2 weeks to ship, which past experience means you might get your laptop this month or not.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
The Y410p's panel is glossy, not matte. Also it allegedly has solid blacks.

InstantInfidel
Jan 9, 2010

shrughes posted:

The Y410p's panel is glossy, not matte. Also it allegedly has solid blacks.

Really? They describe it as "AntiGlare" which is the same way they describe the T430.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Everything I've read says the y410p's panel is matte

e: nevermind, found a thread where they're saying its pretty glossy but lenovo is saying it's "anti-glare", whatever

mewse fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jun 13, 2013

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Bleh Maestro posted:

Dude, come on.

People getting on to you about wanting a 15" screen was dumb as poo poo but you have done yourself no favors. Next time you're looking for a laptop don't start with 'I don't want a gaming laptop but I want a laptop that can play REAL games.' Don't start a weird apple thing and also maybe do your own research? The Y410 isn't exactly obscure.

People aren't paid in this thread to cater to your whims, and when you post like you have you don't really make them amenable to helping you.

fe: also yeah that HDD is sloooow

feller fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jun 13, 2013

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Well, since the OP extolled the virtues of Thinkpads, maybe some of you might know the answer to this question. I have a 4.5 year old Thinkpad R500 with a tiny 40GB SSD. I was hoping to replace the Ultrabay DVDRW with the old HDD for a little extra storage. The Lenovo branded Ultrabay (12.7mm) -> SATA adapter costs $70, at which point I might as well just buy a new SSD. There are a bunch of cheap knockoffs available, but most of them are sold in the US and don't ship to Canada, and only a few questionable sources are available in Canada. I'd rather not resort to ebay. I have found a Silverstone adapter available, which should work, but one person with a T420 (which should have an identical ultrabay to the R500) said it was too short and didn't fit properly. So, uh, any suggestions? The only other alternative I've found is this similar looking caddy, which would be about $30 and possibly have a higher chance of actually fitting.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
What is this kerfuffle about the buttons on the new vs. old Thinkpads? Are people talking about the buttons above the trackpad you'd use while using the nipple? I can't see myself getting that much up in arms about that, as I've never thought the mouse nipple was all that great to use. Granted, I've tried it out for maybe a total of 10 minutes. Are they really that great once you get used to them?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

hooah posted:

What is this kerfuffle about the buttons on the new vs. old Thinkpads? Are people talking about the buttons above the trackpad you'd use while using the nipple? I can't see myself getting that much up in arms about that, as I've never thought the mouse nipple was all that great to use. Granted, I've tried it out for maybe a total of 10 minutes. Are they really that great once you get used to them?

The nipple rules don't be talking bad about the nipple.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

hooah posted:

The nipple is the best mouse ever and I've never been able to use a laptop that didn't have it effectively. Fortunately work always gives me Latitude 6xxx of some sort and even my X120e has the full nipple mouse with buttons.

If Lenovo actually pulls the nipple mouse buttons from the T440 then I guess I'm just going to have to buy a Mac, they're the only touchpad I can understand. Nipple mouse 4 lyfe.

InstantInfidel
Jan 9, 2010

eXXon posted:

Well, since the OP extolled the virtues of Thinkpads, maybe some of you might know the answer to this question. I have a 4.5 year old Thinkpad R500 with a tiny 40GB SSD. I was hoping to replace the Ultrabay DVDRW with the old HDD for a little extra storage. The Lenovo branded Ultrabay (12.7mm) -> SATA adapter costs $70, at which point I might as well just buy a new SSD. There are a bunch of cheap knockoffs available, but most of them are sold in the US and don't ship to Canada, and only a few questionable sources are available in Canada. I'd rather not resort to ebay. I have found a Silverstone adapter available, which should work, but one person with a T420 (which should have an identical ultrabay to the R500) said it was too short and didn't fit properly. So, uh, any suggestions? The only other alternative I've found is this similar looking caddy, which would be about $30 and possibly have a higher chance of actually fitting.

Assuming you got a 250GB SSD, you're looking at around $180. I wouldn't buy a third-party adapter without knowing that it fit for sure, so I'd probably stick first-party. At that point, you're $250 in. For $320, you can buy an SSD megathread-approved 480GB Mushkin drive and use that as your single primary, or wait for a sale and pick up that or another equally sized drive for less. On top of that, that drive is going to be big enough and fast enough that in two or three years you can drop it in to a new laptop and not face the same situation you do now with your 40GB SSD. Just food for thought.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

My parents badly need a new laptop. They only use it for website browsing, so I would like to get them something with an Intel i3, and a Solid State Drive. Finding laptops like that is easy, but I need you guys for recommendations on something that is known to be pretty reliable and have a very good keyboard/trackpad on it. They would like to have something that is either Windows 7 or Windows 8.

InstantInfidel
Jan 9, 2010

How about a Chromebook? It's not Windows, but if it's just for web browsing, it's literally perfect. Great battery life, an SSD, and really cool.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

InstantInfidel posted:

How about a Chromebook? It's not Windows, but if it's just for web browsing, it's literally perfect. Great battery life, an SSD, and really cool.

How are they with printer support? My parents use a HP printer. If they are just the same as Windows, then that is a totally legit suggestion.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I said come in! posted:

How are they with printer support? My parents use a HP printer. If they are just the same as Windows, then that is a totally legit suggestion.

Use Google Cloud Print with the Chromebook for wireless printing :) http://www.google.com/cloudprint/learn/

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

teagone posted:

Use Google Cloud Print with the Chromebook for wireless printing :) http://www.google.com/cloudprint/learn/

:eyepop: We are truly in the future, huh? I didn't even know this existed. Thanks! This is perfect. Still looking for other suggestions, but the Chromebook one is totally viable now.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
Just be aware that Samsung seems to be prepping an update to their $249 Chromebook, which many would say is the best value. People who have it have mentioned that it's pretty good, but gets a bit sluggish at around 3 to 4 tabs open simultaneously. An update would probably make it the perfect internet machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I said come in! posted:

:eyepop: We are truly in the future, huh? I didn't even know this existed. Thanks! This is perfect. Still looking for other suggestions, but the Chromebook one is totally viable now.

If battery life isn't that big of a concern, Acer updated their $199 C7 Chromebook to include an SSD now. The battery is rated at 4 hours, compared to the Samsung Series 3's 6.5 hours, but the C7 is powered by an Intel Celeron processor as opposed to an Exynos (ARM) CPU.

Though, as Butt Savage (heh) mentioned, Samsung is due to refresh their Series 3 Chromebook (according to a couple blogs). If you want to take a look at the C7 with the SSD, Best Buy has them in stock now: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Acer+-+11.6%26%2334%3B+Chromebook+-+2GB+Memory+-+16GB+Solid+State+Drive/8850098.p?id=1218914355314&skuId=8850098