Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

And since Trader Joes is basically Aldi Nord and the stores you know as Aldi in the US is Aldi Süd, I think you won't see both of them in one area. It's either Aldi or Trader Joe's.

Near my house, there is an Aldi, a Trader Joes, and a Whole Foods, all within a mile of each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

You've probably never heard of them.

Fun Shoe

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

And since Trader Joes is basically Aldi Nord and the stores you know as Aldi in the US is Aldi Süd, I think you won't see both of them in one area. It's either Aldi or Trader Joe's.

I had no idea about this, but we actually have both Aldi and Trader Joe's in Pittsburgh.

Here's a corgi as a Jedi.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

HighClassSwankyTime posted:

Thats a speculaas biscuit and is a typically Dutch cookie, not Belgian or French :eng101:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

the jizz taxi posted:

Of course, I wouldn't expect a Flemish nationalist to get upset about such matters :smug:.

Actually, weren't they invented in Wallonia? That's a sort of mini-France, so it's understandable that people are getting confused.

Inpossible posted:

Isn't it an American thing to call them French fries?

Calling them 'chips' would be even sillier. I tried to look up pics of disgusting fish 'n' chips wrapped in week-old, yellowing newspapers, but it actually looks kind of delicious. So I present you with this instead:

Why would I make games that don't suck when I can just follow my dream of visiting sacred penis shrines with my hot wife?

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
The lack of a Trader Joe's in Wichita is yet another reason why the Midwestern United States is a cesspit. Have you ever had Charles Shaw? It's amazing wine for, like, $2. Two-buck Chuck, they call it. It's the greatest thing.

But no. Here we have Foxhorn and it's 8 dollars for a giant bottle of semi-bitter red acid that evacuates your bowels into a abattoir of shame that is the metaphor of your life.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
That's the most tasteful pose I've ever seen in front of a giant penis.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.
Aldi is pretty cool and all, but how many of you have ever been to a Hofer, huh?

:colbert:

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

RentCavalier posted:

The lack of a Trader Joe's in Wichita is yet another reason why the Midwestern United States is a cesspit. Have you ever had Charles Shaw? It's amazing wine for, like, $2. Two-buck Chuck, they call it. It's the greatest thing.

But no. Here we have Foxhorn and it's 8 dollars for a giant bottle of semi-bitter red acid that evacuates your bowels into a abattoir of shame that is the metaphor of your life.

You wouldn't be able to buy it there anyways, Kansas law prohibits most alcohol at grocery stores doesnt it? The Trader Joe's in Leawood has no booze.

Also its 3 bucks most places now.

Hugs Boson
Feb 3, 2011

Elementary.

Burning Mustache posted:

Aldi is pretty cool and all, but how many of you have ever been to a Hofer, huh?

I think I once bought a Milka chocolate Krampus at a Hofer.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

We have both in Atlanta. Two different things, really. Trader Joe's is like a budget Whole Foods - lots of organic/chemical-free stuff.

Aldi's is like groceries for poor people. Off-brand everything, lovely produce, etc.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

FishBulb posted:

You wouldn't be able to buy it there anyways, Kansas law prohibits most alcohol at grocery stores doesnt it? The Trader Joe's in Leawood has no booze.

Also its 3 bucks most places now.

Usually Trader Joe's, like Costco, has a "separate" alcohol store which is basically just another room with a different door and you have to make your alcohol purchases in there.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Pick posted:

Usually Trader Joe's, like Costco, has a "separate" alcohol store which is basically just another room with a different door and you have to make your alcohol purchases in there.

Huh. Well they don't here :(

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

FishBulb posted:

Huh. Well they don't here :(

poo poo like that is super dependent on local laws. Here in Washington the booze is just tucked away in one corner of the store. It used to be just beer and wine, but the law changed about a year ago and they have liquor now as well. Where I grew up in Florida is a lot like Pick described (for liquor anyway), while in Pennsylvania and a lot of other places you can't even buy a six-pack at the grocery store. Enough grocery store chat, pictures!

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Burning Mustache posted:

What's a Hofer?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

The Ape of Naples posted:

What's a Hofer?

Aldi in Austria.
"Hofer" is a pretty common surname in Austria and apparently they decided that it would sound more familiar and more pleasant here than "Aldi", so they just re-named it.

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.
My kid's daycare put out a request for book donations. A little advanced for the 3 and under crowd?

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

Burning Mustache posted:

Aldi in Austria.
"Hofer" is a pretty common surname in Austria and apparently they decided that it would sound more familiar and more pleasant here than "Aldi", so they just re-named it.

He just gave you a nice setup of "What's a Hofer?" and you wasted it, man. You completely missed it. That opportunity is gone forever.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!

Ahem. I believe the correct term is passers by.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

netwerk23 posted:

My kid's daycare put out a request for book donations. A little advanced for the 3 and under crowd?

You're never too young to learn about the ultimate omnipotent force in the universe.

Aristurtle Records
Jun 9, 2006

live at random, live as best one can

Noni posted:

He just gave you a nice setup of "What's a Hofer?" and you wasted it, man. You completely missed it. That opportunity is gone forever.

Ahh, what's a ho for! Took me a while to get that...

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Noni posted:

Aristurtle Records posted:

Ahh, what's a ho for! Took me a while to get that...

:downs:

I've been tired and unfocused all day, maybe I shouldn't be posting in pun-laden threads.

I shall go out and get drunk in shame now.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Burning Mustache posted:

:downs:

I've been tired and unfocused all day, maybe I shouldn't be posting in pun-laden threads.

I shall go out and get drunk in shame now.

I'm just glad someone got it.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I live in Montana where we have exactly jack poo poo for anything, particularly fancy grocery stores, so this discussion makes me sad. But, as a child of the Northeast, I must hasten to remind you all that if you ain't Wegman's, you ain't poo poo.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

clockwork automaton posted:

I had no idea about this, but we actually have both Aldi and Trader Joe's in Pittsburgh.

Here's a corgi as a Jedi.

Move along!

Move along!

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.

Ez posted:

You're never too young to learn about the ultimate omnipotent force in the universe.

I'm tempted to try to read it outloud to her classroom and see how long their attention is held.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

netwerk23 posted:

Probably pretty appropriate.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

muike posted:

Probably pretty appropriate.

Extended universe books are recommended by four out of five dentists to prevent thumb sucking.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Phlegmish posted:

Why would I make games that don't suck when I can just follow my dream of visiting thumb wrestle at a sacred penis shrines with my hot wife?

Fixed that for you.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

In addition to Two Buck Chuck, Joe's also carries Vodka Of The Gods which is a totally passable vodka that comes in 1.75L bottles and costs :10bux:. This was a staple of my grocery shopping for a long time.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Holy poo poo, a GRRM snack biscuit!

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

bringmyfishback posted:

I live in Montana where we have exactly jack poo poo for anything, particularly fancy grocery stores, so this discussion makes me sad. But, as a child of the Northeast, I must hasten to remind you all that if you ain't Wegman's, you ain't poo poo.

PREACH.

The flagship store is 10 minutes from my house. It's glorious.

Alec Baldwin did a commercial for them because his mother wouldn't move away from the area, for fear of losing Wegman's.

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

bringmyfishback posted:

This guy has good taste in supermarkets.

I'm lucky to live right near 2-3 Wegmans, I don't know what I'd do if I needed to use Aldi. I've talked to people who live in Philly and Florida who still have a vivid memory of how much better Wegman's is than their local stores, even if they've only been there once.

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
Even Boise has a Trader Joe's (under construction). We got Whole Foods last year but I'm way too poor to shop there.

Hydrolith
Oct 30, 2009

"Asberge le passants?" There's a :spergin: joke in there somewhere...

Also, is there a French equivalent of the grocers' apostrophe?

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

bringmyfishback posted:

I'm lucky enough to live near a Wegmans. It is truly the best grocery store. Aside from the farmers market their butcher counter and bakery has no equal.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The Red Queen posted:

Ahem. I believe the correct term is passers by.

I assumed the sign had just been written by this guy:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

grady posted:

I'm curious what most of you did before videogames. Every single frame of reference you seem to have is through the lens of some kind of game.

They use a video game reference to talk about video game consoles?

Why can't these video game players separate their video games from their console discussion? :jerkbag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Met posted:

They use a video game reference to talk about video game consoles?

Why can't these video game players separate their video games from their console discussion? :jerkbag:

More like 'why can't someone post an actual funny picture'?

• Locked thread