Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eryxias
Feb 17, 2011

Stay low.
E, O, S(for the hell of it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

Edit: changed my vote.
R. Since Enkidel doesn't have the time to say these words out loud or in mind; say them with his heart.
If Enkidel says anything out-loud: "By Your will alone: guide us, we pray. So be it." (And "guide" could mean anything from where to go, what to do, how to do it or not to do anything at all. This prayer is to the Creator.)

quote:

"Creator, You are great. I am made low. You are great before I can even be, let alone be made low. Your ways are beyond our ways. May Your will be done here as it is where You are. Praise You, for You deign to limit and define Yourself to allow us attempts at understanding You. We fail, for You are limitless, yet we try still. You granted us just as much true free will as You have fate, which live together without confliction. Any by this we can know that life is here for a reason and is important. Hear my prayer, oh Creator and let my cry come unto You. This day we have our lives within the grasp of beasts who mean to end life. You have given us the ability to defend ourselves, but there are yet things beyond our strength, which is nothing to Your power. There is purpose to us living. Protect our lives, not for our own profit, but for Your honor and glory. If we don't praise You, something will, the rocks will cry out if they must. May it be that we live this day to Your honor. May we be the ones who praise You. Guide us, we pray.

By Your will alone: so be it."
This takes a while to say, but less than a second to have in one's heart.

OhYo fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jun 13, 2013

Absum
May 28, 2013

Pray to El, ask for protection for your mother, your friend and yourself.
Pray to Asherah, mumble whatever you can think of.
Throw the spear when a monster comes in range, then attack with the tooth because that's all you have.

Let's see how sharp that tooth really is (and die).

Changed my vote, page 84.

Absum fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jun 13, 2013

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
HSS

Declare the beast a sacrifice to Asherah!

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Just a heads up, we've never tried praying to Denzorah or Onegod.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

If we try to throw lightning, maybe praying to Marnal and Smattas could be good, thunder is Smattas' weapon and lightning is Marnal's blessing. Both are angels of El.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

I don't get why people seem to think Asherah or El even want worship, especially in the case of El. Nothing in the OP suggests that the creator god required that from humans, and Asherah seems to be some sort of elemental force like Otac except more of an rear end in a top hat.

The Onegod certainly didn't require worship, prayer can work, but I think dedicating action towards a particular end makes a lot more sense.

Just try to do whatever you think is right, and if some supernatural entity out there is cool with that, they'll naturally help out. So far all the supernatural revelation we've personally received is a vague message about some storm, I need better than that before I commit to anything, especially when I don't even know who the message came from.

Does C and D require B?

I'm going to try for Z: protect the tree after we've stashed some people on it.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

This is a good time to do this.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Hold out your spear, tell our mom and friend to run call for help, and we scream out "hold the gate!" In our tounge

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

dog kisser posted:

HSS

Declare the beast a sacrifice to Asherah!

This guy's got the right idea, HSS.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Actually, yeah, I'm going to try something here that might also involve throwing lightning.

Changed from RRO.

We will pray to Smattas and Marnal, for their protection against these beasts, and we have faith that it will work. These two both involve lightning and thunder, and we can't go bugging El with everything.

SerSpook fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jun 13, 2013

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Changed my K vote to a second C:

Put Danal on our shoulders and cut our palm with the tooth, attempting to summon lightning! If it fails, which it most likely will, we hightail it outta here with Danal on our shoulders.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

SerSpook posted:

Actually, yeah, I'm going to try something here that might also involve throwing lightning.

Changed from RRO.

We will pray to Smattas and Marnal, for there (highlighted for chuckles) protection against these beasts, and we have faith that it will work. These two both involve lightning and thunder, and we can't go bugging El with everything.

Changing my vote from copious amounts of making GBS threads ourselves to praying to the angels of kicking rear end.

Deadmeat5150 fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 13, 2013

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

SerSpook posted:

Changed from RRO.

We will pray to Smattas and Marnal, for their protection against these beasts, and we have faith that it will work. These two both involve lightning and thunder, and we can't go bugging El with everything.

Changing my vote to this from HRE.

Save Target As
Oct 13, 2008

Voting:

OPTION U Tell Jalitha and Danal to run. Tell them to get away from the monsters but stay by camp if you have time.

OPTION Z Something else. Write in. Yell for SuperKing's help to get the warriors attention and hopefully some assistance from him or at least some warriors.

OPTION F Throw your spear at the first monster to get in range. You're goof at fishing, you may not hit him, but you're probably not going to do any good head to head with one of those things. It'd be best if you can at least look brave and heroic until someone can help. If no one comes right away though, we better run while releasing our bowels as a kind of slick trail, hopefully tripping the lizards if they follow us.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Algid posted:

I don't get why people seem to think Asherah or El even want worship, especially in the case of El. Nothing in the OP suggests that the creator god required that from humans, and Asherah seems to be some sort of elemental force like Otac except more of an rear end in a top hat.

The Onegod certainly didn't require worship, prayer can work, but I think dedicating action towards a particular end makes a lot more sense.

Just try to do whatever you think is right, and if some supernatural entity out there is cool with that, they'll naturally help out. So far all the supernatural revelation we've personally received is a vague message about some storm, I need better than that before I commit to anything, especially when I don't even know who the message came from.

Does C and D require B?

I'm going to try for Z: protect the tree after we've stashed some people on it.

No, C and D don't require B, or A.

Random Idiot
Mar 15, 2001
P: Heroes that kill dragons can surely handle this, and I can help! All that hero practice at night has trained me well.

Q: Pray to Smis, the mighty lobster for a carapace that will protect you from harm and the strength to survive in a pinch.

S: When spears and leg beatings fail, electrocution prevails!

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

SerSpook posted:

and we can't go bugging El with everything.
That's a huge assumption the Creator has any limitation from Enkidel's perspective. It's a bigger leap to that than it is to the Creator's omnipotence. I feel comfortable bringing endless supplications than to shy from bothering the Creator.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

OhYo posted:

That's a huge assumption the Creator has any limitation from Enkidel's perspective. It's a bigger leap to that than it is to the Creator's omnipotence. I feel comfortable bringing endless supplications than to shy from bothering the Creator.

These are the angels of asskicking we're praying to :colbert:

I don't think we're really bothering El, so much as going to the beings specifically created for this purpose.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
Hm. I'm definitely voting lightning, as the way I see it we wanted to fight, or protect, and grabbed a spear with that intent. Now we have danger bearing down on us, there doesn't seem to be a safe place to run, and our spear doesn't seem likely to work. We're panicked, and probably pretty desperate; in the rush, we'll fall back on what we know. We're also maybe scared that these lizards are Asherah's anger for rejecting him; it's not necessarily a sensible thought, but the sudden appearance of hungry monsters intent on devouring us would seem to fit perfectly into what we were also warned about by our fanatic dad, and our recent 'impiety' is the only thing that would immediately come to mind as something we might be punished for.

So, bereft of any other effective weapon, and in a panic, we start fumbling with the tooth to try and shoot lightning like 'dad' did, it's the only possibly effective weapon we can think of at the moment.

Additionally, I want to pray to both gods, yell out to both El and Asherah for strength, but A) I'm afraid that praying to both would just piss both off and cancel out the effectiveness, B) since I figure we maybe suspect Asherah, we'd primarily want to appease him, and C) in a panic, we're not really thinking, so we just default fall back on our upbringing, and the first thing that comes to mind is Asherah. So I'll reluctantly have to leave out El.

So, I guess, SSH, try to shoot lightning, and yell out a prayer to Asherah, either something along the lines of "I'm sorry don't eat me!" or "please turn back your hunger on these beasts". In fact, why not both, yeah, apologize and ask Asherah to take back his hunger and devour the beasts instead.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

SerSpook posted:

These are the angels of asskicking we're praying to :colbert:

I don't think we're really bothering El, so much as going to the beings specifically created for this purpose.

Except that you pray to EL first then he dispatches the beings of rear end kicking. This is how it is, from Tudiya telling us so to Jalitha telling us so. You don't go to the wage slaves, you go to their boss.

Vote ORF.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

OhYo posted:

That brings along a lot of assumptions of your own. You're assuming El is very similar to the Abrahamic god when it's possible that its a creator god along the lines of a primordial giant like Ymir or Pangu. There's repeated references to angels and humans being crafted from its flesh after all.

God might very well be dead, or left in a state where its not cognizant of anything trivial like prayers. That might even be why there's apparently some sort of schism among the angels.

I wouldn't trust anything without cause, we've been told that Asherah straight up doesn't answer prayers (might respond to blood sacrifice, but I'm against that since it sets a bad precedent), and we haven't been told that El responds to prayers either. We might be weak, but getting out mom and Danal up a tree and then holding on to some sort of weapon is something we're capable of with our own two hands. It might not be effective in that the final results might not work out, but the actions themselves are fundamentally more sound than "pray to rear end in a top hat fish god (in the middle of a forest) for help" or "pray to possibly dead god, when there's no indication from his own worshipers that it does anything".

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Except that you pray to EL first then he dispatches the beings of rear end kicking. This is how it is, from Tudiya telling us so to Jalitha telling us so. You don't go to the wage slaves, you go to their boss.

Vote ORF.

I don't recall that it's not something done being said at all though.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
QUESTIONS:
1. Are we sure 3 giant lizzard monsters are about to attack us? Or is it too dark to see what these 3 monsters are? Are the red eyes large and wide apart? Maybe these are smaller monsters that our friends can handle.
2. Do we know the words for "three monsters" in our new language? Do we know them well enough to yell them quickly? Maybe we can get more men to help us. The king can handle one lizard by himself.

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice

Diogines posted:

If S fails, what do you plan to do about the monsters charging at you, Jalitha and Danal?

The same thing we'd do if we tried any other option, aka die horribly? 1 of these beasties is giving He-Man and his super friends a fight. We have no reason to believe that an 11 year old manservant in training, a 6 year old, and a cripple can show them up and take down 3 of them. Running away, aside from being depressingly mundane, isn't realistic unless we ditch our future master and our crippled mother. Many trees aren't sturdy enough to withstand the sheer press-weight of creature large enough to have a 100lb. limb, and the trees that do are not at all likely to have branches low enough for an 11 year old with virtually no climbing skill to reach, let alone the already mentioned cripple and 6 year old.

We're boxed in with 2 realistic options:

1) Ditch the deadweight and high-tail it.
2) Attempt something supernatural.

And since out of the supernatural options, going all Sith lord is far more cool than trying to go Catholic exorcist on them, I'm rather surprised it isn't even more popular.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Bularin posted:

And since out of the supernatural options, going all Sith lord is far more cool than trying to go Catholic exorcist on them, I'm rather surprised it isn't even more popular.
Everyone knows that going Sith Lord will just kill you in another 20 updates though, narrative causality demands it.

I mean, in the last game our future selves tried to kill ourselves twice via time travel (even if it was just an accident once). That's what happens when you rp an evil rear end in a top hat.

Algid fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jun 13, 2013

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

SerSpook posted:

I don't recall that it's not something done being said at all though.

All the stories specifically mention EL dispatching them though, not them showing up on their own.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

QUESTIONS:
1. Are we sure 3 giant lizzard monsters are about to attack us? Or is it too dark to see what these 3 monsters are? Are the red eyes large and wide apart? Maybe these are smaller monsters that our friends can handle.
2. Do we know the words for "three monsters" in our new language? Do we know them well enough to yell them quickly? Maybe we can get more men to help us. The king can handle one lizard by himself.

1. It is the end of dusk, you do not see anything but the eyes but you hear something or somethings coming fast.

The pairs of eyes are each about 9 feet from the other pairs.

2. You know the word for monster in their tongue, but not the word for 3.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
C&D, then S from the treetops, death from above!

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

Bularin posted:

The same thing we'd do if we tried any other option, aka die horribly? 1 of these beasties is giving He-Man and his super friends a fight. We have no reason to believe that an 11 year old manservant in training, a 6 year old, and a cripple can show them up and take down 3 of them. Running away, aside from being depressingly mundane, isn't realistic unless we ditch our future master and our crippled mother. Many trees aren't sturdy enough to withstand the sheer press-weight of creature large enough to have a 100lb. limb, and the trees that do are not at all likely to have branches low enough for an 11 year old with virtually no climbing skill to reach, let alone the already mentioned cripple and 6 year old.

We're boxed in with 2 realistic options:

1) Ditch the deadweight and high-tail it.
2) Attempt something supernatural.

Good points; running into the forest from whence these creatures came seems like a great way to run to our deaths; climbing a tree seems like a good way to get a tree knocked over then eaten; voiding our bowels or crying for help ... well maybe voiding our bowels would keep them from eating us, I don't know, but it doesn't seem likely. Standing our ground with the spear doesn't seem likely to work. We might try fire again, but I don't think we have an effective vessel for that.

Looking at the current tallies though, if it keeps up the result should be ... interesting. Confidently cutting out hand to invoke an Asherahn ritual while fervently praying to El and/or one or more angels? It working would really be something.

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice

Algid posted:

Everyone knows that going Sith Lord will just kill you in another 20 updates though, narrative causality demands it.

I mean, in the last game our future selves tried to kill ourselves twice via time travel (even if it was just an accident once). That's what happens when you rp an evil rear end in a top hat.

If throwing lightning bolts at your problems is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

dyzzy posted:

B, C, D

Go team boring!

ok. I vote this as well.

B, C, D

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Theglavwen posted:

Good points; running into the forest from whence these creatures came seems like a great way to run to our deaths; climbing a tree seems like a good way to get a tree knocked over then eaten; voiding our bowels or crying for help ... well maybe voiding our bowels would keep them from eating us, I don't know, but it doesn't seem likely. Standing our ground with the spear doesn't seem likely to work. We might try fire again, but I don't think we have an effective vessel for that.

Looking at the current tallies though, if it keeps up the result should be ... interesting. Confidently cutting out hand to invoke an Asherahn ritual while fervently praying to El and/or one or more angels? It working would really be something.

Try it while praying to the lightning and thunder angels. Seriously, this could be a really crazy result. Or do nothing. I don't know.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Yo, to you guys who want to try some flashy lightning poo poo. Have you considered that EL and his bunch have been really free and open with the power displays. Tudiya glowing and poo poo, speaking in tongues, super strength, EL calming the forests for us when we prayed to him.

You know what would be super cool? If we professed our UNSHAKEABLE faith and invoked a prayer to EL. He's been giving out boons and miracles like candy, I'm sure we can get a lil something for him. After all, we're favoured by Gods, we knew of the storm when we were but 4 years old.

And this spear? We're loving naturals at throwing spears. We spent so much time in the sea and with Jorah practicing that poo poo. Hell we're already unconsciously shifting into the best spear throwing posture and grip.

Imagine a divine imbued EL powered spear throw.

Vote ORF

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897
We don't have to beat the monsters, just keep them away from Mom and Danal until Ishamal and Lot get here to help hold them off.

Say the lightning works, monsters are dead, we win. What does the king do with us then? (He kills us)

E: The lightning didnt even hurt Tudiya and Co. It is not an effective weapon for godling fights, clearly.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Yo, to you guys who want to try some flashy lightning poo poo. Have you considered that EL and his bunch have been really free and open with the power displays. Tudiya glowing and poo poo, speaking in tongues, super strength, EL calming the forests for us when we prayed to him.

You know what would be super cool? If we professed our UNSHAKEABLE faith and invoked a prayer to EL. He's been giving out boons and miracles like candy, I'm sure we can get a lil something for him. After all, we're favoured by Gods, we knew of the storm when we were but 4 years old.

And this spear? We're loving naturals at throwing spears. We spent so much time in the sea and with Jorah practicing that poo poo. Hell we're already unconsciously shifting into the best spear throwing posture and grip.

Imagine a divine imbued EL powered spear throw.

Vote ORF

Okay, I'll do this, but I want to keep Smatass and Marnal in our mind as well. Make a lightning spear!

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

To comment on the discussion, since it is based on things you do or don't know from your mother's stories, which are fair game to reference at any time, just like your "Father's" stories. Did X ever come up in their stories or have any relevance is always a fair game question.

In your mother's stories, the sky giants Smattas and Marnal saved people many times from monsters and bad people and cannibals. In the stories, sometimes people yelled to them by name for help, sometimes they just asked El for help, sometimes they asked El to send them, sometimes they simply appeared to help. You never considered if the distinction was meaningful before, if there was one. Is there? Was there? When you prayed with her to see Jorah home safely during the twice yearly men only trips, she prayed to El but often mentioned both Smattas and Marnal.

There are many other sky giants like them and you know of them too, see earlier posts, but if your moms stories are to be believed, they must be doing nothing but saving people all of the time, you know many stories about both.

They always show up to save people trouble who call for help in the stories, if they are good people, but sometimes at the very last moment, which is more exciting.

El never appears in person to deal with people in the stories, though in some of them he speaks to the other sky giants. In some stories he talks to people through a disembodied voice but in most, he sends another sky giant to deliver any messages.

You probably should not rely on the stories at all. They were just meant as stories meant to entertain children, right?

Diogines fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jun 13, 2013

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
My question:

Why are we assuming that if we don't fight the monsters, we're doomed? Tudiya et al have been through this forest before, on the way to our village, and I think it's safe to assume they didn't take a straight-line route adventuring through the jungle. Why are we jumping to the conclusion that they're outmatched and that only we, here, now, can save everyone?

Also, cutting our hand is going to make it a lot harder to climb a tree, or hold a spear, or not attract giant hungry lizards who can probably smell the entrails of the deer that we ate earlier. We literally know nothing about the rituals of Asherah other than the tooth, the cut, and ??? -> lightning! What if the tooth was bonded somehow in a ritual? What if the cutting of the palm was a symbolic renewal of vows to Asherah, or drew upon the power of the people 'consumed' in the name of Asherah? For that matter, the lightning didn't seem all that effective - what if we do, in fact, manage to shoot lightning, but don't actually do any damage? We would then be up poo poo creek without a paddle, since we'd have shown ourselves to be aligned with the cannibals-that-are-hated-by-El, and wouldn't have done anything to improve our situation.

I think, in this case, it would be better to let Tudiya know that there are other threats, and get Donal and Jalitha to safety, than to think that we are the key factor in this battle. After all, we have no idea if Tudiya is truly exerting himself to the full.

Also, changing my vote to:

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 13, 2013

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Theglavwen posted:

I agree on that part. I really want the lightning to work, and would cackle if it did, but Shushem chanted something when he was cutting his palm. We don't know what chant it was, so there's probably a minuscule chance of it happening as people expect.

The fact that we are cutting our palm and invoking El, Asherah and angels? I can't wait to see what might happen from that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Tudiya might very well be some sort of Nephalim, it's probably atavistic angel powers he's using, not god intervening on his behalf. Given our name, we might also have angel blood somewhere along the line, but begging for lightening powers just seem so uncool, it'll come if the situation is right, we don't have to just give up at the first sign of trouble and pray for a miracle.