Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Diogines posted:

El never appears in person to deal with people in the stories, though in some of them he speaks to the other sky giants. In some stories he talks to people through a disembodied voice but in most, he sends another sky giant to deliver any messages.

Diogines posted:

"Asherah does not speak to children and most certainly not to babes." He does not believe you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Ah, geeze. Not a lot of great choices here.

Gunna go with S, H, K. K in the hope that appealing to the spirit of our Father will infuse the ceremony and make it actually work a little. It's a hell of a long shot, but hey! As for the H...I pray that Ashera gives us the hunger to destroy the coming beasts so that we may offer him their remains in tribute.

Worth a try!

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Yo, to you guys who want to try some flashy lightning poo poo. Have you considered that EL and his bunch have been really free and open with the power displays. Tudiya glowing and poo poo, speaking in tongues, super strength, EL calming the forests for us when we prayed to him.

You know what would be super cool? If we professed our UNSHAKEABLE faith and invoked a prayer to EL. He's been giving out boons and miracles like candy, I'm sure we can get a lil something for him. After all, we're favoured by Gods, we knew of the storm when we were but 4 years old.

And this spear? We're loving naturals at throwing spears. We spent so much time in the sea and with Jorah practicing that poo poo. Hell we're already unconsciously shifting into the best spear throwing posture and grip.

Imagine a divine imbued EL powered spear throw.

Vote ORF

Changing my vote to this.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Triple Not S

Klingtron
Sep 10, 2011
U F Z

I want us to lure the monsters away from Jalitha and Danal

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

You figured it out, huh? I thought I was the only one. :smuggo:

ZZZ - BURN THE MONSTER!

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Yo, to you guys who want to try some flashy lightning poo poo. Have you considered that EL and his bunch have been really free and open with the power displays. Tudiya glowing and poo poo, speaking in tongues, super strength, EL calming the forests for us when we prayed to him.

You know what would be super cool? If we professed our UNSHAKEABLE faith and invoked a prayer to EL. He's been giving out boons and miracles like candy, I'm sure we can get a lil something for him. After all, we're favoured by Gods, we knew of the storm when we were but 4 years old.

And this spear? We're loving naturals at throwing spears. We spent so much time in the sea and with Jorah practicing that poo poo. Hell we're already unconsciously shifting into the best spear throwing posture and grip.

Imagine a divine imbued EL powered spear throw.

Vote ORF
Another vote for this. Let's take action with El as our strength!

If Enkidel says anything out-loud: "By Your will alone: guide us, we pray. So be it." (And "guide" could mean anything from where to strike, how to hold the spear, stance or not to do anything at all.)Have Enkidel pray this in his heart:

quote:

"Creator, You are great. I am made low. You are great before I can even be, let alone be made low. Your ways are beyond our ways. May Your will be done here as it is where You are. Praise You, for You deign to limit and define Yourself to allow us attempts at understanding You. We fail, for You are limitless, yet we try still. You granted us just as much true free will as You have fate, which live together without confliction. Any by this we can know that life is here for a reason and is important. Hear my prayer, oh Creator and let my cry come unto You. This day we have our lives within the grasp of beasts who mean to end life. You have given us the ability to defend ourselves, but there are yet things beyond our strength, which is nothing to Your power. There is purpose to us living. Protect our lives, not for our own profit, but for Your honor and glory. If we don't praise You, something will, the rocks will cry out if they must. May it be that we live this day to Your honor. May we be the ones who praise You. Guide us, we pray.

By Your will alone: so be it."
This takes a while to say, but less than a second to have in one's heart.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
Cutting our hand with the shark tooth to summon lightning and kill those lizards will probably work. It's also a terrible idea that will end up getting us killed if you recall the specifics of what happened to Sushem when he invoked the spell. All of his blood disappeared, as if Asherah drained him like a caprisun. We might save our friends by firing fishlasers, but it'll be the last thing we do.

My votes:

O. This is not a time to be scared. Throughout or life, El has always had out back. El's servants rescued us from cannibals, just like Jalitha's stories foretold. When we were surrounded and lost in a dark forest, El kept the monsters away. He'll save us again.

R. "Great El, please aide me in protecting my friends and family. Please guide this spear with your power".

F.

Zybourne Clock fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jun 14, 2013

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

OhYo posted:

Another vote for this. Let's take action with El as our strength!

If Enkidel says anything out-loud: "By Your will alone: guide us, we pray. So be it." (And "guide" could mean anything from where to strike, how to hold the spear, stance or not to do anything at all.)Have Enkidel pray this in his heart:

This takes a while to say, but less than a second to have in one's heart.

Changing vote to O R F, plan Lanky Coconut Tree/OhYo

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice

paragon1 posted:

Triple Not S

Yea, let's start this again. It worked really well last time.

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.
Why are we throwing the lightning spear (Besides it looking cool)? What do we do then for protection?

Seems to me ORE would make more sense - if El actually does grant a badass spear, hang onto the drat thing.

Note: This is not a vote change for me.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Bularin posted:

It did work out pretty well since it's just the simplest way to metagame votes. If there were more S votes, I would vote not-S too.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Bularin posted:

Just because you think lightning is a viable choice doesn't mean everyone else has to.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

A Terrible Person posted:

"Ashera! These beasts of unending flesh must truly be your children! Sate their hunger and take them away if it is your will! If it is not, fill them with your terrible lust for flesh that they may devour eachother endlessly in Your Name! I beseech you as your humble servant!
Two votes for this.

One vote for

Fake edit: we don't know what Shushem chanted in order to shoot lightning, but what if we cut our hand with the tooth while saying the aforementioned prayer? I dunno, wish we had had a chance to 'test-fire' this poo poo before we ended up on the edge of death, but them's the breaks.

Edit: Changed vote, page 84.

Cathair fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jun 13, 2013

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Just because you think lightning is a viable choice doesn't mean everyone else has to.

K.

Back to the point, the whole "not" voting thing is simply annoying. You're not contributing, you're just telling someone else their contribution is irrelevant.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

We've been told several times at this point that Asherah doesn't heed prayers. If we're going to survive this, it really seems like we need some sort of divine aid. If El is going to send angels to help us, it's going to be now, so we might as well go all true-believer and see what happens.

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

See them other chickenheads? They don't never leave the coop.

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

EXAKT Science posted:

We've been told several times at this point that Asherah doesn't heed prayers. If we're going to survive this, it really seems like we need some sort of divine aid. If El is going to send angels to help us, it's going to be now, so we might as well go all true-believer and see what happens.
Thanks for the back-up, but thank Lanky too 'cause he got us on the ORF train.

Be warned: a non-response from El/The Creator does not indicate their in-existence. :colbert:

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
VOTING:
O. R. E.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

I would very much like to do an update at some point tonight, we may if we get 60+ people to weigh in, which I think we will at this rate.

I don't want to cut people off because they didn't have time to see the new vote.

With the exception of S which has a strong lead, the vote really is all over the place. This should be an interesting one.

If enough people have voted I am anticipating starring the next update in four hours.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

OhYo posted:

Thanks for the back-up, but thank Lanky too 'cause he got us on the ORF train.

Be warned: a non-response from El/The Creator does not indicate their in-existence. :colbert:

Well of course! Your post was just the first one I saw when I went looking for one with the icons :v:

Absum
May 28, 2013

Changing my vote to Lanky/OhYo except with E instead of F.

If we end up with ORS I'm gonna cry, but it would certainly be interesting.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Changing to triple not-S.

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.
Changing my vote: From EIS to E double NOT F.

Before anyone gets mad - this isn't an anti-El vote, this is an anti spear throwing vote. I think throwing away our only legit weapon at this point is stupid.

I don't care if we were Olympic caliber level in spear throwing, I don't like the idea of getting rid of it on a hail mary.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Diogines posted:

OPTION I Empty your bowels and bladder because you are being charged by several giant monsters and definitely, positively, absolutely, guaranteed, no mistake about it, going to die and are very scared.

I'm a little kid and this is way, way behind my comprehension and I am absolutely blown away and terrified and on an adrenaline high, making everything worse.

Diogines posted:

OPTION Q You yell a prayer to one of the gods of your village, or to an Angel or to Enkidu or Labaras. Which? For what?

I yell a prayer to Asheras, asking him to bite the hell out of the monsters. Asheras and his prayers have been drilled into me since I was little, so it's basically a reflex at this point.

I look for a pond, a lake, anything, but seeing nothing I yell a prayer to Enkidu, my namesake, telling him to help us and to destroy these monsters.

Diogines posted:

OPTION R You yell a prayer to El. For what?

After my prayer to Asheras, I try to repeat what Jalitha is saying, or maybe what Tudiyas is saying.

tarepanda fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jun 13, 2013

OrangeOrbit
Apr 27, 2008
Fun Shoe
S S P

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

tarepanda posted:

I yell a prayer to Asheras, asking him to bite the hell out of the monsters. Asheras and his prayers have been drilled into me since I was little, so it's basically a reflex at this point.
We've literally been told by a priest of Asherah that he doesn't answer prayers. If you want to get results, you have to at least provide worship beyond just some quality rear end-kissing, something like a blood sacrifice (which I'm voting against, but at least that could do something).

DCBomB
Sep 14, 2008

Lizard's on the menu tonight~

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Algid posted:

We've literally been told by a priest of Asherah that he doesn't answer prayers. If you want to get results, you have to at least provide worship beyond just some quality rear end-kissing, something like a blood sacrifice (which I'm voting against, but at least that could do something).

Diogenes, did the villagers every pray to Asherah anyway, or invoke his name when big poo poo was about to go down or when surprised/startled/scared (similar to how we'd say "Oh my loving god")?

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Diogines posted:

OPTION S Cut your palm with the giant tooth and try imitate what your father did to shoot lightning.

Diogines posted:

Don't take this as any indication that it won't work, it very well could, and I really mean that, it could, you have no idea how it worked, but I am scratching my head and a bit surprised at the quick popularity of S Lightning, insofar as you seem confident it WILL work.

The extent of the practical knowledge you learned from Shushem was how to make a few powders and identify certain plants, animals and rocks he used. You know 0 "magical" rituals or spells and have no useful hints on how he did them, or don't realize if you do. You had no idea he could toss lightning till you saw him do it and have no hint as to how.

If S fails, what do you plan to do about the monsters charging at you, Jalitha and Danal?

What do you plan to do about a serious cut when you have no medical supplies in the middle of a battle?

I really mean this when I say that it could work and don't take this post to hint otherwise, but my the point is, you have no idea HOW it worked.

You want it to work. I would like a pony and you probably want to be strong enough to rip it's leg off Tudiya style. You may want to consider the distinction between simply wanting something to work and the odds of it actually working. I would place the odds at "unknown".

Voting just started and S is a strong winner so far.
Can we at least have the S voters amend things to cutting somewhere aside from our palm? I'd rather have a stupid self inflicted scar that at least won't possibly result in permanent loss of function in one of my hands.

Back of forearm maybe? I hope accidentally severing our extensors is less bad than severing our flexors.

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Lightnin? HA! Thats a good 'un!
Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!
HSS FOR THE FISH GOD

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Asherah's name was only invoked if an offering to him was being made or his stories being told, which often involved offerings too.

Your people did not yell his name in surprise. According to your father, he is a god who will punish disobedience and who will not help otherwise.

Your people did not want to attract his eye unless they wanted to court disaster or had an offering. In the minds of your people, the endless fish are simply the state of the world, there are ALWAYS fish to catch and storms never happen. Unless Asherah is pissed, in which case, fish go away or storms hit. Asherah causes each and every big storm because he is pissed off. Usually because there were not enough offerings. Incidentally, big storms were rare, only a few a year. Well not rare from your perspective, that is how often it storms everywhere, right?

Suggesting praying to Asherah for protection would probably result in your father hitting you and other villagers looking at you like you were nuts. Asherah only protects you from one thing. Himself. At least according to your father and your village.

His children, the Great Fish, mentioned in earlier posts, do have their names invoked more commonly and are known to sometimes answer prayers for help. They also like offerings, some like chopped and bloody fish like Asherah, some like beautiful stones, shells, pearls and a variety of other things. Feeding marine mammals is generally seen as a way to make the "nice" gods of your village happy as well, as well as feeding the fish closest associated with each of the Great Fish, their offspring. An ideal way to make am offering is to find the den, hole or environment of one of the children of the Great Fish and leave them inside.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jun 13, 2013

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008
Changing my vote to:

, ,

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

I really don't understand how people just didn't get what sort of thing Asherah is when it was spelled out very clearly.

It's like people trying to kill Narod, but this time we're somehow trying to win the favor of a supernatural entity that's pretty much just offering to eat us first.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Changed the details of my vote, then.

If it was that different, then I guess it wouldn't be a reflex to ask Asherah for help... so I'll yell at my namesake and ask him to wreck some poo poo.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Absum posted:

If we end up with ORS I'm gonna cry, but it would certainly be interesting.

It's going to be brilliant, we'll pray to El, but then we'll attempt an Ashera related ritual. :unsmigghh:

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock
Triple not-S because if people are going to continue to try to get us killed as hard as possible, might as well continue trying to avoid it as hard as possible.

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

You guys realize that by voting as hard as possible to shut down any Asherah related votes every single round you're doing nothing but making them vote for it again the next round? They want to see if calling to the fish god works, all signs point to it not working....but then you don't let them find out if it actually works or not. So they vote for it again next time.

Just let the Asherah contingent, just once, see if calling to the fish god works. We're not trying to sacrifice Danal this round - we're cutting our hand and hoping for lightning.

Best case: Lightning! Everybody goes home happy. We know Asherah listens.
Worst case: we cut our hand, nothing happens, we pray to El, have our spear, and try to fight off what's coming. Asherah fans find out it didn't work, vote for it less next time.

Just let them see if it works already!

Task Manager fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jun 13, 2013

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

Algid posted:

I really don't understand how people just didn't get what sort of thing Asherah is when it was spelled out very clearly.

It's like people trying to kill Narod, but this time we're somehow trying to win the favor of a supernatural entity that's pretty much just offering to eat us first.

Eh, like I said in my vote earlier, I'm not voting to pray to Asherah in hopes he'll answer it with his blessing, I figure Og would worry that Asherah was sending vengeance and destruction down, as he is wont to do, and 'praying' is an attempt at apologizing to Asherah, showing him obedience and asking to be spared his wrath.

Clockwork Gadget posted:

Triple not-S because if people are going to continue to try to get us killed as hard as possible, might as well continue trying to avoid it as hard as possible.

So you're trying to avoiding it by ... what, exactly? Downvoting S is only upvoting any and every other alternative, none of which seem to offer any better chance, and, as of right now, most of the winning alternatives seem to offer standing around and hoping.

I mean, how is S any more 'trying to get us killed' than any of the others? Unless it's just a case of 'Asherah related things = terrible = instant game over'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Task Manager posted:

You guys realize that by voting as hard as possible to shut down any Asherah related votes every single round you're doing nothing but making them vote for it again the next round? They want to see if calling to the fish god works, all signs point to it not working....but then you don't let them find out if it actually works or not. So they vote for it again next time.

Just let the Asherah contingent, just once, see if calling to the fish god works. We're not trying to sacrifice Danal this round - we're cutting our hand and hoping for lightning.

Best case: Lightning! Everybody goes home happy. We know Asherah listens.
Worst case: we cut our hand, nothing happens, we pray to El, have our spear, and try to fight off what's coming. Asherah fans find out it didn't work, vote for it less next time.

Just let them see if it works already!

Both of those list look a little incomplete to me.

Besides, S is winning by a huge margin right now.