Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DogGunn
Feb 2, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Ephphatha posted:

Here in Australia we get a few provisions, as long as you aren't travelling significantly faster than other vehicles and you don't have a speedo you're not going to get a ticket for speeding on a bicycle. If you have a GPS or something else mounted that shows speed, or it's obvious you're travelling faster than cars/motorbikes who are travelling the speed limit, you're getting booked.

Not true - a cyclist can get fined for speeding regardless of if they have some sort of speedo or not. For instance:
http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western-australia/cyclist-fined-for-riding-56kmh-in-school-zone/story-e6frg13u-1226283944613

Ephphatha posted:

Edit: This is actually required by law in NSW but it's never enforced. Some other states don't have laws regarding signalling so it's common to see interstate drivers just blow through without signalling or signal improperly (ie, every time they turn the wheel they activate the turn signal in that direction).

Every state has this rule as it's part of the Australian Road Rules (which every state uses), but it's not enforced anywhere but NSW, and even then, almost never.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

SlothfulCobra posted:

I've seen someone make plans for a theoretical redesign of Paris where they replaced all the roads with parks and grass, and decided that all transit could take place on subways.

So they'll have cargo subways too??
Paris' metro system is actually dense enough in terms of stations that they could almost do this, but it's already over capacity. I would love to see more cities just go hog-wild on transit and make huge chunks of the city private vehicle free. Just have shared roads with peds, bikes, delivery vehicles, and emergency vehicles. Nothing beats trains for medium and long distance transport efficiency and nothing beats peds and bikes for short distance transport density. Cars and their inefficient and expensive infrastructure can gently caress off.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Get off your high horse. I don't know where you live, might be a hellhole, but there's a place for cars in a healthy modal mix.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Baronjutter posted:

So they'll have cargo subways too??

It has been done before, and was really rather useful:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Tunnel_Company

These days most of the tunnels have been reused to carry communications cables or removed due to building of other underground tunnel systems such as for passenger service, but the entire concept is sound, particularly if someone was going to go whole hog and demolish everything at the surface for new build anyway.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Install Gentoo posted:

These days most of the tunnels have been reused to carry communications cables or removed due to building of other underground tunnel systems such as for passenger service, but the entire concept is sound, particularly if someone was going to go whole hog and demolish everything at the surface for new build anyway.

There's been talk that, once the massive investment in renewing everything is finished, it might become feasible to use the London Underground for limited freight transport at night. Of course people would probably complain that they should use it for passengers first, and actually getting it out there efficiently would probably be very annoying without lots of investment, but it's an interesting thought.

The obvious first step would be to resurrect the Mail Rail though...

e: oh I see it's mentioned in the article. Also this is awesome:

quote:

The city was largely unaware of the nature of the tunneling, and the first 16 miles (26 km) of tunnel were excavated somewhat covertly, working from the basement of a saloon and carting away the spoil after midnight

I wish people still took this proactive approach to rail nowadays!

Jonnty fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jun 12, 2013

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
How well does blood wash off of roads?

Alternately, when I'm driving over maroon-stained asphalt, does it mean someone might have died there? :ohdear:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

That is absolutely adorable.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Jonnty posted:

There's been talk that, once the massive investment in renewing everything is finished, it might become feasible to use the London Underground for limited freight transport at night. Of course people would probably complain that they should use it for passengers first, and actually getting it out there efficiently would probably be very annoying without lots of investment, but it's an interesting thought.

I think people are more likely to complain about the noise, if they live near the Tube.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Wouldn't underground cargo handling be quieter than trucks and poo poo?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I thought that congestion pricing was the modern version of "car-free" cities. It seems pretty effective in Europe, especially if they throttle it way down so that there's not much car traffic at all.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Federal court says highway sponsors must first study transit, impacts on suburban sprawl
http://switchboard.nrdc.org/blogs/kbenfield/federal_court_says_highway_spo.html
This is a pretty major victory, so far.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Wouldn't underground cargo handling be quieter than trucks and poo poo?

As always it's inertia to change - if you live near a busy road you always have, but if the railway which is usually quiet at night suddenly becomes noisy, you don't really care that Mr. Busy Road can sleep slightly more soundly. The underground runs to and past midnight and starts up fairly early too, especially taking into account empty stock movements, so it's not like the qualitative nature of the noise would change that much. Plus traffic would probably be very light and concentrated in the mostly underground centre, so I'm not sure this would be THAT much of an issue. Put it this way: if you get to a stage where NIMBY's become your main problem, you're doing pretty bloody well considering.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Mandalay posted:

Alternately, when I'm driving over maroon-stained asphalt, does it mean someone might have died there? :ohdear:

Typically not. With blood, it's considered a biohazard and gets cleaned up immediately. Also, dried blood is brown.

Sorry I've been so busy lately. Lots of work at work, lots of Animal Crossing at home. You guys are doing quite well keeping the discussion going, though :)

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

DogGunn posted:

Not true - a cyclist can get fined for speeding regardless of if they have some sort of speedo or not. For instance:
http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western-australia/cyclist-fined-for-riding-56kmh-in-school-zone/story-e6frg13u-1226283944613
You can, but it's going to be a lot easier to talk your way out of a 5 and under ticket if you really didn't have an accurate indicator of your speed. Doing 15km/h over the speed limit is pretty hard to talk your way out of.

DogGunn posted:

Every state has this rule as it's part of the Australian Road Rules (which every state uses), but it's not enforced anywhere but NSW, and even then, almost never.
This I did not know. I wish more people would enforce it :(.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Cichlidae posted:

Sorry I've been so busy lately. Lots of work at work, lots of Animal Crossing at home. You guys are doing quite well keeping the discussion going, though :)
You taught animals how to use crosswalks? Do tell! :allears:

Also, does that include moose? I heard that Sweden had quite the problem with moose fatalities back in the 70s.

(This)

Varance fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jun 13, 2013

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Install Gentoo posted:

Couple those with high-capacity cargo bikes and you might actually have a solution. (I know one of the guys who started that company. They can carry about 500lbs on the back of one of those things. They have an electric assist, but they still use the pedals, and they are a whole heck of a lot quieter and safer than big trucks.)

Koesj posted:

Get off your high horse. I don't know where you live, might be a hellhole, but there's a place for cars in a healthy modal mix.

Get off your high horse. This is total woolgathering -- nobody seriously believes that cars are going to be eliminated from the modal mix, but that isn't stopping you getting incredibly defensive.

smackfu posted:

I thought that congestion pricing was the modern version of "car-free" cities. It seems pretty effective in Europe, especially if they throttle it way down so that there's not much car traffic at all.

Have you seen the traffic in daytime central London lately?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Mandalay posted:

Red stains are generally transmission fluid or something similar.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Couple those with high-capacity cargo bikes and you might actually have a solution. (I know one of the guys who started that company. They can carry about 500lbs on the back of one of those things. They have an electric assist, but they still use the pedals, and they are a whole heck of a lot quieter and safer than big trucks.)

To be fair at 500lbs you should not be comparing them to a big truck but a small car. I'm sure there is a niche for those and i see comparable vehicles on the road here. But it takes 10 of those to replace 1 medium delivery van in capacity. I am pretty sure that ammount of trips and labour involved in making those trips is not economical at all and would actually increase congestion in a busy city center.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Get off your high horse. This is total woolgathering -- nobody seriously believes that cars are going to be eliminated from the modal mix, but that isn't stopping you getting incredibly defensive.

Sorry, didn't mean to get defensive!

Cars' 'inefficient and expensive' infrastructure sometimes isn't, though. Transport solutions can be very context sensitive and if anything, some places aren't... burdened by the past mistakes this thread seems to love to dredge up.

Also, freight trams have been tried in Amsterdam but they didn't get a positive cost/benefit ratio out of them. Digging tunnels for underground cargo handling... yeah if you had slave labor to both excavate and operate maybe.

AmbassadorTaxicab
Sep 6, 2010

Volkswagen uses freight streetcars for transport between two facilities in Dresden. It looks identical to what was used in Amsterdam.

I guess the issue with streetcar cargo delivery is whether the deliveries are regular enough to warrant rail. In Dresden, the trams act as an extension of a conveyor belt from one place to another.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Have you seen the traffic in daytime central London lately?

Is traffic bad? I imagine that there is more than one input into prices than "demand". I still think an increase in gas prices or electronic tolling is THE FUTURE because (driving) freedom isn't free. :911:

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

NihilismNow posted:

To be fair at 500lbs you should not be comparing them to a big truck but a small car. I'm sure there is a niche for those and i see comparable vehicles on the road here. But it takes 10 of those to replace 1 medium delivery van in capacity. I am pretty sure that ammount of trips and labour involved in making those trips is not economical at all and would actually increase congestion in a busy city center.

What I wonder about (rather than freight trams or underground freightways), is whether you couldn't just use old fashioned freight rail to a warehouse, so your final delivery vehicles only have a short (1-5km) trip to make. But yes, there is the issue of capacity. Apparently one of the aspects of the City of Vancouver's long-term transportation plan is more big trucks.

Koesj posted:

Sorry, didn't mean to get defensive!

No worries. :shobon:

Mandalay posted:

Is traffic bad? I imagine that there is more than one input into prices than "demand". I still think an increase in gas prices or electronic tolling is THE FUTURE because (driving) freedom isn't free. :911:

When my wife and I visited last year, she insisted that we take a cab from Liverpool Street Station to our hotel near Earl's Court, rather than the Underground. The journey was about 7 miles, and took an hour. This was at 2 in the afternoon, so hardly peak time.

For gently caress's sake, we've both lived in London before, and should have known better, but neither of us had taken a cab during the daytime before, and in the evening traffic flows smoothly enough that they work pretty well. For what it's worth I was sceptical of the cab idea before we even got in.

Most of that traffic was delivery vans and cabs. I'm sure the congestion charge has helped somewhat, but London daytime traffic remains a mess.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Mandalay posted:

I still think an increase in gas prices or electronic tolling is THE FUTURE because (driving) freedom isn't free. :911:

Good luck, driving is more than twice as expensive here by any metric and growth only leveled off after a shitload of people lost their jobs in the crisis.

Can't help but feel that 'freight trams!' and other marginal solutions are just a sop though. Does anyone here honestly feel that there's a way out of the total path-dependency wrt automotive traffic?

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

Koesj posted:

Good luck, driving is more than twice as expensive here by any metric and growth only leveled off after a shitload of people lost their jobs in the crisis.

Can't help but feel that 'freight trams!' and other marginal solutions are just a sop though. Does anyone here honestly feel that there's a way out of the total path-dependency wrt automotive traffic?

Drones!

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Honestly, for that last mile problem, I think smaller cargo trains or trams to small localized cargo depots, then go the last little bit in electric delivery trucks. Underground cargo trains are a pipe dream unless we're living in megacities with 200 story skyscrapers or something like that, for most other cases there's still going to be roads and loading docks and places for the UPS driver to stop and bring his poo poo.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
How would smaller trains/trams work? Eligible Rail networks which I'm familiar with in Europe are heavily utilized and couldn't cope with much more traffic. And if you'd have to add infrastructure, the last couple of miles (kilometers :eng101:) are probably the hardest. Freight rail is great for bulk traffic and large shipments but both the time and money cost of transporting parceled/containerized goods over rail is probably insurmountable.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I think it would require a pretty drastic reimaginging of how a city works, to be fair.

I think I actually read about an idea a while ago which is perhaps where I got the idea, the packages would be brought to the depot at night when traffic was light, and then the electric trucks would do the local deliveries during the day. So in that scheme you could have cargo trams on existing tram tracks.

UPS is pretty good at sorting the hell out of packages. I bet you could do something where packages are brought to a central location (like the airport) and sorted into crates based on what their final delivery location would be, then those crates are taken to city depot and directly attached to the trucks and so no actual package handling happens at the local depot.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

This reminds me of a short documentary I saw about a relatively young company in Brussels. Apparently, Brussels was designed for cars. For a small volume of cars. It can't cope with the current amount, so it horrible to drive through. It's not very bike-friendly either, but if you're a competent cyclist you can get through quite well.

Anyway, this company is a very simple city delivery company. You can call them to get your package and to get it delivered to any other place in the city. According to the documentary, customers simply couldn't believe that it was possible at all to get a package to the other side of the city that fast. They thought they were getting pranked. Bikes can be real useful in congested cities.

You can watch the documentary right here:

https://vimeo.com/41982043

E: If you watch it in large, you can read the subtitles whenever someone is not speaking English.
Edit 2: They also talk about how municipal traffic control (and politics) affects the gridlock problem. A previous mayor of Copenhagen is giving a bunch of very interesting suggestions to improve Brussels and similar cities. If you're interested in that kind of stuff, you might want to watch the documentary as well.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jun 13, 2013

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Stumbled into this video today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GA-5KJS88AE

A previously closed rail line was re-opened two years ago, the video covers the economic aspects of it, and also gives a brief tour of the construction work and how it also affected some road reconstruction.
Also Scottish :kimchi:

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

nielsm posted:

Stumbled into this video today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GA-5KJS88AE

A previously closed rail line was re-opened two years ago, the video covers the economic aspects of it, and also gives a brief tour of the construction work and how it also affected some road reconstruction.
Also Scottish :kimchi:

And we're doing it again.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Incidentally, urban planning academic John Pucher is giving a talk about urban planning for increasing walking and cycling, tomorrow (Friday) evening in Vancouver at 7pm. It'll be webcast if anyone's interested in tuning in.

http://www.sfu.ca/continuing-studies/events/2013/06/how-to-increase-cycling-and-walking.html

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/safety/roundabouts/benefits.htm
Roundabouts are good for you, USA!

mamosodiumku
Apr 1, 2012

?
Are there rules for how a utility should repave a road after they dig it up? The quality of the repaving seems to vary drastically. There's one spot where there are tire marks on the section of road they filled in.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no
Cichlidae hey, so thanks to work, I had to go down to Groton, and my GPS apparently hates your state, because I manged to find, roads that go nowhere/stop suddenly. (Ct route 11, ironically ConDot memorial highway, I thought you might get a kick out of it.

I have a question, do you know why Rt 11 just seems to stop where it does, and why some of the internal CT routes seem to be covered in rust/roads that are borderline falling apart.

Also, thanks again for the thread, because now that I've seen Ct from a driver's POV.. it feels like 1930. (not a bad thing, but still interesting to know).

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

mamosodiumku posted:

Are there rules for how a utility should repave a road after they dig it up? The quality of the repaving seems to vary drastically. There's one spot where there are tire marks on the section of road they filled in.

The contractor generally has a set of specifications that he is required to perform the work in accordance with - these outline the materials, compaction requirements, durability, etc. for the patching.

If the utility patch is rutting, he probably didn't do it right. Report it to the entity that owns and maintains the road (State, County, local). If it's soon enough after the work was done, they may force the contractor to fix it at his own cost - otherwise they may just fix it themselves. If you're unsure what entity owns the road, I would report it to the higher one - they'll probably be best about telling you "no, this is a County road".

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Ryand-Smith posted:

Cichlidae hey, so thanks to work, I had to go down to Groton, and my GPS apparently hates your state, because I manged to find, roads that go nowhere/stop suddenly. (Ct route 11, ironically ConDot memorial highway, I thought you might get a kick out of it.

I have a question, do you know why Rt 11 just seems to stop where it does, and why some of the internal CT routes seem to be covered in rust/roads that are borderline falling apart.

The Route 11 project ran out of money back in 1972, and it's been sitting that way ever since. I'm pretty sure the Legislature named it after us as a cruel joke. We still don't have the cash to finish it; it'd take around a billion dollars.

As for the patchy roads, drive through Rhode Island sometime. Route 165 looks like utter poo poo, 138 on the Island is awful, Route 1 used to feel like driving over railroad tracks every fifty feet...

December Octopodes
Dec 25, 2008

Christmas is coming
the squid is getting fat!
So does the US have any good examples of urban planning? If not what would be a good example? In terms of both safety and minimzing environmental impact.

I've often heard it said that roads up north in CT and New England in general are much worse than down in the south. Is that because of the colder temperatures, or is there a budgeting difference that leads to slower replacement?

Opals25
Jun 21, 2006

TOURISTS SPOTTED, TWELVE O'CLOCK

December Octopodes posted:

So does the US have any good examples of urban planning? If not what would be a good example? In terms of both safety and minimzing environmental impact.

I've often heard it said that roads up north in CT and New England in general are much worse than down in the south. Is that because of the colder temperatures, or is there a budgeting difference that leads to slower replacement?

Its the weather mostly. Ice constantly freezing and thawing in the cracks damages the roads, while in the south, it barely ever freezes and it just isn't a problem.

AmbassadorTaxicab
Sep 6, 2010

On a similar note, I live on Prince Edward Island where roads are worse than I've ever seen in all of Canada. Potholes appear out of no where overnight, and a road a year old will be in the same condition as it was before the renewal.

The excuse I hear is the soil is has a lot of red clay in it and washes out easier. How realistic is this? Could there be measures taken place to mitigate the soil conditions?

Roadwork is at a point where you start to think everything is done at a minimum to keep the roadwork contractor busy, the owner of which happens to be a relative of transportation minister. At the same time, there are spring thaw weight restrictions that get put in place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

mamosodiumku posted:

No idea on rules, but the way it comes out really depends on the quality of the work. If they don't properly compact the soil while filling the hole in, it'll end up either concave or as a mound in the road depending on whether they decided to not put it all back in or not. If they didn't put it all back in, and/or didn't put the right materials in the right layers, it'll rut, sink, and generally turn into a mess...

e: Those vibrating compactor sled things are awesome, I never used to see those being used years ago and most of the patches on the street I grew up on were bumpy as poo poo as a result. Now it seems like they're always used as the hole is being filled (put down a pile of dirt, pack it in, repeat as needed) and patches seem to come out a lot better.