Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
We are going to die so hard right now. Enjoy being lizard poop!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Or we will summon forth El lightning which is ten times better than Asherah lightning.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Deadmeat5150 posted:

You mean I won't have any more votes to tally?

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Theglavwen posted:

So you're trying to avoiding it by ... what, exactly? Downvoting S is only upvoting any and every other alternative, none of which seem to offer any better chance, and, as of right now, most of the winning alternatives seem to offer standing around and hoping.
There are different ways to fail and a particular action establishes precedent for future decisions.

For example, a number of people on team Narod died last game, but we were still very much responsible in large part for things turning out like they were. We lost in that in we failed to reach the obvious end goal of becoming a god, but we succeeded in not giving in to our insane future self and birthed the Onegod.

We'll almost certainly fail if it's just us and a spear against regenerating dinosaurs, but we can accomplish small victories like getting Jalitha and Danal out of immediate danger, rather than setting up a precedent of cutting ourselves each time we come across a small problem.

I mean if you have to worship an rear end in a top hat god, Asherah isn't even particularly strong, he's no Nem Teshet at the least.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

SerSpook posted:

Or we will summon forth El lightning which is ten times better than Asherah lightning.

I'm curious as to if there would be a noticeable difference. Like, Asherah lightning smells kind of fishy and sounds like the ocean, whereas El lightning smells like cinnamon buns and, from somewhere in the distance, we hear harps and bells.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Theglavwen posted:

I'm curious as to if there would be a noticeable difference. Like, Asherah lightning smells kind of fishy and sounds like the ocean, whereas El lightning smells like cinnamon buns and, from somewhere in the distance, we hear harps and bells.

It will actually kill things.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Fight the monster from the inside!

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.

Diogines posted:

Both of those list look a little incomplete to me.

Besides, S is winning by a huge margin right now.

Sure, it isn't that clear cut - I think the point still stands that shutting down Asherah each and every round is only making it worse. Hell, I didn't even vote anything Asherah related this time and it's getting old to me.

It is winning - I remember a few votes ago though where Asherah got shut down at the last second after a healthy lead from the anti voting bloc. It could still happen.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Quick vote from work go fish god.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

A Terrible Person posted:

Fight the monster from the inside!
Things got weird after we vomited up a dude last game, inverting things can only make it better.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

SerSpook posted:

It will actually kill things.

Woah now, what if they're wearing armor?

Algid posted:

There are different ways to fail and a particular action establishes precedent for future decisions.

For example, a number of people on team Narod died last game, but we were still very much responsible in large part for things turning out like they were. We lost in that in we failed to reach the obvious end goal of becoming a god, but we succeeded in not giving in to our insane future self and birthed the Onegod.

We'll almost certainly fail if it's just us and a spear against regenerating dinosaurs, but we can accomplish small victories like getting Jalitha and Danal out of immediate danger, rather than setting up a precedent of cutting ourselves each time we come across a small problem.

I mean if you have to worship an rear end in a top hat god, Asherah isn't even particularly strong, he's no Nem Teshet at the least.

Sure, there are different ways to 'fail', given different aimed-for outcomes, then again, many of those 'ways to fail' will be 'ways to succeed' from other points of view. But certainly there are ways for outcomes to not go ideally, but there's a big difference between 'setting a potentially bad precendent' and 'trying hard to get us killed'.

Besides, our current options for getting Jalitha and Danal out of danger involve running recklessly into the woods, away from the warriors who protect us, or climbing a tree where we can sit and wait helplessly to be eaten. Perhaps 'cutting ourselves' could just as easily be seen as setting a proactive precendent of trying to stand up to challenges, while the alternative could be seen as setting a precedent of running away and hiding whenever we come across a small problem. There are a whole bunch of ways these decisions can colour our character.

Absum
May 28, 2013

Now I'm afraid Tudiya's going to kill us or something if we actually succeed at Asherah lightning.

Though I guess he wouldn't kill a little kid, right?

Edit: Yeah okay I doubt he's going to kill us but it'll ruin any chance of living with Danal and going on awesome adventures.

Absum fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jun 13, 2013

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

For what it's worth, I'm not praying to Ashera for protection per se either, I'm asking him to help us provide him with an offering. I figure appealing to his stomach and/or ego has the best shot of working out of anything.

We know that Ashera does occasionally help people out of he feels like it. So who knows, maybe we'll get lucky? Even if we don't, we won't be any more screwed than if we tried to out-run, out-climb, or out-fight a hydra-like regenerating beastie. Which, if it is anything like a hydra, can probably only be killed by taking out the head, which we definitely can't pull off with a spear.

PS: And oh yeah, besides the fact I like Ashera, I'm going with him over El here because I figure Jalitha and the other El worshipers have that angle covered. If El is listening, he'll hear their cries without us chiming in. Best to cover all the bases and all that.

So, yeah, long story short, there is logic behind praying to Ashera and giving the ritual a shot. It's not just blind pro-Ashera support.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Algid posted:

Things got weird after we vomited up a dude last game, inverting things can only make it better.

We'll become a voice in the subconscious of the lizards mind, subtly influencing it's actions for all eternity.

Absum posted:

Now I'm afraid Tudiya's going to kill us or something if we actually succeed at Asherah lightning.

No, we'll just become outcasts again.

ConfusedPig fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jun 13, 2013

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Theglavwen posted:

Sure, there are different ways to 'fail', given different aimed-for outcomes, then again, many of those 'ways to fail' will be 'ways to succeed' from other points of view. But certainly there are ways for outcomes to not go ideally, but there's a big difference between 'setting a potentially bad precendent' and 'trying hard to get us killed'.

Besides, our current options for getting Jalitha and Danal out of danger involve running recklessly into the woods, away from the warriors who protect us, or climbing a tree where we can sit and wait helplessly to be eaten. Perhaps 'cutting ourselves' could just as easily be seen as setting a proactive precendent of trying to stand up to challenges, while the alternative could be seen as setting a precedent of running away and hiding whenever we come across a small problem. There are a whole bunch of ways these decisions can colour our character.
I specifically asked if we also had to stay in the tree if we took them up, we don't.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Theglavwen posted:

Besides, our current options for getting Jalitha and Danal out of danger involve running recklessly into the woods, away from the warriors who protect us, or climbing a tree where we can sit and wait helplessly to be eaten.

That about sums up why I didn't want to run into the woods.

I don't want to climb a tree because I figured these monsters are big/strong enough to just knock the drat thing over or make us fall out.

Copacabana
Apr 6, 2010

There was blood and a single gunshot, but just who shot who?
S S S. Not sacrificing Danal or antagonizing the god-king is fine, but drat, Asherah has been our life up until a few days ago. It makes sense to try.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

tarepanda posted:

That about sums up why I didn't want to run into the woods.

I don't want to climb a tree because I figured these monsters are big/strong enough to just knock the drat thing over or make us fall out.
Tree climbing has a success rate of 1/1 while fish-lightening is at 0/1 so far, just saying.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Algid posted:

I specifically asked if we also had to stay in the tree if we took them up, we don't.

Kay, so how about the 'get Danal and Jalitha up a tree, then try lightning' options bandied about earlier? I'm still not seeing how this is a 'S votes bad' argument, or how it translates to lightning voters 'trying hard to get us killed'. Maybe that's not the argument you're trying to make? But in that case I'm not sure why my comment was addressed.

Task Manager posted:

Sure, it isn't that clear cut - I think the point still stands that shutting down Asherah each and every round is only making it worse. Hell, I didn't even vote anything Asherah related this time and it's getting old to me.

Frankly, without getting into the neg-votes controversy again, I think the worst thing about the situation is that it's boring. We stop getting much in the way of plans or anything being offered, and just get an endless back and forth of 'Triple-No!', 'oh yeah, well Triple-Yes then!' votes.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
We put it up to a vote, it was decided to keep Not-Votes. Like it or not, they're here to stay.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

I'm changing my vote to , since S is winning already and I want it to work, I am calling on El to help his people in our time of need, to protect the son of the king and let his Enkidel, his wild man, channel wild lightning to defeat these monsters.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Theglavwen posted:

Kay, so how about the 'get Danal and Jalitha up a tree, then try lightning' options bandied about earlier? I'm still not seeing how this is a 'S votes bad' argument, or how it translates to lightning voters 'trying hard to get us killed'. Maybe that's not the argument you're trying to make? But in that case I'm not sure why my comment was addressed.
You're saying that getting them up the tree leads to a precedent of running away, I'm saying that that's not the case. It's not a reason to vote for or against S, just that of the 2 choices S is not automatically the more proactive action we can take, which is what you were saying.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

HiHo ChiRho posted:

I'm changing my vote to , since S is winning already and I want it to work, I am calling on El to help his people in our time of need, to protect the son of the king and let his Enkidel, his wild man, channel wild lightning to defeat these monsters.

Yeah, while not changing my vote I want this to be part of our prayer. I specifically want to ask for the lightning to smite our foes, or Smattas and Marnal to smite them. Something like that.

edit: On what's proactive and what's not, prayer to El or angels is pretty proactive. We've actually had that have an effect in the game, for instance, and that's what they're supposed to do.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

SerSpook posted:

edit: On what's proactive and what's not, prayer to El or angels is pretty proactive. We've actually had that have an effect in the game, for instance, and that's what they're supposed to do.
It's hard to separate what's an effect of some outside supernatural force and what's an effect of of Tudiya and company's weird ancestry. The only incident might be the group prayer, and even then that could have been just the king.

The only supernatural power we've experienced that couldn't possibly have come from another human is the voice that we heard when we were 4.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Algid posted:

It's hard to separate what's an effect of some outside supernatural force and what's an effect of of Tudiya and company's weird ancestry. The only incident might be the group prayer, and even then that could have been just the king.

The only supernatural power we've experienced that couldn't possibly have come from another human is the voice that we heard when we were 4.

The prayer in the forest calmed stuff down, unless we imagined that which is possible. My point is that we've perhaps seen more from El prayer than we have Asherah prayer.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

SerSpook posted:

The prayer in the forest calmed stuff down, unless we imagined that which is possible. My point is that we've perhaps seen more from El prayer than we have Asherah prayer.
There was a confounding variable in Danal, we don't know if our own prayer did it, or if his ancestry allowed him to tap into the same sort of power Tudiya could consciously control.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Poop your own adventure.

A) Push
B) Push harder
C) Hold the gate!

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

We choose to hold the gate in this game and do the other things. Not because it is easy, but because it is hard.

Tudhalias
Sep 7, 2009
B C D

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Absum posted:

Edit: Yeah okay I doubt he's going to kill us but it'll ruin any chance of living with Danal and going on awesome adventures.

Assuming you succeed, how do you imagine Kudiya will respond? You know, the guy your dad threw lightning at, burned through his metal armor and only burned his chest hair a bit. And was then decapitated by. The guy who has apparently killed a dragon(s?) before, one large enough to use it's skull as a gate to a city.

If S wins you will get the S result, I promise. The back end of the game never changes for narrative reasons, it is all being kept fair and consistent, scouts honor. I truly do not care or have an interest on what you vote for, I just don't want anyone to be shocked at possible outcomes. Of course, it could be positive, perhaps they will be happy you saved everyone? Perhaps something else entirely happens. There is no guaranteed it works at all, of course.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.

Theglavwen posted:

I mean, how is S any more 'trying to get us killed' than any of the others? Unless it's just a case of 'Asherah related things = terrible = instant game over'?

A while ago, this happened:

quote:

One of the men stabs your father in the chest, no blood spurts out and it does not seem to slow him down, nor do the next two spears to pierce his chest have any obvious effect.

Asherah is a cannibal. The tribe we grew up in are cannibals, and they worship teeth. Sushem used a shark tooth in his ritual. It doesn't take that large a leap of logic to foresee what cutting yourself with that ritual tooth will do: it'll drain all of Enkidel's blood as an offering to Asherah, after which he gets to throw around lightning for a bit and then he dies.

Fish demon is nobody's friend. You're not going to get any protection from him, the best you can hope for is that he feels indifferent about your fate. This isn't speculation, it's pretty much exactly what Sushem told us. The sooner we abandon fish demon, the better,

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Wow, this is the worst time to be pro Asherah. I fully expect Asherah to kill us. And I voted for sacrificing the child earlier.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Algid posted:

You're saying that getting them up the tree leads to a precedent of running away, I'm saying that that's not the case. It's not a reason to vote for or against S, just that of the 2 choices S is not automatically the more proactive action we can take, which is what you were saying.

Not quite, what I was saying was that you could just as easily spin S as proactive and C as running away, as you could spin S as 'cutting ourselves everytime a small problem crops up' and C as 'responsibly assuring the safety of others'. All in the context of whether or not S ought to be seen as a guaranteed failure vote, or otherwise 'voting to get us killed'.

Zybourne Clock posted:

Asherah is a cannibal. The tribe we grew up in are cannibals, and they worship teeth. Sushem used a shark tooth in his ritual. It doesn't take that large a leap of logic to foresee what cutting yourself with that ritual tooth will do: it'll drain all of Enkidel's blood as an offering to Asherah, after which he gets to throw around lightning for a bit and then he dies.

That's a remarkable stretch to claim as being an obvious outcome, I think. I seriously doubt Shushem's first response to invaders in the town was to kill himself in order to fend them off, and minor blood sacrifice was a recurring theme, he was cutting himself as an appeal to Asherah when Jalitha cut our hair too. It's possible that all of our blood will be sucked out to fuel Asherah's lightning and Dio will end the game; it's also possible that we could throw our spear at a monster, and have it regenerate and encorporate the spear into its frame, and become an evil spear monster, twice as powerful as before! I don't personally think either is very likely.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

dog kisser posted:

HSS

Declare the beast a sacrifice to Asherah!

In times of pants making GBS threads fear, people generally fall back on what's been drilled into them. What's that for us?, oh that's right, almost half our life as a priest in training to Asherah. Although I want plan dogkisser, since S seems to be winning, I'll use my votes to power it

Voting Triple H

"Asherah!!; these ravenous beasts know not true hunger!!!, they are but pretenders cast from the deep....grant me to deliver them back to you as glorious sacrifice"

If there's one thing we know Asherah wants, it's sacrifices, the bigger the better probably.

alpaca diseases fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jun 14, 2013

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
If a game is built around a world in such a way that the world causes the game to end for a relatively minor step off the rails, particularly if the derail is one that could have been easily predicted given the format of the game, then it's good if the game ends early.

Still, I'm really interested in seeing the end of this story, regardless of whether it happens right now or in a few months.

Mr Apollo
Jan 1, 2013
Not S x3

Considering Diog is doing his whole "guys I'm not saying anything one way or another but terrible ideas will get you killed" and the fact the Asherah was only prayed to out of fear, and our father had no blood when he was killed, S seems unlikely to succeed. Not to mention we don't even know how to use lightning...

Greaseman
Aug 12, 2007
You know, what makes us so sure the tooth is an Asherah thing? I mean, it was used by a priest of his, sure, but if Asherah does not grant people things as such, then don't the results of Dad stabbing himself imply that it isn't something being done by Asherah? It could just be a magic item or something iono. I voted for us trying to do magic and making GBS threads ourselves because I imagine we're in a pretty desperate state of mind.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Mr Apollo posted:

Not S x3

Considering Diog is doing his whole "guys I'm not saying anything one way or another but terrible ideas will get you killed" and the fact the Asherah was only prayed to out of fear, and our father had no blood when he was killed, S seems unlikely to succeed. Not to mention we don't even know how to use lightning...

You know guys, just because Diogines weighs in on an option, it doesn't mean that a vote for that is a vote for instadeath, it usually just means the outcome will be interesting, he said as much himself. He's pretty much being our Sebek this time.

alpaca diseases fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jun 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

maxhush posted:

You know guys, just because Diogines weighs in on an option, it doesn't mean that a vote for that is a vote for instadeath, it usually just means the outcome will be interesting, he said as much himself. He's pretty much being our Sebek this time round.

As soon as it makes sense to do so, we'll get you a Sebek of your very own! Or not! Maybe!