Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Still Fluxing posted:

Somehow I always ended up with Moosh. He was a pain to navigate with, but I couldn't stay mad at that adorable lump.

Moosh is the default in Ages (and Ricky the default in Seasons). You have to get a Strange Flute in one of two ways in each game before you meet the first animal partner in order to get one of the other two. Otherwise the first animal you meet just gives you their flute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I never owned any Sega systems growing up, how is Shining Force?

All the Shining Force games before 3 on the Saturn are pretty much "child's first SRPG" in that they are really super basic compared to any other game in the genre. I say that as someone who loved the series as a kid and still loves the old Force games to this day. You're not worried about things like back attacks, character relationships, weapons with limited uses, going into an item's pocket dimension and beating 100 randomly generated levels to power up the item, etc. There's just characters in their particular classes, with your usual stat progression on level-up and sometimes a learned spell here and there for the magic folks.

Specifically speaking to Sword of Hajya, as one of the Game Gear titles it cut out the overworld and town exploration aspect from the Genesis games (which mostly means no finding hidden items in chests or barrels or walls or whatever in those segments), making it purely about the battles and exposition. If you want an SRPG to play, and have either never played a Shining Force game or just want an SRPG experience that is extremely easy to get into and not incredibly demanding planning-wise, then you could do a lot worse for your $4.

Also, on a minor spoilery note gameplay-wise, two of the later battles have playable characters hidden somewhere on the map. You have to face the square they are hidden in and Search to find them. I only mention it because there's almost no indication that this would even be a thing.

Shadow Ninja 64 fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jun 13, 2013

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Saoshyant posted:

Tale of Two Towns is the absurdly buggy one that has been completely outdone by a New Beginning. Don't touch it.

But A New Beginning will probably never come out in Europe and I'm itching to play some Harvest Moon :(

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Call Now posted:

But A New Beginning will probably never come out in Europe and I'm itching to play some Harvest Moon :(

As I have just said in the main thread, New Beginning is coming out here this year. It was just announced earlier this month.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Finally beat the Moonlit Grotto in OOA, had no idea I could aim the seed shooter diagonally.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Namco Museum for DS includes a Download Play version of Pac-Man Vs., in case you didn't know.

I did not know this, so thank you very much! Still steadfast in my demand for a Pac-Man Vs. Wii U version.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

parasyte posted:

I did not know this, so thank you very much! Still steadfast in my demand for a Pac-Man Vs. Wii U version.

Absolutely. They had some great ideas with the gamecube + gameboy thing, but nobody actually had 4 loving advances and link cables and poo poo to support it.

But now with wifi, its lots more feasible that you have some friends come over and you play some asymmetric games. But now they seem like they aren't as interested? Monster Hunter 3U lets you play 3DS and WiiU, but... do any other games? Lame.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Saoshyant posted:

As I have just said in the main thread, New Beginning is coming out here this year. It was just announced earlier this month.

That's great :) And what about Rune Factory 4, still nothing?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Call Now posted:

And what about Rune Factory 4, still nothing?

Alas, nothing it is. XSEED seems to be having problems with it, too. God knows if any company here will try to bring it along. NISA only seems to cover the Atlus games, Rising Star seems to have given up localizing anything lately, Zen United is a mess (hope they don't gently caress up with New Beginning), and Ghostlight, well, I think we all hope Ghostlight will go under one day.

I do hope NOE take on themselves to localize more games in Europe. They did a swell job with the final four big titles for the Wii, and seem to be doing it again with Bravely Default.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 13, 2013

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
For those in Europe waiting on a so many games download code for animal crossing, do not wait for an email. Log in to your Club Nintendo account and the code will already be there!

weird
Jun 4, 2012

by zen death robot
Does the level in GG Columns max out at 9? That's so slow still.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Shelf Adventure posted:

For those in Europe waiting on a so many games download code for animal crossing, do not wait for an email. Log in to your Club Nintendo account and the code will already be there!
Oh my God thank you for this.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Is there a timetable for when the Wii Shop Channel is going to be taken down? I heard that the News and Weather Channels were being taken down soon, so I want to know if and when I should start hoarding VC/WiiWare games :ohdear:

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jun 14, 2013

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

Unless they've announced something and I didn't see it, I don't imagine they'll be taking that down since, unlike the News and Weather, they can still make money off the Wii Shop Channel. As well, past WiiWare developers wouldn't be happy about it, nor people who want to redownload their WiiWare titles.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I'm pretty sure it's just WiiConnect 24 going down, which News, Weather, Check Mii Out, Everybody Votes Channel, etc. all pretty much use. Wii Shop Channel doesn't really use that.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Virt has relesed the Mighty Switch Force 2 OST on Bandcamp with the same "pay-what-you-like" price scheme as the last few, check it out:

http://virt.bandcamp.com/album/mighty-switch-force-2-ost

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I was going to post that. But now I can post this:

Holy poo poo the credits song :swoon: it is so gooood.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

I got Picross e anyway but I think Picross DS spoiled me because I don't think I'm appreciating it enough. The lack of a zoom function for the 15x15 puzzles makes using the stylus controls a pain in the rear end with the 3DS' bulky stylus.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

C-Euro posted:

Is there a timetable for when the Wii Shop Channel is going to be taken down? I heard that the News and Weather Channels were being taken down soon, so I want to know if and when I should start hoarding VC/WiiWare games :ohdear:

Since they're still releasing games on there (They're all Neo-Geo games lately but the point still stands), I take it that the Wii Shop will stay up, at least until the Wii is discontinued. And even then it'll probably remain up until Nintendo decides to remove Wii functionality from Wii U systems (Which hopefully they won't do.)

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001

Virt has relesed the Mighty Switch Force 2 OST on Bandcamp with the same "pay-what-you-like" price scheme as the last few, check it out:

http://virt.bandcamp.com/album/mighty-switch-force-2-ost
Awesome. I don't know how he can consistently put out so much good music.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I have a quick question, I accidentally bought Metroid II with my Club Nintendo coins, not realizing that I already owned it. Is this code tied to my personal information or account in any way? Meaning, if I give it away will the person I give it to be able to download it?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Anybody should be able to use that code.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

I haven't tried it but it seems like anyone should be able to use it.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Chronojam posted:

Anybody should be able to use that code.

Thanks, do you want it? If not, anybody else want it?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

I was thinking about getting Metroid II but was torn because it would mean earning coins right before the yearly cut-off, and I already have platinum. So, sure :)

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Chronojam posted:

I was thinking about getting Metroid II but was torn because it would mean earning coins right before the yearly cut-off, and I already have platinum. So, sure :)

I just PMd you, let me know if it works, I am curious

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Chronojam posted:

You don't earn the coins until you do the surveys, and at this point your registration survey won't expire until July. Go crazy.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

loudog999 posted:

I just PMd you, let me know if it works, I am curious
It said the code's already been used, unfortunately. Maybe you could email them and they'll refund your coins?

homeless snail posted:

You don't earn the coins until you do the surveys, and at this point your registration survey won't expire until July. Go crazy.

I'm at zero coins, though; was planning on hoping they had to manually update their game offerings while relying on an automated gold/plat status tracking. That way I could quickly put in codes for 150 points' worth and have it count for gold next year, and scoop up Metroid II also before they changed it over.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Chronojam posted:

It said the code's already been used, unfortunately. Maybe you could email them and they'll refund your coins?

poo poo, I sent you the code that I used when I actually bought the game, PMing you another right now. Sorry about that.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

loudog999 posted:

poo poo, I sent you the code that I used when I actually bought the game, PMing you another right now. Sorry about that.

That one worked, thanks!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of June 20):

quote:

WII U ADD-ON CONTENT
    New Super Luigi U (NSMBU expansion) - €19.99 / £17.99
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Mario Bros. (NES) - €4.99 / £3.49
    Wrecking Crew (NES) - €4.99 / £3.49
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Mario & Yoshi (NES VC Trial Campaign) - €0.30 / £0.30 until July 11
    Little Inferno (Wii U eShop) - 50% off from June 20-June 27
    Trine 2: Directors Cut (Wii U eShop) - 50% off until June 27

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    LEGO Legends of CHIMA: Laval's Journey (June 21) - €39.99 / £34.99
    LEGO Legends of CHIMA: Laval's Journey (demo)
    Rayman Origins - €19.99 / £17.99
    Luxor - €11.99 / £10.79
3DS eSHOP
    BUGS vs. TANKS! - €7.99 / £7.19
    3D Game Collection - €24.99 / £14.99
    Gardenscapes - €24.99 / £14.99
    The Phantom Thief Stina and 30 Jewels - €4.99 / £4.49
    Witch's Cat - €4.99 / £4.49
    101 Dinopets 3D - €4.00 / £3.59
3DS ADD-ON CONTENT
    Fire Emblem Awakening DLC
    Rogues and Redeemers #3 (Ike/Limit Breaker, difficulty *****) - €2.49 / £2.29
    Future Past #3 ("glimpse into the future", difficulty *****) - €2.49 / £2.29
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Defenders of Oasis (Sega Game Gear) - €3.99 / £3.59
    Tails Adventure (Sega Game Gear) - €4.99 / £4.49
DSiWARE
    Armageddon Operation Dragon - 500 Points / €4.99 / £4.49
    Jewel Quest 5 – The Sleepless Star - 800 Points / €7.99 / £7.19
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages (3DS VC) - €4.99 / £4.49 until June 20
    The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (3DS VC) - €4.99 / £4.49 until June 20
    Super Little Acorns 3D Turbo (3DS eShop) - €2.49 / £2.49 from June 20-July 4

Remember, the digital version of New Super Luigi U will only be available to people who own NSMBU - if you want a standalone version of Luigi U, there's a limited-edition retail release coming soon. (NSMBU is also getting a title update that'll add Pro Controller support, among other things.)

No mention of 60HZ for Mario Bros/Wrecking Crew, although they did add the ability to save your custom stages in Wrecking Crew (also possible with the Wii VC version but not the NES original, I think).

Bugs vs Tanks is the second Guild02 release - this one was designed by Keiji Inafune and from what I gather it was the most well-received of the three Guild02 games in Japan (that is to say they disliked it the least).

Both Game Gear games are pretty good - Defenders of Oasis is an Arabian-themed JRPG (no connection to Beyond Oasis) and Tails Adventure is a side-scrolling action/adventure game not unlike Gargoyle's Quest or Quackshot or something.

The 3DS version of Rayman Origins isn't worth bothering with unless you have no other alternative - 30FPS, no multiplayer and it's zoomed way the hell out which ruins all the cool 2D art.

(Shantae GBC got pushed back to July for reasons unknown ((read: Nintendo)).)

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Whoa NSLU is THIS week?! Christ I need to get a copy of NSMBU now.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Since they're still releasing games on there (They're all Neo-Geo games lately but the point still stands), I take it that the Wii Shop will stay up, at least until the Wii is discontinued. And even then it'll probably remain up until Nintendo decides to remove Wii functionality from Wii U systems (Which hopefully they won't do.)

It would be pretty lovely if they took down the Wii Shop Channel, especially considering their whole work around to their small as hell internal storage was to simply redownload stuff off the shop when you want to play it. I would imagine that shutting down the shop would cause a fair amount of people to lose purchases that they simply could not fit onto internal storage.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

When the loving gently caress are we getting Megaman X in Europe? :argh:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
New 3DS firmware update!

quote:

Version 6.0.0-11U available via wireless Internet connection includes the following improvements:

Save Data Backup Feature:
Users can now back up save data for downloadable versions of Nintendo 3DS software and most Virtual Console games

Improved system stability and usability:
Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience

This update also includes a whole bunch of new (paid) Streetpass Plaza junk, including "Streetpass Squad", "Streetpass Garden", "Streetpass Battle" and "Streetpass Mansion".

EDIT: €4.99 each, €14.99 as a bundle.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

New 3DS firmware update!

This update also includes a whole bunch of new (paid) Streetpass Plaza junk, including "Streetpass Squad", "Streetpass Garden", "Streetpass Battle" and "Streetpass Mansion".

Wow, paid DLC for Streetpass...well if the service actually gets a lot from the new system I might get that, but not at the current time of MAYBE a random person when going to a store.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

New 3DS firmware update!

Are these additional games like FindMii?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yeah, they're Find Mii/Streetpass Quest-style games that rely on Streetpass/Play Coins to progress, and they all include a bunch of new hats (and outfits!).

Streetpass Squad is a scrolling shooter, Streetpass Garden is about collecting flowers and decorating a garden, Streetpass Battle is a simple strategy game a la Nobunaga/RoTK or something, and Streetpass Mansion is a vaguely roguelike-ish RPG.

You can see some Japanese footage here:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/software/built-in/miiplaza/meikyu/#id=movie006

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
And of course Nintendo of America is backwards like usual and didn't put this in the firmware update. Sometimes wish they would get rid of Reggie and get a new person in charge so they actually get VC games on time and stuff like Mario & Luigi within the same week of Europe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Rirse posted:

And of course Nintendo of America is backwards like usual and didn't put this in the firmware update. Sometimes wish they would get rid of Reggie and get a new person in charge so they actually get VC games on time and stuff like Mario & Luigi within the same week of Europe.

I'm not sure Reggie makes policy per se so much as enacts policy handed down to him by his Japanese overlords. It might be Reggie's hand on the wheel, but he's sitting in Iwata's lap.