Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

One of my biggest retro gaming regrets was selling my original front-loader NES, games, accessories, etc, back when I was a young, dumb childe. I sold it to buy a Genesis, and being a young, dumb childe thought "Genesis is better than NES, so why would I ever want to play NES again?". So stupid.

I think I kept FuncoLand alive in the mid 90s (my parents used to call them BuncoLand which is really funny if you look up the term bunco). I bought and resold them Illusion of Gaia I want to say three whole times. They made like $75 in pure profit off me on that alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

juliuspringle posted:

Would you mind showing me pics of the video cord I need to hook it up to tv?
C64 outputs video three ways and out of two places. RF video out of the RF out port, and Composite video and S-Video out of the AV port.

Here's the serial cable for the disk drive

For RF Video (shittiest) you need a single cable that is a RCA phono jack on one end, and a male Coax on the other, like those old boxes that the old consoles used to ship with. It doesn't need to have the box on it, any cable will do as long as you can adapt each end. You can get adapters that screw down onto the coax input on your TV and allow you to connect any old RCA phono cable. Make sure to pay attention to what channel, 3 or 4, the C64 is tuned to output RF to by looking at the little toggle switch to the right of the RF port.

Here's what my C64 Composite and S-Video cables look like on each side. My Luma/Chroma cable looks like the S-Video on the AV port end, but breaks out into 4 phono jacks instead of a S-Video male plug.

Copper Vein fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jun 13, 2013

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
C64posting makes me happy. :3: Best crew.

I need a new chroma/luma cable though, I gotta jiggle the poo poo out of mine to make it work right. I hope it isn't the video port on the C64C coming loose. :ohdear:

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

I think I kept FuncoLand alive in the mid 90s (my parents used to call them BuncoLand which is really funny if you look up the term bunco). I bought and resold them Illusion of Gaia I want to say three whole times. They made like $75 in pure profit off me on that alone.

Did you keep it in the end? I can see IoG being a bit of a borderline case for someone who hasn't been bitten by the collecting bug yet, it's a pretty cool game, but I didn't see much replay value in it.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Copper Vein posted:

C64 outputs video three ways and out of two places. RF video out of the RF out port, and Composite video and S-Video out of the AV port.

Here's the serial cable for the disk drive

For RF Video (shittiest) you need a single cable that is a RCA phono jack on one end, and a male Coax on the other, like those old boxes that the old consoles used to ship with. It doesn't need to have the box on it, any cable will do as long as you can adapt each end. You can get adapters that screw down onto the coax input on your TV and allow you to connect any old RCA phono cable. Make sure to pay attention to what channel, 3 or 4, the C64 is tuned to output RF to by looking at the little toggle switch to the right of the RF port.

Here's what my C64 Composite and S-Video cables look like on each side. My Luma/Chroma cable looks like the S-Video on the AV port end, but breaks out into 4 phono jacks instead of a S-Video male plug.

So this is what I should get? (I just checked the "svideo" cable I have is actually the serial cable for the disk drive.) Thank you nicely labeled picture.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Commodore-64-and-128-monitor-video-cable-New-Split-chroma-luma-with-audio-/290751532054

juliuspringle fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jun 13, 2013

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

juliuspringle posted:

So this is what I should get? (I just checked the "svideo" cable I have is actually the serial cable for the disk drive.) Thank you nicely labeled picture.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Commodore-64-and-128-monitor-video-cable-New-Split-chroma-luma-with-audio-/290751532054
No. That's a Luma/Chroma cable. It's for a monitor with Luma/Chroma ports, not a TV.

Firstly, make sure your AV port has 8 holes in it like the one in my picture. Apparently there are some differing models that's don't support S-Video.

If your C64 has a 8 hole AV port like the one in my picture, and your TV has an S-Video input, I would buy a cable like this.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-DUAL-Co...=item589a59a774

That one has Composite Video, S-Video, and the audio already split into two channels.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Thanks for being so patient and helpful guys. This is the first time I've ever seen the C64 not hooked up so I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to finding video cord for it. I'm used to the plug and play stylings of stuff from NES to now. The tv in the bedroom apparently does not in fact have s video but the "tv" in the living room is actually a monitor and I know I've seen Svideo on it when I hooked up Ps3 or 360 to it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Nah man, what you gotta get is one of these bad boys:

(obviously thats a Euro model because its for 220v, but the exact same thing was available in the US)

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Seeing two RCA inputs for video and 1 for audio is seriously freaking me out. It's like seeing someone with 1 eye but 2 noses.

Hasseltkoffie
Nov 22, 2006
I just got this TV: http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/siemens_color_tv_fs_948_ch384_0.html
It's supposed to be able to get both PAL and NTSC, I'm from Europe, so using only PAL and whenever I switch on my SNES or whatever the little display on the front will say "PAL" so that's pretty neat I think. Am I correct in assuming that I can plug in for example a Super Famicon and it'll work?

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Bought some games on eBay. :cool: The photos in the auctions looked good, but here's the condition they arrived in:

Complete with a hole torn in the envelope. All of the paperwork was damaged in transit, too. Thanks, USPS.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Wow what the gently caress, USPS. The cases are easily replaceable but you should call and complain anyway and show them the pictures, they could VERY easily have damage the discs themselves, not to mention some obvious damage to the inserts and manuals.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Wow what the gently caress, USPS. The cases are easily replaceable but you should call and complain anyway and show them the pictures, they could VERY easily have damage the discs themselves, not to mention some obvious damage to the inserts and manuals.

Yeah, do you know who I should call? This isn't even the first time this year I received something broken in transit. A dollar NES cart arrived with a chip out of the side, but whatever, I let it slide, it was just Super Spike V'Ball / Nintendo World Cup. I let the seller know, for what it's worth. I'm pretty pissed, I even have the envelope sitting around that's full of tiny shards of shattered plastic.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

I'm no defender of the USPS, but it's not their fault when something isn't adequately packaged. Jewel cases are notoriously fragile, and shipping them in an envelope is not adequate protection.

ohnoitschris posted:

Yeah, do you know who I should call? This isn't even the first time this year I received something broken in transit. A dollar NES cart arrived with a chip out of the side, but whatever, I let it slide, it was just Super Spike V'Ball / Nintendo World Cup. I let the seller know, for what it's worth. I'm pretty pissed, I even have the envelope sitting around that's full of tiny shards of shattered plastic.

Completely the seller to blame. They should've been smarter and shipped it in a box.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

https://www.usps.com/customer-service/customer-service.htm

That will list the phone number you can call, and you can also file an email ticket there, which you may want to do so you can easily provide pictures.

I JUST got a package today of a book I ordered almost two weeks ago from someone like an hour's drive from me, in the same state. It took them until today to actually deliver the drat thing. I had to send them two angry emails before I finally got a hold of someone who straightened it out. Things I ordered from Washington and Texas, AFTER I ordered that book, arrived several days ago. And all that time and effort wasted while they make ridiculous increases to shipping to Canada. USPS are largely run by complete morons.

^- Nnnnyyyeeeeehhhh. Better packaging would have been great, but it's USPS's fault that it got damaged. The website says their padded envelopes are best for "clothing, books, and boxed jewelry" and a book or piece of jewelry in a small case would have been just as damaged if it was crushed and ripped like it sounds like.

Safari Disco Lion fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jun 13, 2013

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Anyone who would ship a jewel case in an envelope is a moron. Don't call USPS about your crushed games, send those pics to your eBay seller.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

fatpat268 posted:

I'm no defender of the USPS, but it's not their fault when something isn't adequately packaged. Jewel cases are notoriously fragile, and shipping them in an envelope is not adequate protection.

Completely the seller to blame. They should've been smarter and shipped it in a box.

Yeah I would much rather have jewel cases shipped in an empty box with no padding or anything than in a padded envelope. Those things get crushed so easily.

I JUST got a package today of a book I ordered almost two weeks ago from someone like an hour's drive from me, in the same state. It took them until today to actually deliver the drat thing. I had to send them two angry emails before I finally got a hold of someone who straightened it out. Things I ordered from Washington and Texas, AFTER I ordered that book, arrived several days ago. And all that time and effort wasted while they make ridiculous increases to shipping to Canada. USPS are largely run by complete morons.
I'm currently waiting for this package, which has apparently gone from California to Iowa and back to California. I live on I-80, which means it has passed through my town twice and is now 1500 miles away.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 13, 2013

al-azad
May 28, 2009

fatpat268 posted:

If a hole was torn in the envelope that means it was likely crushed in transit. But unless you bought insurance your complaints will simply fall deaf on whatever poor customer service rep answers the phone.

But yes, who the gently caress sends a jewel case in an evelope? I don't even trust padded envelopes. Whenever I sell Sega CD or Saturn games in a bundle I straight up say in the auction "No matter how well I package this it will probably end up cracked during shipping. Know this before bidding." You got to package those assholes separately, individually wrapped in their bubble wraps. Why Sega, why????

Did you order media mail for the book? Because media mail is the worst thing in the world and I don't know why it's still an option in the year 2013. If you have something you would think about sending media mail you might as well just send it standard or priority.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

wa27 posted:

I'm currently waiting for this package, which has apparently gone from California to Iowa and back to California. I live on I-80, which means it has passed through my town twice and is now 1500 miles away.

Hahaha wow, that is pretty special.

al-azad posted:

Did you order media mail for the book? Because media mail is the worst thing in the world and I don't know why it's still an option in the year 2013. If you have something you would think about sending media mail you might as well just send it standard or priority.

It might have been, it was just some random third party seller on Amazon.

kynikos
Aug 15, 2001

Install Gentoo posted:

(obviously thats a Euro model because its for 220v, but the exact same thing was available in the US)

I bought one of these a couple years ago on eBay and the casing got messed up in shipping. I ended up getting it for free (full refund) but am not really sure what to do with it. Can these be used as an arcade monitor if I wanted to build a cocktail cabinet or something like that? Any suggestions?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Install Gentoo posted:

Cannot advocate this hard enough. I have a pair of them, and they are beeeeautiful CRTs. Great for the C64, and I have one hooked up via composite to one of my old xboxen. Very very nice.

Pikachu
Feb 6, 2010

DANGER DANGER
HIGH VOLTAGE

Install Gentoo posted:

Oh hey, my pawn shop has one of these guys.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Anatidaephobia posted:

Oh hey, my pawn shop has one of these guys.

Buy that poo poo right this instant! You're relatively new and this will bump your Thread Cred immensely. :v:

[but for real it's a great little monitor!]

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

kynikos posted:

Can these be used as an arcade monitor if I wanted to build a cocktail cabinet or something like that? Any suggestions?
It's not much better than using an old TV for such a thing.

It doesn't accept RGB input, which arcade boards output, so to get arcade video to it you need to run the video through an s-video encoder, at which point you could use any s-video capable display.

It's a nice little monitor for a C64, since it matches the breadbox model, but IMO, not really desirable beyond that.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Dear Dreamcast,

I am so, so, so sorry for what I'm going to do to you this weekend. It's better for the both of us.

-flyboi

(My parts came in to modify my dreamcast so that I can use my Genny model 1 scart cable to output both 480i and 480p to my xrgb mini) :o:

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
So my Super Everdrive came in and I'm excitedly trying to get ready for the FFV Four Job Fiesta. However, when I apply the english patch to the FFV ROM I can no longer play the game. It fades to a black screen and plays music after the title flies into the screen. Any ideas on how to fix that, by chance?

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

The final piece for my Summer Santa gift finally arrived today so I will be boxing it up and mailing it tomorrow, hopefully!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Midnight Raider posted:

Did you keep it in the end? I can see IoG being a bit of a borderline case for someone who hasn't been bitten by the collecting bug yet, it's a pretty cool game, but I didn't see much replay value in it.

I have two copies now :v:

I absolutely adore that game. I know it's super-linear but I don't care.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

As a representative of the state of Iowa, I'm so, so sorry we had to handle your package at some point.

Also what's up I-80 bro (Iowa City here) :hfive:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Illusion is one of my favorite games too. I wish the whole thing was actually combat focused. All of the walking around stuff is the junk I can't stand - especially when you get to the castle later in the game.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

iastudent posted:

As a representative of the state of Iowa, I'm so, so sorry we had to handle your package at some point.

Also what's up I-80 bro (Iowa City here) :hfive:

I'm still upset that someone on the last page was denied Vermont maple syrup. Anything made in New England is objectively better than anything else made in any other state or region (since we're on location chat). :colbert:

One more game-related news, my wife and I are finally breaking down and buying a Wii since the local Target is selling a bundle for $50 off and we have a buy 2 get 1 game coupon. Is there anything funky or weird about the backwards compatibility with the Gamecube? Like any games that just outright won't work?

I was going to say that we're finally joining in with the current generation of consoles but I guess that isn't the case any more with the Wii U. Then again, if you want to get really picky the PS2 still hasn't released it's last game (Fifa 14) yet so it's kinda like we were always modern and relevant! :v:

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Midnight Raider posted:

The secret level for 50 gems!

I have both the PAL and JP versions of that game, it definitely shines in the mood and music departments. I think I beat it about 4 times.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Quiet Feet posted:

I'm still upset that someone on the last page was denied Vermont maple syrup. Anything made in New England is objectively better than anything else made in any other state or region (since we're on location chat). :colbert:

One more game-related news, my wife and I are finally breaking down and buying a Wii since the local Target is selling a bundle for $50 off and we have a buy 2 get 1 game coupon. Is there anything funky or weird about the backwards compatibility with the Gamecube? Like any games that just outright won't work?

I was going to say that we're finally joining in with the current generation of consoles but I guess that isn't the case any more with the Wii U. Then again, if you want to get really picky the PS2 still hasn't released it's last game (Fifa 14) yet so it's kinda like we were always modern and relevant! :v:

I'm pretty sure it's just put gamecube game in and play. You should play Geist.

ISUCHARESLOLO
Dec 10, 2005

The verb "to google" has come to mean "to perform a Web search", usually with the Google search engine.
I'm selling a lot of SNES stuff in Sa-Mart. Come check it out! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3554511

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Xir posted:

So my Super Everdrive came in and I'm excitedly trying to get ready for the FFV Four Job Fiesta. However, when I apply the english patch to the FFV ROM I can no longer play the game. It fades to a black screen and plays music after the title flies into the screen. Any ideas on how to fix that, by chance?

One of two things is happening here since the FFV translation is very old.

1) You patched a non-headered ROM and the patch was for a ROM with a header (the converse is unlikely to be true as most ROMs had copier headers back in 1998). The solution would be to use uCON64 or NSRT to add a header to the original and re-patch. But since it did get to the title screen, this may not be the problem.

2) The FFV translation expands the ROM, but does not adjust the internal SNES header to match the new size. The Everdrive loads 16mbit into RAM as per the header, but all the RPGe script is past that since it expands the game to 24mbit. The solution is to correct the header. If the byte at 0xffd7 is 0x0b, then change it to 0x0c. If that byte was not 0x0b, then instead check 0x101d7 to see if that byte is 0x0b; if it is, then change it to 0x0c.

tvb
Dec 22, 2004

We don't understand Chinese, dude!
Anyone ever play Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine for N64?
There was an article on Indiana Jones games in Retro Gamer and I'm curious if it's worth checking out.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
So I think I got it all figured out for my cable. I blindly cut the pin for C Sync - 10 and verified there's NC to the pin on the scart cable

I found the resistor to the right of FL407 is where that pin goes right before the pinout so I'm going to tap in there for C-sync and then follow the schematic linked below to build a circuit with a switch that *should* give me a scart cable that can do both 480i and 480p through the xrgb mini. Here's hoping I didn't just ruin my dreamcast

http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=av:dreamcast_480i-480p_scart_cable

Pikachu
Feb 6, 2010

DANGER DANGER
HIGH VOLTAGE

Quiet Feet posted:

What model is it? The black horizontal wii and the Wii mini can't play gamecube games.

Code Jockey posted:

Buy that poo poo right this instant! You're relatively new and this will bump your Thread Cred immensely. :v:

[but for real it's a great little monitor!]

Everyone keeps trying to get me to buy C64 stuff but I'm mostly interested in old Nintendo :shobon:

Pikachu fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jun 13, 2013

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Quiet Feet posted:

Yeah, you could call it "funky". It hasn't existed for years. If you buy a new Wii at Target there will be no GameCube backward compatibility. You'll need to locate a used older model system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Anatidaephobia posted:

Everyone keeps trying to get me to buy C64 stuff but I'm mostly interested in old Nintendo :shobon:

Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself - old Nintendo is kind of the gateway drug to the harder stuff. Enjoy that for now... and when it just isn't enough anymore, you'll ask us what we've got that's stronger, what we have in bigger pixels and cooler sound chips, and that's where we C64 types will be. :v:

• Locked thread