Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Diogines posted:

As soon as it makes sense to do so, we'll get you a Sebek of your very own! Or not! Maybe!

Unless we're the Sebek to Donal's Denziroh :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

Canuck-Errant posted:

Donal's hosed :(

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

No matter how this vote ends, I wanted to say that it was a pleasure. That and blame Sojenus if we die, because he did not vote to keep falling.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

If we have 60 voters by 8:00, which is the 4 hours from my previous post when I said "4 hours if we got enough people", I will do the next update, which is 40 minutes from now.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ai-NXQJr2zTRdHpLTzB6RlY1d0dZMS1DVlV1Wkk5YkE#gid=0 is the current tally. My thanks to Cannuck for keeping a tally.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.

Theglavwen posted:

It's possible that all of our blood will be sucked out to fuel Asherah's lightning and Dio will end the game; it's also possible that we could throw our spear at a monster, and have it regenerate and encorporate the spear into its frame, and become an evil spear monster, twice as powerful as before! I don't personally think either is very likely.

I think this is a disingenuous thing to say. We've seen Sushem perform the ritual before and we know what the consequences are. Tudiya's men stabbed him in the chest several times and it didn't cause him to bleed. You'd think that if the tooth only drained a little bit of blood there'd still be at least some blood seeping from Sushem's wounds, but that wasn't the case. There's at least some evidence that using the tooth is a very bad idea, and you can't just handwave that away.

Diogines, I want to recall the events surrounding Sushem's death. When Tudiya separated the priest's head from his body, did we get a good look at it? If so, did we see any blood seeping from his corpse at all?

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Zybourne Clock posted:

I think this is a disingenuous thing to say. We've seen Sushem perform the ritual before and we know what the consequences are. Tudiya's men stabbed him in the chest several times and it didn't cause him to bleed. You'd think that if the tooth only drained a little bit of blood there'd still be at least some blood seeping from Sushem's wounds, but that wasn't the case. There's at least some evidence that using the tooth is a very bad idea, and you can't just handwave that away.

Diogines, I want to recall the events surrounding Sushem's death. When Tudiya separated the priest's head from his body, did we get a good look at it? If so, did we see any blood seeping from his corpse at all?

Not a drop.

Here is the post in question.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3550307&userid=129241&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post415883229

michael knight
Oct 16, 2003

I love pubbies!
Rx3 pray to El to destroy Ashera and these monsters that are obviously servants of that heathen pretender. :angel:

cxp
Mar 27, 2010
Fun Shoe

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Yo, to you guys who want to try some flashy lightning poo poo. Have you considered that EL and his bunch have been really free and open with the power displays. Tudiya glowing and poo poo, speaking in tongues, super strength, EL calming the forests for us when we prayed to him.

You know what would be super cool? If we professed our UNSHAKEABLE faith and invoked a prayer to EL. He's been giving out boons and miracles like candy, I'm sure we can get a lil something for him. After all, we're favoured by Gods, we knew of the storm when we were but 4 years old.

And this spear? We're loving naturals at throwing spears. We spent so much time in the sea and with Jorah practicing that poo poo. Hell we're already unconsciously shifting into the best spear throwing posture and grip.

Imagine a divine imbued EL powered spear throw.

Vote ORF

Voting for this. ORF

Ashera seems to be the kind of god you pray to so he leaves you alone, and we're rather far from his domain now I would think.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Have we ever seen him bleed before? Maybe he was just a walking corpse that could not die until another priest replaced him.

PandaPropaganda
Apr 22, 2008
Voting ORF.

Pray to El and the angels for protection, or failing that, the strength to protect our best friend and mother. Also, do everything we can to keep ourselves between our mother/Danal and the monsters.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Have we ever seen him bleed before? Maybe he was just a walking corpse that could not die until another priest replaced him.

You have seen him use his own blood in rituals before. He had blood.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Diogines posted:

Blood sucking tooth theory looks more and more possible. I still don't buy it, but it does make a certain degree of sense.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Diogines posted:

For some reason I imagine you just having an exasperated look. "Yes, the sky is blue, Deadlyhamsandwich."

Also, the vote so far looks like a fun result.

rex monday
Jul 9, 2001

Pisk. Pisk. Piiiiiiisk!
Voting HHH just because the vote currently has us yelling to El, then doing some heathen poo poo. Best to try to get our prayers in line with our actions since S is going to happen regardless.

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

rex monday posted:

Voting HHH just because the vote currently has us yelling to El, then doing some heathen poo poo. Best to try to get our prayers in line with our actions since S is going to happen regardless.

Yeah, I'll change my vote to this as well, from HSS to HHH. Changing once more to SSS

Ixtlilton fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jun 14, 2013

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Shifting vote to not-HHH from FOR.

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003
I am voting not-sss

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Canuck-Errant posted:

Danal: "Enkidel, a significant part of Zepath is becoming unsatisfied with my rule, some of them are even threatening riots and revolution. Should I hear their demands, or scold them for their lack of faith in me? I urgently need your advice on how to handle the situation, my good friend :ohdear:"
Enkidel: "Just publicly execute some of them them, you'll be fine :buddy:"

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
I'm changing my vote to not SSS.

e: I really don't want to shoot down people's ideas, I just think that using the tooth is this game's equivalent of trying to vomit up our own skeleton.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

B - C - S

Lightning traditionally works best going from up to down. Lets shoot the lightning...from the tree. Might as well keep Danal with us while we do.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Changing my vote: from FOR to:

rex monday
Jul 9, 2001

Pisk. Pisk. Piiiiiiisk!

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

Danal: "Enkidel, a significant part of Zepath is becoming unsatisfied with my rule, some of them are even threatening riots and revolution. Should I hear their demands, or scold them for their lack of faith in me? I urgently need your advice on how to handle the situation, my good friend :ohdear:"
Enkidel: "DEVOUR THE WEAK :black101:"

I made it better.

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

Voting for SSS gently caress being the good guy lets make this a story of cannibal pirates bringing doom to all!

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

Zybourne Clock posted:

It is a bit, yes, the two examples aren't perfectly equivalent, there is slightly more evidence for the blood sucking tooth than the other example, but not enough to put it substantially further into the realm of likely outcomes, I don't think. The complete absence of blood is intriguing, I'll grant, but I'd say it's much more likely that it was simply part of the 'immortal' effect Asherah was imbuing Shushem with; wouldn't have been a very effective invulnerability if he'd actually been bleeding out and taking wounds, and when you couple that with the fact that cutting his palm seemed to be Shushem's standard go-to supplication, and that it doesn't seem terribly sensible for Shushem to have immediately enacted a desperate, last-stand sort of maneuver in response to only just encountering some strangers who hadn't even evidenced particular maliciousness or threat, you have to make a pretty serious leap to the assumption that Asherah rituals are a one-time life-for-lightning sort of deal.

Who knows, maybe Shushem had actually forseen this, and was indeed offering his life to try and change the outcome he thought was coming. I'd still bet, in that case, though that there's a bit more to it than just cutting your palm a bit and asking for lightning. Shushem used the tooth often, and cut his palms as a way of offering to Asherah, and didn't suffer for either one in the majority of cases, that we can tell. I imagine that if a full on life-offering does come into it, we'll have a bit more notice, or a chance to cut the ritual off before it completes.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Okay, changing my vote to

. , and

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Theglavwen posted:

Shushem used the tooth often, and cut his palms as a way of offering to Asherah, and didn't suffer for either one in the majority of cases, that we can tell.

I was on the side of "the tooth will suck our blood out and kill us" until this argument. It makes a lot of sense.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Voting is closing in 30 seconds.

DCBomB
Sep 14, 2008

HiHo ChiRho posted:

I'm changing my vote to , since S is winning already and I want it to work, I am calling on El to help his people in our time of need, to protect the son of the king and let his Enkidel, his wild man, channel wild lightning to defeat these monsters.

Changin!

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Time to review the votes and analyze them.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

El Lightning is incoming, or nothing happens, or we die. I guess.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

SerSpook posted:

El Lightning is incoming, or nothing happens, or we die. I guess.

All three, then we can come back as Jesus and bring loaves and fishes to everyone, I think that's how it works.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Preemptively voting for Mage Game if we die.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Zybourne Clock posted:

e: I really don't want to shoot down people's ideas, I just think that using the tooth is this game's equivalent of trying to vomit up our own skeleton.

Except for the fact that the skeleton vomiting came right out of left field, as something's don't think Diogines had really planned for?. As opposed to using the tooth, the option of which to do so has been in the cards for a while now, that he would have reasonably expected us to try. Why would he make one of the most game-centric options an instadeath?

Well, there's a few reasons, but Diogines doesn't strike me as that sort of GM, ha

e: Although funnily enough, the vote results are actually pretty fitting for who we're turning Ogenkidel into; Truely believing the Gods will protect us while cutting ourselves for Asherah but accidentally praying to the wrong one cause we're retardedly bipolar.

alpaca diseases fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jun 14, 2013

rex monday
Jul 9, 2001

Pisk. Pisk. Piiiiiiisk!

Raserys posted:

Preemptively voting for Mage Game if we die.

If we're pre-voting in case of death, I'd like to see the dragon game.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Y'all should have a little faith in our ADD lad. Og could pull through yet! :colbert:

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

maxhush posted:

Except for the fact that the skeleton vomiting came right out of left field, as something's don't think Diogines had really planned for?. As opposed to using the tooth, the option of which to do so has been in the cards for a while now, that he would have reasonably expected us to try. Why would he make one of the most game-centric options an instadeath?

Well, there's a few reasons, but Diogines doesn't strike me as that sort of GM, ha

e: Although funnily enough, the vote results are actually pretty fitting; Believing the Gods will protect us while cutting ourselves for Asherah but loving it up by accidentally praying to the wrong one.

All tooth stuff actually came from player's voting for it. Hell, I think I might have suggested taking the tooth and running. Shooting lightning came up last update or the one before it, and Diog is just adding that because people wanted to try it. It's not really central to the game at all.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

maxhush posted:

e: Although funnily enough, the vote results are actually pretty fitting for who we're turning Ogenkidel into; Believing the Gods will protect us while cutting ourselves for Asherah but loving up and accidentally praying to the wrong one cause we're all bipolar about things.

Hey, there's a lot going on, I guess we should be glad we ended up saying words at all, as opposed to ... well voiding our bowels while screaming gibberish.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.

Theglavwen posted:

It is a bit, yes, the two examples aren't perfectly equivalent, there is slightly more evidence for the blood sucking tooth than the other example, but not enough to put it substantially further into the realm of likely outcomes, I don't think. The complete absence of blood is intriguing, I'll grant, but I'd say it's much more likely that it was simply part of the 'immortal' effect Asherah was imbuing Shushem with; wouldn't have been a very effective invulnerability if he'd actually been bleeding out and taking wounds, and when you couple that with the fact that cutting his palm seemed to be Shushem's standard go-to supplication, and that it doesn't seem terribly sensible for Shushem to have immediately enacted a desperate, last-stand sort of maneuver in response to only just encountering some strangers who hadn't even evidenced particular maliciousness or threat, you have to make a pretty serious leap to the assumption that Asherah rituals are a one-time life-for-lightning sort of deal.

Who knows, maybe Shushem had actually forseen this, and was indeed offering his life to try and change the outcome he thought was coming. I'd still bet, in that case, though that there's a bit more to it than just cutting your palm a bit and asking for lightning. Shushem used the tooth often, and cut his palms as a way of offering to Asherah, and didn't suffer for either one in the majority of cases, that we can tell. I imagine that if a full on life-offering does come into it, we'll have a bit more notice, or a chance to cut the ritual off before it completes.

But Sushem did sustain wounds. The spears went straight through his body and Tudiya severed his head in a single clean blow. And why would magically removing someone's blood be essential to making that person immortal? I really don't see the connection you're trying to make there. Fact of the matter is that all of his blood got drained, and that Sushem worshiped a cannibalistic demon and was the leader of a tribe of people who worship teeth. I can't prove that Asherah did in fact squeeze Sushem dry like a juice box, but thematically speaking it's a much better explanation that 'must be related to the magic ritual for some unknown reason'.

Don't forget that Sushem was the high priest of a neolithic tribe, and that Tudiya and crew were like aliens to him. Wine was a completely unknown thing in the tribe. When the king offered him some, he thought they were trying to poison him to death. The tribesmen pointed their spears at the king's men, which is practically the universal way of saying 'get lost, we don't want your kind here'. Tudiya and his men willfully chose to ignore this sign. From Sushem's perspective, he had every reason to suspect them of malice. Considering how he had no patience for our fumbling, it's a miracle he didn't try to fish laser them out of existence any sooner.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
I am interpreting the combination of praying to El and cutting our hand with the tooth as us trying to desperately pray to El the only way we know how to desperately pray, like our father did. This isn't the time for some bed time prayer where we clasp our hands together. This is time for serious cutting your own hands prayers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

SerSpook posted:

All tooth stuff actually came from player's voting for it. Hell, I think I might have suggested taking the tooth and running. Shooting lightning came up last update or the one before it, and Diog is just adding that because people wanted to try it. It's not really central to the game at all.

It can be argued that the tooth has been a staple point in the game since the first vote to cut Jalithas hair with it. The game thus far anyway, I meant.

My point anyway was that voting to use the tooth can't really be compared to voting to vomit up our skeleton last game. One is a vote that could be reasonably expected to happen eventually, and the GM knowing what will happen after it. Where as the other one came right out of left field, therefore carrying with it a lot more chance of death/real bad whatever. If that makes sense.

alpaca diseases fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 14, 2013