Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kira Akashiya
Feb 2, 2013
Voting E N U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

maxhush posted:

It can be argued that the tooth has been a staple point in the game since the first vote to cut Jalithas hair with it. The game thus far anyway, I meant.

My point anyway was that voting to use the tooth can't really be compared to voting to vomit up our skeleton last game. One is a vote that could be reasonably expected to happen eventually, and planned for by the GM, where as the other wouldn't have been and thus more deserving of 'vote for instadeath' status, if that makes sense.

FWIW, I think it's more likely to be akin to voting to change the message to Narod. It might work if the rolls come out right, but it has serious potential for terrible things. I'd not argue the tooth as a staple either way though, I'm not even sure it's the same one we used on Jalitha's hair? It's there, but we have only kept it because we've put forth the idea of keeping it, and only used it because we've put forth the idea.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

I am working on the update.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
We should have fed our lizard friend when we had the chance. I look away for a few hours and we decide to hang tight and believe real hard in some gods, and try and shoot lightning.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

Zybourne Clock posted:

But Sushem did sustain wounds. The spears went straight through his body and Tudiya severed his head in a single clean blow. And why would magically removing someone's blood be essential to making that person immortal? I really don't see the connection you're trying to make there. Fact of the matter is that all of his blood got drained, and that Sushem worshiped a cannibalistic demon and was the leader of a tribe of people who worship teeth. I can't prove that Asherah did in fact squeeze Sushem dry like a juice box, but thematically speaking it's a much better explanation that 'must be related to the magic ritual for some unknown reason'.

Don't forget that Sushem was the high priest of a neolithic tribe, and that Tudiya and crew were like aliens to him. Wine was a completely unknown thing in the tribe. When the king offered him some, he thought they were trying to poison him to death. The tribesmen pointed their spears at the king's men, which is practically the universal way of saying 'get lost, we don't want your kind here'. Tudiya and his men willfully chose to ignore this sign. From Sushem's perspective, he had every reason to suspect them of malice. Considering how he had no patience for our fumbling, it's a miracle he didn't try to fish laser them out of existence any sooner.

The head severing is the only wound we can really say he sustained; the spears went right through him, for all appearances doing no damage. Perhaps once everything was over they would have proven to be fatal, but then maybe not. All we know is that he didn't appear to bleed, not even that he had no blood, but that his wounds weren't bleeding, as though he wasn't taking real damage. If the wounds had been bleeding, it would have seemed much more like he was just being kept on his feet until Asherah was done with him, after which he would have collapsed from his wounds and blood loss. Essentially, I don't see it as him having no blood, just as his wounds not bleeding, as though they were entirely trivial, his blood, or life's essence, or what have you, was just being preserved while he was channeling his god.

The problem I have with the view you propose is that, as I've said, it assumes Shushem's response to invaders is to immediately kill himself to protect the tribe, which seems like an enormous step to take when there may have been any number of alternatives. Shushem, as I see it, was confident in Asherah's power, and confident enough to channel it as a first and only resort, not as a great and final gesture, but as a proper and sensible course of action to take as high-priest. I don't see him as having seen Tuidya as so great a threat that the time had come to abandon his tribe and give his life to stop them; rather the lightning was just part of his standard hostilities response. He didn't really seem to be concerned about the invaders, he thought Asherah was going to wipe them away, I don't think he had any intention of dying there, before, or after the ritual.

Hey, I could be wrong, but I got no impression from that scene that Shushem felt he was sacrificing himself, or doing anything out of the ordinary for a Fish-Priest of Asherah, and as far as I can tell, Fish-Priesting doesn't seem to involve dying at the slightest provocation.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

I was under the impression it was the same one the whole way through - featuring in the two most major events of our life so far; The haircut and the killing of our Father.

But you're right about the results being based on stuff out of our control. I'm just finding it annoying, the 'Asherah = instadeath, you retards' sentiment that seems to be coming across.

I also think its slightly funny that the closest we've gotten, that we know about so far, to getting seriously hurt was from the decision to grab the spear from the donkey.

e: vvvvv Yea I think that pretty much any of the options really have the same chance of working or not working at this stage too, but the lightning (to me anyway) was the only one where, if it worked, we ourselves could make a difference and get noticed as someone (maybe) different from your average kid. Yea for better or worse, but at least it'd make the game more interesting.

But the votes are tallied - carry on game!!

alpaca diseases fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jun 14, 2013

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

maxhush posted:

I was under the impression it was the same one the whole way through - featuring in the two most major events of our life so far; The haircut and the killing of our Father.

But you're right about the results being based on stuff out of our control. I'm just finding it annoying, the Asherah = instadeath you retards sentiment that seems to be coming across.

I don't think many (any?) are saying it's instadeath, just that the chance of death is kind of high for no real benefit. There's been some people convinced that we have to lightning or we die, but I really, really doubt that. Think of it like this, when considering the danger we are in:

Tudiyah killed a dragon. This dragon's skull is now the gate to his city. That is a massive dragon. These things? These things are nothing, he's not even using a weapon right now. His entourage members can each likely destroy one of these things if they try. Sure, they regen, that just means he has to kill them faster than they regenerate :black101:

What we do has little real impact on this, beyond whether we stand our ground or not, whether we pray or not, whether we believe in gods or not, etc. So I don't see this outcome as bad, but I do think it's one of the more dangerous choices. If it works, then great, but I feel the chances of that are lower than the chances of death or something else terrible.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

SerSpook posted:

Tudiyah killed a dragon. This dragon's skull is now the gate to his city. That is a massive dragon. These things? These things are nothing, he's not even using a weapon right now. His entourage members can each likely destroy one of these things if they try. Sure, they regen, that just means he has to kill them faster than they regenerate :black101:

Tudiya confirmed for Julius Belmont.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

You try to remember the words your father chanted when he shot lightning at Tudiya and the others, but you barely heard them at the time and can not recall them now as the other men fight and as the beasts charge at you.

You take off the enormous tooth you wear around you neck in one hand and grip it tightly.

You cut your other palm and think as hard as you can LIGHTNING!!!!

As the tooth makes contact with your blood, you feel your mind your mind FILLED with a booming emotion, it is not a voice, but a FEELING and an overwhelming one which nearly overrides your taste, smell, hearing, sight, touch, all of your senses.

Lot and Ishamal have rushed to the spot where you were standing and charged towards the monsters, in time to see you soar into the air. The other men are still fighting one of the monsters, it's severed limb has regrown in the span of a few seconds and three more creatures just as large are now visible and coming in the direction of Danal, Keza the servant woman and Jalitha, Lot and Ishamal are between the monsters and them. Less than thirty seconds have passed since Tudiya first stood up seeing the first monster. You are lifted off of your feet and begin to move very quickly in a southwest direction, you pass through the branches of a tree which scratch your body and face, you have moved a hundred feet in less than two full seconds and...

QUESTION 1. Pick one. You...

OPTION A: GRAB A TREE BRANCH AND HANG ON FOR DEAR LIFE!!!! This will mean dropping the tooth.
OPTION B: TRY AS HARD AS YOU CAN TO SHOOT LIGHTNING AT THE MONSTERS! YOU DON'T KNOW HOW! BUT TRY ANYWAY!!!! LIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHTNIIIIIIIIIIIIING!!!!
OPTION C: Scream! Optional to include with either of the above!
OPTION D: Empty your bladder! Also optional to include with either above!

QUESTION 2. You also...
OPTION E: Say nothing! Besides screaming above, if you do.
OPTION F: Say something to Tudiya!
OPTION G: Say something to Danal!
OPTION H: Say something to Ishamal!
OPTION I: Say something to Jalitha!
OPTION J: Say something to Barkof!
OPTION K: Pray to El!
OPTION L: Pray to Asherah!
OPTION M: Pray to one of the Angels/Sky Giants!
OPTION N: Pray to one of the Great Fish!
OPTION O: Pray to Enkidu!
OPTION P: Pray to Labaras!
OPTION Q: Speak or pray to someone else!

For question 2 you do not have to specify what you say, but it is encouraged to do so, not mandatory, feel free to point to something another player wrote up.

For those who missed the mini info dumps since the last update, the following posts came up in response to player questions:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3550307&userid=129241&perpage=40&pagenumber=4#post416472591

quote:

Asherah's name was only invoked if an offering to him was being made or his stories being told, which often involved offerings too.

Your people did not yell his name in surprise. According to your father, he is a god who will punish disobedience and who will not help otherwise.

Your people did not want to attract his eye unless they wanted to court disaster or had an offering. In the minds of your people, the endless fish are simply the state of the world, there are ALWAYS fish to catch and storms never happen. Unless Asherah is pissed, in which case, fish go away or storms hit. Asherah causes each and every big storm because he is pissed off. Usually because there were not enough offerings. Incidentally, big storms were rare, only a few a year. Well not rare from your perspective, that is how often it storms everywhere, right?

Suggesting praying to Asherah for protection would probably result in your father hitting you and other villagers looking at you like you were nuts. Asherah only protects you from one thing. Himself. At least according to your father and your village.

His children, the Great Fish, mentioned in earlier posts, do have their names invoked more commonly and are known to sometimes answer prayers for help. They also like offerings, some like chopped and bloody fish like Asherah, some like beautiful stones, shells, pearls and a variety of other things. Feeding marine mammals is generally seen as a way to make the "nice" gods of your village happy as well, as well as feeding the fish closest associated with each of the Great Fish, their offspring. An ideal way to make am offering is to find the den, hole or environment of one of the children of the Great Fish and leave them inside.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3550307&userid=129241&perpage=40&pagenumber=4#post416472591

quote:

To comment on the discussion, since it is based on things you do or don't know from your mother's stories, which are fair game to reference at any time, just like your "Father's" stories. Did X ever come up in their stories or have any relevance is always a fair game question.

In your mother's stories, the sky giants Smattas and Marnal saved people many times from monsters and bad people and cannibals. In the stories, sometimes people yelled to them by name for help, sometimes they just asked El for help, sometimes they asked El to send them, sometimes they simply appeared to help. You never considered if the distinction was meaningful before, if there was one. Is there? Was there? When you prayed with her to see Jorah home safely during the twice yearly men only trips, she prayed to El but often mentioned both Smattas and Marnal.

There are many other sky giants like them and you know of them too, see earlier posts, but if your moms stories are to be believed, they must be doing nothing but saving people all of the time, you know many stories about both.

They always show up to save people trouble who call for help in the stories, if they are good people, but sometimes at the very last moment, which is more exciting.

El never appears in person to deal with people in the stories, though in some of them he speaks to the other sky giants. In some stories he talks to people through a disembodied voice but in most, he sends another sky giant to deliver any messages.

You probably should not rely on the stories at all. They were just meant as stories meant to entertain children, right?

If you want to, feel free to join us on irc #madgod on synirc.net. The channel tends to always have some people in it and is especially active when updates go up.

If you do not know what IRC is, here is a web based chat version which will not require you to register or download anything: http://chat.mibbit.com/

Diogines fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jun 14, 2013

Mr Apollo
Jan 1, 2013
1. A, C, D.

2. K

Also, can we try and drop the tooth?

Mr Apollo fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jun 14, 2013

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

I second trying to drop the tooth. This is not going well for us.

And pray to be delivered from demons and monsters.

SerSpook fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jun 14, 2013

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Good job, guys.

Spreadsheet. Oh, Eris, why?

and try and drop it like it's possessed by the spirit of a vengeful, ever-hungering god

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jun 14, 2013

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
That is an evil monster tooth and it will make us eat all our friends.

1: A. And drop the tooth.
2: K.
El, I'm sorry for dabbling in my fathers evil tooth magic. Please don't turn me into a monster!

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock

SerSpook posted:

This!

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Ha, well we've caught his eye, so as per the stories we'd best offer him something so we don't court disaster I suppose.

1. B (+C)
2. L

Recycling my prayer from earlier, either spoken or in our heart;

"Asherah!!; these ravenous beasts know not true hunger!!!, they are but pretenders cast from the deep....grant me to deliver them back to you as glorious sacrifice"

alpaca diseases fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jun 14, 2013

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Flying! One way ticket home! Yay!

Janac
May 12, 2010
1. B
2. L Make sure to include something along the lines of "Eat the beasts instead of me, they will better sate your hunger" in the prayer.

Changed vote in a later post.

If we let go of the tooth and manage to break the flight, we're just going to slam into the ground with a high enough speed to die.

Janac fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jun 14, 2013

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

maxhush posted:

Ha, well we've caught his eye, so as per the stories we'd best offer him something so we don't court disaster I suppose.

1. B (+C)
2. L

"Asherah!!; these ravenous beasts know not true hunger!!!, they are but pretenders cast from the deep....grant me to deliver them back to you as glorious sacrifice"

This is my vote.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Come on, they said. Let Asherah win a vote, they said. What's the worst that could happen?

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

maxhush posted:

1. B (+C)
2. L

Yep! Lets do this.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Are you making GBS threads me?
You're voting to follow a deity who overrides your senses with Comic Sans?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Raserys posted:

Come on, they said. Let Asherah win a vote, they said. What's the worst that could happen?

We're not on the ground at the mercy of lizards. We're flying like adventuring heroes. It's choose your own adventure.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

SerSpook posted:

+1

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Tsyni posted:

We're not on the ground at the mercy of lizards. We're flying like adventuring heroes. It's choose your own [B]adventure[/B}.

We're being possessed by a demon or about to be devoured by a cannibal fishgod as he flies us to him at unsafe speeds. We have no control over anything we're doing really.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Canuck-Errant posted:

Are you making GBS threads me?
You're voting to follow a deity who overrides your senses with Comic Sans?

I was wondering if anyone else noticed that. Maybe Asherah has a strange sense of humor?

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

I was wondering if anyone else noticed that. Maybe Asherah has a strange sense of humor?

I wonder if the comic-sans is Diog trying to send us a message about the wisdom of trusting the fishgod.

XOXO
Mar 8, 2013

Ask me about being weaker than a 60 year-old British woman.

We're pretty much along for the ride now.

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897

SerSpook posted:

+1

You guys are idiots. I was for keeping the tooth, but clearly we can't have it around if dumb voices are going to do stuff like this. Toss it.

Greaseman
Aug 12, 2007
B & C

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Flying! Yay!

We need to find some better eats than us for Asherah, and quick. I gather he is neither patient nor subtle. I wonder if regenerating mini dragons would do it? We will need to wrestle Asherah now. But...

Flying! Yay!

rex monday
Jul 9, 2001

Pisk. Pisk. Piiiiiiisk!

Raserys posted:

Something interesting happened! Something that doesn't involve watching some superman do a thing while we stand around with the women. We're being proactive!

maxhush posted:

1. B (+C)
2. L

Voting this way.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

He's the eternally joyful god of infinite cannibalistic hunger.
We're his prophet.

We're going to look just like this! :nms:

Always smiling. Always hungry.

Or we could try to pray to El and shoot lightning. Maybe it will work?
B
K

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

B
C - "Aaaah! AAAAAHHHH! S-s-storm! Aaaaah!"
L

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
[18:59] <Diog> Is Asherah going to have to eat you and end the game before people realize he is notgoing to help you?

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

:siren: Option A has been edited due to multiple IRC questions and posts. :siren:

OPTION A: GRAB A TREE BRANCH AND HANG ON FOR DEAR LIFE!!!! This will mean dropping the tooth.

You will need both hands to grab it.

PandaPropaganda
Apr 22, 2008
Voting AK. Maybe we can still salvage this.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

RandomPauI posted:

[18:59] <Diog> Is Asherah going to have to eat you and end the game before people realize he is notgoing to help you?

This is honestly a really clear decision and I'm surprised that anyone is still honestly convinced of Asherah's benevolence here. We are being possessed and will soon be eaten. Some of the clarity may come from IRC though.

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice

RandomPauI posted:

Dear players, you are impotent and surrounded by heroes. Here's a magic weapon. Don't use it!

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

1. A. Hey, I love :coolfish: as much as the next guy, but this poo poo ain't gunna end well. Time to drop the tooth, try to grab a branch, and hope for the best.

2. O. Enkindu is probably the person most likely to be sympathetic to our situation. El is probably a bit peeved we used the tooth, and Enkindu is not only out spiritual godfather, he also dealt with the whole 'being born into a different faith and running into El' thing. Something to the effect of, "Hey buddy! Help! We know you went through poo poo like this too...kinda...sorta...probably! Help a namesake out!"

FoxTerrier fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jun 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Bularin posted:

Dear players, you are impotent and surrounded by heroes. Here's a magic weapon. Don't use it!

He's not the one that gave us the weapon, we were after we took it from Shushem due to the victory of a write-in option. He's not the one bringing up using lightning, we were through an attempt a vote or two back to do this. At no point has Diogines even hinted that we could do this, and he made it very, very clear we really couldn't.

We had a chance at being a very powerful being, but it was voted down in favor of mortality. Which is fine, but that means we need to work our way up and not be significantly powerful for very long.