Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

FoxTerrier posted:

1. A. Hey, I love :coolfish: as much as the next guy, but this poo poo ain't gunna end well. Time to drop the tooth, try to grab a branch, and hope for the best.

2. O. Enkindu is probably the person most likely to be sympathetic to our situation. Something to the effect of, "Hey buddy! We know you went through poo poo like this too...kinda...sorta...probably! Help a namesake out!"

I hate to spoil this one for you dude but enkidu is probably not a prayer-receiving entity but more likely just dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Edit: Nevermind! Phrased better in SerSpook's post above.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jun 14, 2013

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

andrew smash posted:

I hate to spoil this one for you dude but enkidu is probably not a prayer-receiving entity but more likely just dead.

Unless there's something I missed, I assumed as such an important figure in El stories that he was some kind of saint figure.

I'll go re-read that section though, maybe I missed something.

Kira Akashiya
Feb 2, 2013
1. B
2. E

Absum
May 28, 2013

Well someone's going to die now.
But hey, at least we didn't cut ourselves when we we're with Danal in the forest I guess?

Tudhalias
Sep 7, 2009
1. A
2. K "El, save us from the monsters!"

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

SMATTAS!MARNAL!HEEEELPMEEEEEEE

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
A, O

Too bad there's no Kadai option...

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.

Grab a branch and drop the tooth.
Piss yourself.
Yell in Tudiya's direction, "Help me! I don't know what's happening!"

If anyone mortal can save us right now, it's the king. Be somewhat honest - we knew we were trying to invoke Asherah but didn't expect this. Hope he comes to our rescue and is willing to forgive us for thinking that we could help. Swear off the fish forever, because that is some nightmare poo poo and not the voice we heard when we were 4.

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003

Help!

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jun 14, 2013

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
QUESTION: What the hell is to the southwest? The ocean?

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Bularin posted:

Dear players, you are impotent and surrounded by heroes. Here's a magic weapon. Don't use it!

Hey 11 year old child who is impotent to the situation surrounding you, surrounded by heroes. Here's a magic weapon. Try it!

*Tries it*

You are enveloped by all senses by HUNGER. Your body is being compelled violently and very fast in the direction of, for what you know, is at best an apathetic god and at worst a demon who hungers for humans. You are impotent in this situation. Here's the maybe magic weapon you were using. Hold onto it!

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

QUESTION: What the hell is to the southwest? The ocean?

You have been traveling, as best you can tell, almost straight north, and you started right near the sea, which was west of he village.

Yes. A line straight southwest would take you into the ocean.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
D -- Piss all over myself in fright and drop the tooth.

F -- Beg Tudiya to help me.

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

See them other chickenheads? They don't never leave the coop.
B, L fishgod til i die (imminently)

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Lightnin? HA! Thats a good 'un!
Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!
Option X: Satisfy the hunger. Stab everything. Devour everything.

Basscop fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jun 14, 2013

Eryxias
Feb 17, 2011

Stay low.
B
F:
Try to get Tudiya's help

Random Idiot
Mar 15, 2001
Lacking the requisite training to fully channel the hunger of fishgod, we're sent hurtling through the air. Awesome.

While it may be futile for an eleven year old to wrap his head around staying cool in a crisis, I vote:
B/Q: Where Q is to recite that first story of fishgod that fishdad made us memorize over and over in our head for no reason other than to try to focus.

I know a lot of people are panicking what with the whole flying thing, others are just seizing a golden opportunity to ditch our last relic of fishgod, but I want to see where this goes.

Mr Apollo
Jan 1, 2013

Random Idiot posted:

Lacking the requisite training to fully channel the hunger of fishgod, we're sent hurtling through the air. Awesome.

While it may be futile for an eleven year old to wrap his head around staying cool in a crisis, I vote:
B/Q: Where Q is to recite that first story of fishgod that fishdad made us memorize over and over in our head for no reason other than to try to focus.

I know a lot of people are panicking what with the whole flying thing, others are just seizing a golden opportunity to ditch our last relic of fishgod, but I want to see where this goes.

I'll tell you where this goes, right into the mouth of an apathetic hungering demon. Game Over.

[18:59] <Diog> Is Asherah going to have to eat you and end the game before people realize he is notgoing to help you?

[22:30] Diog As far as i can tell, the game has been a series of increasingly obvious hints that Asherah is HUNGRY and not benevolent. Even his Priest has explicitly told you that he never helps people and punishes you if you disobey. And several infodumps repeated this.

Mr Apollo fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jun 14, 2013

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Random Idiot posted:

Diog pretty much said that it leads to us being eaten though.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
I'm going to interpret our decision to cut our palm with the shark tooth as a panic reaction; we were scared, didn't know what to do, and ended up making a terrible decision by accident.

1. A, C, D. If possible, chuck the tooth at the demons below.
2. K. "Great and benevolent El, please forgive my momentary lapse of judgment. I was scared and acted without thinking. Please don't let the fish demon eat me".

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
Nope, sorry Ashera but it's time to get really scared and flip to our other god. It's certainly cool to see this all playing out, especially because of the threat of lethal action.

Voting for A and K, cry out to El for protection, but not just for us. Cry out for El to protect Jalitha and Danal as well while we try to grab at branches with one cut hand and one fine one.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

I'm under no impression that at all that Asherah is benevolent at all, I just want to do something other than being Els most loyal sycophant. All of a sudden forgetting we, as a character, believe in both Gods (therefore would want to appease both)

Anyway; In for a penny, in for a pound; Asherah hungers, so we'd better give him something that isn't us, I don't think dropping the tooth will help.

Plus, if Els as Old Testament as I suspect he is, asking for mercy immediately after doing something that is his antithesis might not fly with him either.

alpaca diseases fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jun 14, 2013

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
A and K

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Mr Apollo posted:

I'll tell you where this goes, right into the mouth of an apathetic hungering demon. Game Over.

[18:59] <Diog> Is Asherah going to have to eat you and end the game before people realize he is notgoing to help you?

[22:30] Diog As far as i can tell, the game has been a series of increasingly obvious hints that Asherah is HUNGRY and not benevolent. Even his Priest has explicitly told you that he never helps people and punishes you if you disobey. And several infodumps repeated this.

As far as I can tell, people are imagining the being they want to exist and voting accordingly, which is fine, the majority wins, but, if he only exists in your mind...

Zybourne Clock posted:

I'm going to interpret our decision to cut our palm with the shark tooth as a panic reaction; we were scared, didn't know what to do, and ended up making a terrible decision by accident.

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.
B + L Plan Maxhush

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Thought you guys wanted to shoot lightning? We've already started this, might as well finish. Praying to Asherah as well will help us with the lightning, he protects his faithful.

B and L and maxhush's plan are the best ways to go if you wanted to be Asherah's loyal priest

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

1: +
2:

Hey guys! Let's offer a BLOOD SACRIFICE to the all consuming giant fish worshiped by a tribe of cannibals. The father who beat us constantly made it clear this is a wrathful entity who exists only to consume. There is no way this is a Bad Idea because they guy who constantly abused us and never taught us anything practical, just before he was killed, failed to accomplish anything when he shot lightning at powerful beings. BUT LIGHTNING!!! And obviously we can trust an entity that speaks in comic sans! :downs:

Why are goons so insistent on suicide as the best possible course and then do everything in their power to handwaive away the DM's warnings? By this point Team Asherah is dense enough they're probably qualified to be commentators at :foxnews: (well aside from being a slightly less evil and bloodthirsty culture.)

Mr Apollo
Jan 1, 2013
Nothing to see here.

Mr Apollo fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jun 14, 2013

Greaseman
Aug 12, 2007
Sheesh, all I wanted to do was lightning. Frankly, I am devastated by the idea that Asherah would betray my trust, and are in favor of avoiding the gods and their tyranny henceforth.

Oh, right, surviving. Uh, I change my vote to A & F. Lets call Tudiya for help; he is undoubtedly able to give it, and in the immediate area for hearing us.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Greaseman posted:

Sheesh, all I wanted to do was lightning. Frankly, I am devastated by the idea that Asherah would betray my trust, and are in favor of avoiding the gods and their tyranny henceforth.

Oh, right, surviving. Uh, I change my vote to A & F. Lets call Tudiya for help; he is undoubtedly able to give it, and in the immediate area for hearing us.

Hey, you can't cast lightning if you're on the ground. We're just rising up in the sky to channel the lightning through us.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Greaseman posted:

Lets call Tudiya for help; he is undoubtedly able to give it, and in the immediate area for hearing us.

Though thinking about it, if he helps us, what does that mean for everyone else?

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
Hm, alright, we're still panicked, we hoped Asherah would turn aside his minions if we abased ourself, but that seems to have gone ... sideways. This hasn't gone as our young self hoped. Maybe we think Asherah is bringing us 'home' to him, but even if that is the case, we're still pretty sure he's pissed off, so our homecoming is probably not going to be a good one; rather, it seems likely his hunger is too great to be appeased, he's angry with us, and is going to devour us.

We're not sure yet if we should look elsewhere for help, or desperately try and appease Asherah some more, in the hopes we can convince him to spare us, but whatever we choose, our immediate response is to loving panic and grab a tree branch, anything to regain some control! So that's an A there ...

Now that we're grabbing a branch, what do we cry? Do we cry out for Asherah, beg him to spare us? Do we think he's bringing us back to the ocean, to serve as our father did, to become one with his hunger? It certainly flooded through us as though it was our own. Or do we think his hunger and anger is too great, and that we can't appease him, and he's just going to eat us? We're young, afraid, and even believing in Asherah, we certainly don't believe in his mercy, and we're quite doubtful of our position with him, now that we've cut our hair and left our people. We've felt his hunger, but it's mingled with our fear; we believe in Asherah, but we're not fanatics, and we don't want to die just because he wills it. Asherah is terror, and we can't plead with terror, we need someone to intervene on our behalf. So not praying to Asherah.

But who? Those below us are busy, and far away, we don't believe they can reach us in time, and we sort of have gods on the mind at the moment. Do we pray to El? Possibly, we've been getting a lot of that lately, El worshippers are all around us, perhaps we desperately hope the other faction will save us from Asherah's hunger. To the angels or mythic heroes? Nah, I think praying to El would trump that, and I don't know that our grasp of the El religion is innate enough yet for us to quickly call up which minor deity we ought to be calling to in times of need, we'd focus on the big name that we know. OR do we fall back on our upbringing; Asherah is predominantly on our mind at the moment, we've spent our life being drilled with the holy stories of Asherah and his children, in them are probably proverbs and lessons on how to react to certain situations, much like biblical parables and the like. Perhaps then we would instinctually call out to his children, and ask them to intervene on our behalf, to save us from their father.

In the heat of the moment, I'm inclined to think our years of training, drilled in by frequent beatings, will come to the fore most strongly, so right now I'm voting ANVote Changed, pray to Asherah's children to interve for us. That being said, we've also grown up with stories of El and his angels answering prayers, although those have been less strongly drilled into us, so my vote might hinge on a:

Question for Diogenes: In any of the Asherahn stories we know, do the children of Asherah ever intervene to protect our people? Are there stories of the minor gods serving as intermediaries, or countering their father, saving people from the storms or fish-droughts that accompany his anger? Are we ever taught to ask the minor gods for help?

If not, I'll probably change my vote around.

Theglavwen fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jun 14, 2013

wibblewobble
Jul 7, 2010
A and Q and not pissing ourselves.

We've overreached ourselves by thinking we could pull off throwing lightning everywhere. Since only the strong prosper we're going to cling on for dear life and shout our defiance at Asherah/El/everyone. 2 days ago our father was killed, we left our village for the first time and what we see as our place in the world is extremely uncertain, so we're not in the mood to take poo poo from anyone.

wibblewobble fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jun 14, 2013

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Theglavwen posted:

Question for Diogenes: In any of the Asherahn stories we know, do the children of Asherah ever intervene to protect our people? Are there stories of the minor gods serving as intermediaries, or countering their father, saving people from the storms or fish-droughts that accompany his anger? Are we ever taught to ask the minor gods for help?

If not, I'll probably change my vote around.

There is not a single story in everything you have learned your entire life, of Asherah ever helping anyone.

Asherah does not help you. He punishes you if you disobey, as Shushem taught you and as everyone in the village knows.

Some of his children, the Great Fish, do indeed help and can be asked for help. Asherah never does.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Mr Apollo posted:

[22:44] Diog And if you vote B you are going to die.

[22:45] Diog I dont see how anyone could honestly think it was a good choice, except, as some pointed out on IRC, they are invested in an Asherah they WANT to exist. And does not. If you vote B your going to die.

[22:45] Diog And there are indeed many options to NOT die.
[22:45] Diog All of which involve not voting B

Well, obviously everyone else is a namby pamby crossing guard retard who can't vote on something INTERESTING.

I WOULD VOTE AND RELEASE THE HUNGER GOD

buuuuuut I would like to live to adulthood first before we die needlessly.

edit: huur durr

HiHo ChiRho fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jun 14, 2013

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

See them other chickenheads? They don't never leave the coop.
I'm changing my votes.

#1 WRITE-IN: A, but only once we're closer to the sea, and far away from our kidnappers and the monsters.

#2 WRITE-IN: Cry and call for Jorah.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

I understand that some people are frustrated over the negativity and some of the things being posted / said on IRC. I appreciate your frustration. Hang around to the end of the vote, the game is not over, yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XOXO
Mar 8, 2013

Ask me about being weaker than a 60 year-old British woman.

A RICH WHITE MAN posted:

#1 WRITE-IN: A, but only once we're closer to the sea, and far away from our kidnappers and the monsters.

Adding This to my original vote of D, pissing ourself.