Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Ularg posted:

Edit: Also, I guess my mind has blocked out all of the Holocaust deniers and people yelling "Siegheil!" unironically. A video game isn't the place for you to talk about how much you hate jews, joke or not.

I saw a guy when entering the server say "Sieg Heil"... :rolleyes: These people

I must say I'm hooked as well, I think RS also benefited from the issues that were fixed since the release of RO2. Not everything was fixed, "CANNOT PRONE HERE, IDIOT", but having the squad respawn mechanic work and be responsive really changed some game aspects for me. I really like the squad leader role and am having as much fun playing Japanese or Ricans.

You just gotta understand that RO2/RS is all about close range engagements and staying at spawn point pixel sniping is useless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Le0 posted:

I saw a guy when entering the server say "Sieg Heil"... :rolleyes: These people

I must say I'm hooked as well, I think RS also benefited from the issues that were fixed since the release of RO2. Not everything was fixed, "CANNOT PRONE HERE, IDIOT", but having the squad respawn mechanic work and be responsive really changed some game aspects for me. I really like the squad leader role and am having as much fun playing Japanese or Ricans.

You just gotta understand that RO2/RS is all about close range engagements and staying at spawn point pixel sniping is useless

Rising Storm didn't fix anything. :mad: Invisible walls catch bullets and grenades, mortars fly through cover, arty kills me from a block away, I can't prone here, I can't prone there, I'm being yelled at by the game to bandage because I'm bleeding but I can't because the game wants me to watch me slowly fade to black, the game not recognizing I reloaded my gun, and some more.

But in spite of that I am enjoying the hell out of it. I don't know why.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Le0 posted:

Boy is it fun doing close range engagements with bolt action rifles.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Aside from all the casual racism on voice chat, I'm actually enjoying this mod/expansion/standalone/dying slowly simulator. I really enjoy the knee mortar, and even though I die a lot it is a lot of fun.

Aside from the casual racism. Seriously, the server had a message pop up that said "Racism will not be tolerated." and the guy on voicechat's response was "Racism won't be tolerated? Rut do woo think about that, Tojo?" (bad Japanese faked accent)

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Ularg posted:

Rising Storm didn't fix anything. :mad: Invisible walls catch bullets and grenades, mortars fly through cover, arty kills me from a block away, I can't prone here, I can't prone there, I'm being yelled at by the game to bandage because I'm bleeding but I can't because the game wants me to watch me slowly fade to black, the game not recognizing I reloaded my gun, and some more.

But in spite of that I am enjoying the hell out of it. I don't know why.

Well honestly RS didn't change much anything to the base RO2 game, only thing that I can think of is the banzai charge which apparently now the Germans can also do and the new weapons. All the rest has not been touched at all.

Microsoft Weird
Sep 11, 2007

KildarX posted:

I didn't much care for RO or RO2[and yet I bought both day one on steam], but for some reason I can now confirm Rising Storm has me hooked. It's the strangest thing. The only thing I want is the kill message lag to stop. I know I am being a manchild, but the lag gives me this irrational sense of hate . :iiam:

Also the community is poo poo from what I can tell, but it could just be me joining the wrong servers.

I hate the killfeed delay on my targets, although when I find myself under fire I always approach it as a boon. That moment will sometimes empower the wounded with an extra second to escape behind cover before bandaging, and it works more often than you'd think, especially during stalemates wherein shooters must think twice before showing their next muzzle flash. Hell, it can work against M1 Garands. The advantage is simple, and mostly plays on your common sense: when bleeding either slowly or normally, move to the nearest cover before bandaging; when heavily bleeding, it is best not to move far, just lie down should you have the cover ready, or hurry up and return fire because you're likely dead, anyways. If you're hiding in the dark or recessed in a pillbox, shooters won't be able to tell by the bloody mist whether they've missed; so use their uncertainty as a weapon and pop up to strike back, if you feel so bold. The risk is still there, and often times the voice actors give immediate audio feedback to 'confirm' a hit or a kill, but there are a few false positive calls which introduce reason for riflemen to doubt their own instincts.

Microsoft Weird fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jun 11, 2013

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer

Jarmak posted:

You can't argue that Tripwire sucks for making RO more action-y, and a post later argue that Tripwire sucks for making a mode just like the old RO... because no one likes the old RO

I think we should do a classic mode event this weekend

What's it take to set up a server? I've never done anything like that before.

Apparently there was a goon run RO2 server when it first came out, who was running that?

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
The community's genuinely appalling, there were some guys who were treating this as fun last night, but those fags were quickly shouted into silence.

It sucks that you can't 'skip' a level on some upgrades, the Type 100 bayonet only comes with the rank 2 poo poo. Cap zones still confuse the hell out of people, the worst of it is that they would have even MORE kills to farm in safety if they got in cap instead of losing the match at record speed.

SanitysEdge
Jul 28, 2005

Panzeh posted:

Boy is it fun doing close range engagements with bolt action rifles.

Rebind fire to MMB and melee to LMB.

SanitysEdge fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jun 11, 2013

Microsoft Weird
Sep 11, 2007

I think middle mouse is the worst possible choice out of the cadre of standard FPS buttons for melee. Pressing it under pressure almost always leads to +scroll weapon switching. If your mouse doesn't have 5 buttons already, find some buttons and glue them on.

VVVVV ruins indirect fire all the time for me, too VVVV

Microsoft Weird fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jun 11, 2013

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

They need to allow you to turn off scroll wheel weapon selection altogether. It only ever fucks me up, be it when I'm range adjusting or banzaiing/meeleeing.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWOCMZA4NFs

I'd make a remark or witty comment but I don't think that's necessary.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Jesus Christ, I got into a game last night that was fine, I was doing well, and then turned into pubbie racist bullshit. White people complaining about the non-white in their towns. There should be a "gently caress these fuckers and peace out to the menu" option that doesn't cost all your match XP. God drat, this is why I never got an xBox.

Can we please start that steam group already?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Should start countering the Japanese racism with american racism. Or is that touching the poop too much :v:

"Boyah Ah sure love guzzlin' bacon grease and fuckin' mah cousin, tell you wha"

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

moths posted:

Jesus Christ, I got into a game last night that was fine, I was doing well, and then turned into pubbie racist bullshit. White people complaining about the non-white in their towns. There should be a "gently caress these fuckers and peace out to the menu" option that doesn't cost all your match XP. God drat, this is why I never got an xBox.

Can we please start that steam group already?

Info isin the op now

Mumble Server: http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...hreadid=3521554 (Registered Users Only)
Steam Group: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/go...playrisingstorm

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Should start countering the Japanese racism with american racism. Or is that touching the poop too much :v:

"Boyah Ah sure love guzzlin' bacon grease and fuckin' mah cousin, tell you wha"

I was in a match with some friends playing Allies and our entire team were calling each other Hamburgers and yelling orders and doing fake southern accents it was great.

On the topic of lovely keybindings, the use key. I use left Ctrl as push to talk on Mumble so every loving game I gotta go into keybindings. Usually it's something simple like prone or crouch but in this game it's a use key. And not just that, it's like there are 6 different actions bound to Ctrl that I have to rebind and it took so long to find a key that wasn't used / wasn't really stupid. Ended up going with J to get into turrets and to resupply and to pick up weapons and to and to, ugh. It just goes "Hit the <use> key!" and I always forget what it is.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Just now I was on the TWB campaign server, and some guy responded losing a point to the Japanese on Guadalcanal with "gently caress those Asians", to which I replied "gently caress your racism" or some such thing. Apparently the server was monitored by a non-playing admin (at least I didn't see any TWB tags on the player list), because suddenly some admin channel boomed "RACISM?". So I explained who was racist and he made the guy do a public apology and promise no to do it again.

I'm definitely sticking to the TWB server.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Shamefur Dispray

Commit Sudoku!

loving japs

WELCOME TO RISING STORM!!!

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Playing on Japan one night and listened to that stuff for about 30 minutes straight. I asked my Chinese girlfriend angrily yell random poo poo in Shanghai into the mic for me. They don't know the difference. Then she yelled "AMERICAN MONKEYS!!!" and some people got really pissed off.

edit

I wouldn't say really pissed, but a couple definitedly said somethign but suddenly the "Hey racism isn't cool" poo poo started piping up.

And then I had about seven friend requests.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

:shepface:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

:confused: : "Are you going to shoot them with the mortar?"

:downs: : "No! I'm gonna drive a truck! Brrrrrrooommmrrrrrooom"

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I really wish MaoistLeninist would come back and play Rising Storm while blasting Chinese propaganda music like he did in Red Orchestra 2. The pubbie reaction was hilarious then, now would be even better.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Mans posted:

I really wish MaoistLeninist would come back and play Rising Storm while blasting Chinese propaganda music like he did in Red Orchestra 2. The pubbie reaction was hilarious then, now would be even better.

I will always have a soft spot in my heart for "Your government lie to you GI!"

Microsoft Weird
Sep 11, 2007

Rising Storm - Anyone up for a little Battlefield: Vietnam?

mods??

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer
http://www.incountrymod.com/ ?

Let's get a game together tonight. I'll be hanging out in the mumble server as soon as I get home.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Rhandhali posted:

http://www.incountrymod.com/ ?

Let's get a game together tonight. I'll be hanging out in the mumble server as soon as I get home.

I really want to play that. It doesn't look like it's available though.

Boofy
Sep 11, 2001

Somehow I got just kill points for the flamethrower while playing as the Japanese :v:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Boofy posted:

Somehow I got just kill points for the flamethrower while playing as the Japanese :v:

I think I have seen flamethrowers go down in a blaze of glory if you hit them right, I wonder if that can cause friendly AoE damage...

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
On Iwo Jima I am having a hard time playing Machine gunner on Allies. When I try to prone up the hill there are some random places I can't prone or set up the LMG. If I'm near the crest and set up my LMG my view pops way up from the ground. I can't tell if I'm still prone on the back slope of the hill or if the game just put me up in the air floating. I can't set up the LMG on any of the rocks. Please tell me I am doing something wrong and the trick to playing attacking Machine Gunner on this map is so obvious and easy. When I can get setup and not completely destroyed the second I set up I can lay down a LOT of fire.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Ularg posted:

On Iwo Jima I am having a hard time playing Machine gunner on Allies. When I try to prone up the hill there are some random places I can't prone or set up the LMG. If I'm near the crest and set up my LMG my view pops way up from the ground. I can't tell if I'm still prone on the back slope of the hill or if the game just put me up in the air floating. I can't set up the LMG on any of the rocks. Please tell me I am doing something wrong and the trick to playing attacking Machine Gunner on this map is so obvious and easy. When I can get setup and not completely destroyed the second I set up I can lay down a LOT of fire.

You're right about it being difficult to set up the MG in a lot of good spots.

You have to treat the Allied MG as a rifle on that map. There are a few really good spots on the right side at the beginning, and then close to C on the second/third points. Don't even bother trying to fire blind (through smoke, I mean) or suppress because you'll get insta-sniped from 150+m. If you set up properly, you can get enormous numbers of kills.

Really the overall rule with attacking MGs is to hit people from the side, but that doesn't work on Iwo.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I think I have seen flamethrowers go down in a blaze of glory if you hit them right, I wonder if that can cause friendly AoE damage...

I don't know what the gently caress happened, but I saw an American with a flamethrower, so I crouched behind a doorway and peeped out just as he came bolting through the doorway on fire, then dropped and left a horrifying charred corpse. It was no 30 second bleed-out, but goddamn that left an impression.

Microsoft Weird
Sep 11, 2007

Until Iwo is fixed, your team hardly needs you! :byobear: Most rounds of this map won't even involve the full three 50cals. During the chaos of your opener, see if you can wrest control of the middle bunker and the dugout behind it with suppression, or pick off reinforcements from the beach ridges while your team captures A/B. Never ever take the sniper perch on the right corner of your beach, you're too obvious, you will die, and your snipers can't work out of their few positions. Move up and take a supporting position by C as a spawn point by deploying. (Maybe bring a book for this part? Don't get mortared, don't peek out alone. Move around during enemy recon. :angel:) Once your team is ready for the C push, peek up from the left and lay down suppressing fire on the axis reinforcements streaming south from F. If your teammates just stack+hide to cap, expect to die... but you might kill an enemy squad leader in the process.

On F, you're as dependent on lucky timing as your teammates. Move with a group on either flank and set up to cover chokepoints near one of the ammo crates. Try not to give your MG away by rushing in alone.

Microsoft Weird fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jun 14, 2013

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

Ularg posted:

If I'm near the crest and set up my LMG my view pops way up from the ground. I can't tell if I'm still prone on the back slope of the hill or if the game just put me up in the air floating. I can't set up the LMG on any of the rocks.

Yeah I've had this on Saipan(?) Got a load of kills, even taking my time over them. Wasn't sure if people could actually see me or not, but when I reloaded it popped me back down again

Carpet fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jun 14, 2013

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Someone was awarded my SL slot... but I got to play SL anyway, I just didn't have a squad or a team leader, or my own squad leader. Had smoke but binoculars didn't work.

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

War is not the answer but it sure is fun

moths posted:

I don't know what the gently caress happened, but I saw an American with a flamethrower, so I crouched behind a doorway and peeped out just as he came bolting through the doorway on fire, then dropped and left a horrifying charred corpse. It was no 30 second bleed-out, but goddamn that left an impression.
The flamethrower sets surrounding surfaces on fire, he could have stepped into one of his own little fires too long and burned for it.

Microsoft Weird
Sep 11, 2007

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Someone was awarded my SL slot... but I got to play SL anyway, I just didn't have a squad or a team leader, or my own squad leader. Had smoke but binoculars didn't work.

This seems to be a bug. I've received battlefield commissions which just don't work right. The pattern involves using the commission on a coincidentally empty slot. One round, after a demoralizing rout, I decided to use my commission to take over the free TL chair (with a rifle for Peleliu trench warfare) only to find myself deflected into Rifleman. I'd already laid out a plan on the mic and asked for a mark on specific coordinates, too. :blush: The funny part is, noone on the team (nor the new, micless commander) was upset at a rifleman calling a grand strategy, people seemed happy to have some semblance of organization. A silent commander is a deadly premonition, of course.

Microsoft Weird fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jun 14, 2013

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Battlefield Commissions are fussy and seem to be buggy. I always just accept them and re-select the same role I'm already playing.

The whole mechanic is stupid, anyway. Someone could be playing a role extremely well and still lose it to some dope who got lucky.

Ray
Sep 5, 2005

is een geheim voor iedereen

TheBlobThing posted:

Just now I was on the TWB campaign server, and some guy responded losing a point to the Japanese on Guadalcanal with "gently caress those Asians", to which I replied "gently caress your racism" or some such thing. Apparently the server was monitored by a non-playing admin (at least I didn't see any TWB tags on the player list), because suddenly some admin channel boomed "RACISM?". So I explained who was racist and he made the guy do a public apology and promise no to do it again.

I'm definitely sticking to the TWB server.

TWB servers are pretty well run. On the other hand, you should really have the Mike Nomad Experience at least once in your life.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Ray posted:

TWB servers are pretty well run. On the other hand, you should really have the Mike Nomad Experience at least once in your life.

What the hell is the Mike Nomad Experience? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alain Perdrix
Dec 19, 2007

Howdy!

TheBlobThing posted:

What the hell is the Mike Nomad Experience? :confused:

Have you ever had a traumatic brain injury? It's almost exactly like that.

• Locked thread