Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

mastershakeman posted:

I take it the opinion on bear cans is pretty strong, but the rangers in Yellowstone told me they don't believe in bear cans at all and say to always hang your pack. There's no consensus on this at all, right?

I think they might have been trolling you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
It actually varies park to park. Bears in and around the heavily traveled parks have apparently become familiar with bear canisters and have figured out a good deal, if not most of them. They are still preferred over bagging in most parks but it just depends.

Also, not sure why a park ranger would troll someone on something like bear safety in their own park. Ive always found most park rangers to be overly cautious about what they recommend/tell their guests because they would generally rather be overly safe than not.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Levitate posted:

That's pretty weird since I've read in places like the Sierra's, bears have started learning they can't even get into the bear cans and won't even try anymore if they see one. Hanging a bear bag on the other hand can be easily figured out by bears who have even learned how to send their cubs up trees to knock them down.

Maybe there's multiple sides in this but I'd at least be interested in why they don't believe in bear cans. Only thing I can think of is in Yellowstone, you have a lot of large grizzlies and it might be harder for them to get to hung bags, and you also have a lot of tall trees, making it easier to hang a bag. In other places, once you get above the tree line it can be pretty hard to find a place to hang a bag effectively

It's illegal not to bear can in most of the high Sierra, there are small sections where you can hang legally and I believe it's in the more backcountry areas where less bears have been rewarded by food anyway so they are trawling campsites less. Many places there aren't many tree branches high enough to hang anyway... I heard one bear learned to roll bear cans off of cliffs to shatter them at the bottom, but mostly they will not even try because it's too much work.
I can't speak to yellowstone, but a quick googling seems to indicate they provide hanging poles and prefer that method or they provide bear boxes. Perhaps indeed those bears have learned ways to get into MOST bear canisters. I don't know how they could get into the BV500 because I can barely get it open without fingernails, but that's not the cheapest/heaviest model of rental bear can in my experience (this one: http://www.campmor.com/backpacker-bear-resistant-food-container.shtml?source=CI&ci_sku=14097&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw=)

pizzadog fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jun 13, 2013

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
Clearly the answer is to hang your bear can.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

PRADA SLUT posted:

Are fixed or folding knives generally preferred for multiday hikes?

Depends on what I'm going to be doing during and on the hike. If I plan on fishing at any point in the trip or hunting I take my fixed blade. So much easier and quicker to filet a fish or dress an animal with a fixed blade.

For books on edible plants try and find something region specific. I see lots of general North America books on wild edibles but I've found that the more region/climate specific books go into far greater detail and are more useful in helping to identify plants.

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

In preparation for my first backpacking trip, I bought these trail shoes, wigwam socks, and trekking poles a couple of months ago. I have water-proof boots but I bought the trail shoes because I wanted to switch over to something lighter and breathable.

I found out today that the trail I'll be hiking on is going to be 'extremely wet & muddy' because of melting snow. I want to use my new shoes and walk in something lighter but extremely wet and muddy sounds like it'll be a nightmare for me. What would you guys do in my shoes(hurr)?

I have pants and gaitors but v:shobon:v

Dr. Video Games 0089 fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jun 13, 2013

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0089 posted:

In preparation for my first backpacking trip, I bought these trail shoes and some trekking poles a couple of months ago. I have water-proof boots but I bought the trail shoes because I wanted to switch over to something lighter and breathable.

I found out today that the trail I'll be hiking on is going to be 'extremely wet & muddy' because of melting snow. I want to use my new shoes and walk in something lighter but extremely wet and muddy sounds like it'll be a nightmare for me. What would you guys do in my shoes(hurr)?

Go with boots.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Boots.

I only wear trail shoes if its going to be warm or dry and you wont be doing anything where ankle support is needed such as scrambling or climbing.

If the conditions call for any water crossings (large or small), snow, rocks, or generally rugged terrain I will always opt for my boots over shoes any day. Pebbles and rocks, snow, water, bark and twigs generally find themselves into the bottoms of my low shoes where as they never get into my boots.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

In preparation for my first backpacking trip, I bought these trail shoes, wigwam socks, and trekking poles a couple of months ago. I have water-proof boots but I bought the trail shoes because I wanted to switch over to something lighter and breathable.

I have pants and gaitors but v:shobon:v

Wear the boots. If you're camping, might be worth it to bring the trail shoes along as camp shoes.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

krispykremessuck posted:

Wear the boots. If you're camping, might be worth it to bring the trail shoes along as camp shoes.

Yeah, boots. I own a pair of the Merrel Trail Glove 2's, but they're more for running and strength training than hiking. I'm sure it would be ok on a relatively developed trail for a shorter hike, but those things have next to zero padding, no shank, and are low. For your first backpacking trip I just have a feeling that your feet would be destroyed.

Do you frequently do barefoot or minimalist walking/running? Because the trail gloves are pretty much Vibram Five-Fingers without the toe separation.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

Sounds like you're set then. Have fun and take lots of pics!

Marshmallow Mayhem posted:

but mostly they will not even try because it's too much work.
I don't know how they could get into the BV500 because I can barely get it open without fingernails, but that's not the cheapest/heaviest model of rental bear can in my experience (this one: http://www.campmor.com/backpacker-bear-resistant-food-container.shtml?source=CI&ci_sku=14097&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw=)

I've had bears come through camp, sniff around, follow the scent to the bear cans, and then walk away because they knew better. I use those black ones as well. We bring a nickel to open them. Fits perfectly in the little slot.

I've always assumed cans are the safest way to go, so I'm really surprised that a ranger told you not to use one. Then again, I don't know how many or what other cans bears have figured out that would lead someone to mistrust using cans.

In preparation for my first backpacking trip, I bought these trail shoes...

Go with boots like the others are suggesting, but bring these as camp shoes. Your feet will be glad to be out of boots at the end of the day.

i_heart_ponies
Oct 16, 2005

because I love feces

LogisticEarth posted:

Yeah, boots. I own a pair of the Merrel Trail Glove 2's, but they're more for running and strength training than hiking. I'm sure it would be ok on a relatively developed trail for a shorter hike, but those things have next to zero padding, no shank, and are low. For your first backpacking trip I just have a feeling that your feet would be destroyed.

Do you frequently do barefoot or minimalist walking/running? Because the trail gloves are pretty much Vibram Five-Fingers without the toe separation.

The Trail Glove 2's have a rock plate as well as 4mm of EVA in the midsole, so they're a bit more beefed up than your average VFF (the only Five Fingers with a rock plate to my knowledge is the Spyridon). One of the big changes to the Trail Glove 2's over the original Trail Gloves posted above is the DWR treatment to the mesh, so they won't wet out as quickly in soggy conditions. You'll still get wet in either of them, but less so in the 2s. If wetness is what you're trying to avoid definitely go for the boots, but if it's a short-ish hike your feet are made out of leather and are waterproof themselves so it's not like you'll be getting trench foot. It will probably just be uncomfortable.

The Vapor Gloves are 2mm of floppy EVA and no rock plate so they're going to going to match up to VFFs a lot better as far as foot protection goes (meaning there is none). I still consider the Vapor Gloves to be my favorite trail running shoe, even more than my beloved New Balance MT10s, but I'm also a pretty dedicated and experienced un-shod runner / hiker. I like the Vapor Gloves for camp shoes too because they pretty much weigh next to nothing, roll up tiny and feel like a slipper made from a T-shirt and an old bike tire on your swollen feet at the end of the day.

LogisticEarth, check out the new Ascend Gloves when you get a chance... they're more of a beefed up Trail Glove with 6mm of EVA and a Trail Protect pad in the forefoot and heel (like a slightly softer rock plate for protection w/o sacrificing ground feel) and still a zero drop package. I love them so much.

i_heart_ponies fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jun 14, 2013

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Business of Ferrets posted:

I think they might have been trolling you.

Going back to this, I can't imagine rangers would troll someone with bear safety related information. We joke around with amiable park guests, but the only time we might ever give information that wasn't strictly accurate would be erring on the side of caution.

For example: when a carload of 20 year old college guys pull in 3 hours before sunset with no lights and a 20oz bottle of water and ask me for the hardest trail up the mountain. I direct them up the main trail, telling them how tough it is. To be fair it is tough, but in a stairmaster way rather than the scramble-up-sheer-ledge way they're hoping for.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

This thread is the first place I've ever heard of bear cans. They're not a thing here at all. Almost all backcountry campsites here have permanent bearbins, or lockers, installed by the Parks. Hanging your bag if there's a bearbin available is illegal. If there is no bearbin, then you can hang your stuff. But that's pretty rare, and I think is found only in really deep, deep backcountry areas. These are areas that maybe see one or two groups per year, if any at all, so tree damage is considered negligible.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

TerminalSaint posted:

Going back to this, I can't imagine rangers would troll someone with bear safety related information. We joke around with amiable park guests, but the only time we might ever give information that wasn't strictly accurate would be erring on the side of caution.

For example: when a carload of 20 year old college guys pull in 3 hours before sunset with no lights and a 20oz bottle of water and ask me for the hardest trail up the mountain. I direct them up the main trail, telling them how tough it is. To be fair it is tough, but in a stairmaster way rather than the scramble-up-sheer-ledge way they're hoping for.

Well, I wasn't actually being serious, if that helps.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
It must be Yellowstone specific, where the density of bears and backcountry campers has led to the bears figuring the cans out or at least knowing they contain food and destroying the campsite trying to open them.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

krispykremessuck posted:

Sounds a bit heavy. Save a pound and get minimalist flip flops or foam rubber sandals or clogs.

AT is awesome. Just did Dragon's Tooth and my first 20 over McAfee's, am in Daleville. Spent the day in a rental car to take a 3 hour drive to the closest REI to return someone's pack and get new boots.

Elijya fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jun 16, 2013

snappo
Jun 18, 2006
Since flip flops and socks don't mix, sandals work much better for "around camp" footwear if it's at all chilly or buggy.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I need some Rocky Mountain NP suggestions. 4 days 3 nights in backcountry sites.

My friend and I backpacked through the wild basin area (WB trail head to Ouzel Lake) last year and it was a blast. This time, we're bringing another friend who has never been to CO but we don't want to do the exact same trail so we're looking for something new.

We will be on the trail Thursday morning to Sunday afternoon which will equal about 4 day sand 3 nights.

Since we will be coming from Chicago (sea level), we will be staying low for the first night at the very least and just plan to hike high and return low at night. I did start to feel the elevation with a little nausea, sleeplessness and loss of apetite the first night or two so I would like to take better precautions against it this time.

Any thoughts?

i_heart_ponies
Oct 16, 2005

because I love feces
All the backcountry sites require permits so while I can recommend a bunch of stuff, not knowing what sites will be actually available to you as a walk-up makes my recommendations moot. Check out stuff in the Glacier Gorge area, it's relatively easily accessible from the park entrance without too much driving, there are a ton of designated backcountry sites in the area and it puts you in striking distance of a lot of cool peaks on the divide (Flattop, Otis, Hallett. etc.) for high day hikes.

Also, it may be June, but there is still plenty of snow up there so be prepared. Also, currently active wildfires closed a bunch of stuff near Grand Lake so check out the conditions of the "Big Meadows Fire" before planning anything in that area. It was 75% contained as of yesterday (Sunday).

i_heart_ponies fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jun 18, 2013

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

I'm very excited by this so I have to share somewhere among those who would care, my backpacking base weight (minus food, bear can and water) is under 20 lbs! Very exciting to only have to carry maybeeeee a 30-35lb pack during the toughest stretch of the JMT next month :dance:

Chroisman
Mar 27, 2010
Does anyone use Arc'teryx jackets or can comment on them? They're so massively expensive compared to other brands that have similar looking (and functioning?) jackets I was just wondering how they justify charging up to $900 for a jacket. Is half the cost just the name, or are they actually super amazing?

taint toucher
Sep 23, 2004

Chroisman posted:

Does anyone use Arc'teryx jackets or can comment on them? They're so massively expensive compared to other brands that have similar looking (and functioning?) jackets I was just wondering how they justify charging up to $900 for a jacket. Is half the cost just the name, or are they actually super amazing?

They make great pieces but I don't personally feel that they are worth that huge of a markup. Get them on sale. I picked up an Arc'teryx rain shell for my wife from our local REI garage sale and it's a great shell for a fraction of the retail cost.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Action Jackson! posted:

They make great pieces but I don't personally feel that they are worth that huge of a markup. Get them on sale. I picked up an Arc'teryx rain shell for my wife from our local REI garage sale and it's a great shell for a fraction of the retail cost.

This, get them on sale if possible.

What you're paying for is the name, fit, aesthetic, but you're also paying for an amazing warranty/product guarantee. They're certainly not the only brand of outerwear manufacturers that has a great warranty but they are best of class performance outerwear makers. The stuff that is priced even more ridiculously is their LEAF product for military/law enforcement. That stuff is goofy expensive.

I love my Arc'Teryx hooded soft-shell, I'm wearing it today actually. It's a perfect piece for Oregon Spring/Fall weather and amazing for layering. I wear it snowboarding under a hardshell, I wear it out around town, I wear it hiking, backpacking, you name it. It's incredibly versatile because it's a clean design with a well-fitted silhouette. I'm not trying to say it's a substitute for a sport-coat for a fancy dinner out or whatever, but there is definitely something to be said for a well-performing piece of outerwear with minimal branding that makes it far more versatile than something with loud color blocking and more conspicuous logos.

For contrast, I have a ~$450 top-tier Mt. Hardwear hardshell snow jacket that I got for cheap, It works great as a snowboard jacket and is super rain repellant but the thing is much bulkier/heavier than it needs to be and the colors of it just make me want to leave it at home for anything short of a torrential downpour. It's a great technical piece but there's no versatility. If I could trade it in for an Arc'Teryx hardshell then I'd have something that would work equally as great for snowboarding but I also wouldn't be embarrassed to wear around town if rain was in the forecast.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Chroisman posted:

The $900 jackets are top-end skiing equipment. The jackets most people would need are the Beta AR or the Gamma SL Hybrid Hoody. And they are the best. I am in love with my Theta AR, and will be ordering (prodeal) that gamma with my next paycheck. The construction is just miles ahead of anyone else. The only people who come close are Mammut, and even then only on the top-end Eiger Collection.

Supposedly BD will have a line of clothes this winter that's meant to compete with the low-end Arc'teryx stuff.

https://www.bentgate.com/all-products/browse/brand/arcteryx/sale/yes

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jun 18, 2013

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I have a Beta AR and it balls out of control

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Has anyone ever backpacked Acadia national park? Is it good backpackin'? Crowded? Any recommendations for a 2-4 day hike?

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

Speleothing posted:

The construction is just miles ahead of anyone else.

This. The thought they put behind design, fabric make up, and construction is what you're really paying for.

I wear an Atom SV pretty much daily, however once summer comes in force, I'll have to closet it for the season. Get one on sale, as others have said.

i_heart_ponies
Oct 16, 2005

because I love feces
I really like Arc'teryx stuff, but they used to be much much more worth it when they still made their stuff in Canada. They moved their production to China around 2009 and their quality did take a hit, at least in their finishing details (you never used to see adhesive over-runs on seam tape and the like). I've been working in the outdoor apparel & footwear market for much too long though, so I'm a nerd about that stuff. Their climbing harnesses are still tits though. I'm kind of sad I got too skinny to use my R320a and I'm back to a climbing in a BD Momentum.

Also, you'll notice that they are one of the last remaining manufacturers to still use real Gore-Tex instead of using an in-house ePTFE membrane. Doing anything with W.L. Gore and Associates costs a pretty penny in R&D and manufacturing because you have to license the Gore-Tex name, buy all your materials from WL Gore & Assoc., make pre-release samples to have signed off by QC at WL Gore & Assoc. (who also warranty your purchase to be waterproof), etc... Take a look at the Patagonia Super Alpine Jacket, which is on par with an Arc'teryx Theta SV. It MSRPs at $599 compared to "only" $550 for the comparable Arc'teryx piece.

So is it worth it? For the right people, definitely. I would say that most people who are dropping that kind of coin at REI on an Arc'teryx piece are doing it because it looks cool (aw man that skeleton bird is siiiiiiiiiiiiiick) and they figure that it's the "best" because it costs so much - even though they will never use it to it's full potential. Much like most BMW M-Series you end up seeing are doing 30MPH in rush hour just like the guy in the clapped out 1992 Accord in the next lane.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
I hike and climb in the Olympic National Forest twice a week. It's pretty rainy. If you have the clams to drop on Arc'teryx then I'd say in a really wet environment it's probably totally worth it. On average though the REI shells or Marmot stuff will be suitable for most use-cases, they just won't last as long. If you're hiking in normally arid areas your rain shell doesn't need to be top of the line, probably. Gear is kind of subjective and individual taste, but basically what i__heart_ponies said.

I'm having a bad gear year. Prepping for a climb I found my multi-day pack had a hole in the bottom of it. I picked up a Gregory Baltoro 75. I tried out the Black Diamond packs too. With 40lbs the Black Diamonds felt weightless. Some kind of voodoo with their suspension.

The new Gregory feels really good, though. I didn't go with Black Diamond due to price and the fact that it only had one tool loop...? :wtc:

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

I bought this Platypus 3L Bladdder for my trip this weekend and I just tested it. I filled it with water, plugged the hose in....and leakage. Am I doing something wrong? :wtc: Or is this a defective bladder? So many reviews and discussions praising this bag so I'm inclined to believe I hosed up...but...maybe not?

Here is a video of the leaking problem : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KV6ewGSBF-s

Edit - Emailed Platypus about this. I guess I'll also drop by REI tomorrow to buy a new bag :smith:

Dr. Video Games 0089 fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jun 19, 2013

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
It looks like you're missing a black o ring on the male connector.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
It should just snap and work, I have one. No need to gently caress with it.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

I agree with Verman. Check the packaging to see if the o-ring fell off. Otherwise, take it back to REI and get a replacement with an o-ring.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

This looks like the O ring you are missing.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
If you can figure out what size you need, that sort of o-ring should cost about 25 cents at an hardware store.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I have a similar platypus system and a set of calipers. I can go home and measure it and give you the specs. Platypus should also be able to answer that question if you give them a call.

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

Thanks guys! I just went to REI and exchanged it.

I'm looking at the o-ring on my new hose and the ring is extremely tight on the connector. There is no way I can take it off unless I used pliers to pry it off and even then I would probably damage it. I guess the one I got was just missing the ring for whatever reason :iiam:

Anathema Device
Dec 22, 2009

by Ion Helmet
Has anyone here posted a fitness log with a hiking toxx? How would I go about formulating a goal? I'm thinking it would be x miles OR x feet of elevation gain, with proof being an identifiable picture from the endpoint of the hike. Does that sound reasonable?

I'm totally out of shape, but I try to get out and hike a few times a week. At the beginning of last year I was ~100 lbs over my goal weight. Doing short hikes several times a week last summer, I lost about 45 lbs. After a really lazy winter, I'm struggling to get back into hiking. Pushing myself today I did about 1.25 miles with minimal elevation gain on a fairly rough trail. I'm trying to figure out what a reasonable, but challenging, goal would be for the next two months.

I feel silly posting about my really short hikes when you all do such amazing stuff, but I have to start somewhere, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

There's nothing wrong with doing short hikes. Hiking isn't a competition. It's just about getting out and having a good time.

Last weekend I did two hikes, each about four miles long and on pretty flat ground. I had fun, and that's what counts!