Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Disregard, misread things.

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jun 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klingtron
Sep 10, 2011
Well obviously I'm voting A to not get eaten hopefully. I really didn't think anything would happen with our little lightning ritual like at best nothing would happen and we'd get saved by one of the guys coming towards us.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

Diogines posted:

There is not a single story in everything you have learned your entire life, of Asherah ever helping anyone.

Asherah does not help you. He punishes you if you disobey, as Shushem taught you and as everyone in the village knows.

Some of his children, the Great Fish, do indeed help and can be asked for help. Asherah never does.

Yeah, got that, I don't think there's any reason Og would ask Asherah for help, what I'm asking is if there are stories of Asherah's children intervening on people's behalf, in the face of Asherah's hunger. Og thinks Asherah's going to eat him; if he knows stories about the minor Gods sparing people from Asherah's hunger, protecting them from storms he's sent, calming their father's wrath, then I imagine he might be prone to turn to them. If, on the other hands, all the stories back up the idea that once Asherah's pissed at you, you're hosed, then he'd probably start looking elsewhere.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

For the non IRC people:
code:
22:56	ADPmobile	We were kidnapped
22:56	Diog	You were rescued.
22:56	XOXO	We were absolutely kidnapped
22:56	Diog	You were not kidnapped.
22:56	wibblewobble	we're an eleven year old kid
22:56	DCBomB	We were p much kidnapped
22:56	GoneWithTheTornado	I have to admit it, i expected a lot more mundane happenings with the tooth option. I thought we would cut ourselves,
the soldiers would deal with the lizards without bigger problems, and Tudiya would be like "What the gently caress are you doing,
why are you trying the ritual the demon cult priest preformed?, and then get exiled.
22:56	ADPmobile	We didn't vote go with the strangerS
22:56	DCBomB	Jalitha was rescued
22:56	DCBomB	Dad didn't want us to go
22:56	Diog	You were rescued from a society which shunned you and treated you poorly and a "father" who beat you on a regular basis.
22:56	PandaPropaganda	yes we did vote to go with them
22:56	Raserys	we didn't actually
22:56	DCBomB	Not saying we weren't also rescued
22:56	DCBomB	but we were kidnapped
22:56	Raserys	or at least not when we did
22:57	HiHoChiRho	Diog: you obviously don't know anything about this CYOA
22:57	DCBomB	heh
22:57	Diog	lol hiho
22:57	Diog	clearly
22:57	Grognan	the CYOA isn't fail
22:57	HiHoChiRho	he was beating us because he loved us
I mean COME ON:

code:
22:59	Diog	The fact that A is finally beating B by a majority is making me feel a little better
22:59	mood	theres noting objectively wrong with cannibalism.
22:59	randompaul	I stand corrected
22:59	mood	thats our culture, man.
22:59	FoxT	It is disappointing our chance to play as a tribal character went a direction with these kinds of undertones. 
22:59	Siege	thank god we all collectively voted to become cannibals
22:59	mood	FoxT: yeah i agree
22:59	Schizotek	moral relativism is why I can't stand my philosophy classes.
23:00	Diog	Look.  I understand that you are invested in Asherah and the village, 
but its increasingly obvious that Asherah is Not Nice and that the village are cannibals.  It has been spelled out.  
And your "father" is an rear end in a top hat.  I understand that some of you are invested in a different Asherah.  
The one you imagine, does not exist.  A few peopel are also angry that..
23:00	Diog	...their view lost and thus are taking any option they can to "resist"

HiHo ChiRho fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jun 14, 2013

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Asherah is just inviting us to dinner.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Theglavwen posted:

Yeah, got that, I don't think there's any reason Og would ask Asherah for help, what I'm asking is if there are stories of Asherah's children intervening on people's behalf, in the face of Asherah's hunger. Og thinks Asherah's going to eat him; if he knows stories about the minor Gods sparing people from Asherah's hunger, protecting them from storms he's sent, calming their father's wrath, then I imagine he might be prone to turn to them. If, on the other hands, all the stories back up the idea that once Asherah's pissed at you, you're hosed, then he'd probably start looking elsewhere.

Actually, it's been really clear Enkidel associates saving people and heroism with El and his sky giants way more than Asherah and his children (seriously, that's like the number one thing he took away from those stories, and we've been playing hero every night). And why would he suddenly cry out to an underling of Asherah to be saved from Asherah? He'd go to the beings he has heard way more heroic stories about, IMO, rather than those he only heard some about.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

SerSpook posted:

I second trying to drop the tooth. This is not going well for us.

And pray to be delivered from demons and monsters.

Fish lasers have failed us! Save us, El!

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Ego Trip posted:

Fish lasers have failed us! Save us, El!

This is a message I can get behind!

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.

Theglavwen posted:

In any of the Asherahn stories we know, do the children of Asherah ever intervene to protect our people? Are there stories of the minor gods serving as intermediaries, or countering their father, saving people from the storms or fish-droughts that accompany his anger? Are we ever taught to ask the minor gods for help?

According to the village priest, Asherah does not shy away from eating his own children. I highly doubt his offspring -- should they actually exist -- are willing to go even anywhere near Asherah, let alone defy his will.

If you're going to pray, pray to El. I doubt there is anyone else who stands a chance against Fish Demon.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

SerSpook posted:

And why would he suddenly cry out to an underling of Asherah to be saved from Asherah?

Because it's what he's grown up with. Maybe. Which is why I'm asking about the backstory. Og's heard a lot about the angels and heroes and protecting and saving people, so it's likely to come up. I just don't think it's as likely to come up as the proverbs he's had drilled into his head, fanatically, and learned to recite with exacting precision, about Asherah and his children, particularly given how immediately on his mind Asherah is. If stories exist about Asherah's children providing haven and help in the face of Asherah's endless hunger, then it would be a reasonable thing for his mind to snap automatically to. If not, then yeah, El would be the first thing to mind.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Theglavwen posted:

Asherah's children can and indeed do help people in various ways in their life, mostly related to their powers and those portions of the world and life they control. Some are not very nice and seem to just be hungry like Asherah. Others are nice. Ninveh, the Gentle Mother, mother of whales, was your uncle Jorah's favorite. Your people believe being sprayed by a whale is good luck and believe it very wrong to try to hurt one.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jun 14, 2013

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Theglavwen posted:

Because it's what he's grown up with. Maybe. Which is why I'm asking about the backstory. Og's heard a lot about the angels and heroes and protecting and saving people, so it's likely to come up. I just don't think it's as likely to come up as the proverbs he's had drilled into his head, fanatically, and learned to recite with exacting precision, about Asherah and his children, particularly given how immediately on his mind Asherah is. If stories exist about Asherah's children providing haven and help in the face of Asherah's endless hunger, then it would be a reasonable thing for his mind to snap automatically to. If not, then yeah, El would be the first thing to mind.

We did what we did with plans to pray to El and believing in El though, I just don't think we had a chance to do that because the tooth thing happened first. And we grew up with El drat near as much as we did Asherah, believing in them both since we were a small child. We associated heroism with El, not Asherah.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Honestly now is the best time to shoot lightning. We've got a good height and can blast the lizards pretty hard.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Look, I originally voted to keep Ash in the picture because I wanted to keep our options open and to reflect that we are probably going to be conflicted about things. I really regret that because we keep getting more and more signs Ash is bad news and that it will kill us and it seems way too many don't want to see it.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

My votes pretty much to take his mind off devouring us by going "Hey look at those regenerating lizard things, they'd be way nicer....if only I could kill them for you...."

Diogines, did we ever get sprayed by a whale?

Cause if we did, and we're still flying, my next vote will be to pray to Ninveh for succour.

vvvvv or maybe not :v:

alpaca diseases fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jun 14, 2013

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

SerSpook posted:

We did what we did with plans to pray to El and believing in El though, I just don't think we had a chance to do that because the tooth thing happened first. And we grew up with El drat near as much as we did Asherah, believing in them both since we were a small child. We associated heroism with El, not Asherah.

Good points, aye, and so far it seems that although we have stories about benevolent children, like the whale mother, helping and blessing, I'm not hearing anything about the minor gods effectively keeping Asherah at bay, or otherwise standing up to/intervening with their father.

This too:

Zybourne Clock posted:

According to the village priest, Asherah does not shy away from eating his own children. I highly doubt his offspring -- should they actually exist -- are willing to go even anywhere near Asherah, let alone defy his will.

is something I expected might come up, that far from acting against Asherah, his children get the hell out of his way, or risk being eaten as well. So yeah, I'll switch the vote around. We're scared, and crying out to the only thing that we've learned of as possibly able to save us, or intervene on a level with Asherah.

AKNope, sorry.

Theglavwen fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jun 14, 2013

baby picture
Aug 7, 2004

I wish I could press a button and a rope would instantly tie around my ankle and I would be hung out of the highest window of the highest skyscraper in the world

Tudhalias posted:

1. A
2. K "El, save us from the monsters!"

Yeah, let's keep it simple. Voting A,K

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

You know, I said that we wanted to be high to blast with the lightning. This isn't exactly what I had in mind, but we'll take it. Time for some Sith action!

B Lightning!

C Fueled by emotional screaming!

N Call for help from the beings who DO help...the Big Fish!

cxp
Mar 27, 2010
Fun Shoe

SerSpook posted:

I second trying to drop the tooth. This is not going well for us.

And pray to be delivered from demons and monsters.

Voting for this, I don't think we can say much more.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008
The new impression of Asherah that I'm gathering from all this is that he is a cosmic Dopefish- he doesn't grant prayers because he's not listening, or maybe even thinking as we know it, he's just out there hungering. I may still have this wrong, since we've heard of Asherah punishing those who disobey him, which implies a conscious desire to guide people according to his designs. However, that could be just a human anthropomorphism applied to a being that's simply roused to action when it's not getting enough food.

Asherah seems more like a force of nature that can be channeled as a tool if one knows how. Shushem did, we do not. With that in mind:

Voting !

I think we're too shocked, and busy, to scream.

SerSpook posted:

These are good points. Voting

Might as well yell to them by name.

rex monday
Jul 9, 2001

Pisk. Pisk. Piiiiiiisk!

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

1-A, 2-K

We tried to shoot lightning, and it failed; now Asherah is swallowing us up! We're sorry, El!

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
A

and also voting for Smattass and Marnal come save us! Holy poo poo we are WAY over our heads! Because only the Angels of Asskicking can help us now.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
My votes: A and E Changed in later post to B & N.

Seems like the correct reaction.

Also, one of the biggest reasons I have voted to stick around in the village or with Asherah is that I wanted to play as priest in a fishing village. If I wanted to be some lame city slicker, I would have picked that in the first vote. Oh well. Praise El it is. Asherah never did jack for anybody (other than eating them).

edit: vote change made in later post.

Deadly Ham Sandwich fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jun 14, 2013

Callipygian Weasel
Apr 2, 2010

by Lowtax

Deadmeat5150 posted:

A

and also voting for Smattass and Marnal come save us! Holy poo poo we are WAY over our heads! Because only the Angels of Asskicking can help us now.

This works

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

Zybourne Clock posted:

I'm going to interpret our decision to cut our palm with the shark tooth as a panic reaction; we were scared, didn't know what to do, and ended up making a terrible decision by accident.

1. A, C, D. If possible, chuck the tooth at the demons below.
2. K. "Great and benevolent El, please forgive my momentary lapse of judgment. I was scared and acted without thinking. Please don't let the fish demon eat me".

Voting for this. We should definitely beg El for forgiveness at this point. I'm sure we'll be able to do some sort of penance and regain his favor, assuming we don't die. Hopefully, none of our loved ones ends up dead before (if) that happens, though :ohdear:

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe
Question 1:

Voting C and/or D in addition to A.

Question 2:

We are a child raised to believe in a cannibal God that devours our worshippers and encourages us to kill and eat our weak. Our God granted "father" the ability to shoot lightning and has lifted us into the air. El is a God with many children of whom Tudiya is a distant relative. We have seen him resist Ashera's lightning and tear off a dragon's leg. Both Gods must be real. One my be stronger than the other. One may be a demon. Maybe they're both demons? Maybe our father was a sorceror or a demon? Maybe Tudiya is a sorceror!? Maybe Danal is AsheraaaaAAAA!!!

Voting Q: Speak/scream to El "I don't know what to believe!!"

*edit* Disregard this vote.

A Terrible Person fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jun 14, 2013

GloriousDemon
May 1, 2009
We gambled and used the power wrong, the only reason our "father" wasn't devoured was because he was useful to Asherah and constantly making tribute to him. We on the other hand are fresh meat untainted by cannibalism and we just gave the fish god a taste.

Maybe we could have made tribute of the lizards by stabbing them with the tooth, or maybe all the monsters of the forest were charging US to steal it's power.

Maybe there is an off shot chance he's calling us to him because he needs a new priest, did our father say something about meeting with or hearing Asherah once? More likely though we screwed something up and are being pulled into his gaping hell mouth.

As a necromancer sympathiser and a Horus sacrificer from last game, I'd feel guilty of any decision that has a chance to end another game, so I'm not gonna vote just suggest nicely to all the fellow Fish God lovers out there to let him go, we didn't utilize his power perfectly... it backfired... it's over.... He's gone. R.I.P. Asherah 2013. Go be a hungering abomination without us.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Really you guys?

A + K

Skanky Burns
Jan 9, 2009

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
C, B & E
Screaming will sort this situation out.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

A/B? L: Not so much "We're awesome, summon lightning", more, try and redirect the hunger at those big, tasty, lizards. Look fishy, big lizards for you to chow down on! Bet you've never tasted lizard before! We're not trying to get you to save us, we're just trying to give you a meal! If you eat us, one small meal and channel closed, eat lizards, lots of meals and more to come! Basically, try and redirect the hunger away from us. Screaming and pissing ourselves optional.

Maybe try and throw the tooth at the lizards in the process, if it touches them, he'll start chowing down on them instead of us!

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jun 14, 2013

BoyG
Nov 24, 2004

Have you heard the tale of the Cannibal King of Kavodel?
It's a shame that Asherah is such an rear end in a top hat, I really wanted to like him :(

I guess we're stuck with El, which I suppose was where our path was always going to lead.

Anyhoo, A, C, D, K

EDIT: Actually could I add that while we scream and piss that we also start crying too?

BoyG fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Jun 14, 2013

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Oh god oh god oh god. I know I've not voted before, but I'm way too invested in this now not to.

A, C, K.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

maxhush posted:

I'm under no impression that at all that Asherah is benevolent at all, I just want to do something other than being Els most loyal sycophant. All of a sudden forgetting we, as a character, believe in both Gods (therefore would want to appease both)
I'm not an El worshiper and I've repeatedly had to drop not votes because the Asherah votes are just obviously suicidal.

I mean I voted to hold the gate for quite a while last game, but I didn't ever delude myself into thinking it meant we could effectively oppose IAM by doing so.

There are god(s), angels and demons in this game, but even when choosing to rp a mortal, that doesn't mean we necessarily have to align with any of them without a good reason. We've been promised an interesting perspective, I'm much more inclined to be patient and see some more of the world before we decide (as an eleven year old) to be any sort of religious fanatic.

Anyways, A (which also happens to be not-B, finally a binary vote where people hopefully won't complain about how I'm the one ruining their game).

Algid fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jun 14, 2013

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

FoxTerrier posted:

Unless there's something I missed, I assumed as such an important figure in El stories that he was some kind of saint figure.

I'll go re-read that section though, maybe I missed something.
Spoilers from ancient Akkadian literature: he dead, he real dead.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

BoyG posted:

It's a shame that Asherah is such an rear end in a top hat, I really wanted to like him :(

I guess we're stuck with El, which I suppose was where our path was always going to lead.

I absolutely promise there was no guarantee it was going to lead that way. The game has been a series of decisions, the ones you took, went this way. Heck, who says you need El to save you now? Well, it might be a good idea, or not. Expecting help from Asherah? Well...

BoyG posted:

EDIT: Actually could I add that while we scream and piss that we also start crying too?

Certainly.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jun 14, 2013

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Diogines, does the mention of Lucifer in the OP mean that a creature like that definitely exists in game, or was it meant to just outline expectations for what that vote will do?

I mean, people complaining that we've somehow been forced into El worship seem to literally have no imagination. If you really need some sort of demon worship fix, I'm sure there are cooler demons out there than cannibal fish.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Algid posted:

Diogines, does the mention of Lucifer in the OP mean that a creature like that definitely exists in game, or was it meant to just outline expectations for what that vote will do?

I mean, people complaining that we've somehow been forced into El worship seem to literally have no imagination. If you really need some sort of demon worship fix, I'm sure there are cooler demons out there than cannibal fish.

I said you were not "Lucifer". I did not say that "Lucifer" existed, since there was some speculation on IRC that Option A for the first vote might be "The Adversary" or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

I am sorry, I skipped over Theglavwe's questions.

Yes, your village has stories of the Great Fish saving people from Asherah, mostly by hiding them or helping them run, though the Great Lobster Father, Smis, has actually fought to protect people from Asherah if they were deserving. Asherah ate his claws instead. They grew back.