Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
I got a 5:14 in Rom Check Fail which is probably the worst game of all time. I think this might be WR. nevermind, someone has a 3:21.

heehee fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jun 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

heeheex2 posted:

I got a 5:14 in Rom Check Fail which is probably the worst game of all time. I think this might be WR. nevermind, someone has a 3:21.

Let me try to explain this a little.

The very first roll when you start the game actually only picks from a certain group of combinations, instead of being a truely random selection of every possibility. Then if were playing and got a game over, the next round starts with whatever pattern you had when you died. Because of this, "the community" (literally me and one other guy do times, we have a couple others who race us), split the game up into two major category groups. Lacking better ways to describe them, starting the program fresh between each attempt is called "New Game" and purposfully game overing so you can start again with the fast pattern is called "new game plus."

This is the time you were really competing with, doesn't use RNG "manipulation" to achieve a better time, got 3:50

This is my run of 2x. Once you beat level 20 the game starts over again, but faster. I don't have a recording of me beating 3x, and once you reach 4x the collision starts failing really hard and it can become impossible to continue.

This is that 3:21 you mentioned, Defender+Ghosts(gauntlet) is by far the best combination for speed, and I should actually be able to get much further into the game beating every level before it changes, cutting significant time from this record.

Really though keeping track of anything other than NG+ times is a bit silly, but racing to 2x is a ton of fun, as long as you can laugh at poo poo RNG knowing everyone else is getting poo poo on.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Recently I went back into working on T2 GB and got two PBs in two days, an 8:04 and an 8:02 just this morning.

I'm gonna be streaming both runs in a bit to analyze them.

http://www.twitch.tv/iastsa

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

PJ, Feasel, Duckfist and Mecha_Richter are starting off their Fab Four marathon to get money for SGDQ, starting with Feasel playing Willow.

http://www.twitch.tv/pjdicesare

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001

iastudent posted:

PJ, Feasel, Duckfist and Mecha_Richter are starting off their Fab Four marathon to get money for SGDQ, starting with Feasel playing Willow.

Oh awesome, that's a good lineup!

duckfist
May 27, 2006

buster science

iastudent posted:

Thanks for posting this!

Here's the schedule
Check out the other tabs on that spreadsheet for the donation totals on each of the incentives we have.

Here's where you can donate
To leave a donation comment for us to read: Click the "Add" button next to "Note to seller". This is found under your shipping address after logging in. If you forget to leave a comment, you can let us know via PM (to PJ's twitch account) or email (the gmail account "tssb.triblade") with your name and intended comment and we'll take care of the rest. Make sure you leave a comment and let us know which of the incentives you want to apply it to!

Prizes you can win by donating (made by Mecha Richter)
SGDQ is "Summer Games Done Quick", which is an annual summer speedrunning marathon hosted by Speed Demos Archive. This year, they're raising money for Doctors Without Borders. Helping us get there indirectly helps raise money for that cause, since we are each playing several games at the event as well.

The 4 of us are sharing a hotel room, so this will, at the very least, help pay for that, and if people are generous enough, even cover some of our flight expenses.

The marathon started a little over a half hour ago, and will continue for the next 36 hours! Thank you for your support.

:munch:

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Duckfist is just finishing up MMX 100% on his block and they're already within $400 of their goal, with yet another day to go. :psyduck:

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

iastudent posted:

Duckfist is just finishing up MMX 100% on his block and they're already within $400 of their goal, with yet another day to go. :psyduck:

I see a lot of steak and lobster dinners in their future.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Feasel is nearing the tail end of Zelda 2, then it'll be Duckfist with Ninja Gaiden races and classic Mega Man runs, including Rockman 4 Minus Infinity. :getin:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

If anyone is interested in seeing someone relatively new to speedrunning practice a game that hasn't been run much yet, I'm live practicing Rogue Squadron right now @ http://www.twitch.tv/cannotfindserver

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
A new clip was found for Ocarina of Time any%. You can watch two streamers running the slightly tweaked new route here:
http://multitwitch.tv/theMakaron/nedeahS

Right now they're both at nearly the same spot, so it's kind of like an unofficial race.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp
The Sunday Sequence Break is starting up in a few. This week is Rosenkreuzstilette/Rosenkreuzstilette Freudenstachel with bjw and Hagspam.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Funkdoc and Withhelde are finally back on, showing how to play Power Grid.

dj_de
Jul 24, 2003

Huhhhhh?
http://www.twitch.tv/zfg1

Apparently a consistent method for the Castle Escape skip has been found

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

dj_de posted:

http://www.twitch.tv/zfg1

Apparently a consistent method for the Castle Escape skip has been found

With that CE skip and the new Gohma clip, OoT continues to surprise me.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness

Gamma Nerd posted:

With that CE skip and the new Gohma clip, OoT continues to surprise me.

Any video for these?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Sockfolder has a video of the new Castle Escape setup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLm0mCEpzng

I can't find anything on the new Gohma Clip. I don't think it can be used yet; it's still just theoretical.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Suspicious Dish posted:

I can't find anything on the new Gohma Clip. I don't think it can be used yet; it's still just theoretical.

Does that rely on you being an adult, or can you use it for any%?

testsubject
Apr 18, 2006
You need bombs for that setup. You can do the skip as child link but its apparently much harder and I don't think there's any consistent setup for it yet.

Gohma clip is done in this video http://zeldaspeedruns.com/speedruns/3694 (about 12:30) where theMakaron ties pydoyks's any% run. He does it unbuffered too which is pretty impressive imo.

The Laplace Demon
Jul 23, 2009

"Oh dear! Oh dear! Heisenberg is a douche!"
And here's sockfolder's fast setup for it: http://en.twitch.tv/sockfolder/c/2427709

Don't know if this trick will actually get incorporated into any runs, considering it's not any faster and adds a bit of RNG due to Gohma's movements.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

Suspicious Dish posted:

I have to assume somebody's made the "OOT? More like OOB!" joke before.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Quite often, yes.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Everyone's favorite goon who plays glover fast as hell, heeheex2, just beat his WR in a race by less than a second. I imagine he plans on timing it a little closer to make sure its a faster run, but I also assume he wants to beat it legit, seeing as he lost something like 40 seconds over the run.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
gently caress retiming it http://www.twitch.tv/heeheex2/c/2446769

edit: ok yea it was more like 0.5 seconds

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Cosmo is about to do the most difficult (IIRC) superswim in the run, but he's currently ahead by 2:12 at Bombs with some mistakes made along the way.

Sub-1:20 Bombs is ridiculous.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

So I'm watching Cosmo right now and it's the first time I've actually sat down to watch one of his runs, save for the marathon a few months back, and I'm really enjoying it. So I'm wondering: are there any past runs in particular of his that anyone feels are worth going back to watch?

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

On the 29th of July, me and four other guys are gathering to stream practice runs of most of the things we're going to run at ESA.

A schedule is here, though Jinny said there's a possibility he'll be out of town that day so it's with reservation for adjustments.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Fawf posted:

So I'm watching Cosmo right now and it's the first time I've actually sat down to watch one of his runs, save for the marathon a few months back, and I'm really enjoying it. So I'm wondering: are there any past runs in particular of his that anyone feels are worth going back to watch?

Catch his super-abusive run of Ocarina of Time from AGDQ 2013, wherein he explains frame-perfect tricks in the middle of pulling them off, then all of a sudden just says "...so Ganondorf's dead now."

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

mp5 posted:

Catch his super-abusive run of Ocarina of Time from AGDQ 2013, wherein he explains frame-perfect tricks in the middle of pulling them off, then all of a sudden just says "...so Ganondorf's dead now."

Here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M7IINwTFVw

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
That was amazing- I really wish more streamers could explain their games that effectively while playing. It's fascinating to listen to and incredibly impressive when he just casually mentions "Oh yeah, so this is a frame perfect trick and I have to hit it with the C-Stick. Anyways..."

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.
It's kind of tricky to decide when to commentate over the actual game if you're streaming attempts. Do you explain everything, every time? Do it once per session? Only once? The OoT run is at a marathon, so a majority of people watching are unfamiliar and it's a good time to explain as much as you can. Wind Waker is really long, and has a lot of cutscenes, so it makes sense to bring up some of the big points during the run ("now here's a really tricky superswim that requires blah blah and saves 50 seconds"). A lot of games don't have that.

There's also the fact that most speedrunners play for their own sake; the main purpose isn't to entertain viewers. For a lot of speedrunners, it comes down to what makes them play best, and trying to constantly talk to the viewers who haven't seen their run before (even though they stream it very often) isn't high on the priority list.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Ufouria just got more broken. The jump I do in that video, recorded from console, was previously thought to be TAS-only.

I love it and hate it at the same time because calling it the single most ridiculously precise trick in the game is kind of an understatement. I managed it on emulator twice after a ton of tries, then switched to console, got it once after a ton of tries, then started recording and recorded for 50 minutes before getting it the one time in that video.

This pretty significantly changes the routes for both any% and 100%. I just hope that I can find a way to get it consistently... the light switch skip I found a visual cue for, but finding a sweet spot for this currently looks like a bit of a pipe dream. Aglar, who's doing a new TAS of this game incorporating the light switch skip, was the one who put me on the road of doing it on console, but I ended up not using the method he suggested, since it involved not one but two frame-perfect jumps in succession...

Is there a word for something you think is absolutely amazing in every possible way but at the same time wish had never come to exist?

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
"gently caress that"

Pretty sure that's how mike89 feels about the Metro 3 skip, given how much he's been banging on Sonic 2 lately.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

abahbob uploaded his Wind Waker TAS unfinished. It's unfortunate he lost motivation because of the super-swims, because everything he had finished looked incredible. Hopefully someone will finish the project because that would be a fantastic TAS to watch.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Maybe I'm ADD but I wish Zelda runners would start putting cutscene skip annotations or even trim cutscenes out of their videos. It's not until like 5:45 that the game really starts.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Duckfist is doing a birthday stream where he plays through a bunch of Mega Man romhacks and rates them on a scale of Doesn't Work to Minus Infinity: http://www.twitch.tv/duckfist

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Duckfist is doing a birthday stream where he plays through a bunch of Mega Man romhacks and rates them on a scale of Doesn't Work to Minus Infinity: http://www.twitch.tv/duckfist

And here's a thing that happened in one hack named MegaFag

:nws: this just in case

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Pfft, Vagina Man and Pussy Man is just being redundant.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Keyboard Kid posted:

It's kind of tricky to decide when to commentate over the actual game if you're streaming attempts. Do you explain everything, every time? Do it once per session? Only once? The OoT run is at a marathon, so a majority of people watching are unfamiliar and it's a good time to explain as much as you can. Wind Waker is really long, and has a lot of cutscenes, so it makes sense to bring up some of the big points during the run ("now here's a really tricky superswim that requires blah blah and saves 50 seconds"). A lot of games don't have that.

There's also the fact that most speedrunners play for their own sake; the main purpose isn't to entertain viewers. For a lot of speedrunners, it comes down to what makes them play best, and trying to constantly talk to the viewers who haven't seen their run before (even though they stream it very often) isn't high on the priority list.

I've pretty much only watched videos from ADGQ as far as speedruns go, but I really liked the sort of co-commentator effect from the other people on the couch with the runner. Even if the runner is concentrating, or just isn't a great public speaker, there's somebody to keep the audience in the loop at all times. I really enjoyed the Metroid Prime 1/2 videos because the commentary is what really keeps it interesting as opposed to just looking up someone's runs and watching that. Similarly, the Mario 64 has a pretty much silent runner but since there's a crowd you're still getting what you need to know.

But outside of a marathon like that, I can't imagine someone doing commentary. I mean, if you're streaming the same stuff you've done time and time again, I don't think you'd want to have to explain it every time too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I'm pretty much in the same boat. I enjoy watching speed runs on twitch, but its usually as background while I do something else, or while I am trying to sleep. The AGDQ, and other marathons however become a primary source of entertainment. I watched AGDQ for pretty much every hour that I was not working. The commentary is what really does it for me. I understand why the everyday streams don't have that level of commentary, but I am grateful that the marathons do.

• Locked thread