Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Strudel Man posted:

See, this is seriously just stupid.

I actually balanced them too, +8 to dodge is fuuuuucked.

Let's not derail the thread to talk about furries. I personally find it out of character for the game to have all these weird animal transformation mutations and will probably get around to changing the entire system one of these days.

edit: What if I removed mutations all together and added in Cyborg limb replacement (think a more extreme versions of the cybernetics in the game now) to replace the mutation system. Probably just an expansion to the CBA system already in the game.

Calipark fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jun 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Fur as a mutation isn't stupid when you've got temperature as a serious survival consideration thingamejig, and those were in long before the DDA team took over.

+8 to dodge is loving stupid, however, and it is a drat good thing you toned that down.

Doctor Doodler
Feb 14, 2012

Jon93 posted:

I actually balanced them too, +8 to dodge is fuuuuucked.

Let's not derail the thread to talk about furries. I personally find it out of character for the game to have all these weird animal transformation mutations and will probably get around to changing the entire system one of these days.

edit: What if I removed mutations all together and added in Cyborg limb replacement (think a more extreme versions of the cybernetics in the game now) to replace the mutation system. Probably just an expansion to the CBA system already in the game.

I'd still like mutations. I find it more fun to chug some mutagen and hope for the best than find a specific thing then hope you install it right.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Jon93 posted:

That sounds pretty bad. Mutations make for an interesting game system. They could stand to be less random (which I guess is going on already), and maybe there could be something in place to make it so you have to make more of a choice between cybernetics and mutations, but otherwise, I don't know why you'd really want to strip the system out, since it offers a lot more potential than cyborg limbs.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Strudel Man posted:

That sounds pretty bad. Mutations make for an interesting game system. They could stand to be less random (which I guess is going on already), and maybe there could be something in place to make it so you have to make more of a choice between cybernetics and mutations, but otherwise, I don't know why you'd really want to strip the system out, since it offers a lot more potential than cyborg limbs.

Just a proposed change, nothing I'm think too seriously about. I'd like to have a fun system to change up gameplay but without the spirit animal transformations.

Mutations allow the player to "roll the die" if the stumble upon them, I still want to support that sort of risk taking, just not sure how.

Twenty Drunk Apes
Jun 17, 2012

The mane you say? Please note that this is a pity avatar because even bronies feel sorry for this poster so :effort:.

Jon93 posted:

Don't wear that suit in GDA unless you want a serious case of the GBS.

What is the GBS in your mod? I'm guessing it's a new disease that makes you explode or something, or is it more fun than that?

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Twenty Drunk Apes posted:

What is the GBS in your mod? I'm guessing it's a new disease that makes you explode or something, or is it more fun than that?

It's a secret, and also not in the game. Looks like it got overwritten in a merge I overlooked, WHOOPS.

It'll be in the next build.

Twenty Drunk Apes
Jun 17, 2012

The mane you say? Please note that this is a pity avatar because even bronies feel sorry for this poster so :effort:.

Jon93 posted:

It's a secret, and also not in the game. Looks like it got overwritten in a merge I overlooked, WHOOPS.

It'll be in the next build.

Well looks like I'd better go find that wolf suit then. :v:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Ya'll can be inferior meat if you want, my character is slowly transforming into a tree.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

I'm trying to see how many movie monsters I can be. So far I've been the Wolfman, The Blob and Mini-Godzilla, as well as being (very nearly) Robocop mixed with Megaman.

Think I might try and be Treebeard next.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
I actually really like the idea of 'targeted' mutagens. It makes sense in the same way that having CBMs only have one bionic rather than a group makes sense, while keeping the inherent chaos of mutation.

Oh, and what the gently caress does the hand cannon CBM fire, that it bounces off of insect chitin?

Some more mutations, categories, and bionics would be a glorious thing. Skull Guns for everyone!

E: Oh, and seeing the Crawl thread reminded me of something else: what about a starting 'profession' that randomly chooses one of the mutation categories, and randomly gives you mutations over the game, biased toward the category it chose (thinking of Crawl's Demonspawn here). Maybe have it preclude most traits as a balance (except possibly Robust Genetics, and Android or other traits that don't affect mutations?)

On that thought, seems like Android would make more sense as a profession, maybe. I dunno, just spitballing, I'm gonna go to sleep now :v:

Lprsti99 fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jun 14, 2013

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Maybe I'll add a slide-in shades bionic and I can be Adam Jensen.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
Just got through the tutorial and my first death in this game. All I can say is "Wow, this game is great fun." My first character stumbled upon a bunch of dead scientists in front of a church. So I take their gas mask, USBs, an ID card, and a screwdriver. With my new, handy-dandy, screwdriver, I voyage into the church, only to find some stairs. So I go down.

More rats than the screen has room for. I frantically flail my screwdriver around as rats start to eat my chest, so I run back upstairs. The little bastards follow me. So there I was, in front of a church, surrounded by rats and dead scientists. I continue to swing my screwdriver in terror as I die. My kill count: 1 - Sewer Rat.

I can't help but wonder, If I would have used the Bleach and Ammonia the scientists had, could I have gassed all those rats?

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Unbound posted:

Just got through the tutorial and my first death in this game. All I can say is "Wow, this game is great fun." My first character stumbled upon a bunch of dead scientists in front of a church. So I take their gas mask, USBs, an ID card, and a screwdriver. With my new, handy-dandy, screwdriver, I voyage into the church, only to find some stairs. So I go down.

More rats than the screen has room for. I frantically flail my screwdriver around as rats start to eat my chest, so I run back upstairs. The little bastards follow me. So there I was, in front of a church, surrounded by rats and dead scientists. I continue to swing my screwdriver in terror as I die. My kill count: 1 - Sewer Rat.

I can't help but wonder, If I would have used the Bleach and Ammonia the scientists had, could I have gassed all those rats?

I don't believe so, there isn't any way to mix the chemicals. Even if you poured both out onto the ground, they wouldn't produce gas. Its a nice idea though!

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

PiCroft posted:

I don't believe so, there isn't any way to mix the chemicals. Even if you poured both out onto the ground, they wouldn't produce gas. Its a nice idea though!

Just confirmed this, they don't.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Anticheese posted:

Well that's a shame, but I can't expect everything. Besides, it might be in a future build, right?

On another thought, how practical is a solid melee build? I've always been more of a berserker in rougelike games. The bows and guns are fun, but there's just something about being surrounded by zombies while wielding a lead pipe.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
All this complaining about furries is kind of retarded. If there are any furries involved with DDA, they're the least obtrusive furries ever. This is not something that needs fixing

Lprsti99 posted:

E: Oh, and seeing the Crawl thread reminded me of something else: what about a starting 'profession' that randomly chooses one of the mutation categories, and randomly gives you mutations over the game, biased toward the category it chose (thinking of Crawl's Demonspawn here). Maybe have it preclude most traits as a balance (except possibly Robust Genetics, and Android or other traits that don't affect mutations?)
It can't really be done with the professions, they just don't support giving you traits. It should be possible to have something like that based on the traits that already exist, though. Just add the Genetically Unstable mutation to the list of traits that you can select in the beginning and you should have exactly what you're describing. All traits belong to certain mutation groups, so picking any of the other traits will let you pick what categories you want it to be biased towards.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Unbound posted:

Well that's a shame, but I can't expect everything. Besides, it might be in a future build, right?

On another thought, how practical is a solid melee build? I've always been more of a berserker in rougelike games. The bows and guns are fun, but there's just something about being surrounded by zombies while wielding a lead pipe.

Its possible, but difficult. You'd need to train the poo poo out of your melee/dodge to stand a hope in hell against large numbers or very powerful mobs.

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009

Anticheese posted:

I think there use to be a gas grenade recipe that used bleach+ammonia though.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
RE: melee
There's also the fact that robots explode when killed and that turrets will tear you up from close range AND explode. You pretty much need a rifle or a large calibre pistol, but a broadsword is pretty drat effective against almost everything and isn't too rare.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

PiCroft posted:

Its possible, but difficult. You'd need to train the poo poo out of your melee/dodge to stand a hope in hell against large numbers or very powerful mobs.

Yeah, I had assumed as much. Oh well, something to fight for.

EDIT: Oooh, didn't even get to turrets or robots yet. Are grenades effective at dealing with those, or is it just time to carry a .45 with me?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Grenades are effective but their range is limited, in that respect pistols are also rather limited. If you can carry a .308 or a 30-06 rifle you can engage targets long before they can shoot back.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Unbound posted:

On another thought, how practical is a solid melee build?

PiCroft posted:

I typically go with a melee build, there are some very powerful weapons to choose from and once you can get the appropriate skills to a moderate level and have a high strength you can comfortably handle hordes of lesser enemies and not even be concerned about lone monsters.
Of course there are certain monster and robot types you'll run into trouble with, probably the most common being turrets. But a Fusion blaster/firearm/grenades can handle them when they come up. I attack them at night and when underground, turn off your light source and just shoot them from 3 tiles away without any danger. (This may be altered in certain/future builds)

For the largest/toughest enemies you'll have to get smart, even at the start you'll need to use terrain and planned movements to maximise the time spent hitting them and not getting hit or with too many enemies within a tile at once.
Spitters and Boomers aren't much trouble if you can play with their LoS (same with other ranged mobs) and regular use of supporting weapons (grenades, molotovs, traps, firearms etc.) to weaken tough enemies like brutes/hulks can help to finish them off quickly in melee without getting your head smashed in.
Enemies that blind or are very quick with fast attacks can also present a threat if you're unprepared, like zombie dogs or manhacks but they quickly become trivial with some skill training and equipment. If you find yourself getting into a bad situation running away and regrouping is generally a solid plan in Cataclysm anyway.

I also typically have a selection of weapons, from fast knives to slow hammers and with a mix of Bash/Cut/Pierce for the appropriate enemy type which will seriously help to win a fight.
I'm currently using power armor and a sledgehammer to clear Labs without any trouble, killing legions of manhacks/skitterbots/scientists/blobs with the occasional higher level horror. Augmented with a fusion blaster/grenades and a USP 9mm to support.
None of them are particularly powerful weapons (except the grenades) but they are enough to clear any situations I might encounter where a sledgehammer isn't suited. If I'm not in a high combat situation just typical trench coat/army pants attire is fine since you shouldn't be getting hit often and keeping your encumbrance down is important, but it's safe to stick a backpack on and grab loot if there isn't going to be much fighting.

The trade-off really is that you can comfortably kill large amounts of weak(er) or separated mobs without any trouble or having to be concerned about ammo whilst you do put yourself at much greater risk with any other situation.
You probably will also need to prepare a battle plan far more than you would with a simple ranged weapon, using the available terrain, knowing where your enemies are so you don't get stuck and such. But again the need for this kind of planning changes based on enemy type and how developed your character is. At high levels you should easily be able to walk into town and just smack everything that gets in your way, whilst at low levels deliberate movements are required.

So yeah, its possible, but difficult is about right. But I find it very rewarding, also archery is for scrubs. :colbert:

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

So with the targeted mutation serums, I can understand where they get the beast, rat, plant, bug, spider, slime and whatever genetic samples from. But, where do they get the cephalopod genetics from? :cthulhu:

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Since the game already includes weird mystical poo poo, I'm wondering if adding in psychic capabilites would be worthwhile. You can grow a scorpion tail and turn into The Scorpion King, why not develop the ability to attack things with your mind?

I was also looking at implementing some kind of electrical system as well. It would be cool if you could power a building and turn on all the lights, and get powered fridges you can preserve food in. I think this is probably quite ambitious though.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

PiCroft posted:

I was also looking at implementing some kind of electrical system as well. It would be cool if you could power a building and turn on all the lights, and get powered fridges you can preserve food in. I think this is probably quite ambitious though.

Of course it's ambitious, but the game is in dire need of things to do once you've got basic survival down pat.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I'd be down for some activatable psychic mutations. Maybe fire-breathing glands too, or quills you can shoot. Caves of Qud does stuff like that, it's pretty awesome. You'd probably need to implement a new kind of resource similar to bionic power to balance it out, though.

Just no cooldown, though. I hate cooldowns.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Anticheese posted:

Of course it's ambitious, but the game is in dire need of things to do once you've got basic survival down pat.

I've seen inactive consoles in elevators in various buildings which leads me to believe electricity will be an inevitable part of a future update but I haven't seen much progress in that regard from the DDA team so I might look into it. I still need to implement clothing upgrades though so I'll finish that first.

Also, something I'd like is the ability to construct custom guns by making sub-components and assembling a complete weapon that uses ammo and reloading mechanics depending on what parts you used. You can make a stock, attach a repeating mechanism, a clip and a chamber of whatever caliber and you have a homemade assault rifle. Stick a handle on a 12 gauge chambered tube and you have a single-round, reload-after-every-shot "hand shotgun".

Additionally, either make cartridges and stuff more generic so they can be interchanged more easily or add the ability to create your own. One of the reasons I turned to archery despite how overpowered it is (not in the goon build anymore I know but still) is because it was a pain trying to find sufficient quantities of ammo to justify carrying any particular weapon.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

PiCroft posted:

Gun poo poo

The best part is that the structure for this is already there in the code. The underbarrel shotgun attachment allows a gun to load a different ammo type (shells), and other modifications already change weapon stats in a way that you could justify different stocks, barrels, receivers and so forth doing.

Go for it.

If there's anything I can help with, please let me know. I'm just really sick of looking at the Cataclysm code base. :shobon:

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

PiCroft posted:

Additionally, either make cartridges and stuff more generic so they can be interchanged more easily or add the ability to create your own. One of the reasons I turned to archery despite how overpowered it is (not in the goon build anymore I know but still) is because it was a pain trying to find sufficient quantities of ammo to justify carrying any particular weapon.

They're already somewhat interchangeable, you just need to use the bullet puller and hand press to covert one type into another. The only thing that isnt interchangable between all cartridges is primer and there are only 5 types.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

If you can find a hammer early on in the game, go break down a window, turn a locker into scrap, and make a spike.

Bam. Knife spear. Excellent weapon.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Bullet crafting is a bit buggy at the moment. If you pull apart bullets and put them back together again, you're liable to get more back out of the process than you invested in it. I tried it just a while ago and somehow ended up with 4680 9mm +P+ bullets. I'm not quite sure what happened there.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Another thing Cataclysm sorely needs is the ability to specify equipment type flags in crafting recipes, so instead of specifying a million loving kinds of knife you can just say "a knife" (or is_knife), which should also cut down on things not being able to take tools that they logically should.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

esquilax posted:

They're already somewhat interchangeable, you just need to use the bullet puller and hand press to covert one type into another. The only thing that isnt interchangable between all cartridges is primer and there are only 5 types.

Which version are you using? latest build I have still has specific casing for every caliber (.44, .45, .38, etc) which means when you break apart any of that ammo, unless you luck out and find a bunch of casings that you want somewhere else, you can only reassemble as many bullets as you have the casings for.

So if I had a small amount of 9mm and .38, I could salvage the lead, gunpower and small pistol primers, but since the casings aren't compatible, I can only assemble the bullets back together again into their original forms (or modified forms, but still the same caliber). Breaking apart 20 9mm and 20 .38 can only give me what I need to reassemble 20 9mm and 20 .38.

This is what I mean by making them interchangeable. I need the ability to make casings for whatever calibre I find and since my only sources at the moment is lucking out and finding spare casings I need.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Sometimes I love Cataclysm worldgen. :allears:

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
Get a stockpile and make sure you pick up your spent casings?

It's not perfect, but if you have the ammo to go till you have the time to make some more, it'd help.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

PiCroft posted:

Which version are you using? latest build I have still has specific casing for every caliber (.44, .45, .38, etc) which means when you break apart any of that ammo, unless you luck out and find a bunch of casings that you want somewhere else, you can only reassemble as many bullets as you have the casings for.

So if I had a small amount of 9mm and .38, I could salvage the lead, gunpower and small pistol primers, but since the casings aren't compatible, I can only assemble the bullets back together again into their original forms (or modified forms, but still the same caliber). Breaking apart 20 9mm and 20 .38 can only give me what I need to reassemble 20 9mm and 20 .38.

This is what I mean by making them interchangeable. I need the ability to make casings for whatever calibre I find and since my only sources at the moment is lucking out and finding spare casings I need.

Casings aren't interchangable but they are reusable. Just pick them up, and refill your .38 casings using stuff you get from breaking down 9mm.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
There's always an infinite amount of 9mm bullets after you start killing turrets, each one has a chance of dropping hundreds of bullets, you'll have more than you can carry soon enough. That's why I always carry a Glock19 to deal with anything that isn't armored.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Facepalm moment: I'd forgotten salvageable ammo casings :doh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The newest version has a new craftable "brass catcher" addon for firearms. Now you don't even need to clean up after yourself anymore. Handy!