Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

I have finally found a disc based version in this country. I'm hoping it is going to work, I will find out soon enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
You C3 guys are knocking it out of the park. I love how you do your releases around 10AM EST on Fridays too. :allears:

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Holy crap, Nightswimming

Guess I should try that cache rebuild trick too, I still have a song that never showed up in the game

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
Finally got around to getting customs working and I spent a lot of my day playing the various songs. This is awesome.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

I also managed to get customs working today and played around with a couple'o'few tracks.

I'll have to get into the guts of one, see how they tick and then try and make one for myself.

But I do think that all UK versions of the game (other than GoD of course) are all the older versions and should work fine.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine
So a friend of mine who I'm moving in with wanted to play some Rock Band after work yesterday and was really urging me to play with him on Xbox live before he let me know he only had Rock Band 2. I hadn't booted up RB2 in four years so I figured it would be a fun memory trip. There was weirdness here and there in the game: The music store still works, but seems to freeze often, and there's a big wall of text warning that you need the RB3 music store to see any DLC past 2010. The Rock Central message of the day is some kind of message along the lines of "why are you still playing this" and there's a battle of the bands going on right now called the "Post-Apocalyptic Battle" which is just a band setlist battle of the hardest songs ever released. The battle will likely never end because the deadline is in seven years. I think this was done as a failsafe to make sure Rock Band 2 has a battle all the way until the Xbox Live servers shut down (I was told if Rock Central can be reached, but no battle is returned, RB2 crashes.)
Also found this:

That's "Blue", the first RB3 exclusive piece of RBN DLC, making a ghostly appearance in RB2's world tour. I couldn't urge my friend to select it, because he couldn't see it on his end, and he was band leader. I went back and checked today and the song doesn't appear in any setlists or in quickplay. :iiam:

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Some friends of mine and I tried* to do Bladder of Steel a couple months back (I'm the only one who has it because I did it solo; all of our other group attempts have been wrought with failure) and I remember seeing that MOTD, but the other stuff is interesting.

*"Tried" as in "my new e-kit was acting really weird in RB2, the calibration might have been off and my solid-as-a-rock 360 crashed after we finished 'One Step Closer' so we all /ragequit"

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Orange Harrison posted:

So a friend of mine who I'm moving in with wanted to play some Rock Band after work yesterday and was really urging me to play with him on Xbox live before he let me know he only had Rock Band 2. I hadn't booted up RB2 in four years so I figured it would be a fun memory trip. There was weirdness here and there in the game: The music store still works, but seems to freeze often, and there's a big wall of text warning that you need the RB3 music store to see any DLC past 2010. The Rock Central message of the day is some kind of message along the lines of "why are you still playing this" and there's a battle of the bands going on right now called the "Post-Apocalyptic Battle" which is just a band setlist battle of the hardest songs ever released. The battle will likely never end because the deadline is in seven years. I think this was done as a failsafe to make sure Rock Band 2 has a battle all the way until the Xbox Live servers shut down (I was told if Rock Central can be reached, but no battle is returned, RB2 crashes.)
Also found this:

That's "Blue", the first RB3 exclusive piece of RBN DLC, making a ghostly appearance in RB2's world tour. I couldn't urge my friend to select it, because he couldn't see it on his end, and he was band leader. I went back and checked today and the song doesn't appear in any setlists or in quickplay. :iiam:
I was copying a bunch of DLC to a USB stick recently (to so some "surgery" on the .DTA files) and I noticed that "Blue" actually saves in the RB2 folder for some reason. All the other RBN 2.0 stuff saves in the RB3 folder like you'd expect. Not sure what's going on there, but that probably explains why it is viewable in the RB2 in-game menu at least.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

Mad Catz still has leftover Rock Band instruments which they are selling on "clearance".
http://store.gameshark.com/listCategoriesAndProducts.asp?idCategory=323&curPage=1
Some things are still rather expensive but one standout deal is Pro Guitar + Keyboard for $69.99
Still outta luck for plain 5-button guitars though.

Orange Harrison fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jun 11, 2013

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
$20 for a three cymbal pack is pretty good, I'm tempted to get them just for backups.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

Today I found some interesting unused/hidden/leftover-from-beatles-rock-band songs.dta flags that I investigated. Pretty useless but neat insight into some of the authoring stuff HMX doesn't make publicly available.

code:
(mute_volume -96.0)		
	Decibel reduction when instruments miss notes/fail out.
	Setting this to 0 will cause no muting when notes are missed, even with multitrack audio.
	Left over from Beatles Rock Band (to hide artifacts of stem isolation). Still works.
	Default -96.0

(mute_volume_vocals -12.0)	
	Decibel reduction of the vocal track when the singer fails.
	Manually reducing the vocal track volume for play still has the default max value (-12.0)
	Setting this to 0 will keep the vocal track playing even if the singer fails.
	Either leftover from Beatles Rock Band (to hide artifacts of stem isolation) or older to
	limit the ability for people to rip "instrumentals".

(band_fail_cue xxx.cue)		
	Speculated: Changes sound effect played when the keyboardist (or band 
	with a keyboardist) fails a song, to match the voice of the instrument (piano, synth, etc.)
	Only currently spotted values are:
	"band_fail_electro_keys.cue"
	and
	"band_fail_vintage_keys.cue"
	Tested and does NOTHING! Probably unfinished feature.

(song_key x)			
	Overrides vocal_tonic_note value for displaying key of song in trainers.
	Indirectly confirms that vocal_tonic_note is used by trainers when displaying a song's key,
	and that's why song_tonality is written for songs with Pro Keys trainers.
	Since you can't enter trainers in customs this is totally useless!

FirstPlayer
Jan 1, 2007

Beat me up and earn
fifteen respect points

Orange Harrison posted:

That's the old version of Hardware Store. I have a fixed version with an accurate harmony chart and the lyric overflow bug is fixed.
The only video proof I have right now is this archive video of a rowdy livestream with friends on my old (abaondoned) channel. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pEFuHRrCDQ You'll get to see the chart, but have to hear bewildered friends try to sight-read "Hardware Store".
It hasn't been distributed anywhere because I need to get in touch with the original author of all the other instruments for permission. When that happens it's going in as part of a Tongue-Twisters 3-pack:
  • Weird Al Yankovic - "Hardware Store"
  • Lemon Demon - "Word Disassociation"
  • Scatman John - "Hi, Louis"
This won't happen immediately because right now I'm working on a separate 4-pack, but it's next on my list.

That looks super fun on vocals. On a somewhat related note, I got to go to a Weird Al concert last week and it was everything I dreamed of and more. :swoon:

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant
So how do I go about getting all this sweet stuff set up to start creating? I'm going to have to pay to use Reaper, right? What are some good alternatives to that? I'll say I'm not good at tracking guitar stuff, but I can do a drum track pretty good.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

Reaper is "Nagware", you can use it for free forever, it just yells at you to buy a license every time you open it, like Winrar.
You'll also need Harmonix's custom tailored plugins and template to get started, though I'm not sure where exactly to get those anymore since I picked up mine years ago. There may be a mirror for them on C3's authoring docs mirror.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.

Orange Harrison posted:

There may be a mirror for them on C3's authoring docs mirror.

There's not, but there is a mirror posted on the C3 forums.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
What's the best bet for a replacement drum pedal these days? I'm hoping it's easier than getting a 5-button guitar... :ohdear:

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Minidust posted:

What's the best bet for a replacement drum pedal these days? I'm hoping it's easier than getting a 5-button guitar... :ohdear:

As of April 27th, 2013, Rock Pedal and Rock Pedal LLC have ceased operations.

Oh no!

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Minidust posted:

Looks like they're still making Omega Pedals:
http://www.omegamusictechnology.com/products/omega-pedal

Also the Destroyer Pedal:
http://www.rockbandpedal.net/

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

So are there any plans to do more modern music (my friends were asking for Alt-J last night) or should I be the change I want to see in Rock Band Customs?

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

Declan MacManus posted:

So are there any plans to do more modern music (my friends were asking for Alt-J last night) or should I be the change I want to see in Rock Band Customs?

Both. Lots of authors are doing modern stuff (with LyokoFreaks probably your best bet for anything Japanese), but if you want something done right -- or want a very specific song/artist -- you should do it yourself.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

I just hope the GHtoRB3 guys convert "One of these nights" by the Eagles soon. Any idea if that is coming?

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Eurgh.

quote:

Lego Rock Band- You can export Lego Rock Band the same way as Rock band 2, by entering the store in Rock Band 3 and using the redeem code feature. It costs $10.
Warning, Lego Rock Band has its own export feature that predates Rock Band 3, but it requires a buggy website and multiple code redemptions and causes lots of grief and calls to tech support. Do not try to use it.

We finally tracked down a new copy of Lego Rock Band (Amazon.com wouldn't ship it to Canada, and Amazon.ca wanted eighty dollars for it and gently caress that. We had to use an American friend as a fence) but the export code it gave us is one digit too long. The final block of numbers has 5 instead of four. I've tried a few different combinations where I thought maybe they fat-fingered the printing, but it's not working.

I just sort of want to confirm that the last one isn't supposed to be 5 digits long, before I start hunting down tech support. :sigh: It looks like the outdated export site also wants four digits so it's not just RB3 that thinks it's too long.
[edit]Oh hrm no it looks like it does take the fifth digit. So I have to use the old buggy site and get a second code, then?

Tagra fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jun 14, 2013

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
I can't help you with your specific problem but I remember I had a HUGE amount of issues trying to export Lego Rock Band. Ended up having to take a photo of the game, the code card and my receipt for the game before support would help me out.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

Sounds like you may have to use the old site. Pray to god it works for you! I've heart dozens of stories of the site falsely claiming your code has already been redeemed or that they accepted the code but are "out of tokens" to hand out for exports. Plus it's been so many years, I wouldn't be surprised if tech support just told you to go suck a lemon.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Tagra posted:

Eurgh.

We finally tracked down a new copy of Lego Rock Band (Amazon.com wouldn't ship it to Canada, and Amazon.ca wanted eighty dollars for it and gently caress that. We had to use an American friend as a fence) but the export code it gave us is one digit too long. The final block of numbers has 5 instead of four. I've tried a few different combinations where I thought maybe they fat-fingered the printing, but it's not working.

I just sort of want to confirm that the last one isn't supposed to be 5 digits long, before I start hunting down tech support. :sigh: It looks like the outdated export site also wants four digits so it's not just RB3 that thinks it's too long.
[edit]Oh hrm no it looks like it does take the fifth digit. So I have to use the old buggy site and get a second code, then?

If you're on twitter, message @HMXHenry and he should point you in the right direction (even if it's at tech support, there might be a new email address or something). He might take a bit to answer though, since E3 just ended.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
C3 releases for June 14, 2013:

New! Use Your Illusion I Greatest Hits Pack (farottone)
  • Guns N' Roses - "Don't Cry (Original)"
  • Guns N' Roses - "Live and Let Die"
  • Guns N' Roses - "November Rain"
New! Singles
  • Electric Light Orchestra - "Sweet Talkin' Woman" (Nyxyxylyth)
  • Primus - "Wynona's Big Brown Beaver" (RyanHYK)
  • Primus - "Wynona's Big Brown Beaver (2x Bass Pedal)" (RyanHYK)
From the Vault: Keane 3-pack (TrojanNemo)
  • Keane - "Everybody's Changing"
  • Keane - "Is It Any Wonder?"
  • Keane - "Somewhere Only We Know"

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Orange Harrison posted:

Sounds like you may have to use the old site. Pray to god it works for you!

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Why can't they just let us buy it off the Rock Band Network :negative:

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

pksage posted:

New! Singles

Holy poo poo, something I'd actually download for a change!

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jun 14, 2013

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Kaboobi posted:

Looks like they're still making Omega Pedals:
http://www.omegamusictechnology.com/products/omega-pedal

Also the Destroyer Pedal:
http://www.rockbandpedal.net/
:stare: Well those sure look better than a standard pedal. Would it be a bad idea to let a bunch of partygoers at one of these, or should they actually be more durable than a standard RB pedal? I'm gonna want whatever option is least likely to break.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

They're made from actual drum pedals so they should hold up pretty well.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

I've got an Omega pedal that I bought back ~September '08. For a little over a year my entire drum setup was used at El_Destructo's Rock Band Tuesdays. Pedal is still going strong, although I'm not sure if the switch is any good since I've been using it in a kick trigger setup for a couple years now.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

pksage posted:

• Guns N' Roses - "Live and Let Die"
  • Guns N' Roses - "November Rain"

Oh my goooooood :fap:

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world
Personally, I feel the Paul McCartney original should've been used in place of the Guns N Roses version but w/e

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pksage posted:

New! Singles

Oh..oh my word. :fap:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

pksage posted:

Electric Light Orchestra - "Sweet Talkin' Woman" (Nyxyxylyth)

I was waiting for the operator on the line! :dance:

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

pksage posted:

[*]Electric Light Orchestra - "Sweet Talkin' Woman" (Nyxyxylyth)

Jesus. Nyxyxylyth, you are one of the greats.

Seriously, I used to go to work and just shuffle ELO's discography to get through the day. I highly appreciate what you're doing.

Nyxyxylyth
Apr 4, 2013

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Jesus. Nyxyxylyth, you are one of the greats.

Seriously, I used to go to work and just shuffle ELO's discography to get through the day. I highly appreciate what you're doing.
Thanks Pyroxene!

There are only two ELO songs left in my queue. Time for a little ELO break though - my next 3 releases will be rather astoundingly different.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Nyxyxylyth posted:

Thanks Pyroxene!

There are only two ELO songs left in my queue. Time for a little ELO break though - my next 3 releases will be rather astoundingly different.

You've released so much great ELO that I welcome your break, and anticipate your differing releases. Even if I don't personally enjoy them, I don't care. :rolleyes:

Hearing that you still have 2 ELO releases makes me very happy.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
C3 releases for June 21, 2013:

New! Singles
  • Avicii (ft. Nicky Romero) – “I Could Be the One” (espher)
  • Between the Buried and Me – “Telos” (thewinnerisgeeg)
  • Crush 40 – “Live & Learn” (DVDSmith) (incl. 2x Bass Pedal version)
  • The Fray – “How to Save a Life” (TrojanNemo)
  • Sonic Adventure 2 – “Won’t Stop, Just Go! ...for Green Forest” (DVDSmith)
From the Vault: Singles
  • Avicii – “Levels” (espher)
  • Jet – “Look What You’ve Done” (TrojanNemo)
  • Michael Bublé – “Everything” (TrojanNemo)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

pksage posted:

C3 releases for June 21, 2013:

New! Singles
  • Crush 40 – “Live & Learn” (DVDSmith) (incl. 2x Bass Pedal version)
  • Sonic Adventure 2 – “Won’t Stop, Just Go! ...for Green Forest” (DVDSmith)

I'm so happy to have songs from Sonic Adventure! But my OCD is like "why not credit the latter as Jun Senoue and also not using the actual album title is weird..." so good thing I can just go in and edit that myself. :spergin:

• Locked thread