Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuestWhat
Nov 11, 2012
Hello all and welcome to the traditional art thread. Here you can post any art that you've made with paint, graphite, or other kinds of traditional media that you feel like and give feedback to other goons who post their work as well.

Both works-in-progress and finished pieces are welcome as well as 3D works.

The only real rule for this thread is that the work must be of traditional media; No digital art. If you made it on a computer, tablet, etc. post it in another thread.

Crossposting from the Daily Drawing threads is okay but try to keep it to a minimal if the content is more appropriate for those threads.

Enough rule talk, let's post some art:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuestWhat
Nov 11, 2012
Here's some work that I've recently completed:

Study for a painting that I'm going to be working on.

Picture of my cat who went missing shortly before finishing this.

Final for my abstract painting class.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Some ink wash/pen drawings I've been working on. The first three were part of a commission I was asked to do. The last one is a personal work.

QuestWhat
Nov 11, 2012
Your work is always great. Which artists are you influenced by?

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

QuestWhat posted:

Your work is always great. Which artists are you influenced by?

Lately, I've been really into Francis Bacon, Goya, and a little bit of William Blake.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
I usually have a thing about complimenting on art, but you guys are great.

I especially like this Christmas Carroller one. They look so happy. :3:

Spent a bit of time deciding if I should cross-post this from the DD thread...and I'm gonna go ahead with it. A baby thread needs its vitamins after all.

My scanner sort of lightened it up a bit and I didn't want to modify it since I'm not sure if its against the rules of this thread or not.
I used an H, and a 2B pencil, but I'm probably going to go back with something darker later on.

scarycave fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jun 5, 2013

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Friends Are Evil posted:

Lately, I've been really into Francis Bacon, Goya, and a little bit of William Blake.

Yeah, I've been getting huge Goya vibes from your stuff since you've been posting them. The only sort of complaint I can make about them is that sometimes your non-ghoulish faces seem stylistically out-of-place. Like this one:

With that said, though, I'm getting a huge hankering to bring my inks back out.

QuestWhat
Nov 11, 2012

scarycave posted:

My scanner sort of lightened it up a bit and I didn't want to modify it since I'm not sure if its against the rules of this thread or not.

If you are referring to cleaning up the scan/photograph of the art that should be fine. The art just has to made with traditional media. Nothing is more annoying than trying to get your work photographed properly only to have to try again and again because you can't get some annoying glare out or the color becomes desaturated.

Pympede
Jun 17, 2005
Finished my largest and most detailed stencil yet. It's 2 layers on OSB, final dimensions of six feet by 4 feet. My biggest issue was not having any connection between the top inner bones and the outer stencil which made it difficult to glue down perfectly so there are a few areas were the stencil didn't seal perfectly.

(linked for full size)

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
'

I.N.R.I fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Oct 10, 2013

Triangle
Jul 30, 2011

Heh. If I was actually unchill, I would be using all caps and/or exclamation marks in my posts, but I am chill. Clowns like you make me laugh, that's what clowns do. Added to my ignore list.
I like how you made sure to include the binder holes in each pic

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Triangle posted:

I like how you made sure to include the binder holes in each pic

That's because I think they look cool :D

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

A new piece I did for an upcoming group exhibition.

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

I.N.R.I posted:

That's because I think they look cool :D

Lots of women in your binder :D

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

slowdave posted:

Lots of women in your binder :D

Huh?

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
wtf does that mean..

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

I.N.R.I posted:

wtf does that mean..

It means that you draw a lot of women.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

scarycave posted:

It means that you draw a lot of women.

Well dude, the sky is blue but it's not like you would just walk around telling people about it for no reason. I'm asking him what his point is

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
I think he wants you to run for President.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
Ok. excuse me if I sound a little heated but from my point of view, it looks like I'm getting a bunch of passive aggressive crap from people I've never spoken to before just cos I posted some drawings in this thread.

I.N.R.I fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jun 8, 2013

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

I.N.R.I posted:

Ok. excuse me if I sound a little heated but from my point of view, it looks like I'm getting a bunch of passive aggressive crap from people I've never spoken to before just cos I posted some drawings in this thread.

Well, no. I didn't mean anything by it. I just answered your question.
It would probably be best if you didn't put much thought into that woman comment. He was probably making a joke or something.
I the thread should probably get back to more art stuff now.

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Bitterly Clinging to my AK47 and Das Kapital

I.N.R.I posted:

A certain recent presidential candidate remarked how he too had binders. Binders full of women.

Old joke, but good on you for posting swell work.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Another new piece.

Commutator
Jul 17, 2009
Crossposting these from DD... in retrospect I think I should have just posted them here.

Black watercolor over ink lines.

Just a Fish
Mar 22, 2012

I prefer glass and metal, i hope that's ok.
That hanging thingy will be replaced by a crucifix as soon as i got time to mold one

QuestWhat
Nov 11, 2012

Just a Fish posted:

I prefer glass and metal, i hope that's ok.

3D/sculpture work is perfectly fine for this thread, as long as it's not digitally made.

Y Signal
Feb 17, 2009

I love you, Tiger Millionaire.
Mixed media portrait of Nicolas Cage I did as an assignment for a class I was in this past quarter. Watercolor, airbrush, gouache, fluid acrylics and colored pencil over graphite.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
A charcoal drawing I posted a photograph of in the DD thread, this is the real thing:

I heard that hair-spray is supposed to help it from completely covering my scanner in charcoal and it seems to have worked, but there's a bit of splotches around.
There's also white spots. That I can't use charcoal on now.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

scarycave posted:

A charcoal drawing I posted a photograph of in the DD thread, this is the real thing:

I heard that hair-spray is supposed to help it from completely covering my scanner in charcoal and it seems to have worked, but there's a bit of splotches around.
There's also white spots. That I can't use charcoal on now.

Fixative usually helps keep charcoal from smearing. That's usually what I use.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
I think I'm digging this relief printing thing. This time with real, albeit cheap, wood. I was planning on going all white on the background, but now I dunno.

I might start looking into getting some real wood and tools.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

I'm taking part in a group exhibition based on Twin Peaks in August. Here's one piece I'm working on for it, featuring Killer BOB.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Friends Are Evil posted:

I'm taking part in a group exhibition based on Twin Peaks in August. Here's one piece I'm working on for it, featuring Killer BOB.

How big is your stuff, usually?

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

dupersaurus posted:

How big is your stuff, usually?

Usually, my work's not that big. This one's about 10 by 14, and I usually don't work much bigger.

I find it easier to focus when I do smaller pieces.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Friends Are Evil posted:

Usually, my work's not that big. This one's about 10 by 14, and I usually don't work much bigger.

I find it easier to focus when I do smaller pieces.

10x14 is pretty big for ink work (imho, at least)

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Friends Are Evil posted:

That's a drat fine inkwash.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Friends Are Evil: I never watched Twin Peaks, but that drawing makes me want to.

This is my latest - colored pencil and Neocolor II on Stonehenge paper. I am not super happy with the leaves, but this was my first time experimenting with the Neocolors, so I call it a success.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

New piece I'm working on for a client.

PersonalGenius
Mar 1, 2013

Barefoot on the Moon

HungryMedusa posted:

Friends Are Evil: I never watched Twin Peaks, but that drawing makes me want to.

This is my latest - colored pencil and Neocolor II on Stonehenge paper. I am not super happy with the leaves, but this was my first time experimenting with the Neocolors, so I call it a success.

This is super creepy and kinda sad. That is to say, I like it.

QuestWhat
Nov 11, 2012

HungryMedusa posted:

Really reminds of those videos where scientists would submerge rodents into containers full of breathable liquid (forgot what it's called exactly). Really cool.

Anyway, here's are some drawings from a recently completed sketchbook (all were done in graphite, felt markers, and/or India ink):

Model from a figure drawing session.

Character from a comic I drew a few months back.

Cats, because they are cool.

Self-portrait. I think this is the first one I've made of me smiling.

Visiting family for the summer holiday. Quick drawing of my parent's patio table.

Portrait's of my sister and mother.

Little obelisk in a park near where my parents live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

New piece I did for a zine project.

Friends Are Evil fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jun 28, 2013