Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Guy Axlerod posted:

The BIOS doesn't decide what letter is assigned to your drive.

Can you boot up in safe mode or otherwise and access Disk Management? You can change drive letter assignments from there.

If that doesn't work, try imaging the drive again. This time, do not boot up with both disks attached. The newly imaged drive should hopefully stay C:.

I didn't mean to imply the bios decides drive paths, just that the faulty drive wasn't in the boot order at all.

Unless safe mode lets me change the path while the drive is in use, then that won't help either. I'm trying to re-image the drive now though. Hopefully that'll be the end of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Maybe this will help: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q223188

Otherwise, you might be able to change the drive letter using Parted Magic: http://www.wikihow.com/Change-the-Active-Partition-of-Your-Hard-Disk-with-Parted-Magic

uhhhhahhhhohahhh fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jun 9, 2013

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Holy poo poo, of course it turns out to be something hilariously easy and simple. Worked perfectly, thanks man.

Fuckin' registry editor.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
So I'm not entirely sure if this is where I should be asking this, but does anyone know of a good program for mounting ISO files? I used to just use Daemon tools, but perhaps in all the time since I've last mounted an image, Microsoft may have pumped something out on their own...?

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Gin_Rummy posted:

So I'm not entirely sure if this is where I should be asking this, but does anyone know of a good program for mounting ISO files? I used to just use Daemon tools, but perhaps in all the time since I've last mounted an image, Microsoft may have pumped something out on their own...?

Indeed Microsoft has made their own tool for this - http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=38780

I still use Daemon Tools myself, because it works and why not.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
Would you recommend Daemon Tools (Lite, as I don't intend to pay for one of these) over the Microsoft branded one? I'd prefer to go with whichever is "lighter," uses less system resources, and doesn't force me to use some lovely UI.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Gin_Rummy posted:

Would you recommend Daemon Tools (Lite, as I don't intend to pay for one of these) over the Microsoft branded one? I'd prefer to go with whichever is "lighter," uses less system resources, and doesn't force me to use some lovely UI.
I've steered clear of Daemon Tools for a while - their download website and stuff is just too shady. I prefer not to support software that deliberately tries to trick you into download bullshit adware.

I've been using Virtual CloneDrive lately instead - http://www.slysoft.com/en/download.html

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Gin_Rummy posted:

http://wincdemu.sysprogs.org/

This is far superior to Daemon Tools, you just double click an image file and it's mounted. That's it. You can double click it again to eject or right click it in My Computer.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

http://wincdemu.sysprogs.org/

This is far superior to Daemon Tools, you just double click an image file and it's mounted. That's it. You can double click it again to eject or right click it in My Computer.

I like the sound of this, but the website makes it seem like it's some reallllyyy shady software...

Would anyone have a recommendation between this and CloneDrive? I've actually heard it mentioned before, so it seems like it's at least somewhat common.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
It's the most unassuming website, how could you possibly think that? It's even GPL.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

It's the most unassuming website, how could you possibly think that? It's even GPL.

I dunno, I've just seen a lot of websites that look kind of similar to this one that spout out bullshit spyware-like software. If you're giving it a solid vouch, I'll go ahead and get it though.

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

"L-O-V-E's just another word I never learned to pronounce."

Gin_Rummy posted:

Would anyone have a recommendation between this and CloneDrive? I've actually heard it mentioned before, so it seems like it's at least somewhat common.
Everyone has been using clonedrive since Win7 came out. I'd just stick to that.

Intrepid00
Nov 10, 2003

I'm tired of the PM’s asking if I actually poisoned kittens, instead look at these boobies.

Gin_Rummy posted:

Windows 8 can mount iso if you have that. In explorer just the iso and the ribbon brings up a drive tools. Just make sure you unblock the file if you downloaded.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Are there any good free programs for Twitter on desktop? I was using MetroTwit but their new version has a fixed window width that occupies half my screen, which is a real bummer. I need something compact.

Intrepid00
Nov 10, 2003

I'm tired of the PM’s asking if I actually poisoned kittens, instead look at these boobies.

Vegetable posted:

Are there any good free programs for Twitter on desktop? I was using MetroTwit but their new version has a fixed window width that occupies half my screen, which is a real bummer. I need something compact.

The Twitter app for Windows 8 supports snapping.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I'm using Windows 7 though, that's a no-go.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Is there a go-to app for Windows 7 to monitor the volume of network traffic going to different computers in a HomeGroup? I'm looking for something that would let me know when downloads are done on a computer without starting a remote session.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend
I originally had 1 partition for Windows 7, and one for Windows 8. I reformatted the Windows 7 one, but now I can't extend the Windows 8 partition. When I do "extend volume" it is greyed out. Any idea how to merge these?

Armourking
Dec 16, 2004

Step off!
Step off!

Rent posted:

I originally had 1 partition for Windows 7, and one for Windows 8. I reformatted the Windows 7 one, but now I can't extend the Windows 8 partition. When I do "extend volume" it is greyed out. Any idea how to merge these?

You'll need 3rd party software to do so, and from a boot disk. In either Vista or 7 they included the option to expand the Windows drive , but only into free space. You're free space is behind the partition, and it gets mucky.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Armourking posted:

You'll need 3rd party software to do so, and from a boot disk.
I used AOMEI Partition Assistant to do exactly the same thing he wants to do (even though that was on an old XP computer at the time). This program doesn't need a boot disk but does its thing in a special Windows mode between boots, I think. As an advantage that's only noteworthy if you don't have some external boot medium at hand, though.

Despite the disconcerting amount of Engrish on the site and in the program, it did work properly.

I believe GParted would be the more usual recommendation, probably. Easiest way to get that booting form an usb drive would be TuxBoot.

Whatever you use and despite the promises of being able to do this without data loss, make sure you've got at least your personal documents backed up somewhere!

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
I want to start using the save and send option in Word 2010. But I want it to use the Windows 8 metro App, when it wants to use Outlook 2010. I've had a look in default settings but it doesn't seem to affect word.

Anyone know how to fix this?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I have a lot of programs pinned to my taskbar, and any number of them can be open or closed at any given moment, and for some reason it bugs some deep down, OCD part of my brain seeing randomly open and closed programs in no particular order on the taskbar.

Are there any programs that will, say, take a snapshot of where all the pinned programs are on the taskbar, then as I open them, move them around so all the open ones are grouped together, anchored next to the start button? Then when I close the programs, they'll go back to where they were before they were opened?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

What would you guys recommend for something that can monitor a program's hard drive usage and detect where it writes files to?

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
Is there an HD video equivalent for Subsonic (a program that lets me stream and download music from my MP3 collection remotely to other computers and smartphones/tablets)? It would be cool if I could stream TV shows and movies from my home PC while I'm on lunch at work.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

What would you guys recommend for something that can monitor a program's hard drive usage and detect where it writes files to?

ProcMon, one of the SysInternals tools.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

fookolt posted:

Is there an HD video equivalent for Subsonic (a program that lets me stream and download music from my MP3 collection remotely to other computers and smartphones/tablets)? It would be cool if I could stream TV shows and movies from my home PC while I'm on lunch at work.
Doesn't Subsonic also support video now?
I'm pretty sure it was introduced in one of the latest versions.

Edit: Ah, video streaming is in the Premium package: http://www.subsonic.org/pages/premium.jsp

Edit2: I personally use Plex for video streaming at home, and you can set it up to stream over the internet too using myPlex: http://wiki.plexapp.com/index.php/MyPlex

Fart of Presto fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jun 14, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

madsushi posted:

ProcMon, one of the SysInternals tools.

Thank you. I remember using this tool before but I was blanking on what it was.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Fart of Presto posted:

Doesn't Subsonic also support video now?
I'm pretty sure it was introduced in one of the latest versions.

Edit: Ah, video streaming is in the Premium package: http://www.subsonic.org/pages/premium.jsp

:doh: I have the premium package. I'll try that out.

Holy poo poo, it works beautifully! Thanks so much.

Wait, does Plex support subtitles in MKVs?

fookolt fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jun 14, 2013

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

fookolt posted:

:doh: I have the premium package. I'll try that out.

Holy poo poo, it works beautifully! Thanks so much.

Wait, does Plex support subtitles in MKVs?

Yes, Plex supports it but DLNA doesn't. Sometimes it works, otherwise you have to use an app like this.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

WorkingStiff posted:

Yes, Plex supports it but DLNA doesn't. Sometimes it works, otherwise you have to use an app like this.

Hm, I see. Is DLNA the thing that makes Universal Media Server also work? Because I've always had MKV subtitles show up with UMS with my WD TV Live.

Sorry for the questions; this is all very black magic to me.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

fookolt posted:

Hm, I see. Is DLNA the thing that makes Universal Media Server also work? Because I've always had MKV subtitles show up with UMS with my WD TV Live.

Sorry for the questions; this is all very black magic to me.

As far as I'm aware, only LG devices have issues with it.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Plex has a DLNA server in addition to it's own protocol. You should only use the DLNA part of Plex Server if you can't run a Plex client on your PC/mobile device/TV.
When you stream outside of your own network, you don't use DLNA.

Where DLNA is a way to stream a file from one server to another (and a lot of other thing not often used), Plex has a lot of cool things built in too, if you use the "native" Plex server and a player client.
You can make the server handle embedded subtitles and languages in MKV files and make it shrink the picture to a lower quality for streaming to your phone over a 3G connection (transcodeing - it takes some CPU power to make it do that).
It can also look up metadata for your files and present it in a very nice way, instead of having you browse through a file structure for the right media file.
You can also add youtube, vimeo or whatever else online resources to your myPlex, and get that presented in the same way.

I can never go back to a DLNA server again after having gotten used to using Plex, with the server on a NAS and clients on Samsung TV, desktop PC, laptop PC and Android phone, all for the price of $5 for the Android client.

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009
Is it a requirement to have the recovery disks for Windows 7 home premium? I burned some for my Wife's computer and put it in her laptop box and she threw out the box about 3 months ago.Her hardrive crashed last night. I have her key and a copy of Windows 7 Home premium that came with my Sager Laptop, Can I use that? Her's is a Toshiba Satellite. Thanks

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Nask26 posted:

Is it a requirement to have the recovery disks for Windows 7 home premium? I burned some for my Wife's computer and put it in her laptop box and she threw out the box about 3 months ago.Her hardrive crashed last night. I have her key and a copy of Windows 7 Home premium that came with my Sager Laptop, Can I use that? Her's is a Toshiba Satellite. Thanks

If you want to just re-install Windows, sure. Why wouldn't it work?

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009

Grawl posted:

If you want to just re-install Windows, sure. Why wouldn't it work?

I remember hearing a while ago about OEM versions being different and the keys not being interchangeable. I've been out of the loop a while and just wanted to make sure.

Armourking
Dec 16, 2004

Step off!
Step off!

Nask26 posted:

I remember hearing a while ago about OEM versions being different and the keys not being interchangeable. I've been out of the loop a while and just wanted to make sure.
Windows XP, yeah, that used to be a pain. They don't do that anymore.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend

Flipperwaldt posted:

I used AOMEI Partition Assistant to do exactly the same thing he wants to do (even though that was on an old XP computer at the time). This program doesn't need a boot disk but does its thing in a special Windows mode between boots, I think. As an advantage that's only noteworthy if you don't have some external boot medium at hand, though.

Despite the disconcerting amount of Engrish on the site and in the program, it did work properly.

I believe GParted would be the more usual recommendation, probably. Easiest way to get that booting form an usb drive would be TuxBoot.

Whatever you use and despite the promises of being able to do this without data loss, make sure you've got at least your personal documents backed up somewhere!

AOMEI worked great. Thanks a lot!

Eikre
May 2, 2009

Armourking posted:

Windows XP, yeah, that used to be a pain. They don't do that anymore.

It's actually pretty cool, all four consumer editions of win7 are the same media except for a short identifying text string. If you altar that string and burn the ISO to a new disk, it will prompt you to make a version selection instead of initiating automatically and you can use it as license-agnostic installation media.

Still need a different disk for x86 and x64 versions though. And Enterprise media is different in some other weird way.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Disk tab of resource monitor. Built in to vista and 7..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

immortalyawn
May 28, 2013

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

immortalyawn fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Mar 31, 2019