Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

raditts posted:

The first thing that comes to mind when I think "fancy ketchup" is McDonalds, so it probably means "we dumped a pile of sugar in this bitch."

Apparently it has to do with the percentage of tomato solids. Below Fancy is "extra standard" and "standard". "Extra Standard" is now my new favorite bullshit term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
This thread has made me realize that Microsoft really needs a new advertising agency for all of their products.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=heg-k9VR7Zo

My sincerest apologies for even remotely making this political, but this actually popped up as an ad uwhile I was watching youtube today.

It was disgustingly offensive, and I hope some Hispanic Civil Rights groups are on the asses of these people.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jun 12, 2013

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I have a Scion and I like the car buy my god the "10 Anniversary" commercial for the company is super annoying.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.
I am not sure if this has been shared before... a battle between Leonard Nimoy and Zachary Quinto (in a car commercial). Pretty funny.

http://youtu.be/WPkByAkAdZs

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Gaunab posted:

Taylor Swift's Diet Coke commercial. I don't care if it's the perfect night to dress up like Hitler.

I'm curious to know how much they had to pay the limo driver to act like he was really into the song.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

FuzzySkinner posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=heg-k9VR7Zo

My sincerest apologies for even remotely making this political, but this actually popped up as an ad uwhile I was watching youtube today.

It was disgustingly offensive, and I hope some Hispanic Civil Rights groups are on the asses of these people.

We are a democratic organization--comments are disabled.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
I had to look up what "go to the back of the line" meant, since I've never heard that particular immigration slang. Couldn't they have come up with a term that sounds less like "go to the back of the bus?"

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme
Also not political, but from a practical standpoint, it makes no rational sense. If I were told "go to the back of the line", a line thousands of people long, I'm just not going to get in that line. And being forced to learn another language? I'll pass, thanks.

This has nothing to do with the immigration argument. It's about logic and human behavior.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
If I moved to Italty, to operate on a daily basis and have a career, i'd probably have to learn Italian.

If I moved to Brazil, to operate on a daily basis and have a career, i'd probably have to learn Portugese.

If I moved to Japan, to operate on a daily basis and have a career, i'd probably have to learn Japanese.

Stupid advertisement notwithstanding, I cannot for the life of me understand why so many people who come here (especially from Central and South America) refuse to make an even rudimentary attempt to learn the de facto language of the country. It would be extremely positive, and help them integrate into the society, and help their kids integrate into the society.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Nerdfest X posted:

Also not political, but from a practical standpoint, it makes no rational sense. If I were told "go to the back of the line", a line thousands of people long, I'm just not going to get in that line. And being forced to learn another language? I'll pass, thanks.

This has nothing to do with the immigration argument. It's about logic and human behavior.

Part of the reason we have so many undocumented immigrants is that our legal immigration system is tough as balls. And good luck trying to become a citizen.

This is the reason sane people are talking about amnesty and paths to citizenship- our current system is broken and the number of people hopping across the border are a symptom, not the cause.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zr1s_B0zqX0

No Apple, how people interact with your product, is not what matters in life. This commercial really really irritates me. Just feel like Apple is pretty much telling everyone that your life would be poo poo without our products.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Meltathon posted:

No Apple, how people interact with your product, is not what matters in life. This commercial really really irritates me. Just feel like Apple is pretty much telling everyone that your life would be poo poo without our products.

Eventually their commercials are just going to be a bunch of Apple execs sitting in a white room jerking each other off.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Gonz posted:

If I moved to Italty, to operate on a daily basis and have a career, i'd probably have to learn Italian.

If I moved to Brazil, to operate on a daily basis and have a career, i'd probably have to learn Portugese.

If I moved to Japan, to operate on a daily basis and have a career, i'd probably have to learn Japanese.

Stupid advertisement notwithstanding, I cannot for the life of me understand why so many people who come here (especially from Central and South America) refuse to make an even rudimentary attempt to learn the de facto language of the country. It would be extremely positive, and help them integrate into the society, and help their kids integrate into the society.

Immigrants today are learning English faster than German and Italian immigrants did 100+ years ago

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme
I was referring to the hassle of bureaucracy, and nothing to do with immigration per se, or becoming a citizen. It was about EFFORT -> REWARD.

The reward could be getting a drivers' license. I am already driving, why bother going to the DMV? It is common knowledge that DMV = Boring ALL DAY EVENT dealing with civil service fuckheads. I'm not down with that, so I skip it and keep on driving. If I get caught, they could give me a ticket, put me in jail, maybe even take my car (i.e. deported). I just ignore the ticket, post bail, or buy another car and keep driving (i.e. sneak back). The end result is the same: I am operating a motor vehicle (i.e. in the United States), without the headache of hours of paperwork.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Meltathon posted:

I will see your Apple ad, and raise you the Samsung Galaxy S4 ad where the guy is trying to swaddle his baby. It is pretty tolerable until he finally gets the baby swaddled and the baby lets out a huge fart (or is it poo poo?) and the dad says "that's gonna be a wet one"

It's like the television version of that annoying mom on Facebook that lets you know every time little Timmy takes a dump in her purse.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Nerdfest X posted:

Hairspray. loving Hairspray.

Mega hold. Ultra hold. Maximum hold. Super hold. Extra hold.

Is there a chart listing what these terms mean? Is Ultra better than Super, or the other way around? Where on the scale is Half-rear end hold. Is there a Flimsy hold?

Also feminine products. Often times it is demonstrated how absorbent they are by how much blue liquid they can hold. WHO THE loving HELL SECRETES BLUE LIQUID?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Retail Slave posted:

Also feminine products. Often times it is demonstrated how absorbent they are by how much blue liquid they can hold. WHO THE loving HELL SECRETES BLUE LIQUID?

Keeping those 4 huge stones in her gut for so long couldn't have been healthy.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Retail Slave posted:

Question: what would you prefer they pour on the pads, as an alternative?

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Actual blood?

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.
Pigs blood, and a lot of it, like so much that I get confused and think I'm watching Carrie.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Retail Slave posted:

People undergoing ferrocyanide (prussian blue) treatment for heavy metal poisoning sweat and pee deep blue, actually :science:

But the reason they do it is the same reason that windshield washer fluid is electric blue: nothing natural is that color so you know it has to be artificial. With washer fluid you know you aren't supposed to drink it, with the diaper or maxi pad ads you know that they aren't actually showing you real blood or urine.

(the colors they make gatorade and energy drinks these days have really hosed up the intense dye = inedible thing though)

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Shut up. Post commercials.

Retail Slave posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bpy75q2DDow

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Retail Slave posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF7MsBtZx08

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I could probably write a book on how much I hate beer commercials. Lately the campaign I hate the most is Miller 64. They all involve some sort of fake Irish drinking song like that makes that beer flavored water any more fun to drink. Never mind the fact that its probably the least Irish beer in existence.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Meltathon posted:

I like the dude around 28s next to the iPad guy. His face is mine, he is us.

Now stab that dipshit in the eye with some chopsticks. :unsmigghh:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIRtq8evqi0

In the 70s, Debbie Boone had a monster hit with "You Light Up My Life". It was a love song written for the movie of the same name. Debbie dedicated the song to God who, she said, lit up HER life. Now she's using the song song to shill for LifeLift, a facelift system that apparently is NOT performed by plastic surgeons.

I'm sure God is smiling down upon you Miss Boone.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Only because His facial muscles are stuck like that.

Also, this guy has the most punchable face (the "blue shirt beta" title is hilariously fitting):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GW7b2MiJkU

Urdnot Fire fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jun 18, 2013

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003
More radio retardedness.

Colorado goons probably know this one. The radio ad for the Colorado Lottery Monopoly scratch game.

Two guys talking, one says he played a new scratch game, the other guy asks which one. The first guy says the Monopoly game. The second guyis "You played the monopoly game, but you said you played a scratch game" SHOW HIM THE TICKET YOU loving MORON. Of course, if he did that the ad would be over in 5 seconds. Almost as annoying as Flo "singing" and "playing" the kazoo.

If you think TV ads are stupid, listen to the radio. Your brain will try to escape even faster.

Marvin_Gardens
May 25, 2005

keevo posted:

This thread has made me realize that Microsoft really needs a new advertising agency for all of their products.

From your mouth to Ballmer's ear. The bulk of their ads are grating, preening, patronizing or just _bad_ (the Surface campaign). The only one that's alright is the Nokia Windows Phone "Wedding Fight" ad. I wonder how much creative control Microsoft exerts on their current TV advertisements.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

muscles like this? posted:

Do they make non-fancy ketchup any more?

My office kitchen has a bottle of "Non-ultra Joy" so they might.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

keevo posted:

This is their current agency of record.

You'll note that their client base has equally terrible commercials.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDNVdF4IHYQ

As seen on TV Products are now using an Angelic Chorus in their commercials.

:catdrugs:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

WendigoJohnson posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDNVdF4IHYQ

As seen on TV Products are now using an Angelic Chorus in their commercials.

:catdrugs:

Sounds like the "Angelic Chorus" midi instrument.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I notice that Dish's new ads are finally disclosing that their "HOLY poo poo RECORD SIX SHOWS AT ONCE" only applies to major networks during primetime.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
My favorite misleading ads right now are T-Mobile radio ads. It's set up as "Simple Choices", like Jamaica or Jail, or Winning or Losing, and finally "A Samsung Galaxy S4 from T-Mobile for less that $150 (down) and with no long-term contract, OR the same phone for $50 more a AT&T, plus a 2-year contract."

The commercial then proceeds to detail the plan in full in hushed tones and quick speaking. The phone is $149.99 (less than $150, technically) DOWN, plus added payments of $20 per month to your service bill over 2 years (but no service contract, technically), and if you do cancel service, instead of a cancellation fee, the balance due on the phone itself becomes due, which is somewhere around $600 total. It's just such dumb bullshit that it makes me laugh every time.

I think they've since reduced the down payment on the phone to $99.99, and clearly state $99.99 in the commercials rather than "Less than $100", which I guess makes that point slightly better, but everything else is unchanged. In dealing with T-Mobile myself recently, they also neglect to tell you in that commercial that applicable sales tax on the phone is applied to its full price at time of purchase. So that $100 gets another $30 or so tacked onto it, plus activation fees and the like.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I notice that Dish's new ads are finally disclosing that their "HOLY poo poo RECORD SIX SHOWS AT ONCE" only applies to major networks during primetime.

I think they were doing that from the beginning, but in the ad-end disclaimer stuff rather than in the actual selling points. It made me laugh the first time I heard it.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

SpacePig posted:

I think they were doing that from the beginning, but in the ad-end disclaimer stuff rather than in the actual selling points. It made me laugh the first time I heard it.

Yeah that's what I meant. Originally it was hidden in that microscopic text they show for half a second at the end, now they have to actually disclose it in a way people notice.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
So what would be the disadvantage to Dish to offer the "record 6 shows at once" service at all times of the day across any channels available to their subscribers?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Retail Slave posted:

So what would be the disadvantage to Dish to offer the "record 6 shows at once" service at all times of the day across any channels available to their subscribers?

It's a technical issue.

The DVR only has 3 tuners. Dish puts the 4 major networks on a single transponder so that only one tuner is necessary to record all 4 channels at once (leaving the other two free). Since which channels share a transponder is determined at the satellite level, you can't really blanket enable that feature across the board for all channels to allow each tuner to record more than one show simultaneously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marvin_Gardens
May 25, 2005

Timby posted:

This is their current agency of record.

You'll note that their client base has equally terrible commercials.

Give me strength-

A business that is by NO MEANS trying way too hard posted:

Crispin Porter + Bogusky is a full-service, fully-integrated advertising agency with over 800 full-time, late-working, on-timing, below-budgeting, overnight-FedExing, hard-charging, clutch-saving, coffee-chugging, pop-culture changing, marketing fanatics.