Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheMammoth
Dec 3, 2002

Quidnose posted:

Signature confirmation so be home I guess? :v:

This is totally a semi-derail, but just to clarify "signature confirmation" only means it could literally be anyone's signature. Doesn't matter whose name is on the package or who was the sender, so long as someone is standing on the street or in a doorway to sign for the package. There's a separate, slightly more expensive option for requiring the signature of the labelled recipient (plus ID to confirm, I believe).

I had a package of electronics shipped to my apartment in Berkeley/Oakland with signature confirmation, and it arrived while I was at work. I came home, noticed it had been delivered, found no package in my mailbox or at my door, called UPS and was like "uh, what the gently caress?" And they just told me, "Oh yeah... a uh... Jacob... signed for it." That's nowhere close to my name. When I asked them why they would leave a large package with a random guy on the street whose name wasn't anywhere on the receipt, they replied "that's another service."

Fortunately Jacob turned out to be my new neighbor who happened to be standing on the block at the right time. Otherwise about ~$500 in music equipment would have gone to the first person smart enough to approach the confused looking UPS guy.

As a counterpoint to that anecdote, the UPS service in my area of Chicago has since been absolutely phenomenal. If a package is supposed to be delivered by 10:30am, they will get it there by no later than 10:27. Our USPS service is laughingly incompetent (as in, one day my elderly neighbors had the carrier dump the mail for the entire street on their doorstep and this old lady took it upon herself to come around at 9PM that night trying to deliver all her neighbors' mail).

So I guess this is just a your mileage may vary post for shipping services (I work in shipping & receiving). But in my daily experience USPS < FedEx < UPS (don't know about DHL).

TheMammoth fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jun 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

DeathBySpoon posted:

So this may be a stupid idea, but has anyone ever installed a top-loading Famicom slot into an NES? I imagine you could just use a ribbon cable and solder it onto the generously-sized cart slot. Is there somewhere you can buy the 60 pin slots? I want a Famicom, but shipping puts it outside my price range.

I'm not sure if there's anywhere selling just a cartridge slot, but a reasonably close thing would be to pick up a converter. I think pirate versions exist for sale, but another option is the ones that are locked inside of certain really early-run NES 5-screw games, a list of which was just posted a page or two back. Either of those options would require a lot less work in both finding one and installation than trying to get a Famicon slot, I'm sure. I think the only real downside would be that it still wouldn't play the extra musical effects in games like Castlevania III and Mr. Gimmick, I think.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I have a NES -> Famicom converter that I'm just waiting for my Famicom to arrive before I start testing it. If you're looking for a top loader solution for the toaster, I can tell you how this ends up rolling.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
The SCART to JAMMA adapter I ordered a few weeks ago came in. I've been wanting to do this for about a decade but was too stupid/lazy to pull it off (while this thing is basically a plug and play solution):

...but that's actually the 360 there :ssh:

I'll probably get some stuff to try the Dreamcast out sometime, still a few games on there I'd like to play again.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Midnight Raider posted:

I think the only real downside would be that it still wouldn't play the extra musical effects in games like Castlevania III and Mr. Gimmick, I think.

Though while you're in there you may as well do that mod too, since that's easier than soldering in a Famicom connector anyway.

Krikzz is making 60->72 converters now so even if you can't find a bare connector you can desolder one of his.

In other news, I discovered my receiver is much more willing to talk with my SNES than my NES, which neatly reverses that problem (my NES gets along with my TV, but my SNES looks like rear end on it). This is a 2chip so it'll never look great, though I'm wondering how it might be if I can component mod the thing.

This SD2SNES is pretty cool, though apparently it doesn't like where I put the DSP data files because those games aren't working. E: Aha, it wanted them to be named .bin and not .rom.

parasyte fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jun 15, 2013

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

flyboi posted:

No, not really. The reason I did my mod is because the xrgb mini has no VGA port. By adding the switch and circuit I can feed it VGA over scart.

Is this something that would be doable in a VGA box outside the Dreamcast, or does it flat-out require stuff going on inside the console itself? It's probably the only thing keeping me in XRGB3 land right now, I wouldn't mind upgrading to a Mini.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
I'm a bit of an Amiga noob, but I used to visit a mate's place and play some of the great stuff he had-I can't remember the names of them though.

Looking into emulation, which version of the Amiga should I be looking to emulate?

(I'm on OSX if it matters)

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

univbee posted:

Is this something that would be doable in a VGA box outside the Dreamcast, or does it flat-out require stuff going on inside the console itself? It's probably the only thing keeping me in XRGB3 land right now, I wouldn't mind upgrading to a Mini.

It all depends on the vga box you're using. If it carries pin 10 from the av connector to the pcb along with +5V (pin 5) then the mod would be doable inside the vga box.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.

TheMammoth posted:

<shipping stuff>
As a counterpoint to that anecdote, the UPS service in my area of Chicago has since been absolutely phenomenal. If a package is supposed to be delivered by 10:30am, they will get it there by no later than 10:27. Our USPS service is laughingly incompetent (as in, one day my elderly neighbors had the carrier dump the mail for the entire street on their doorstep and this old lady took it upon herself to come around at 9PM that night trying to deliver all her neighbors' mail).

So I guess this is just a your mileage may vary post for shipping services (I work in shipping & receiving). But in my daily experience USPS < FedEx < UPS (don't know about DHL).

I don't really want to cause a derail, but I have to say this is the exact opposite from what I've seen in recent years for small packages. It seems that since UPS ships a lot of large boxes the smaller stuff takes the short end of the stick.

About 90% of small UPS packages I receive have significant damage. I just want to say again, 90%. These are mostly small items from Amazon, but large boxes usually take a few dents/rips if they're not packed with something sturdy as well. It's really annoying when I have to return every other book I get from Amazon since they haven't figured out that every bubble mailer they send arrives with several black streaks and creases where it was obviously bent. USPS is fine, I've never had a problem with them except for lovely mailmen who think stuffing packages into my mailbox by bending/folding them is acceptable, and my rate for damaged packages is practically zero.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Keyboard Kid posted:

I don't really want to cause a derail, but I have to say this is the exact opposite from what I've seen in recent years for small packages. It seems that since UPS ships a lot of large boxes the smaller stuff takes the short end of the stick.

About 90% of small UPS packages I receive have significant damage. I just want to say again, 90%. These are mostly small items from Amazon, but large boxes usually take a few dents/rips if they're not packed with something sturdy as well. It's really annoying when I have to return every other book I get from Amazon since they haven't figured out that every bubble mailer they send arrives with several black streaks and creases where it was obviously bent. USPS is fine, I've never had a problem with them except for lovely mailmen who think stuffing packages into my mailbox by bending/folding them is acceptable, and my rate for damaged packages is practically zero.

Even though I rarely have shipping mishaps (like 2 magazines have arrived with the whole whoops we lost it letter) but package wise I agree completely. Ups stuff always gets here but I swear every time it'll have a tire or fork lift track clearly on it from where it's been ran over.

Also hope that sig confirmation wasn't mine because my mail comes around 10:30 and I will have to take off work to get it.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I am officially moving so I will not have internet for about a week, lest anyone think I created a 12+ year rapport with you people and abandoned this thread all for the ultimate payoff: receiving a retro games gift without giving one in return. :v:

So seriously if my gift comes and I don't post pics (even though it's going to my old address I will still get it just fine, the new people living there are cool), it's just because I won't have Real Internet and am going through the stress of moving. Again, if my Santee doesn't receive his gift by the deadline, I'm not a deadbeat. I did the last Secret Santa and did the YOSPOS one last year for verification that I'm not scum.

Cheers, peeps. I'll let you know if there are any good retro game shops in Vermont (there aren't).

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

the_lion posted:

Looking into emulation, which version of the Amiga should I be looking to emulate?

(I'm on OSX if it matters)

The A500, I think. At least, that's what I used for Puggsy.

Side note: The Amiga version of Puggsy is garbage.

likw1d
Aug 21, 2003

For any of you dudes who have done the S-video MOD on a SNES Mini, did you guys use 75 ohm resistors (recommended in the guide) on chroma and luma? I went to RadioShack and they didn't have 75 ohm resistors so I grabbed 68ohm do you think that would be sufficient? I also have 100ohm and 150ohm(which I grabbed for RGB).

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

Events cast shadows before them, but the huger shadows creep over us unseen.

the_lion posted:

The A500 has the broadest compatibility with all games, however any AGA-only games (released towards the end of the Amiga's commercial lifespan, taking advantage of the more powerful graphics chipset in the A1200/A4000/CD32) will need you to emulate at least an A1200.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Man, so far this garage sale season I'm batting zero for any pre-32 bit games. :(

I did manage to snag a PS2 copy of Sonic Mega Collection Plus for a buck while I was out. At least I finally get to try the Game Gear games.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
I just can't wake up early enough to get out to the good yard sales.

In other news, I would like to report that forums poster Ambitious Spider is a bro and a half. Peep my sweet sweet haul.

I am pumped as HECK to play all of these games and look at that god drat Valis III. I know SFC games were never sealed but Super Valis is wrapped up. Also I'm so happy to own a copy of Night of the Sickle Weasel I can't even tell you. Thank you again dude! :D

VV Will do, and no worries, I still really appreciate all of this :D VV

Bing the Noize fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jun 15, 2013

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

ACID POLICE posted:

I just can't wake up early enough to get out to the good yard sales.

In other news, I would like to report that forums poster Ambitious Spider is a bro and a half. Peep my sweet sweet haul.

I am pumped as HECK to play all of these games and look at that god drat Valis III. I know SFC games were never sealed but Super Valis is wrapped up. Also I'm so happy to own a copy of Night of the Sickle Weasel I can't even tell you. Thank you again dude! :D

Glad it made it safely. I put it together before I heard about your disaster, or I probably would have gone a little differently, but I'm glad you still like it.

Edit:also, I've got no idea if the game gear versions of Ecco and Lion King are substantially different, so you'll have to let me know.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

I am officially moving so I will not have internet for about a week, lest anyone think I created a 12+ year rapport with you people and abandoned this thread all for the ultimate payoff: receiving a retro games gift without giving one in return. :v:

So seriously if my gift comes and I don't post pics (even though it's going to my old address I will still get it just fine, the new people living there are cool), it's just because I won't have Real Internet and am going through the stress of moving. Again, if my Santee doesn't receive his gift by the deadline, I'm not a deadbeat. I did the last Secret Santa and did the YOSPOS one last year for verification that I'm not scum.

Cheers, peeps. I'll let you know if there are any good retro game shops in Vermont (there aren't).

Well, the deadline is the end of July, so you still have a month and a half. You should be good.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Ugh I hate playing the waiting game. I got almost all the parts I need to consolize this mvs board but I'm still missing the joystick, av cable and my unibios. Hopefully I'll have it all by next weekend so I can get this project started. This came in the mail today though... never knew how hilariously huge MVS carts are but jeebus. It's a 150 in 1

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Sorry for not thread related discussion, but someone in here asked me a while ago to let them know when I got back home because they wanted my massive SCSI CD drive that's the size of a tank, and I don't remember who you are.

Also got a NES N8 yessss time to see if these wrecked rear end NES guts still work.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I got Super Mario Kart and Gran Turismo 1 a couple days ago. :dance:

I still think the SNES and N64 Mariokarts are still the best in the series and the later ones shifted the focus from skill based racing with items to being a item-spam fest with success totally depending on luck.

Gran Turismo 1 is 90s as gently caress and still a blast to play. I feel the series has gotten more sterile as time went on. Nothing beats flinging a Viper around corners on Special Stage Route 5 while Losing Control by Ash or As Heaven is Wide is playing.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I totally forgot Gran Turismo had a kickinrad 90s soundtrack. I may have to pick that up sometime just for the novelty.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

:krad:

likw1d posted:

For any of you dudes who have done the S-video MOD on a SNES Mini, did you guys use 75 ohm resistors (recommended in the guide) on chroma and luma? I went to RadioShack and they didn't have 75 ohm resistors so I grabbed 68ohm do you think that would be sufficient? I also have 100ohm and 150ohm(which I grabbed for RGB).

No probably not. Go online and buy the right ones.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jun 15, 2013

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Starhawk64 posted:

I still think the SNES and N64 Mariokarts are still the best in the series and the later ones shifted the focus from skill based racing with items to being a item-spam fest with success totally depending on luck.
If you haven't played Mario Kart Super Circuit on the GBA, you should try that one. It plays a lot like the original and actually focuses on the racing, so your driving skill actually matters. Unfortunately the blue shell is still included, but you don't get hit with one of those that often and even when you do, you can usually recover pretty well.

I definitely prefer the early Mario Kart games to the later ones as well. The one that's coming out on the Wii U next year looks decent and all, but it just doesn't seem to have anything to do with the original games and that's kind of a shame. Maybe I'm just getting too old to understand these newfangled games the kids play nowadays. :corsair:

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Starhawk64 posted:

Gran Turismo 1 is 90s as gently caress and still a blast to play. I feel the series has gotten more sterile as time went on. Nothing beats flinging a Viper around corners on Special Stage Route 5 while Losing Control by Ash or As Heaven is Wide is playing.

I'd venture to say that Gran Turismo didn't get "sterile" until GT4. 1-3 are still a blast to play, but something shifted, and the series just got super boring to me.

midwest ink
Aug 12, 2007
black magic, you say?

I had a great day at the flea market today. I picked this lot up for :10bux:.

Don't know if the sega cd works but I already have a working model 2 so no biggie if it doesn't. Needless to say, I about lost my poo poo when I saw Earthbound in the box of random video game poo poo and the guy told me he had no idea what any of the stuff was. Not pictured is the Splatterhouse I picked up for the turbografx 16 for :20bux:

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Starhawk64 posted:

Gran Turismo 1 is 90s as gently caress

Because of this line alone, Gran Turismo 1 is now on my bucket list of games to buy and try out if I find it for a dollar.

Anyone have any more suggestions for other games that are :krad: 90's :megaman: as :megaman: gently caress? :krad:

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

midwest ink posted:

I had a great day at the flea market today. I picked this lot up for :10bux:.

Don't know if the sega cd works but I already have a working model 2 so no biggie if it doesn't. Needless to say, I about lost my poo poo when I saw Earthbound in the box of random video game poo poo and the guy told me he had no idea what any of the stuff was. Not pictured is the Splatterhouse I picked up for the turbografx 16 for :20bux:

Nice! If the scd doesn't work I can probably help walk you through fixing it

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

fatpat268 posted:

I'd venture to say that Gran Turismo didn't get "sterile" until GT4. 1-3 are still a blast to play, but something shifted, and the series just got super boring to me.

Hmm, come to think of it GT4 was when they started being obsessed with feature bloat and badly designed menus. GT5 is a not a bad game, but holy gently caress could the menus and load times be any worse. In GT1 and GT3 I could buy a new car, and get it completely souped up in less than 30 secs. In GT5 it takes at least 5min. GT2 had the same problems as GT5, bad menus and terrible loading times, and one top of that, you had PS1 graphics to contend with. GT1 actually looks better than GT2, at least in my opinion.

Also, cars in GT1-3 were way much looser and much more fun to drive. GT1 might as well be Ridge Racer in all but name in when compared to GT5 where understeer is king.

Yes, GT1 is still the best in the series in my book when it comes to fun factor. Once you get the stupid license tests out of the way first. :v:

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

EDIT: Double post.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jun 17, 2013

midwest ink
Aug 12, 2007
black magic, you say?

flyboi posted:

Thanks, if it does work I am contemplating hooking up my 32x to my model 1 Genesis and sega cd to make the Sega Tower of Power!

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

flyboi posted:

As someone with a broken sega cd, I'd be interested in that. The door doesn't open and it has kind of a rattling noise inside. Caveat:If it involves soldering I'm out.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Ambitious Spider posted:

As someone with a broken sega cd, I'd be interested in that. The door doesn't open and it has kind of a rattling noise inside. Caveat:If it involves soldering I'm out.

Easy fix! You need to replace the belt on the drive. Let me find my guide...

No soldering required at all. Just need a lowes

Edit:

It's a really simple fix and requires a thin 1" o-ring you can get at Lowe's for less than a buck. Here's a video that shows how to replace them http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJJyELdj6t4

This is the o-ring I used http://www.lowes.com/pd_200838-72906-SC0578_0__?productId=3142033&Ntt=o-ring+1%22&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Do-ring%2B1%2522&facetInfo=

flyboi fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 16, 2013

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

flyboi posted:

Easy fix! You need to replace the belt on the drive. Let me find my guide...

No soldering required at all. Just need a lowes

Edit:

It's a really simple fix and requires a thin 1" o-ring you can get at Lowe's for less than a buck. Here's a video that shows how to replace them http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJJyELdj6t4

This is the o-ring I used http://www.lowes.com/pd_200838-72906-SC0578_0__?productId=3142033&Ntt=o-ring+1%22&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Do-ring%2B1%2522&facetInfo=

Thanks. That'll be my next project.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Re: Gran Turismo.

I remember when my friend got a PS2 and brought it over to my place to show it off. He loaded up GT3 and I just remember thinking "wow, this is so realistic, how can you even get graphics any better then this".

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

I'm trying to remember the name of a computer game. The point of the game is to subvert the narrative. You going to work and find yourself all alone while the narrator describes what you're doing in real-time and at some points tells you what you should do. If you don't do what he says and bad things that can happen and he mocks you for not listeniing. The one particular example of this that I remember is there is a countdown until a bomb is going to explode after you find your supervisors office and realize that everyone is being watched on camera and if you don't escape the way the narrator tells you to the countdown continues and he mocks as the countdown timer goes down to zero. I know that I've watched the whole game play of the game on YouTube, but can't remember the name of it now. Any ideas what I'm talking about?

Pikachu
Feb 6, 2010

DANGER DANGER
HIGH VOLTAGE

Kloaked00 posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of a computer game. The point of the game is to subvert the narrative. You going to work and find yourself all alone while the narrator describes what you're doing in real-time and at some points tells you what you should do. If you don't do what he says and bad things that can happen and he mocks you for not listeniing. The one particular example of this that I remember is there is a countdown until a bomb is going to explode after you find your supervisors office and realize that everyone is being watched on camera and if you don't escape the way the narrator tells you to the countdown continues and he mocks as the countdown timer goes down to zero. I know that I've watched the whole game play of the game on YouTube, but can't remember the name of it now. Any ideas what I'm talking about?

The Stanley Parable. Not sure I would call a Half-Life 2 mod retro, though :v:

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Anatidaephobia posted:

The Stanley Parable. Not sure I would call a Half-Life 2 mod retro, though :v:

Yup, that's exactly it. And yeah, I know it's not exactly retro gaming, but this was the best thread I saw on the first few pages to get my question. Thanks!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

ohnoitschris posted:

Anyone have any more suggestions for other games that are :krad: 90's :megaman: as :megaman: gently caress? :krad:
Rock N' Roll Racing on the SNES is pretty drat 90s. Just check out this title screen and the character portraits!

The music isn't very 90s though, it's mostly late 60s/early 70s stuff like Paranoid, Highway Star and Born to Be Wild. I remember a review actually complaining about that when the game was new; they thought the music was too old and not cool enough and that Nirvana would have been much better. It would certainly have made this the most 90s game.

It's a really fun game too (plays kinda like RC Pro Am), although it does get repetitive after a while and the cars and tracks themselves aren't very interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pikachu
Feb 6, 2010

DANGER DANGER
HIGH VOLTAGE

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

The music isn't very 90s though, it's mostly late 60s/early 70s stuff like Paranoid, Highway Star and Born to Be Wild. I remember a review actually complaining about that when the game was new; they thought the music was too old and not cool enough and that Nirvana would have been much better. It would certainly have made this the most 90s game.

Thank god they didn't, though

I gotta get my hands on this game one day

• Locked thread