Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I always sorted my records by genre, then maybe occasionally alphabetized by artist. I'm so used to that, I don't think I'd be able to find everything if it was all by artist. Then you need to be able to remember all those band names.

Only problem is, I noticed at one point that my collection was basically segregated along racial lines. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

Wilbur Swain posted:

Do it from the beginning.

Yeah, I really wish I had. Unfortunately the collection was spread across two houses and there was a few mass aquisitions along the way. I don't think much order would have survived the move regardless.

Wilbur Swain posted:

V/A slash Miscellaneous

Oh yeah that's the other problem, I probably have at least a few hundred VA/SFX/NonMusic/Production. No matter what I do I guess I'll always have a pretty big chunk of (?)

What do you guys do with soundtracks? I was thinking of lumping them together too.

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Ron Burgundy posted:

What do you guys do with soundtracks? I was thinking of lumping them together too.

Yes, lump soundtracks. The good thing about most of that miscellaneous stuff is that you will hardly ever listen to it, so trying to find it is not such an issue.

Lump everything that can be lumped.

Wilbur Swain fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jun 15, 2013

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I sort my soundtracks by artist name amongst all my other records. I am still not sure if I like it that way though.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

For me, it depends on whether the soundtrack is primarily a single artist or not. The More Soundtrack gets sorted under P. The FM soundtrack (many different artists) gets sorted with Various. My brain's a little fried, so I'm stretching for an example where there's something that is primarily one artist, but not wholly, and all I can think of is Tron (Wendy Carlos except for two tracks from Journey), which I'd file under C if I owned a copy on vinyl.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Ron Burgundy posted:

Maybe the trick is going all or nothing!

This, basically (unfortunately).

Or do it in pieces: Alphabetize half of your collection at one time, then go filling in the rest. The trick is to have a large enough portion of it done where you can then add to the "organized part" as opposed to trying to make sense where there isn't any. It's sort of like how cleaning a super messy room becomes easier the more progress is made.

Alphabetizing LPs is one of those long-rear end jobs that you kind of have to just grin and bear. I recommend getting (responsibly) tarted up on your intoxicant/drug of choice, cranking some tunes, and just diving in.

Ron Burgundy posted:

My collection's lumped into categories and then alphabetized by artist/composer within each category. So I've got rock/rap/pop/r&b/etc. in one main category (basically whatever I'm probably going to listen to most often- roughly 3/4 of my collection), then a category for jazz, a category for classical/orchestral/vocal/opera (second largest), then Latin American/Spanish language stuff (thanks Mom & Dad!), then a category for film soundtracks, one for theater soundtracks (one of my majors was in theater so I've got a surprisingly large number of these), one for comedy/spoken word, and finally miscellaneous. The only category with alphabetical dividers is the main one, since the others aren't massive enough to require them- though I've got a set of ten blank cardboard ones that I plan to use to differentiate the various genres at some point :effort:.

If something could belong in two categories, I pick whatever makes more sense- so Purple Rain's under 'P' in the rock/pop category even though it's technically a film soundtrack and the Return of the Jedi soundtrack is in "film soundtracks" despite being classical.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Why not just put soundtracks all together? That makes more sense.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

I go with bands alphabetical and the albums in chronological order. works for me with everything together.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Does anyone know a good place to buy Portugal. The Man albums for reasonable prices? Apparently people give a poo poo about them now and the LPs are becoming difficult to get.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

Personperson14 posted:

I go with bands alphabetical and the albums in chronological order. works for me with everything together.

How does anyone NOT do this? No matter if you have 5 records or 5000, this is the only thing that makes sense.

I put soundtracks in with artist (Williams, John - Star Wars or Explosions in the Sky - Friday Night Lights) unless it's a collection of different artists in which case it goes with compilations (also sorted alphabetically by title).

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
Would artists alphabetical then albums aphabetical not make more sense?

Beatles, The
- Abbey Road
- Beatles, The
- Bealtes for Sale

etc...

Otherwise you have to look up the date for each album you own.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Ron Burgundy posted:

Would artists alphabetical then albums aphabetical not make more sense?

Beatles, The
- Abbey Road
- Beatles, The
- Bealtes for Sale

etc...

Well I guess if you're a peasant that can't go to Wikipedia for five seconds it would be okay.

Also if you only have one album by and artist you don't have to worry about it, you just put it where it would go.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Ron Burgundy posted:

I usually know this off the top of my head, or at least know what order the albums were released which is why I find it easier to group the artists alphabetically and then the albums in order of release (although in the case of live albums or live bootlegs I group those in according to when they were recorded). :spergin:

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

Only a fraction of every record made is even on discogs.

Ron Burgundy fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jun 15, 2013

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

Ron Burgundy posted:

Only a fraction of every record made is even on discogs.

Well I hope you don't own every record ever made then.

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

Why bother? How much time do you save finding a record by alphabetizing by title or organizing by release date? God save me from anal retentive music fans (assuming that you all are actually music fans, which is not a safe assumption at all).

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

Wilbur Swain posted:

Organization is for squares and none of you actually like music.

Yeah why bother with anything, lets just take all our records out of the sleeves and stack them next to the turntable. Who cares since I listen to records I must not like music and just fetishize the experience of listening to records.

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

Personperson14 posted:

Yeah why bother with anything, lets just take all our records out of the sleeves and stack them next to the turntable. Who cares since I listen to records I must not like music and just fetishize the experience of listening to records.

reductio ad absurdum, a classic fallacy. I already advocated alphabetizing by artist.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I organise my artists chronologically but I don't think it would really matter if I didn't. The most I've got from one artist is like 15 and I wouldn't be bothered if I had to look for an extra 3 seconds for an album. But obviously as a fan of the band I pretty much know when all their poo poo was released anyway (which is why I bother to sort it)

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I've never actually heard music and only have a vague concept of what it is.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

CPL593H posted:

Why not just put soundtracks all together? That makes more sense.
Except soundtracks for concert movies, those are located with the band's other releases.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

CPL593H posted:

Does anyone know a good place to buy Portugal. The Man albums for reasonable prices? Apparently people give a poo poo about them now and the LPs are becoming difficult to get.

Seriously? I honestly had no idea they were still around but according to wikipedia they've released 6 albums since I last saw them. drat.

I sort my records alphabetically (then chronologically) and I throw my soundtracks right into the fray by movie title. I don't give a gently caress. Moon in between Modest Mouse and Most Precious Blood, call a cop.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Wilbur Swain posted:

Why bother? How much time do you save finding a record by alphabetizing by title or organizing by release date? God save me from anal retentive music fans (assuming that you all are actually music fans, which is not a safe assumption at all).

Because it's easier to look for a record by where it should be within a particular section (in this case, an artist's section) than to gently caress around going back and forth, missing it because your brain decided to not see it for some unknown reason, cursing your age and failing eyesight. Let's take, for example, someone who's into Dylan. Not even an obsessive, who's going to have an ungodly number of bootlegs and obscurities. Let's say they've got one copy each of all his studio records and live records up through the 80s. A quick hop to wikipedia tells me that means we stop at Oh Mercy and have 26 studio albums and five live ones. Now, if you want to find John Wesley Harding in there and it's not between Nashville Skyline and Blonde on Blonde (or Infidels and Knocked Out Loaded, if that's your scene) then it's just going to be a giant pain in the rear end. Sure, it's less than a foot of shelf space, but why make things harder than they need to be?

VVVV e: Well, whatever blows your hair back, man. I'm not trying to judge, I just think an organized collection makes more sense.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jun 15, 2013

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

I have about thirty John Coltrane records, but my favorite is Ascension, so that one is at the near edge. That's how I organize my records within a single artist.

Hey guys, when you combine being super fussy about organization with being super sensitive to criticism it makes you a gigantic nerd, hth.

Wilbur Swain fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jun 15, 2013

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I reorganize my records daily based around what I'm wearing. I start with one section that's closest in color to what ever I have on, then it goes in descending order of similarity in color. It's a painstaking process but I think it's worth it.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

CPL593H posted:

I reorganize my records daily based around what I'm wearing. I start with one section that's closest in color to what ever I have on, then it goes in descending order of similarity in color. It's a painstaking process but I think it's worth it.

Is this why you don't like colored vinyl? I could see that further complicating things.

The end of my shelf is a random assortment of about 20 albums I frequently listen to that I'm too lazy to put back in the right spot. I actually had to move all my records last night because my ceiling started to leak. It's all fixed now, but I completely rearranged my apartment so that my record player and records are nowhere near the spot that leaked.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Ron Burgundy posted:

I put them under "S" and then alpha by title. Same with various artist compilations (except under "V").

Also, Garfield laughs at you.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

A bunch of adults posted:

The least necessary argument ever.

There are moments when I love the vinyl thread and then there are moments when I seriously love the vinyl thread. :allears:

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

CPL593H posted:

I got American Ghetto and The Satanic Satanist at Best Buy online of all places. I also tested out buying a backordered item and they still got it to me. They all came in LP mailers and all. A++++++ Would buy again.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
My records are not organized at all. For instance, I have Green Day next to Morrissey next to Metallica next to the Police next to AC/DC next to Blue Zoo next to Lou Reed next to Gnarls Barkley next to M. Ward next to the Psychedelic Furs next to Green Day again next to Bellafonte...

I'm sure there's a logic to it all, but I have no loving clue. It's just madness.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

I started to organize alphabetically but realized I didn't want certain things mixed. For instance, in my expedit, I have a square that holds all of the beat up old dad rock that I stole from my parents. It's in no order. In another box, I have new stuff I've purchased of bands that I have multiple albums of. Another box hold new stuff from bands that I only have a single album. Some of that is a clump of releases from a certain label.

My poo poo doesn't make any sense really but at least I have a general idea where something would be. I should alpha them but I'd rather not have all that dad rock mixed because honestly, I don't really know everything I have in the dept. and I wouldn't even come across it unless I knew what I was looking for.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Cemetry Gator posted:

I have Green Day

This is really the most questionable thing about what you said.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

CPL593H posted:

This is really the most questionable thing about what you said.

Hey, Dookie was a part of my childhood. I almost bought a copy recently for the novelty of it and my girlfriend said "how often are you realistically going to listen to that?" And I realized it would be never.

I left it there you guys. I'm the worst collector.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

Hey, Dookie was a part of my childhood. I almost bought a copy recently for the novelty of it and my girlfriend said "how often are you realistically going to listen to that?" And I realized it would be never.

Not buying a Green Day album is always the correct decision.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

Becoming "the worst collector" is a normal and beneficial part of growing up as the initial novelty of the hobby wears off. There are a few stupid "ooh, interesting pretty record!" purchases sitting in my Expedit that I bought years ago that I have yet to really listen to, and probably won't.

I don't own a physical copy of The Terror (Spotify!) and I don't really ever plan on buying one. There was a time, however, where the thought of passing up a major Flaming Lips release (and a colored one, at that) was anathema to me.

Part of it is understanding that there's always more cool vinyl out there that I'd rather spend money on, and part of it is having started grad school. The once-independent pools of "vinyl money" and "weed and beer money" have merged and shrunk so I have to be a bit choosier with my battles.

CPL593H posted:

Also this.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

CPL593H posted:

I have their entire discography and I only started backfilling it around the time of Satanic Satanist, and most were bought either at my local store (they tended to keep copies of their more popular stuff in stock) or through their Merchnow store.

It's Complicated Being a Wizard and Evil Friends are both on their official site. The latter just came out so your shop might have it. Censored Colors, Satanic Satanist, American Ghetto and In the Mountain, In the Cloud come in a bundle or individually on the above Merchnow link. Majestic Majesty (acoustic SS) is available there too but they had pressing issues leading to distortion so I don't know if that's resolved with this run.

Church Mouth and Waiter, I found at my store. You can probably get lucky with Merchdirect on CM, and just keep looking for deals on Waiter.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

CPL593H posted:

Insomniac is one of my favorite albums. And Kerplunk is pretty cool. In fact, everything was cool up until 21st Century Breakdown, when Billy Joe took his Kinks obsession to the next logical point: the 70s concept album phase. Didn't he learn the first time around when it totally sucked?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Cemetry Gator posted:

Insomniac is one of my favorite albums. And Kerplunk is pretty cool. In fact, everything was cool up until 21st Century Breakdown, when Billy Joe took his Kinks obsession to the next logical point: the 70s concept album phase. Didn't he learn the first time around when it totally sucked?

You mean with American Idiot (which he called a "rock opera"-and sucked) or when the Kinks did it?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Becoming "the worst collector" is a normal and beneficial part of growing up as the initial novelty of the hobby wears off. There are a few stupid "ooh, interesting pretty record!" purchases sitting in my Expedit that I bought years ago that I have yet to really listen to, and probably won't.

I had this moment when I realized that despite all the vinyl that I bought there were still only a handful getting heavy rotation. I'd much rather have a record I'm going to listen to hundreds of times than a shockingly colored vinyl or a kitschy title from the dollar bin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Cloks posted:

I had this moment when I realized that despite all the vinyl that I bought there were still only a handful getting heavy rotation. I'd much rather have a record I'm going to listen to hundreds of times than a shockingly colored vinyl or a kitschy title from the dollar bin.

Tangentially related to this concept... what's the rationale for the current trend of 2xLP album releases? I sort of understand the value of 45rpm albums, but I've got three or four albums where it's simply 4 sides with 3 or 4 songs on a side. I never got into 7" for just about this reason, and it means I have legitimately great albums that I almost never play on my turntable.