Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Feels like forever since we had a Foldable Ideas video. Here's his review of "The Last Airbender"

http://blip.tv/foldablehuman/s3e4-the-last-airbender-6603156

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
http://thecinemasnob.com/2013/06/12/midnight-screening-this-is-the-end.aspx
http://thecinemasnob.com/2013/06/14/midnight-screening-man-of-steel.aspx

drat I did not expect Brad and his friends to hate Man of Steel, one of the first time I have disagreed with his opinion on a movie. Then again a lot of people are making GBS threads on Man of Steel it seems.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Nothing makes the Internet go to poo poo faster than a divisive superhero movie. I'll be avoiding all Superman threads for the next month or so.

Speaking of Man of Steel, uh, I don't think JesuOtaku was a big fan :stare:

https://twitter.com/JesuOtaku

Benne fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jun 15, 2013

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Benne posted:

Speaking of Man of Steel, uh, I don't think JesuOtaku was a big fan :stare:

https://twitter.com/JesuOtaku
How do you write a dozen twits on the same subject without realizing that twitter may not be the best platform for communicating... anything?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Xander77 posted:

How do you write a dozen twits on the same subject without realizing that twitter may not be the best platform for communicating... anything?

To be fair, everyone does this on twitter.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
You'd think a girl who's bread and butter is anime wouldn't mind a hero who spends the first half of the movie 'moping' and then punches things.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

It seems like every TGWTG critic sans Joe did not like Man Of Steel, which is their opinion of course, but I thought it would have a better reception.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I'm not surprised MoS is divisive, but I'm surprised at the venom. Even for internet reviewers it seems a little thick.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I do enjoy the same people whining about Avengers and Iron Man and such being all action and no emotion now whining about Superman being portrayed as a dude with some pretty huge identity and loss issues he has to work out.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I do enjoy the same people whining about Avengers and Iron Man and such being all action and no emotion now whining about Superman being portrayed as a dude with some pretty huge identity and loss issues he has to work out.

Well I guess that's one way to grossly oversimplify an argument.

...no, seriously though, I haven't seen MoS yet. I think at this point I'm waiting for RedBox. I just want it not to suck as much as Returns did.

But it's rather obvious to me that just because someone feels MoS is too broody for its own good doesn't mean a movie that is nothing but explosions giving birth to explosions is automatically better to them. Or that because they're okay with an introspective anime means they must automatically be okay with a brooding Superman film. Execution is key. And frankly, the expectation of a Superman film is that he actually does something. My fear is that they're just trying to look at what works for Batman and graft it onto Superman as a way to jumpstart a dead IP. Of course, I obviously can't confirm this until I watch it. For all I know, maybe the movie did add some weight to the character and this is more wailing and gnashing of teeth over the new approach.

So, have you seen the movie to give you the justification to immediately start trashing people that have seen the movie and found it lacking?

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

achillesforever6 posted:

It seems like every TGWTG critic sans Joe did not like Man Of Steel, which is their opinion of course, but I thought it would have a better reception.

I'm strongly reminded of when Avatar came out and it was Brad Jones v. everyone else.

A little outside of the TGWTG crew, MovieBob also didn't particularly like Man of Steel on balance; he indirectly compares it to Dark Knight Rises, which I don't quite remember internet critics writing off as a failure quite as much as he implies.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Slate Action posted:

A little outside of the TGWTG crew, MovieBob also didn't particularly like Man of Steel on balance; he indirectly compares it to Dark Knight Rises, which I don't quite remember internet critics writing off as a failure quite as much as he implies.

Considering he spent his last episode of the Big Picture praising the original Superman as a peerless classic of superhero movies, nay, a timeless classic of movies in general, I'm not surprised that he's trying so hard to like the new one despite the apparent revulsion seemingly everybody else is reacting to the movie with. (he also did this with Rises, if I recall)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Lindsay mentioned on Twitter earlier that she is on an indefinite hiatus from Internet videos for awhile. She didn't go into details.

rjryan3
Oct 10, 2012
I don't think the TGWTG crew are alone with their opinions on Man of Steel.

rjryan3 fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jun 15, 2013

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Rebochan posted:

Well I guess that's one way to grossly oversimplify an argument.

...no, seriously though, I haven't seen MoS yet. I think at this point I'm waiting for RedBox. I just want it not to suck as much as Returns did.

But it's rather obvious to me that just because someone feels MoS is too broody for its own good doesn't mean a movie that is nothing but explosions giving birth to explosions is automatically better to them. Or that because they're okay with an introspective anime means they must automatically be okay with a brooding Superman film. Execution is key. And frankly, the expectation of a Superman film is that he actually does something. My fear is that they're just trying to look at what works for Batman and graft it onto Superman as a way to jumpstart a dead IP. Of course, I obviously can't confirm this until I watch it. For all I know, maybe the movie did add some weight to the character and this is more wailing and gnashing of teeth over the new approach.

So, have you seen the movie to give you the justification to immediately start trashing people that have seen the movie and found it lacking?

Man of Steel is engendering a very polarized love it or hate it reaction. I personally don't see how people could hate it as much as they do. It's not trying to graft what worked for Batman onto Superman at all. Personally You should be able to tell from the trailers whether you want to wait for video or see it in theaters.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
A new vlog: Spoony's brother Miles liked Man of Steel. His reward is getting yelled at for seventy minutes.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

FlamingLiberal posted:

Lindsay mentioned on Twitter earlier that she is on an indefinite hiatus from Internet videos for awhile. She didn't go into details.
Ahw that is a drat shame, I really liked her stuff.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
This is gonna be a :words: kinda post.

I'm tired of how these critics are going on about how Man of Steel is too grim and dark. Hey, you remember Superman Returns? How it tried to be that kind of old-school Superman with Richard Donner and Christopher Reves and ended up a mediocre mess? There's a reason why: we're too callous for it. Moviegoers circa '78 was on a sugar high thanks to Star Wars a year earlier and wanted more of that same kind of fantasy. America now is in the thick of so many different scandals and controversies that we've become numb and downright disdainful of "Truth, Justice, and the American Way". We ate that patriotism up after 9/11 but after Afghanistan and Iraq turned into quagmires we gotten sick of it. And the problems compounded: New Orleans flooding, the housing crisis plunging us into a deep recession we still haven't crawled out of, and the repeated political scandals involving government overreach into our liberties and rights. You tell me why American audiences now want an idealized Superman.

And that's the point of Snyder's film. It's more brooding and grim because the fact is if the space messiah came down to earth, we'd crucify the poor bastard in an instant. Man of Steel shows a conflicted Kal El and casts a stark reflection on us as audiences: how we're too suspicious and outright belligerent to the notion of the Superman to begin with. It's much more Smallville because it appeals to the current zeitgeist. It's like that moment in Watchmen where the actor goes "God is real and he is an American": if you don't have a reaction of revulsion or at least fear then you're insane. This film wasn't perfect: Snyder indulges so much in the action scenes and the collateral damage that it induces sensory overload. This needed another short moment of not so much levity but drama would've given us time enough to breathe and the film time enough to re-contextualize Superman's reason why he's fighting. But levity wasn't the right answer.

Really I'm hearing one of three things from these critics: it's not camp, it's too Nolan, and I've still have a grudge against Snyder. I hated Sucker Punch too but I like to give people the benefit of the doubt. Warner/DC are reverse-engineering Nolan's trilogy but they're working with what they have right now and all that's left is Nolan, Goyer, and Snyder. They don't have the time or resources to expand and Man of Steel had to be out yesterday. And need I remind you that Batman Begins was too Burton as well. Nolan's influence was necessary for this film if only to keep Snyder in check. The way I see it, JO's still not over Sucker Punch and Moviebob's turned into a kind of "I was into Batman before he was :nolan:" hipster to where Man of Steel is grimdark by proxy and a pale substitute to Donner by default.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jun 16, 2013

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I remain 100% if this was anyone but Snyder there'd be at least a decent number of less bad reviews.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

stopped the video after a few minutes when he started whining on about how stupid Pacific Rim is going to be and calling people "sheep" for liking the look of it.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

achillesforever6 posted:

stopped the video after a few minutes when he started whining on about how stupid Pacific Rim is going to be and calling people "sheep" for liking the look of it.

He's having another go with people over twitter so he's in one of his mood swings again. I wonder what Miles said about the film, if he was able to say anything at all.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Benny the Snake posted:

I'm tired of how these critics are going on about how Man of Steel is too grim and dark. Hey, you remember Superman Returns? How it tried to be that kind of old-school Superman with Richard Donner and Christopher Reves and ended up a mediocre mess? There's a reason why: we're too callous for it.

No, it's because it sucked. It was a half-assed attempt to latch on to the popularity of the Donner films by weirdly grafting a new story onto the old ones but then randomly rewriting those too. The casting was terrible (aside from Kevin Spacey, who I actually thought was the better of the two movie Luthors so far), the plot was trying to pass itself off as an "homage" to Donner while pretty much just lifting his storyline whole, and oh yea...

...it was trying to be darker and modern too. In fact, that movie also spent way too much time on Superman not doing anything except floating around thinking about stuff. They spent countless minutes on Lois sort of thinking about stuff and moping. The plot twist with Lois' child was telegraphed a mile away. Also, speaking of the casting...Kate Bosworth was 23 at the time and carting around a five year old. So, are we to assume from this that she was a pregnant teen that somehow graduated from a respected four-year institution AND secured a position as a senior reporter, all as an unwed teenaged mother with apparently no a parents or anything to support her? Okay, I know this is nitpicking, but if Margot Kidder was criticized for being too "old", Bosworth was WAY too young. Also, that Superman slept with teenage Lois, then abandoned her without even considering for a moment that she could have had a child? Superdeadbeat!

The tone of the film really WAS trying to be more "mature". The Snyder film seems to be saying "Well, we just didn't go far enough! MOAR GRIT!". Well, at least that's what the marketing wants me to think. I dunno, I liked Iron Man 3 and largely because it felt like the anti-Dark Knight Rises (trolling ad campaign aside.)

Now, enough derailing to talk about Man of Steel and more internet critic stuff.

rjryan3
Oct 10, 2012

Benny the Snake posted:

I'm pretty sure we have a Man of Steel thread in the CD forum. If you want to whine about how critics (which need to be reminded it's not just the internet critics who have mixed feelings about it) don't understand the film, go over there.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Couldn't it possible for a person to not like something and NOT have an ulterior motive?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

poparena posted:

Couldn't it possible for a person to not like something and NOT have an ulterior motive?

Nope. Anyone who doesn't love Man of Steel is actually just a Montgomery Ward stock holder. Should have got in on that Sears stock when the getting was good, haters.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

Benny the Snake posted:

I hated Sucker Punch too but I like to give people the benefit of the doubt.[...] The way I see it, JO's still not over Sucker Punch[..]

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I remain 100% if this was anyone but Snyder there'd be at least a decent number of less bad reviews.
"Sucker Punch" was Zack Snyder's pet project, which he not only directed but co-wrote the screenplay, wrote the original story treatment for, and co-produced with his wife under his own production company (Cruel and Unusual Films). It was severely misguided, deeply offensive, and read like something that was made by a sheltered nerd who has no idea what these strange things called 'women' are. Snyder had an enormous amount of creative control over it, and it was something he'd wanted to make for years. He had an opportunity most directors would kill for, an $80 million budget, and decided to make pandering bullshit. Supposedly his preferred cut was even worse than what ended up in theaters, had something like five song-and-dance numbers, and Warner Bros. forced him to make massive cuts so it would at least be semi-watchable.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I suspect it has something to do with wrapping up the 50 Shades of Green project.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Robert Denby posted:

"Sucker Punch" was Zack Snyder's pet project, which he not only directed but co-wrote the screenplay, wrote the original story treatment for, and co-produced with his wife under his own production company (Cruel and Unusual Films). It was severely misguided, deeply offensive, and read like something that was made by a sheltered nerd who has no idea what these strange things called 'women' are. Snyder had an enormous amount of creative control over it, and it was something he'd wanted to make for years. He had an opportunity most directors would kill for, an $80 million budget, and decided to make pandering bullshit. Supposedly his preferred cut was even worse than what ended up in theaters, had something like five song-and-dance numbers, and Warner Bros. forced him to make massive cuts so it would at least be semi-watchable.

But-But-But the subversion of the way we sexualize women in media via action instead of sex!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Robert Denby posted:

Sorry I meant Man of Steel by that comment, Sucker Punch is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. My bad, that wasn't clear.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Gyges posted:

Nope. Anyone who doesn't love Man of Steel is actually just a Montgomery Ward stock holder. Should have got in on that Sears stock when the getting was good, haters.

....my god, I haven't heard someone talk about Montgomery ward in like 15 years. Thanks for making me feel old :argh:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
That Zach Snyder sure is a pretty good internet critic.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RtSGFryKwo
Angry Joe interviewed Major Nelson. Basically Joe ran into him and got the interview, rather than scheduling it which is probably why Nelson gets defensive in it and is pretty nice since Joe didn't have a press pass.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

achillesforever6 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RtSGFryKwo
Angry Joe interviewed Major Nelson. Basically Joe ran into him and got the interview, rather than scheduling it which is probably why Nelson gets defensive in it and is pretty nice since Joe didn't have a press pass.

Joe's still pretty scattershot as an interviewer, but he's definitely learned and improved since that time he got embarrassed by Geoff Keighley and made a pouty video about it to soothe his ego.

(Also, Joe's got 750,000+ Youtube subscribers now. Has he stealthily become the most successful TGWTG member?)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Slate Action posted:

(Also, Joe's got 750,000+ Youtube subscribers now. Has he stealthily become the most successful TGWTG member?)
I have no idea how that happened.

Then again PewDiePie has like 8 million, so.....

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011
I maintain Joe can actually make a good point or two when he isn't being a complete manchild and the living embodiment of gamers.txt.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

achillesforever6 posted:

Wow, I tried to keep my eyes open for people like him at E3. Best I could do was Ashly and Anthony Burch...who are not internet critics.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Rebochan posted:

Wow, I tried to keep my eyes open for people like him at E3. Best I could do was Ashly and Anthony Burch...who are not internet critics.

But they are also completely awesome :allears:

I dunno if anyone else has this problem but any time I get linked to AngryJoe's stuff I can't get through a minute or two of it because I get really annoyed with how slow he talks.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

achillesforever6 posted:

You were not kidding when you said whining. Also, he stated that it was "Transformers 4" so when it comes out, if it is good, are we going to get a retraction, or a double down?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

PassTheRemote posted:

You were not kidding when you said whining. Also, he stated that it was "Transformers 4" so when it comes out, if it is good, are we going to get a retraction, or a double down?
He has to be trolling with that, does he seriously think that Del Toro is as bad as Bay in making movies about Giant Robots?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I've kind of given up on Spoony for things that aren't Counter Monkeys.

• Locked thread