Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Unbound posted:

On another thought, how practical is a solid melee build? I've always been more of a berserker in rougelike games. The bows and guns are fun, but there's just something about being surrounded by zombies while wielding a lead pipe.
The secret to a melee build is dodge. You need to engage with enemies judiciously at the beginning, taking advantage of terrain so that they don't overwhelm you, but not so carefully that they never actually get a chance to attack you - if you maneuver so cunningly that you don't actually get attacked, your dodge skill isn't exercised, and dodge is what will eventually wade into a horde of zombies without being torn to shreds.

Once it gets up around ten, you're free and clear regarding everything but robots/turrets. For those, you may want to carry around one of the weirdo pistols, 5.6 or 4.7mm or whatever they are. Both the gun and the ammo is rare, but the ammo come in stacks of 100 and has great armor penetration, and the gun only takes up 2 volume in your inventory, which isn't bad for something you're barely going to be using.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Don't bother with ammo reloading. Without a source of extra primers and gunpowder (there are basically none) trying to reuse ammo casings is 100% pointless. The best thing you can reasonably do with ammo tools is to disassemble and reassemble 9mm all day to train firearms skill, that's it. Or if you just happen to have 9mm and need .38 or something, you can do that, but honestly 9mm is the only ammo that can be reliably scavenged up to be worth bothering with.

I wonder if it would be doable to make 9mm pipe smgs and rig them into homemade turrets just to destroy them for the change at more 9mm ammo.

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009

nftyw posted:

Don't bother with ammo reloading. Without a source of extra primers and gunpowder (there are basically none) trying to reuse ammo casings is 100% pointless. The best thing you can reasonably do with ammo tools is to disassemble and reassemble 9mm all day to train firearms skill, that's it. Or if you just happen to have 9mm and need .38 or something, you can do that, but honestly 9mm is the only ammo that can be reliably scavenged up to be worth bothering with.

I wonder if it would be doable to make 9mm pipe smgs and rig them into homemade turrets just to destroy them for the change at more 9mm ammo.

Ammo reloading has its uses, mainly improving your ammo. Turning birdshot into 00, 9mm into +P+, that kind of thing. Besides, you can get plenty of gunpowder for all those 9mm rounds you'll find on turrets and with .22 being as plentiful a it is useless (provided you're not playing dynamic), you have a good supply of both small pistol and small rifle primers, which can then be used to reload those fancy 5.6 and 4.7 rounds.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

.22 ammo has a good use, training via plinking! Grab a .22 pistol/rifle and a heap of ammo and go out and just shoot it off in the middle of nowhere to build up your skill with the weapon class.

At least this worked in the old XP system.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Hm. That's annoying. They added the recipe to make broth from bones, but you can't use bone broth to make soups.

Galm
Oct 31, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

.22 ammo has a good use, training via plinking! Grab a .22 pistol/rifle and a heap of ammo and go out and just shoot it off in the middle of nowhere to build up your skill with the weapon class.

At least this worked in the old XP system.
It works even better with the new focus system; you'll always have at least some focus so you'll never worry about wasting ammo.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
A little tip: Bags of beef jerky contain 3 servings, and take up one volume apiece. Beef jerky itself, either crafted or 'unloaded' from bags, takes up one volume per hundred servings, which I'm fairly certain is the densest form of nutrition the game has to offer in addition to lasting forever.

Basically, jerky is amazing, and you should pick up every bottle of salt water you find ever.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
So apparently if your Electronics skill level is at least 9 you can now disassemble CBM Alloy plating of any kind and convert it to any other kind. Neato.

Majestic
Mar 19, 2004

Don't listen to us!

We're fuckwits!!
Someone suggested upthread that monster types should change with the seasons. As many others have pointed out, the game is amazing but you rapidly run out of things to do. If Winter was significantly more difficult for a range of reasons (tougher monsters, less wildlife to eat, harder to get water), then preparing for winter would give you a nice objective to work towards.

If your ability to get water and food is lower, then you have to work to stock up in advance. If winter brings hordes of roaming zombies, who hunt you more actively than during the other seasons since there is less meat around, then you need to have your base/mobile base well set up and fortified. If it brings some much harder zombies that only have certain vulnerabilities (maybe some can only be killed by fire, etc), you have to prepare for that.

Some buildings that are much harder to get to but with nice rewards unavailable elsewhere would be interesting as well. Perhaps a library can only have books up to a certain level, and if you want to really develop your medical/scientific skills you need to get to a university, which is crawling with zombies.

Either way, I found the early game one of the most captivating I'd seen in a long time, but before I even reach winter I feel like I've run out of things to aim for, I'm already a super mutant with 15 implants.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
This game does suffer from the 'well... now what?' that Unreal World and a bunch of others suffer from.

Once you're established, nothing left to do. The winter having stronger beasts would be cool, but like the poster above me I'm usually already pretty insane by the time winter rolls around. I just got to winter on my latest game; full power armor, katana, longbow with a bunch of composite arrows, and a plethora of guns in my truck with tons of ammo for them, including cool energy weapons I got from labs. A ton of 40mm grenades, and a few packed LAWs.

I 'think' the answer lies in the NPCs. The missions they can give you are a good first step, but they should really get fleshed out more. If you could actually get people to join you, you could found a little village/fort or whatever. You could assign them to different jobs based on their skills, hunters, scavengers, look outs, etc. You can tell them to go with a partner or 3, or go solo, or whatever, give them equipment to use. If you've only got 1 guy scavenging off by himself, he stands a decent chance of getting killed but if there's 3 of them with katanas they'll do great. That kind of thing.

Have certain NPCs with special abilities unique to their NPC type. Doctors for example, can set and fix broken bones. Convince one to live with you and supply him with the right equipment and don't worry about navigating through a hospital with 2 broken legs again!

Some additional storyline around the quests would be nice, IE if you find enough lab research data you can start to piece together what happened a little bit better or something.

Adding in farming and the ability to make more complex construction out of concrete that can't get knocked down unless via explosives or high speed crashes - really expensive for building materials, other balancing like you can't totally wall yourself off 'tower defense rules' style - would give you something else to do to make it a more permanent shelter/town.

Then the factions in the game could be fleshed out and you could have meaningful relations with them. Piss off the group that lives in the same town as you, and now your clan and theirs fight whenever they see each other. They raid your compound at night to try and jack your stuff. Do you move, or wipe them out, or try to improve relations?

As the game progresses, groups of NPCs conglomerate together and it turns from survival/scavenging to a world rising out of the ashes of the old.

Then again this might be straying too much into a different genre.

Boats would be kind of cool, I don't really know how much use they'd be though.

Oh, a nice addition that would probably be a lot easier is some sort of power generation system (or hopefully a couple different choices - wind power fans on the roof, why not?). Hook up lights, floodlights, electric fences, that kind of thing. I'm kind of half-assing it by building a 'vehicle', slapping a headlight on pointing a direction I want lit, and turning it on and just leaving it like that.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Jun 15, 2013

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
I want to play that game.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I think that something like that was originally planned, anyway. We have an existing faction system, even if it doesn't do poo poo, and the text of many mutations implies that eventually NPCs would have enough personality to like or dislike you based on the presence of mutations, bionics or both. It doesn't exist yet, but it's probably a planned feature at some point. Maybe they could ask toady for help.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.
I just looked through a few of the headers and source files; I'm not planning on adding or changing anything, I was just curious. The source is a loving mess though; it's written competently enough, but everything is hardcoded and it honestly looks like everything was done in the hardest way possible. Take the options source for example; if you wanted to add a new option, there's a dozen places you need to add it to. I actually just wrote an options class for my own project yesterday, and adding a new option is two lines:

code:
Preferences.myNewOption = aValue;
Preferences.descriptions.myNewOption "A description goes here.";
The preferences themselves are just a lua file that gets read; their values are then stored in an unordered_map so they can be quickly retrieved by name. Of course, the full class has a lot more to it than that, as you need to do a lot of error checking, ability to save preferences, the need to abstract the unordered_map so options are only accessed through the class interface, etc., but that's all code that only needs to be written once and then can stay the same no matter how many options you add or remove. I guess what I'm trying to get at is that the Cataclysm source could be drastically made better if it made judicious use of scripting for everything from options to items.

The King of Swag fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jun 15, 2013

Garbo
May 30, 2011

The King of Swag posted:

I just looked through a few of the headers and source files; I'm not planning on adding or changing anything, I was just curious. The source is a loving mess though; it's written competently enough, but everything is hardcoded and it honestly looks like everything was done in the hardest way possible. Take the options source for example; if you wanted to add a new option, there's a dozen places you need to add it to. I actually just wrote an options class for my own project yesterday, and adding a new option is two lines:

code:
Preferences.myNewOption = aValue;
Preferences.descriptions.myNewOption "A description goes here.";
The preferences themselves are just a lua file that gets read; their values are then stored in an unordered_map so they can be quickly retrieved by name. Of course, the full class has a lot more to it than that, as you need to do a lot of error checking, ability to save preferences, the need to abstract the unordered_map so options are only accessed through the class interface, etc., but that's all code that only needs to be written once and then can stay the same no matter how many options you add or remove. I guess what I'm trying to get at is that the Cataclysm source could be drastically made better if it made judicious use of scripting for everything from options to items.

If I remember correctly, fixing the weird source code is one of the goals of the as-of-yet-unlaunched kickstarter, or at least fixing it far enough to get some workable tiles.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cardiovorax posted:

Maybe they could ask toady for help.

"That all sounds fantastic, but I think before we get into the nitty gritty we *really* ought to examine the way smells permeate through the air and model fluid dynamics to simulate it better hmm?"

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

"You hit the skeleton in the right 3rd finger 2nd knuckle!"

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Also, my "fix plastic & kevlar poo poo" has been merged with the DDA source so if you want to grab the source and build it with my changes you can. I'm not sure when the nightlies will be updated but I imagine it'll be there next time.

I'm going to change it to use soldering irons though because repairing a plastic hardhat with a chunk of plastic with a sewing needle and thread is pretty dumb and I regret making a pull request before fixing that properly.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Here's a rather obvious one - you should be able to fix fur stuff, too, using furs. Can't believe that's not already in, really.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

PiCroft posted:

Also, my "fix plastic & kevlar poo poo" has been merged with the DDA source so if you want to grab the source and build it with my changes you can. I'm not sure when the nightlies will be updated but I imagine it'll be there next time.

I'm going to change it to use soldering irons though because repairing a plastic hardhat with a chunk of plastic with a sewing needle and thread is pretty dumb and I regret making a pull request before fixing that properly.

It's also been merged with GDA so it'll be in the next build of that.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Jon93 posted:

It's also been merged with GDA so it'll be in the next build of that.

Awesome, thanks!

I hadn't realised you can't fix fur stuff but I should be able to replace the plastic/kevlar stuff in the sewing code to use fur instead and move the plastic/kevlar to soldering.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
An incremental build 0.35 SDL is now in the GDA post.

Nothing huge just some loose ends from 0.3 and PiCroft's new stuff.

If any of you brave souls playing the GDA build have issues with archery, crossbow, or sling gameplay be sure to report it. I want 0.4 to be the last version I rebalance with those weapons.

Calipark fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jun 16, 2013

Galm
Oct 31, 2009
Huh, got to the bottom of a "Strange Temple". For some reason the stairs always took me to a random cavern with a bunch of items and I had to jackhammer my way back to the temple.

Found a "Ring of Unspeakable Abyss" that makes me invisible, and makes me "Feel an evil presence" and "Otherworldly attention on me".
So I basically found the One Ring.

The other ring was a "Ring of Frigid Aeons" that gives me +2 to STR/INT/DEX, -1 PER, and irradiates me.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Galm posted:

Found a "Ring of Unspeakable Abyss" that makes me invisible, and makes me "Feel an evil presence" and "Otherworldly attention on me".
So I basically found the One Ring.

I don't know if you want to spoil yourself and look up the effects of those, but you pretty much did get the One Ring exactly. :golfclap:

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Just a heads up, it appears my stuff was bugged.

When I tested it, I didn't need to include an underscore in the materials check, as it was using the literal name of the repair item. This has been changed to require the item id instead, which broke my stuff.

Typical it would have to happen just as I committed my stuff but w/e I've fixed it now. I've also:

moved the repair for plastic, kevlar and metal to the soldering iron. Metal items can be repaired with scrap metal.

added the ability to repair fur items.

I've changed sewing/soldering to take into account both primary and secondary materials so you should be able to, for example, repair fur items with either leather or fur (this applies to any clothing item composed of more than one material).

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
One of the nightly builds added 'Light Power Armor' and 'Power Armor Interface Mk. II' CBM that only takes 1 PU per 50 turns of activation, when light power armor is powered it adds 0 encumbrance and can be worn over the horns mutation for some reason, my dude is now an unstoppable Katana wielding badass with a fluffy tail, a pair of horns and a heavily fortified Semi Truck. Can just walk into a town and whack everything in the face with impunity.

I guess it's time to start a new character.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Is there a way to make the font square?
I used to play the tileset version when Whale was developing Cataclysm but in the absence of one in the new version I'd at least like to have a decent font.

TheKnife
Jan 24, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

Is there a way to make the font square?
I used to play the tileset version when Whale was developing Cataclysm but in the absence of one in the new version I'd at least like to have a decent font.

The font dimensions are set in the data/FONTDATA file
Just change the 8 to a 16 and you're good to go

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

TheKnife posted:

The font dimensions are set in the data/FONTDATA file
Just change the 8 to a 16 and you're good to go

Ah, thanks.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
How do you guys survive static mode? I get swamped by zombies right from the beginning, when I try to get to the nearest house to find supplies. Are you supposed to head to the forests at the start?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I made this post about how to set up your character to survive static mode if you're having trouble getting into the game. It's a bit outdated now - in the latest version, arrows require feathers and spears/javelins are better than I thought - but all in all it should still give you a decent starting point.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Find a semi-truck, get it fueled, drive slowly inside towns. Congrats you just beat static mode.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

JosephWongKS posted:

How do you guys survive static mode? I get swamped by zombies right from the beginning, when I try to get to the nearest house to find supplies. Are you supposed to head to the forests at the start?

I usually fortify the evac shelther and use that as a base. The key to static is not to venture to far into town. Pick off lone zombies on the outskirts and scavenge from outlying houses. Once you get a vehicle or your fighting stats are up and you've good weapons you can go deeper and take on the thicker crowds around the better buildings.

Exploring the roads in the country can sometimes luck out and find dead soldiers, scientists or drug dealers.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Is there a way to fill all your containers with water/Clean water if you're using a funnel / fire & stone pot?

On that note, the best way to win Static mode is to go slow and abuse the hell out of archery.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Starting static mode:

1. Smash a locker in the shelter to get a pipe. Pipe will kill a zombie in 3-5 hits.
2. Head towards town, preferably an isolated sticky-outy bit.
3. Smash windows in a few houses and attract a cloud of zombies
4. Lead zombie pack out into the wilderness and ditch them
5. Loop back to town area
6. Kill any leftover zombies by leading them into brush and hitting them a couple times while they flail in the bushes.

Robert Red Rocket
Apr 28, 2013

CHEATED ON HIS WIFE, SLEPT WITH PROSTITUTES ON FBI TAPES, JACQUELINE KENNEDY SAID MLK WAS TAPE-RECORDED BY FBI PLANNING A SEX PARTY
You know what we need? Hostile NPCs because they can blow up that sweet bunker you built for the winter.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Justin Time! posted:

Hostile NPCs

That is how I would describe NPCs in previous builds. There's more than one reason they're currently disabled.

I'm still interested to see what the DDA team do with the faction system and I want the friendly dog companion back. Maybe some companion CBMs to make an armored laser warhound?

Strumpie fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 16, 2013

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Justin Time! posted:

You know what we need? Hostile "friendly" NPCs because they can "accidentally" blow up that sweet bunker you built for the winter.

I think this is more accurate. Imagine if your NPC buddies got their hands on a mininuke?

^^^Make some dog food and [a]pply it to a dog. Hey presto, dogbuddy!

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
Do spiders (wolf spiders especially) spawn everywhere and all the time similarly to other wildlife or do they spawn in particular areas of the map only?

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.
I have a pretty good game going right now; I play static, and as such, I'm always extremely cautious in town, but I thought I was done when I ran across a brute and a couple of normal zombies. Somehow I survived the affair*, and for my trouble I was treated to a helicopter wreck, which netted me a full set of power-armor with hauling pack (I'm not using it though, because it bumps all my encumbrance levels to 8(6?)), 6 MREs, a plastic jerry can, various other useful items, and a bicycle which was left in the parking lot the helicopter had crashed in.

While vehicles are great for traveling the highways and long distances, the bicycle is perfect for in town: silent and just quick enough to outrun a huge pack of zombies if they spot you. It also makes a great item runner once you have another larger vehicle. Not too far from the starting shelter, I actually found a functioning truck with an empty tank, and my newfound jerry can allowed me to fill it to half-full with the gas I scrounged from the vehicles around the area of town I was in. It was then I realized what was missing in the game; a way to pick-up a bicycle and put it in the storage of another vehicle. As it is now, anytime I want to use the bicycle as a goods runner (fill up the bike in town, empty it into the much larger truck, repeat until truck is full or it's dark out), I need to separately move both vehicles to a rendezvous point somewhere near where I'll be scavenging.

I know from the way the game handles containers, that this wouldn't be possible without a rewrite or at least a serious hack, but I think the way it would work best would be if you can store a bicycle in a container, but it takes the entire room and it's the only item that can be stored in that container. But I'd settle for it just being like any other item and only taking up one slot (out of 64) in the container. It would be nice if it worked like a brazier, where you 'a'ctivate it to put it down, and then had a special control in the control screen that allowed you to turn it back into an item, but I don't think there's anyway to store item instance-specific variables (components and durability) in the source. Every variable tracked by one item, is present for all, even if they don't actually use it.

I know this is already getting pretty long, but I also have a few quick questions.

1) Do headlights use fuel or battery? Will leaving them on all-night so I can read or keep an eye on an area, slowly drain my fuel? If they don't use fuel, do I have to worry about them draining the battery so that I can't start the car in the morning, even if it has plenty of fuel?

2) Is there any way to determine how much damage is done to a vehicle when you run into a zombie? I've found that even my bicycle is capable of downing a regular zombie if I hit him going balls out (20mph), and I won't even crash if I'm going perfectly straight. But bicycle tires aren't exactly the most plentiful things, so I'm worried about just wrecking the tires if I do that more than four or five times.

3) Is there any reliable place to find firearms and ammo beyond a gun-store? I'd really like to get my hands on a .22lr rifle and some ammo. I know everyone says it does incredibly little damage, but nail-guns only do '2 damage' and in my last game, I was regularly doing 8-10 damage a shot in single-fire mode.

4) Is there anyway to build a bed that allows you to sleep as well as a regular bed? I know you can make a makeshift bed, but I don't think it's at the same level as a regular bed.

* I learned very quickly that surviving the early game without just getting torn to shreds, means making a lot of pointy sticks or spears, and getting very good at throwing them. Also, knowing how to get the stupid zombies tangled on the various garbage littering the area and knowing how to make good use of that additional time it buys you to get some distance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

The King of Swag posted:

I know this is already getting pretty long, but I also have a few quick questions.

1) Do headlights use fuel or battery? Will leaving them on all-night so I can read or keep an eye on an area, slowly drain my fuel? If they don't use fuel, do I have to worry about them draining the battery so that I can't start the car in the morning, even if it has plenty of fuel?

2) Is there any way to determine how much damage is done to a vehicle when you run into a zombie? I've found that even my bicycle is capable of downing a regular zombie if I hit him going balls out (20mph), and I won't even crash if I'm going perfectly straight. But bicycle tires aren't exactly the most plentiful things, so I'm worried about just wrecking the tires if I do that more than four or five times.

3) Is there any reliable place to find firearms and ammo beyond a gun-store? I'd really like to get my hands on a .22lr rifle and some ammo. I know everyone says it does incredibly little damage, but nail-guns only do '2 damage' and in my last game, I was regularly doing 8-10 damage a shot in single-fire mode.

4) Is there anyway to build a bed that allows you to sleep as well as a regular bed? I know you can make a makeshift bed, but I don't think it's at the same level as a regular bed.

* I learned very quickly that surviving the early game without just getting torn to shreds, means making a lot of pointy sticks or spears, and getting very good at throwing them. Also, knowing how to get the stupid zombies tangled on the various garbage littering the area and knowing how to make good use of that additional time it buys you to get some distance.

1)no, lights are unlimited on vehicles. Also, there isn't an engine battery to speak of so you only have to worry about battery power if your vehicle has an electric engine.

2)There isn't really any way to determine how much damage impacting a single creature does to your vehicle except to constantly monitor your vehicle's status. You can smash away to your hearts content though since I've mowed down legions and only gotten damage when I hit something solid like another vehicle or a building. If there is damage from hitting zombies, its miniscule.

3)LMOA Shelters, Military bunkers and (sometimes) Labs have stores of ammo. Also anywhere you can find automated turrets.

4)From the code, it looks like there is no difference in trying to sleep in a makeshift bed versus a "pre-built" one. This also seems to apply to rollmats.