Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The keyboard light is useless. The last two I had didn't even light up the keyboard area properly and just shined right in your face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Hmmm another one with the i5-3210m processor has shown up. Only £30 cheaper (less after delivery) but has a built in webcam, otherwise it seems identical.

Is the real world performance between a i5-3320M and a i5-3210m negligible? I don't know enough about current benchmarks of laptops to read into it myself, if it's tiny, think i'd rather have the built in webcam.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jun 15, 2013

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Mega Comrade posted:

Is the real world performance between a i5-3320M and a i5-3210m negligible? I don't know enough about current benchmarks of laptops to read into it myself, if it's tiny, think i'd rather have the built in webcam.
The real-world performance difference is pretty much nil. The real difference between the two is the 3320M supports VT-d while the 3210M does not. This only matters if you plan on running virtualization stuff on it. If you're just using it for email and games and crap you'll never know the difference.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The 3320 is the corporate model designed for enterprise users, in theory it might be binned higher, but for home power users yeah the main difference is the VT-d which allows you to run virtual machines inside of virtual machines at near native speeds.

Performance is basically i3/i5/i7 dual core/i7 quad core, which sub-model you get has very little bearing on normal desktop use unless you compile code or do 3d modeling, etc

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Well I would likely be throwing Ubuntu on it and running the occasional program through wine but other than that no. I'll be using it for a computer science course too though, if it would be useful for that I don't know.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jun 15, 2013

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

I currently have two laptops, a Dell Vostro 1320 (C2D, 3GB RAM, regular platter disk) and a ASUS U36SD-DH51 (Sandybridge i5, SSD, 8GB RAM).

Both of these are solid but I really want something with a high definition screen in 13" form factor. I'm eyeing the Retina Macbook Pro but will wait for the Haswell update if I were to go that route. There's also that Asus Zenbook Infinity that isn't out yet. So basically what I'm asking is...is there anything else I should be looking at? Greater than 1920x1080 res is important to me.

White1ce
Jul 31, 2003
IT IS YOUR CIVIC DUTY AS AN SA FORUMS MEMBER TO RUIN ALL OF THE THREADS I POST. IF I EVER POST A THREAD, TROLL IT!!!
Finally bit the bullet on a laptop and picked this up http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/...eals+LLC&NID=CJ ended up getting it for $849. Does anyone know if I'd be able to format it when I got it and install Windows 7 on the SSD, like are there compatible drivers out for it yet?

voltron
Nov 26, 2000
Zapf gave me this account because he's a friend of the Indian-American people.
Has anyone picked up a MSI GT70 2OC-065US? This laptop seems like the bee's knees.

voltron fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jun 15, 2013

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

voltron posted:

Has anyone picked up a MSI GT70 2OC-065US? This laptop seems like the bee's knees.
I wouldn't expect any trip reports soon. This thread generally looks down on "gamer" laptops, and at 8.6lbs (plus another 1.9lbs for the AC adapter) and 17", it's pretty much the type of laptop that most people here recommend against--especially given that the price suggests some serious compromises in build quality. The internals certainly do look nice, though.

e; that the $150 upgrade screen has only 72% NTSC coverage makes me wonder how poor the colors on the default one are.

Chop Suey
Jul 24, 2003

Wake Up!
I've looking into laptops for my girlfriend. I've been reading the thread, online reviews, etc and keep going back and forth on what to get.

Budget: $800 or less
Uses: Gaming, skype, movies, etc.
Screen: 14" - 15"

I was looking into Lenovo Thinkpads, but all of those use integrated graphics. This may be sufficient for the game she mostly plays (LoL), but in the past I really regretted not getting a dedicated card as it crippled me and she would surely have this issue with other games she would like playing (ie. new Amnesia or a new FPS). Obviously she can't build a full on gaming laptop... but what's the best way to go? Any recommendations or suggestions? Also, I'll never buy Acer again after mine started to die after 6-9 months.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Wait until Lenovo refreshed the ThinkPad. It should be pretty soon. If those drop with options for the higher-end IGPs, it will largely eliminate the need for a dGPU for anything other than high-end gaming, and probably save you a pretty penny in the process. The current dGPUs you're going to find available on 14-15" laptops under $800 aren't going to be much better than the Haswell IGP, anyhow. Unless you need it RIGHT NOW, I strongly recommend waiting.

Chop Suey
Jul 24, 2003

Wake Up!

DrDork posted:

Wait until Lenovo refreshed the ThinkPad. It should be pretty soon. If those drop with options for the higher-end IGPs, it will largely eliminate the need for a dGPU for anything other than high-end gaming, and probably save you a pretty penny in the process. The current dGPUs you're going to find available on 14-15" laptops under $800 aren't going to be much better than the Haswell IGP, anyhow. Unless you need it RIGHT NOW, I strongly recommend waiting.

Great and thanks... So just wait for a Lenovo haswell thinkpad. Got it.... Hopefully the wait won't be too too long as it is a pretty big need at the moment :)

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Chop Suey posted:

I was looking into Lenovo Thinkpads, but all of those use integrated graphics.

This is not true.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

shrughes posted:

This is not true.
While you are correct, the current dGPU offerings in the ThinkPad lineup are pretty poor, especially compared to what should be available once the refresh hits.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

z06ck posted:

I currently have two laptops, a Dell Vostro 1320 (C2D, 3GB RAM, regular platter disk) and a ASUS U36SD-DH51 (Sandybridge i5, SSD, 8GB RAM).

Both of these are solid but I really want something with a high definition screen in 13" form factor. I'm eyeing the Retina Macbook Pro but will wait for the Haswell update if I were to go that route. There's also that Asus Zenbook Infinity that isn't out yet. So basically what I'm asking is...is there anything else I should be looking at? Greater than 1920x1080 res is important to me.
Anyone?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

z06ck posted:

Anyone?
Not really. The two options you already listed are your best bet at getting what you want. There aren't exactly a lot of 13" laptops with a better-than 1920x1080 screen. poo poo, there aren't that many with even a 1920x1080 screen to begin with.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

DrDork posted:

Not really. The two options you already listed are your best bet at getting what you want. There aren't exactly a lot of 13" laptops with a better-than 1920x1080 screen. poo poo, there aren't that many with even a 1920x1080 screen to begin with.

That's what I figured. I just wanted to confirm that something else that I wasn't aware of may have been on the horizon. If anyone else wants to chime in, thanks.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Screen resolution seems to be the new thing for manufactures to push to differentiate themselves from the rest with Haswell, so there is going to be plenty to choose from if you can wait.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Thankfully. I'll be happy to see the days of everything being 1366x768 finally come to an end. Though whether Lenovo wises up and finally slaps a nice screen on the T4xx series has yet to be seen.

Chop Suey
Jul 24, 2003

Wake Up!

shrughes posted:

This is not true.

When I was searching I probably just wasn't seeing any thinkpads with a designated graphics card for under $800.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Chop Suey posted:

When I was searching I probably just wasn't seeing any thinkpads with a designated graphics card for under $800.
I don't think many of them come with dGPUs by default, but the S, T, and W lineups can have them added as options--and as long as you're using the B&N link you should be able to outfit a S or T series for around $800. The Helix, Twist, E, L and X series are all restricted to IGPs.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Chop Suey posted:

dGPUs aren't as important as they used to be. You can play Skyrim comfortably on an HD4000, and the HD4600+ in haswell will be a 25% improvement over that

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
Is there a site that has a collection of all the new haswell releases/info? Its annoying having to watch this thread and several tech sites to hear about them all. Having a single site that aggregates it all together would be awesome.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Different manufacturers sell different models in different markets at different prices

You can buy a Thinkpad S series in New Zealand and Europe, but not America, the x131e is/is not available in various countries on alternating thursdays, the T430 is $650 in America but $1200 in Norway

Fujitsu and Sony sell a bunch of awesome laptops that you'll never see outside of japan

Brands like Clevo don't exist outside of the EU

On top of that, new models are phased in while there's some overlap on old models being phased out (T430s, T431s), rushed ship dates, slipped ship dates, vaporware (Thinkpad Helix) and everything inbetween.

To use a car analogy, enterprise laptops like the T430 and Dell Latitude 6xxx series are the only "Ford F series" of "Corvette" type models that have any staying power and can be reliably recommended year after year.

If someone comes up with something, please let me know and I'll add it to the OP

The Last Poet
Oct 9, 2001

z06ck posted:

I've been on the lookout for a similar laptop (high end 13" with >= 1080p screen) and came up with
rMBP
Asus Xenbook Infinity
Toshiba Kirabook
Acer Aspire S7 refresh
Sony Vaio Pro

I think i'm favouring the Xenbook at the moment but availability is key.

The Last Poet fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jun 16, 2013

sports
Sep 1, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

The keyboard light is useless. The last two I had didn't even light up the keyboard area properly and just shined right in your face.

I find ThinkLights extremely useful. I grew up with a GameBoyColor and the auxiliary light accessory, though.

It's not really bothersome. It shines and illuminates my desk when I need to find my contact lens or something, and I'm pretty sure people with a shred of typing competence never look at the keyboard when they type.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
So whatever happened to the ThinkPad Helix? How were the reviews for it? That thing looks amazing for doodling and drawing with that Wacom active digitizer.

It's a shame it got released like a month before Haswell :argh:

fookolt fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jun 16, 2013

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005

Hadlock posted:

dGPUs aren't as important as they used to be. You can play Skyrim comfortably on an HD4000, and the HD4600+ in haswell will be a 25% improvement over that

But with thinkpads you are paying a lot of money for those nividia cards which are just not very good at gaming at all. The T400 for example had a switcheable ATI card which was really good and allowed me to play new videojames for years for the same relative cost. The current gpus are not as good compared to that.
If you can live with the thinkpad redesign, it would be a good idea to wait for what they are putting in this time.

sports
Sep 1, 2012

fookolt posted:

So whatever happened to the ThinkPad Helix? How were the reviews for it? That thing looks amazing for doodling and drawing with that Wacom active digitizer.

It's a shame it got released like a month before Haswell :argh:

Unfortunately they start at $1,650. I'd rather take an mba 13" for less than that.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

sports posted:

Unfortunately they start at $1,650. I'd rather take an mba 13" for less than that.

On Lenovo and Amazon, I see the 8GB/256GB one for ~$1800. And the MBA doesn't come with an HD screen or an active digitizer :(

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON
Now that has well is out and I am looking to replace my 2 year old xps studio 15 dell laptop, what is the recommended best buy available now or within one month?

I am looking for portable and powerful as my two primary requirements and would like it to be about 4 lbs give or pref take and cost about 1000. Screen size should be about 14inches or more and I'd sacrifice weight for a better battery. I also am hoping to find something that doesn't look like its designed for 12 year old l33t doodz...looking at you Alienware....

Anyway you guys give great advice. I am a gamer but i don't care if it can't play awesome games in 2 years which is about the life expectancy i have been getting out of my laptops. The as us infinity and dell 12 look interesting but dell doesn't seem to be rolling out has well laptops yet as far as I can tell. Any major finds i am missing?

Thanks again goons, love the work thats gone into this thread and my hats off to the op and contributors. This is typed on my tablet so i apologize for brevity and typos.

Edit to add that I have a desktop i love and this is meant for travel entertainment so i am ok sacrificing things like DVD drives or big screens in case that helps.

SoggyGravy fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jun 16, 2013

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

Just a heads up to anyone interested, over at MacMall they're having huge discounts on Mackbook Pros (retina). I'm having a hard time not buying one but I'm going to wait for haswell.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Looking to get a new laptop, I currently have a samsung r580 but I need a little more power to play some of the upcoming MMO's I'm interested in. I was initially going to look at picking up a Yoga but a friend showed me the HP G6, and newegg has them in the $350-450 range (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834256928)

I guess my question would be is the Radeon 7640 on the G6 comparable to the HD4000 on the Yoga? Or, given all the talk about haswell I'm seeing, should I be waiting/looking for one with that?

voltron
Nov 26, 2000
Zapf gave me this account because he's a friend of the Indian-American people.

z06ck posted:

Just a heads up to anyone interested, over at MacMall they're having huge discounts on Mackbook Pros (retina). I'm having a hard time not buying one but I'm going to wait for haswell.

And 3% Appleinsider discount (http://appleinsider.com/mac_price_guide)
And 2% Ebates cashback (http://www.ebates.com/coupons/macmall.com/index.htm?navigation_id=10007)
And 1% if you're credit card does cashback

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Are there any good 12" laptops that can take a 2.5" drive? The X200-X230's cost too much and the HP 2530-50's use those stupid 1.8" hard drives.

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

spankety, spankety, spankety
I was looking to purchase a simple laptop for my mom's work (their old one died Friday and they need a replacement as soon as possible) and the T430 looks like a good deal, but according to their website they won't ship till the 27th and they only offer free UPS shipping so another 5-7 days beyond that.

Does anyone know a site with the same laptop and better shipping options or have recommendations on another sub-650ish shipped laptop? The T430 is probably overkill for their use which is general internet browsing and PDF form stuff but the Thinkpads looked like a nice durable option so I was gravitating towards them. The only other feature they cared about was getting Windows 7 instead of 8.

Newegg has a refurbished T410 and an E430 I was eying, but I was a bit leery with the first being a refurbished laptop and the other being e-series.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
Does anybody know when dual-core 37W CPUs like the i5-4300M and friends are going to be out?

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Bob Morales posted:

Are there any good 12" laptops that can take a 2.5" drive? The X200-X230's cost too much and the HP 2530-50's use those stupid 1.8" hard drives.

You can get a refurbished x230 for under $600.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

shrughes posted:

Does anybody know when dual-core 37W CPUs like the i5-4300M and friends are going to be out?

Sometime this fall. Intel is rolling out the i7's (highest margin? also to help sell down the i3/i5 ivy bridges?) and then standard i5 stuff will follow once the bleeding edge i7 crowd has had their fill. Probably late/end of September when Back to School season ends and the Christmas season begins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Damnit there's something rolling around inside my new x230. Sounds like a loose screw or cable inside the front right corner. So annoying! I checked my warranty status and it says 3 year on site, that means someone will come out and mend it, right? Or should I take out the keyboard and have a look?

I don't want to void the warranty but at the same time really don't want to send it away for repair / return it.