Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It's a real shame that was bugged, because I love the Obsidian Roll Call Of poo poo You've done. Whenever I play New Vegas I try to gently caress up all of Caesar's plans before going to see him so he can reel off that huge list of reasons he's pissed at me. Alpha Protocol had some great ones too: Betraying Leland at the end and listing all the contacts you've made to show that you don't need his help, and convincing Parker to help you by explaining how you've countered every single one of his plans.

Plus listing all the stuff you've actually done to convince your brain to reunite with you is cooler than referring to falling in love and smelling flowers, neither of which you can do in the game. Is there a list out there of all the stuff it was meant to refer to? I'm sure there was a bunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Man, I know that people usually assume that "the school" and "the principal" are things that are meant to be in future games like the Commonwealth, but man, I think it's more effective if you never know what they actually were. It's something that will most likely be gone by the 2280s, and reading the log was just so disturbing because you didn't know what the school was, but you know it wasn't good.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
There was another DLC that had an area much like a school, with a character who referred to himself as a principal, so that's what I think that log was referring to.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Timeless Appeal posted:

Man, I know that people usually assume that "the school" and "the principal" are things that are meant to be in future games like the Commonwealth, but man, I think it's more effective if you never know what they actually were. It's something that will most likely be gone by the 2280s, and reading the log was just so disturbing because you didn't know what the school was, but you know it wasn't good.

Yeah, I always thought that was the case. Seemed pretty straightforward.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Timeless Appeal posted:

Are you talking about the school section of Big MT? I seriously don't know what you're talking about here. What log?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

LividLiquid posted:

Are you talking about the school section of Big MT? I seriously don't know what you're talking about here. What log?

One of the Survivalist logs in Honest Hearts.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Huh. I know I read them all. Must've forgotten that one. Good thing it's next up on the playthrough.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Yeah, it's the backstory for the Sorrows.

2house2fly posted:

There was another DLC that had an area much like a school, with a character who referred to himself as a principal, so that's what I think that log was referring to.
I never made the connection, you're right, it does make sense.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

2house2fly posted:

I really don't think that's it. The log doesn't mention or hint at anything from OWB or Borous' high school trauma specifically. And in OWB's X-8 research center there isn't anything that mentions or hints at experiment subjects that fled.
There are just the words "school" and "principle" in the log and that's a bit to vague for there to be a connection.

I reckon it's more likely for that school to be scomething else in the Fallout setting that we simply haven't seen.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jun 14, 2013

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Smol posted:

Reportedly, patches cost around $40,000 on the Xbox 360 and the PS3. That's a big reason why so few console/multiplatform games see more than a handful of patches.

If only that would encourage better testing.

Is there any resource for saves? I just picked up some DLC on PC, but lost my New Vegas save, and I don't want to play through all that story content again to get high enough to play the DLCs. For some reason I can't see what I'm typing in the console due to my screen resolution so saves would be easier.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Raygereio posted:

I really don't think that's it. The log doesn't mention or hint at anything from OWB or Borous' high school trauma specifically. And in OWB's X-8 research center there isn't anything that mentions or hints at experiment subjects that fled.
There are just the words "school" and "principle" in the log and that's a bit to vague for there to be a connection.

I reckon it's more likely for that school to be scomething else in the Fallout setting that we simply haven't seen.

Yeah, I agree. I feel like they would've made the reference a little more explicit, honestly.

Like many of the various references littered throughout New Vegas, it's probably a reference to rope kid's PNP Fallout campaign or some Van Buren concept or something.

As long as we're talking mysteries though, there was always sinister implications in Dead Money about the other company that picked up the slack on weaponizing the holograms after Big MT deemed it too expensive. N.E. or something. It could've just been a one-off evil pre-war corrupt corporation, but eh, I feel like the logs mentioning them hinted at their being a little more to it. I suppose only Avellone knows :shrug:

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I feel like a lot of these are hooks you left for possible other games in the series, even though there's no guarantee Obsidian will ever make another Fallout. If they do, these references give them a couple of concepts they can work into the new game that callback the old one in a cool way; if not, they're subtle enough to not be annoying.

Specifically I feel the Survivalist stuff doesn't reference OWB because all the other stuff that ties the DLCs together is a lot more explicit about it, and this was really vague. Also they would have been lobotomized.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The escape took place about 45 years after the war, early in the Think Tank's robo-existence; maybe they started lobotomising people after the children escaped, possibly because of the children escaping, to stop such a thing happening again by making test subjects easier to control :colbert: also possibly they didn't lobotomise people until they were adults, for reasons to do with Science :colbert: :colbert:

Yeah it's probably not what the writers intended, but it's fun to speculate about, which is the main thing.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I like the idea of the fallout world as being so full of postapocalyptic dystopias that they're just leaking out of the woodwork. A thousand years from now, they'll still be unearthing lost civilizations that were seperated from the rest of the world by the bombs.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
And on that day the Canadians will finally rule.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

SlothfulCobra posted:

I like the idea of the fallout world as being so full of postapocalyptic dystopias that they're just leaking out of the woodwork.

Isn't one of the big themes of Fallout that the old world was so bad that it getting blown away by nukes could only be an improvement?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Well, unless you were an average city dweller in 2077.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

2house2fly posted:

Well, unless you were an average city dweller in 2077.

Yeah, it was less an improvement, and more an inevitability.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Tsh, another lame bug. Can't blow up the Monorail for the Legion, as I can't get on the train car. I'm blocked by an invisible wall and a "Press E to go to The Strip" prompt.

Apparently it has to do with talking to the traitor guy without getting Hsu's permission to look for a spy, which I can't do because I have no Speech and NCR hates me. Oh well.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I get really really sad during the slideshows for New Vegas. I don't know what it is, maybe it's the guy's voice, but for some reason I get really :smith:. I don't even know why, really.

Am I crazy?

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much
It's that slideshow song, it's so good. Also something about everyone chiming in and rotating around, Dead Money does a really good job at that.

DeathChicken posted:

Tsh, another lame bug. Can't blow up the Monorail for the Legion, as I can't get on the train car. I'm blocked by an invisible wall and a "Press E to go to The Strip" prompt.

Apparently it has to do with talking to the traitor guy without getting Hsu's permission to look for a spy, which I can't do because I have no Speech and NCR hates me. Oh well.

Did you try just tcl-ing in? Or use resetquest 000e790f to start from scratch.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Ernie Muppari posted:

Yeah, it was less an improvement, and more an inevitability.

The fact that the West Coast came through in better shape despite being so much closer to China is a pretty solid indication of how bad things on the Eastern Seaboard were by then, IMO.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

It's that slideshow song, it's so good. Also something about everyone chiming in and rotating around, Dead Money does a really good job at that.

I really love that piece. It does such a good job of wrapping everything up in a way that feels final.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Yeah, I don't think I've ever played a game with an ending that made me feel like New Vegas' ending did. The music combined with the narration just does something to you, it's kind of sad, but it's also really fulfilling. It makes you feel like your choices had an impact on the world, and now your story is over. I don't know of many games that can do that.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Man, the bonus to Sneak from the Stealth Suit makes me wish I'd dumped points there. With just that bonus, I'm pulling all manner of hilarious poo poo.

"Caesar demands you hand over your weapons before entering."

*Proton Axe to the back*

"You must enter Caesar's tent alone. Your companions must wait here."

*Proton Axe to the back*

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.
I really, really wish you could skip the slideshows at the end of OWB. It practically gives me enough time to start brewing coffee, take a shower, and then get a cup of coffee before it's done telling me about every single component of the sink. :argh: They droned on a bit long the first time and the second time really did not get any more tolerable.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Of all the options there are to explain yourself to House when you kill him, I wish I could have given him the real one. "Well, it's nothing personal, but I plan to eat your dehydrated beef jerky corpse to absorb your good luck."

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
House: WHY?

Hannibal: I'm curious to see what will happen. :getin:

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
I've run through all the scenarios in my head and I still can't think of a good reason to kill Mr. House. The guy wants the best for everyone, except the legion, which also is the best for himself!

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

He was mean to my bros the Kings.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Sock The Great posted:

I've run through all the scenarios in my head and I still can't think of a good reason to kill Mr. House. The guy wants the best for everyone who doesn't question his absolute authority, killing anyone who stands in his way, which also is the best for himself!

FTFY

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

THS posted:

He was mean to my bros the Kings.

That's the only thing that upset me about the House ending! For sure I could have brokered some kind of peace between House and the Kings.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

For all the complaints about Fallout 3, the biggest for me was the ending not addressing anything I did in the wasteland. Those slides give your actions so much more meaning, and after Fallout 2 I was fully expecting them. Instead, I got shoved into an irradiated toilet for no reason and that was that. Nothing I did mattered.

Hrmf. I need to begin again and let go.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer

But whose really standing in his way? Caesar? New Vegas is unquestionably a more peaceful place without the Legion in charge. The NCR? House brokers a relative peace with them, the rule of law still stands while NV keeps its sovereignty from the massive NCR bureaucracy.

Having seen each ending, the Courier / Yes Man seem to be the greatest threat to New Vegas. Place goes straight to hell with them in charge.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Sock The Great posted:

I've run through all the scenarios in my head and I still can't think of a good reason to kill Mr. House. The guy wants the best for everyone, except the legion, which also is the best for himself!

He's a FYGM Randroid wasteland warlord, basically. That's two reasons.

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

Sock The Great posted:

That's the only thing that upset me about the House ending! For sure I could have brokered some kind of peace between House and the Kings.

House supports the Kings if you don't allow them to broker a peace with the NCR squatters/spies.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
My favorite thing about the Kings is getting Pacer to give you extra bribe money to not say anything RE him sabotaging NCR-Kings relations to the King, and then saying "Thanks. Now gently caress off, I'm going to go tell him everything."

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Defiance Industries posted:

The fact that the West Coast came through in better shape despite being so much closer to China is a pretty solid indication of how bad things on the Eastern Seaboard were by then, IMO.
Well it helps that the Government is located mostly on the Eastern Seaboard which means it was probably a bigger target. I wonder what to areas that don't have a lot of people living there, like Wyoming, Montana, or the Dakotas, are they basically the same and untouched? Like I don't sea why the Chinese would bomb Yellowstone for instance.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I think the only real reference to Montana was that the Lonesome Drifter lived there, and worked in a coal mine. There are Followers of the Apocalypse in Wyoming, and it's where the White Legs go if you run them out of Utah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Sock The Great posted:

Having seen each ending, the Courier / Yes Man seem to be the greatest threat to New Vegas. Place goes straight to hell with them in charge.

If you're evil, sure.

Defiance Industries posted:

Or if you destroyed the Securitron updater, because then you don't have the muscle to keep order. If you aren't evil or without Securitrons, though, the Independent ending turns out pretty okay.

Right, right. If you're evil, or a self-defeating idiot, then sure, The Mojave ends up worse off.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jun 16, 2013