Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I guess he called and closed the account. He's going to start anew with the SIII and will port his current Verizon number to them.

I just figured it would just stop at the end of the month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Xeom posted:

So my data on straight talk stopped working like 3 weeks ago for no reason, my iphone 4 just says I have no data plan. Kinda happened around my plan auto-payed itself.

Has this happened to anybody else, know what to do to fix it?

Huh...I think this just happened to me today. I just made a post about it in the Android thread. I'm in the same boat as you, ST with auto-pay.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Has anyone here used both the regular T-Mobile service and Straight Talk T-Mobile? I'm starting to think that 100 minutes/month is too few, even for someone as goony as me, but I don't want to pay $70/mo or whatever T-Mobile's unlimited everything option is. I wish there were an option for something like Virgin Mobile's 300 minutes/unlimited data that took SIM cards (I'm on a Nexus 4).

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Does anybody know what the prepaid offerings are like in the UK? It looks like I'm going to need to head to there for a few days to a couple weeks. Ideally, I'd like to get a SIM with a couple hundred minutes (including calls back to the US since it's a work trip and I'll probably have to call a few people back here) and a few gigs of data, but I know almost nothing about what's available over there. Does anybody know offhand what my options might be?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Xeom posted:

So my data on straight talk stopped working like 3 weeks ago for no reason, my iphone 4 just says I have no data plan. Kinda happened around my plan auto-payed itself.

Has this happened to anybody else, know what to do to fix it?

SB35 posted:

Girlfriend had previously been using a profile from unlockit.co.nz but that stopped working a few days ago. Ended up having to call up Straight Talk to see what was the problem and they advised installing a profile from iapnupdatetfdata.straighttalk.com which promptly fixed the problem.

But yeah, outside of that and a porting issue, straight talk has been great.

Quoting myself here, but have you tried this? Seems they've changed some of their data settings or something, it happened when she refilled for the month too.

dik-dik posted:

Has anyone here used both the regular T-Mobile service and Straight Talk T-Mobile? I'm starting to think that 100 minutes/month is too few, even for someone as goony as me, but I don't want to pay $70/mo or whatever T-Mobile's unlimited everything option is. I wish there were an option for something like Virgin Mobile's 300 minutes/unlimited data that took SIM cards (I'm on a Nexus 4).

StraightTalk Tmo might be good for you then. Unlimited minutes as far as I can tell, and ~2GB of 3G data for $45/mo. If you're in a place that already has good Tmo service give it a try. It works very well for me, never had a problem except for occasional poor signal but that's a consequence of Tmo's lackluster coverage

SB35 fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jun 14, 2013

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Huh...I think this just happened to me today. I just made a post about it in the Android thread. I'm in the same boat as you, ST with auto-pay.

Well, I figured out what it was in my case. I did a factory reset on my phone the other night, and I forgot to change the APN settings. I'm an idiot.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
So AT&T's new go-phone plan is going to launch next week.

Anyone got any thoughts?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

TLG James posted:

So AT&T's new go-phone plan is going to launch next week.

Anyone got any thoughts?

I wouldn't do it unless you NEEDED LTE. GoPhone uses prepaid AT&T coverage which is a lot worse than postpaid AT&T coverage. AT&T (and T-Mobile) only really works in very populated areas. Put yourself on GoPhone and you'll limit yourself even further.

Mr.AARP
Apr 20, 2010

I was born after Kurt Cobain died. Now you feel old.

I have a quick question regarding using Voice + Groove IP lite while over in Europe on a trip. I realize it uses Google voice credit on my end to make an international call, but will the number that I'm calling also be charged? I don't want someone to get stuck with a huge bill just because I called them.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Where does everyone buy their discounted prepaid $$ these days? there was a site mentioned a while back that worked great, but scrolling through 20pgs of thread I don't see it.

Edit: Found refillmobi but they're sold out of T mobile. Other suggestions?

tonic fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jun 15, 2013

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

tonic posted:

Where does everyone buy their discounted prepaid $$ these days? there was a site mentioned a while back that worked great, but scrolling through 20pgs of thread I don't see it.

Edit: Found refillmobi but they're sold out of T mobile. Other suggestions?

T-Mobile stopped selling their refill cards at a discount (from Calling Mart) so no one will have legitimate refill cards at a discount. I still buy mine from Calling Mart to avoid local sales taxes.

cats
May 11, 2009
I just bought a nexus 4 and a Straight Talk plan, but didn't realized the nexus 4 takes a micro SIM card. Two questions: can I get the SIM card cut down at, say, T-mobile, since I'm sort of on their network? And is there an easy way to get all my contacts off of my Verizon Thunderbolt and onto the Straight Talk Nexus?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Pianist On Strike posted:

And is there an easy way to get all my contacts off of my Verizon Thunderbolt and onto the Straight Talk Nexus?

If you are saving them in the cloud on Google's servers, they'll just copy over automatically. Otherwise, go toy your contacts app and there should be an import / export option.

Howdges
Dec 29, 2012

Anyone have the Nokia Lumia 521? I've got one on the way. It's been getting great reviews and selling out all over the place. Every store in my city is sold out. I haven't seen much talk in this thread about Windows Phones, whats the general consensus? Hopefully I haven't fallen into a trap like I did with the Blackberry Playbook.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I don't have one, but generally I hear "good phones, terrible app support" every time a Nokia Windows phone is reviewed.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
Wait so what happened to the AT&T one or uno or whatever plan that was supposed to be coming out? Did they just roll it into the go phone? gently caress I was really hoping to drop straight talk and get some sweet sweet postpaid coverage with defined data caps.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Mr Newsman posted:

Wait so what happened to the AT&T one or uno or whatever plan that was supposed to be coming out? Did they just roll it into the go phone? gently caress I was really hoping to drop straight talk and get some sweet sweet postpaid coverage with defined data caps.

That plan is AIO Wireless. It's only available in Tampa and Orlando, Florida and Houston, Texas.

That being said, no one seems to know if they roam or not and it may be prepaid coverage.

I checked around their site and they say nothing about roaming...they also say nothing about NOT being able to stream either.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Pianist On Strike posted:

I just bought a nexus 4 and a Straight Talk plan, but didn't realized the nexus 4 takes a micro SIM card. Two questions: can I get the SIM card cut down at, say, T-mobile, since I'm sort of on their network? And is there an easy way to get all my contacts off of my Verizon Thunderbolt and onto the Straight Talk Nexus?

I would say probably not (st least not officially), unless it has a Tmo logo on it, but maybe if you ask nicely? Or you could try swapping it out at Wal-Mart? They sell straight talk sims, right?

Worst case, if you search around though you can find instructions on doing it yourself either with scissors or a specially made tool. Or hell at this point your mall probably has someone doing this at a kiosk.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I really wish ST would get AT&T Micro sims back. Literally no other MVNO works at my house or area. I can make calls fine on T Mobile, but they don't allow mobile data roaming, which sucks. Perhaps this new AT&T GoPhone will work but who knows.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Abu Dave posted:

I really wish ST would get AT&T Micro sims back. Literally no other MVNO works at my house or area. I can make calls fine on T Mobile, but they don't allow mobile data roaming, which sucks. Perhaps this new AT&T GoPhone will work but who knows.

The "new" AT&T GoPhone is the same as the old one, they're just getting LTE and changing the plans around price wise. It's still on prepaid coverage and all.

If AT&T works where you are, AT&T GoPhone should work there too. However, you can't roam like you can on Straight Talk/Net10.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah that's unfortunate. Verizon owns all the towers up here, UNICEL. Thanks for the help though, i'll have to try out Net10 again.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Abu Dave posted:

Yeah that's unfortunate. Verizon owns all the towers up here, UNICEL. Thanks for the help though, i'll have to try out Net10 again.

I heard that there was a way to get at&t st Sims from some prepaid used Nokia phones over at the Howard forums

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Does anyone know if you can yet successfully transfer a Ting LTE phone (say the Galaxy S4) back to Sprint if you want to? The answers I've found seem to range from "not possible" to "maybe" to "yes" but I haven't really found anything that has been posted or shared recently that confirms, yes, you can buy a S4 on Ting and move it back to Sprint later if you want.

I love Ting's pricing structure but it makes me a little nervous to buy the phones outright if Ting goes belly up in a year or so (since they are so new to the market). I'd be very reassuring to know that if something does happen I could easily take my device back over to Sprint or move back over to Sprint if for some reason I ended up unhappy with Ting.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Abu Dave posted:

Just use Net10, same exact service as ST except they tell you right off the bat that you have 2.5gb of data, where as ST doesn't tell you that.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lblitzer posted:

Just use Net10, same exact service as ST except they tell you right off the bat that you have 2.5gb of data, where as ST doesn't tell you that.

It's weird, I can't activate Net10 at my house (I bought a activation card which ended up being stolen anyways) because of my Zip code, but ST can activate there. I have another Net10 activation card coming my way though and will try it again.

Also thanks for the heads up about the Nokia phone Mister Fister.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Lblitzer posted:

Note its 1.5gb of data on net10 with an ATT sim. I just activated mine on a nexus 4. I'm getting better reception on ATT than I was on a verizon gnex. I'm pretty happy (and saving $40 a month)

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Athenry posted:

Note its 1.5gb of data on net10 with an ATT sim. I just activated mine on a nexus 4. I'm getting better reception on ATT than I was on a verizon gnex. I'm pretty happy (and saving $40 a month)

Errrr yeah 1.5gb. Even so, for $45/month it's a pretty good deal unless you want to try out GIVmobile or Ptel (2gb at high speeds) for $50/month.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Lblitzer posted:

Errrr yeah 1.5gb. Even so, for $45/month it's a pretty good deal unless you want to try out GIVmobile or Ptel (2gb at high speeds) for $50/month.

Its the best deal if you need AT&T coverage, and don't want to pay for a straight talk sim. Its really better than straight talk as you know upfront what your limitations are.

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH

Howdges posted:

Anyone have the Nokia Lumia 521? I've got one on the way. It's been getting great reviews and selling out all over the place. Every store in my city is sold out. I haven't seen much talk in this thread about Windows Phones, whats the general consensus? Hopefully I haven't fallen into a trap like I did with the Blackberry Playbook.
The 521 is decent but the other Lumia phones are much better. That said, it's hard to get a decent Android/iOS phone at the same price point. WP8 is a nice OS but it depends completely on what apps you need. If your main needs are pretty standard (Pandora, email, IM, web browsing, etc) then WP8 can be satisfactory but if you need any vaguely obscure apps or like to play a lot of games it's probably not for you.

OatmealRocks
Jul 6, 2006
Burrp!

Athenry posted:

NET10 in the Miami area have much better download speeds than straight talk. Both ST iPhone 5 (CDMA) and ATT GSM chip of ST are slow. Speedtest have shown about 1.0 mbps. This is a huge disappointment for me as I switch and bought the ST iPhone 5 out right hoping it would be better than previous GSM chip. A friend of mine was on the same boat but now using Net10. DL speeds via speed test are 4-5mbps.

Apparently Net10 states it is unlimited. Are you sure there is a CAP? He has been using crazy data with no notice in DL speed throttling.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

OatmealRocks posted:

NET10 in the Miami area have much better download speeds than straight talk. Both ST iPhone 5 (CDMA) and ATT GSM chip of ST are slow. Speedtest have shown about 1.0 mbps. This is a huge disappointment for me as I switch and bought the ST iPhone 5 out right hoping it would be better than previous GSM chip. A friend of mine was on the same boat but now using Net10. DL speeds via speed test are 4-5mbps.

Apparently Net10 states it is unlimited. Are you sure there is a CAP? He has been using crazy data with no notice in DL speed throttling.

There is a cap, instated by AT&T themselves.

Your friend is just lucky and he WILL be throttled or even removed soon enough. ST and Net10 are owned by TracFone and they're not exactly keen on people abusing the TOS. They're even known to hit people for doing nothing at all.

MisterFreshman
Aug 30, 2008
I have had VirginMobile for about 7 years, a friend recently switched to it and bought the Galaxy S2, decided she didn't like it, and gave me the phone to use as an upgrade for my Optimus Elite. I tried to switch on the site and it said the phone is already in use on another account. I browsed through her account management and it seems like my only option is to swap her account to a different phone so that it frees the Galaxy up to use on mine... before I run out and buy a $20 Virgin flip phone can anyone verify that this is probably what I need to do?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

MisterFreshman posted:

I have had VirginMobile for about 7 years, a friend recently switched to it and bought the Galaxy S2, decided she didn't like it, and gave me the phone to use as an upgrade for my Optimus Elite. I tried to switch on the site and it said the phone is already in use on another account. I browsed through her account management and it seems like my only option is to swap her account to a different phone so that it frees the Galaxy up to use on mine... before I run out and buy a $20 Virgin flip phone can anyone verify that this is probably what I need to do?

That is probably what you need to do. The same ESN can't be on two accounts simultaneously. Why don't you call them and have them swap your esn for hers, instead of spending money on a throwaway?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

If she still plans on keeping the account, then yes. If not, she can call and cancel the account, which ought to free up the phone.

MisterFreshman
Aug 30, 2008
My fiance dug up an old LG Rumor with a cracked screen out of a junk droor, after some googling I managed to hit the right buttons on the phone to finish the online activation and swap her account over to that and finish moving the Galaxy to mine, haha.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Just bought a sim from AIO for my iPhone. It took an Austin address as a shipping and billing location but my wireless number is a 713 (Houston). Will update on how well it works. Don't much care for spending $70 for tmobile's edge service and $55 for 3G isn't bad for now.

Maybe AT&T finally got their poo poo together...

Rabble fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jun 17, 2013

Howdges
Dec 29, 2012

Uthor posted:

I don't have one, but generally I hear "good phones, terrible app support" every time a Nokia Windows phone is reviewed.

waffle posted:

The 521 is decent but the other Lumia phones are much better. That said, it's hard to get a decent Android/iOS phone at the same price point. WP8 is a nice OS but it depends completely on what apps you need. If your main needs are pretty standard (Pandora, email, IM, web browsing, etc) then WP8 can be satisfactory but if you need any vaguely obscure apps or like to play a lot of games it's probably not for you.

Great, that's what I was expecting to hear. I mainly want it for navigation and music and it sounds perfect for that. Apparently Terraria is coming out later this summer. If my phone can run it, that will be all the gaming I'll ever need.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Rabble posted:

Just bought a sim from AIO for my iPhone. It took an Austin address as a shipping and billing location but my wireless number is a 713 (Houston). Will update on how well it works. Don't much care for spending $70 for tmobile's edge service and $55 for 3G isn't bad for now.

Maybe AT&T finally got their poo poo together...

I've been thinking about having a friend out in Orlando to send me a card so do keep us (and me :v:) posted!

1karus
Jan 29, 2006

The Fun Machine
Took a Shit and Died
Any alternatives to RefillMobi for ST AT&T cards? I was trying to wait out for RefillMobi to restock, but I ran out of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
For folks using Ting, how do you like it? I'm looking at porting over once my contract with Sprint expires since it will save me over $100 a month. Considering my wife still is out of a job, this will be a good thing...

• Locked thread