Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grmartin
Mar 9, 2013

You become confused and frightened.

Ethereal posted:

Chrome has click to plugin built in. Check the settings page.

I think Chrome's setting to do that applies to all plugins, while Safari's implementation only applies to plugins in the margins of the page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
I accidentally installed Safari 6.

1) Is there any way to get back fixed width tabs?
2) I used the "Activity" window *all the time* in Safari 5 to rip FLVs out of pages. Is there any way to get that back or to achieve the same effect in Safari 6?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Dunno if it's cool to ask here, but have any of you other devs figured out how to rehide hidden files? The Terminal command from ML doesn't seem to be working.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Petey posted:

2) I used the "Activity" window *all the time* in Safari 5 to rip FLVs out of pages. Is there any way to get that back or to achieve the same effect in Safari 6?

Install Firefox and the VideoDownload Helper extension? That was my solution to the second one (where Safari's ClickToFlash extension didn't find an HTML5 alternative that I could download). I just got used to the tabs being variable width after a few weeks.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Petey posted:

I used the "Activity" window *all the time* in Safari 5 to rip FLVs out of pages. Is there any way to get that back or to achieve the same effect in Safari 6?

You can use the Inspector, which does activity and a lot more. Turn it on and dig away at content.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Where did the accessibility checkbox you need to enable to make the Steam overlay work go?

Gnomedolf
Jun 9, 2013

Freelance Gynecologist
Has anyone tried Mavericks on a retina Macbook and confirmed if it really fixes the UI lag?

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Petey posted:

For 1: Glims is an add-on that'll let you do so. For the last 3 months or so I've had it installed, and it hasn't broken anything. Not that that's a guarantee or anything, but it's a nice addon.

As for 2: Flash videos are still locally stored in /var/folders/[something]. So navigate to /var/folders/ dick around until you find 'flashtemp(some nonsense). It's cumbersome, but it works. It's not the same function, but the same end result, for what that's worth.

And as an aside: Echofon OSX was ended a few months ago, yesterday it died. A few hours ago, they revived the project. So if you're like me and enjoyed the synch between desktop/iOS, that's another option for twitter on OSX/iOS.

grmartin
Mar 9, 2013

You become confused and frightened.

Gnomedolf posted:

Has anyone tried Mavericks on a retina Macbook and confirmed if it really fixes the UI lag?

I've been using it on my 15" rMBP and the UI has been pretty smooth when scrolling/switching between spaces or full-screen apps.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Neurophonic posted:

You can use the Inspector, which does activity and a lot more. Turn it on and dig away at content.

I have yet to find a way to get the inspector to show the flv file for a page playing a flash video. Unless you know something specific that I don't, this will not replace the activity window for Petey (not to mention it is far more heavyweight, slow, and cumbersome). If you DO know something, I too would love to hear it.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Choadmaster posted:

I have yet to find a way to get the inspector to show the flv file for a page playing a flash video. Unless you know something specific that I don't, this will not replace the activity window for Petey (not to mention it is far more heavyweight, slow, and cumbersome). If you DO know something, I too would love to hear it.

Right, I was going to say, the Inspector doesn't do what the Activity window used to (nor have I been able to find it under /var/).

I am pissed at myself because I had been avoiding upgrading to Safari 6 for this very reason and forgot to uncheck the box when running Software Update yesterday :/

Why the poo poo would Apple remove such a useful, harmless feature (he asked himself rhetorically)

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
I feel like the new Inspector is way worse than the old one; by trying to simplify it they just made it way harder to use.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

It sure requires getting used to, I can tell you that.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

I've read the OP and am looking through the software list, but does anybody else have any recommendations for somebody new to OSX? I've always used Windows but my new Macbook Air will be my first OSX machine.

Also, how good does BetterTouchTool work for games? I'd like to add multi-touch/gesture support to some different games... (for example, Prison Architect uses WSAD keys for scrolling and it would be nice to convert those keystrokes into gestures, etc)

What are some other apps that support the Macbook trackpad gestures?

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Gestures should work in-game but I haven't really attempted that.

I'm not on my mbp but these are the touchpad shortcuts I have:

2-finger twist left: previous browser tab
2-finger twist right: next browser tab

3-finger down: minimize window
3-finger up: launchpad

4-finger tap: close window
4-finger up: spaces (this may be a built-in gesture, I don't remember)

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Did you create those with BetterTouchTool?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
So in order to pull all of my iCloud synced photos taken with my iPhone onto my computer I need to have iPhoto. I bought a 2010 MBP so I just have whichever version that one came with, but I threw away the CD already because who needs physical media. Does that version of iPhoto 1) have the iCloud features to let me see my last 1000 synced photos and 2) am I able to download it legally somewhere on Apples website? Or do I need to purchase iPhoto '11? I'm on the fence on that one just because I'm gonna buy a new MBA in the coming months and don't want to pay for an older version if a newer one is coming out soon and I can get it for free.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
...it's $15.

Do you need it now? If not, wait. If yes, buy it.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
Mac newbie here. I'm trying to get BetterTouchTool set up in Safari so I can tap on the left side of the touchpad to open a link in a new tab in the background, right side for new tab in foreground, center for regular click. Unfortunately when I set this up it passes the original click through along with the cmd-click or whatever, so it wind up opening the link both in a new tab and in the current tab. Is there a better way to do something like this? In Firefox I'm used to Super Drag type extensions that let you do this with dragging links but anything that lets me use just the touchpad would be cool..

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

Mac newbie here. I'm trying to get BetterTouchTool set up in Safari so I can tap on the left side of the touchpad to open a link in a new tab in the background, right side for new tab in foreground, center for regular click. Unfortunately when I set this up it passes the original click through along with the cmd-click or whatever, so it wind up opening the link both in a new tab and in the current tab. Is there a better way to do something like this? In Firefox I'm used to Super Drag type extensions that let you do this with dragging links but anything that lets me use just the touchpad would be cool..

You can disable click-to-tap.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

kloa posted:

You can disable click-to-tap.

Can I disable it just for Safari? Because there's no way I'm giving it up everywhere just for this minor convenience..

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Can I disable it just for Safari? Because there's no way I'm giving it up everywhere just for this minor convenience..

Ah, not sure then.

Only other thing I could think is just make it a 3 & 4 finger tap function. I use 3-finger tap for open link in new window.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

kloa posted:

Ah, not sure then.

Only other thing I could think is just make it a 3 & 4 finger tap function. I use 3-finger tap for open link in new window.
That's what I do, 3 finger tap for open in new foreground tab, 4 finger for open in background tab.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Where would I have to go to stop cmd-t bringing up the fonts window in sparrow and some other apps?

This one is a particular annoyance of mine when I try to open a new tab in firefox without it having focus, so I get stuck with an annoying little window that doesn't respond to cmd-w or q but has to be clicked on to disappear :argh:

ManPortable
Nov 8, 2005

Use the tiptaps for opening tabs. I use a single tiptap for switching to the new tab, two finger for opening in the background, and three finger for closing the window. It works well and doesn't click through like you're describing. While we're on the topic I also found setting spaces to use four fingers is nice so I can use the three finger swipe to switch between tabs.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
Does anyone know of an adblock plugin that works with Safari 7?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Mad Wack posted:

GlimmerBlocker works, but it's not a plugin. Still might be worth checking out, though.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Mad Wack posted:

This one works for me, but I'm guessing you've already tried it, I don't think there's any other ad blocker for Safari out there besides local proxies like GlimmerBlocker.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

So, here's a peculiar problem I'm interested to see if anybody else has had before I file a support request - almost all of my purchased apps are missing from the 'Purchases' section of the Mac App Store. (And I have checked the 'My Account' section, there are no hidden apps.) They still show up in the 'Updates' section when updates are available and most (but not all) of them show as 'Installed' rather than listing a price in the store itself, but I'd like to have them displayed in 'Purchases' in case I want to download them all again at some point. Has anybody else had this happen? All my Googling turns up people who've hidden apps without realising it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Curious if anyone has a preference between chrome and safari? For general web use, is either still fine?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Duckman2008 posted:

Curious if anyone has a preference between chrome and safari? For general web use, is either still fine?

They're about the same for most uses yes. I still find Safari to be faster on the whole.

soru
Apr 27, 2003

The Red God has his due, sweet girl, and only death may pay for life.

Duckman2008 posted:

When I first got a rMBP, Chrome was so much slower scrolling that I had to use Safari. Recently I switched back to Chrome and it's much better than it used to be. I think they're both fine choices. Chrome is my pick mainly because I like everything sync'd with other computers.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

I think that they perform about the same these days. I prefer Safari because I had years of bookmark/password/tab-syncing between my iOS and OS X devices thanks to .Mac then MobileMe and now iCloud. Those services are all possible every easily now if you use Chrome on iOS and OS X, but years ago it was more difficult without using Apple's provided solutions. I think I'm just used to Safari on OS X, but I use Chrome all day on my Windows machine at work and don't really have a preference.

Kenshirou
Jan 6, 2007

j.HP, c.Mp xx Flash Kick
I use Chrome exclusively on Windows and Linux, but for Macs I pretty much always use Safari. It feels about the same nowadays and with Safari 7 it will fix most of the niggling issues I've had with it.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Since the upgrade to 10.8.4 my MBP Retina 15" has issues with Wifi when I open up the lid. It finds and connects to the networks fine, but it just doesn't get any data over (which apparently fucks up Firefox enough that I get the "no response" in the Task Viewer). It takes several minutes until I get any data transferred again. If I go into the Network Settings and renew the DHCP lease it works fine all of the sudden. Same issue on several different networks, even the one at home running on a Airport Extreme. Anyone having similar issues? Or any fix for this?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

My ethernet port on my iMac is still giving me grief.

I made a full time machine backup and then nuked the drive, reinstalled Mountain Lion from internet recovery. The Ethernet port then worked fine until I attempted to set a static IP, which I previously had set up (for sickbeard/SABNZBD+/other port forwarding). The router wouldnt give it the IP set for the MAC address, and when selecting "manually with DHCP" the whole ethernet port becomes inactive and doesnt recognise the cable is even connected, which is exactly where I was before I formatted. Unfortunately theres no way to get it to become active again.

The port works fine in recovery mode and before booting (the activity light on the router blinks) but as soon as you hit the desktop it shuts down all activity on the port.

Im at work now and the recovery is running at home. Anything I am missing?

plaz
Jul 25, 2006
I bought a mid-2012 Macbook Pro 13", which is now feeling pretty sluggish as I turned on drive encryption and installed every single stupid piece of software I could find.

There's nothing I care deeply about in my home directory that I haven't got backed up elsewhere, so rather than pick out all the crap I figured I'd just reinstall OSX on it. I booted into the recovery partition and hit the 'Reinstall OSX' button, but it came back with an error saying that it couldn't verify my machine's eligibility and that I should contact Applecare.

The laptop came with Mountain Lion, but Mountain Lion isn't listed under my purchases in the app store -- presumably because it came bundled with my computer rather than having been purchased individually? Ideally I'd rather not buy another copy of the OS; surely I can reinstall it without having to buy it again?

So yeah, I feel like I must be doing something dumb .. it seems like it shouldn't be this difficult. Do I just need to do like the error message says and contact Apple?

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
You should probably contact Apple, yeah. The reinstall should 'just work' on computers that came with whatever version of the OS you're trying to install.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

DarkJC posted:

You should probably contact Apple, yeah. The reinstall should 'just work' on computers that came with whatever version of the OS you're trying to install.

That being said, the mid-2012 MBPs sure DIDN'T come with Mountain Lion, at least not when they first come out (I don't know if Apple updates this over the time they get sold).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plaz
Jul 25, 2006

flavor posted:

That being said, the mid-2012 MBPs sure DIDN'T come with Mountain Lion, at least not when they first come out (I don't know if Apple updates this over the time they get sold).

Yeah, I'm a bit fuzzy on exactly what happened there. I think it may have arrived with Lion, but then I got a free upgrade based on the date I bought the machine. But if that were the case, I would have assumed that Mountain Lion would show up in my app store purchases.

But anyway, I'll contact Apple and see what they say. On that note, would taking it in to an Apple store achieve the same as calling Applecare, or are the Apple store employees just going to tell me to go away and phone Applecare?