Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Captain Invictus posted:

People gettin' mad about the anime up in that thread, and thinkin' that the final shot of Eren-Titan punching Mikasa was a BAD THING. :allears:

Yeah, people are upset about there not being enough action and too much dialogue and boy howdy they are watching the wrong show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

On the surface this looked like yet another "why try, everything is futile :smug:" grimdark bullshit series. I'm glad I trusted the reputation enough to delve a bit deeper into it and now I've basically marathoned it in a day. I can't think of many series that have the author put such loving detail into every single aspect of the plot.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Tonfa posted:

On the surface this looked like yet another "why try, everything is futile :smug:" grimdark bullshit series. I'm glad I trusted the reputation enough to delve a bit deeper into it and now I've basically marathoned it in a day. I can't think of many series that have the author put such loving detail into every single aspect of the plot.

Actually, this is a great way to go into a story I've been meaning to tell.

See, me and a bunch of nerdy friends had a 'party' because two of us are going into the military, and leaving at the end of this month. So we played some games, and eventually got tired of that, and started watching anime on the guy's 360, so I downloaded the Chrunchyroll App and logged into my account to show them Attack on Titan. They were all freaking out over every death, and I was teasing them by constantly asking who the protagonist was out of the main three, at the end of each episode, up until Mikasa was cornered by two titans (one of which was Eren-Titan) where one of them was like 'oh god she's gonna die too and then Armin's gonna turn out to be the real protagonist', and another was like 'Well maybe he'll turn out like Simon'

And then I unpaused it and let them see Eren-Titan go ape on the other titan and they were all like "WHAT THE FUUUUUUCK"

It was perfect.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

KittyEmpress posted:

Because it seemed to be what was hinted at during the beginning of the manga? At least to my eyes it did, what with the talking about him doing it and thinking of a task, and having the form come to complete it.

The point of that was he only thought about stopping the cannonball so his titan form developed just enough to get the job done. It wasn't a different form. It was just an incomplete transformation based on what Eren wanted to accomplish.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

JosephWongKS posted:

Annie, Reiner and Bertholdt, all of whom have much more experience with their titan forms than Eren, have only ever demonstrated one titan form each, so why should Eren be more versatile than them?

Reiner and Annie have shown some ability to control their form, and Bert did that thing where he formed only the top half of his body. Could be everyone just finds something that works and goes with that.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

JosephWongKS posted:

Annie, Reiner and Bertholdt, all of whom have much more experience with their titan forms than Eren, have only ever demonstrated one titan form each, so why should Eren be more versatile than them?

They are naturally occurring Titan/humans and Eren isn't. Most people expect him to be somewhat weaponized by his father and capable of more.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

SirDan3k posted:

They are naturally occurring Titan/humans and Eren isn't.

That hasn't been said.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Schwarzwald posted:

That hasn't been said.

Yeah, this. It's entirely possible that Eren's dad had been part of a group that had been doing this for years. Just as speculation, but consider that the group doing it has been there all along, and are responsible for all human titans. We already have multiple faction theories just all over the place, so some rebels or small villages of test subject titans aren't far off. After the first attack is when the wall-cult gained so much momentum(they didn't mention how long it's been around, just that it became a major player in the past 5 years) and I can think of no better place to pull in people willing to become human titans than a group of people fanatically devoted to them.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Schwarzwald posted:

That hasn't been said.

No but it is assumed by a good chunk of people since they shown such levels of interest in Eren that'd they'd risk and blow their cover. Granted their interest may just be in if the wall city can duplicate the process that created them.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

SirDan3k posted:

No but it is assumed by a good chunk of people since they shown such levels of interest in Eren that'd they'd risk and blow their cover. Granted their interest may just be in if the wall city can duplicate the process that created them.

We don't really know why they're so interested in Eren. You have what we call in the medical field 'confirmation bias'.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.

Vincent Valentine posted:

Yeah, people are upset about there not being enough action and too much dialogue and boy howdy they are watching the wrong show.

By action I'm assuming they mean sword pushing, training arches and mid-battle conversations.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Not sure why the artist added in Gaius from Fire Emblem Awakening, but...I'll let it pass.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Doflamingo posted:

We don't really know why they're so interested in Eren. You have what we call in the medical field 'confirmation bias'.

I'll confirm your face's bias with my fist science boy.

Yeah it's just speculation, but we've got very little concrete anything at this point.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Tezcatlipoca posted:

The point of that was he only thought about stopping the cannonball so his titan form developed just enough to get the job done. It wasn't a different form. It was just an incomplete transformation based on what Eren wanted to accomplish.

That isn't exclusive to Eren either, Bert only summoned half his collosal titan form on top of the wall too.

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

Could they be after Eren because of Pixis's bluff that he's part of new military experiments? Or did they already find out that it was false? (Don't remember if they were present at the court stuff and/or if it was brought up there)

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Besides the orangutan aren't all the titans around the same age?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Besides the orangutan aren't all the titans around the same age?
Ymir's age is unknown, unless I missed that part. So, she could be around the same age as the rest of the 104th, or a little older. She definitely looks to be one of the older characters in the series.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

AradoBalanga posted:

Not sure why the artist added in Gaius from Fire Emblem Awakening, but...I'll let it pass.

Mr. Potatohead is a nice touch. :3:

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...

AradoBalanga posted:

I found the... tenuous link between Gaius and potatoes.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

KittyEmpress posted:

Because it seemed to be what was hinted at during the beginning of the manga? At least to my eyes it did, what with the talking about him doing it and thinking of a task, and having the form come to complete it.

It seemed pretty clear to me that it was only a matter of how much of the whole body was formed; not sure where you got the idea that he could manifest different types of bodies.

It would have been pretty dumb and reminiscent of a more battle-focused shounen series if he had the ability to turn into a speed form, strength form, defensive form, etc.

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Yet another violation of regulation 1910 subpart D.
I've been really enjoying this. I love the way the titans are depicted as these eldritch monstrosities and so little about them is explained, although their horror factor is somewhat limited in that some characters seem to mow them down like grass. The characters are developed decently and while there's a lot of pontificating and soul-searching it's kept brief-ish. I generally don't care much for anime and manga but this one is definitely something special.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Skilled people like Mikasa don't have much trouble with single titans, but the problem is that there are never single titans. Titans come in numbers, they are relentless and humans get worn out and run out of equipment.

Zwitterion
Jun 14, 2013

Serious Frolicking posted:

Skilled people like Mikasa don't have much trouble with single titans, but the problem is that there are never single titans. Titans come in numbers, they are relentless and humans get worn out and run out of equipment.

misaka can combat multiple titans at once though. she isn't limited to solo engagement. While it is favorable to take them on one at a time, its not necessary for her.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zwitterion posted:

misaka can combat multiple titans at once though. she isn't limited to solo engagement. While it is favorable to take them on one at a time, its not necessary for her.

Even Misaka can run out of gas and blades too, as she did in Episode 8 just before Rage-Titan came into the picture.

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009

JosephWongKS posted:

Even Misaka can run out of gas and blades too, as she did in Episode 8 just before Rage-Titan came into the picture.

Hence one of Armin's most important roles: carrying spare equipment and giving it to Mikasa.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lestaki posted:

Hence one of Armin's most important roles: carrying spare equipment and giving it to Mikasa.

Come to think of it, there really should be dedicated pack mules for the "one-person army" soldiers like Mikasa and Rivaille / Levi. Aircraft carriers and other capital ships have entire convoys of ships doing nothing but carrying supplies for the capital ships; why shouldn't the Recon Corps apply the same principal?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

JosephWongKS posted:

Come to think of it, there really should be dedicated pack mules for the "one-person army" soldiers like Mikasa and Rivaille / Levi. Aircraft carriers and other capital ships have entire convoys of ships doing nothing but carrying supplies for the capital ships; why shouldn't the Recon Corps apply the same principal?
Or even carrying a few extra canisters on their back.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Jackard posted:

Or even carrying a few extra canisters on their back.

or digging holes or using trip wires or basic traps

or their brains

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

JosephWongKS posted:

Wasn't that the point of the supply squad at Trost?

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!

JosephWongKS posted:

I was just thinking the same thing while re-reading the defense of Trost stuff. Since titans don't go after anything but humans, they should have had horses stationed around Trost with supplies just in case (probably didn't have time to set that up, though). It could have helped with the end especially, luring titans in the plaza away while Eren plugged the hole.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Flavahbeast posted:

Wasn't that the point of the supply squad at Trost?

Yup. The supply squads were supposed to head out into the city to resupply the active fighters.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

Kusaru posted:

I was just thinking the same thing while re-reading the defense of Trost stuff. Since titans don't go after anything but humans, they should have had horses stationed around Trost with supplies just in case (probably didn't have time to set that up, though). It could have helped with the end especially, luring titans in the plaza away while Eren plugged the hole.

A dog that carries a canister of gas on its neck.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

cisneros posted:

You would need a fairly large breed of dog to accomplish that. Correct me if I'm wrong but I haven't seen too many domestic animals like dogs or cats in this series. It might be a strain on available resources to feed, house, and train dogs to bring out gas when a human could; do the same job, still fight if need be, carry a much larger load.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

cisneros posted:

Strap explosives on the soldiers so they can blow up when captured.

Leviabeetus
Feb 14, 2010

Jackard posted:

Strap explosives on the soldiers so they can blow up when captured.

This would actually be a better way of fighting titans than how they have been. Get swallowed while still alive and trigger the explosives while going down it's throat. Probably be hell on morale, though.

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!

Stupid Boob posted:

This would actually be a better way of fighting titans than how they have been. Get swallowed while still alive and trigger the explosives while going down it's throat. Probably be hell on morale, though.

They should have done that on the population-culling suicide mission, though it may have been slightly more obvious.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Titans don't always or even usually eat people alive and whole. They crush, chew and dismember most people before swallowing. I'd say that only around half of the titans we've seen are even capable of swallowing someone whole.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

SirDan3k posted:

Yeah, someone a few pages back was saying that they think there are two methods of Human-Titans our there; Ymir and the Monkey for one and Eren, Reiner, Bert and Annie on the other. But I'm more leaning towards Reiner, Bert and Annie being part of some tribe of humans that sometimes develop natural Titan abilities and the reason that they sent three kids on this mission is because that's literally all they have. Eren is a total one off and that's why they are interested in him. I'd go so far as to say it was Reiner and Co.'s people in the walls and they've been near wiped out by Sasquash's people now but this entire thing is just utterly baseless speculation. And they seem to be going somewhere within the walls now? I was sure they were from outwith the walls.

Basically, I'm kind of going crazy waiting for this each month now.

Rohan Kishibe fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jun 18, 2013

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Prison Warden posted:

and the reason that they sent three kids on this mission is because that's literally all they have.
Four, assuming Bert & Ernie's friend who got eaten by Ymir in the flashback was also a human-titan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I read very little manga but my brother's gotten into this lately. Is the whole thing, well, comically dark? I tried watching Evangelion and it really reminded me of A Series of Unfortunate Events so I couldn't really get interested. This seems interesting and all but I find it hard to stay engaged in something that tries too hard to stay dark. :shrug: