Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION

TrueChaos posted:

Alright, so I'm in the market for a cordless impact wrench. I don't have any other cordless tools at this point, so I'm not limited to a specific brand, though I'd like it if the brand had a good reputation across a variety of cordless stuff.

I'm open to drill/driver combos, as I don't actually own a drill. Primary use will be wheels/random stuck bolts that I can get the driver on to. I'm in Canada, but I live close enough to the border to go pick stuff up. No harbor freight nearby though unfortunately.

What should I be looking at?

I've heard good things about the Dewalt high-torque 1/2"... The one with the retention ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

TrueChaos posted:

Alright, so I'm in the market for a cordless impact wrench. I don't have any other cordless tools at this point, so I'm not limited to a specific brand, though I'd like it if the brand had a good reputation across a variety of cordless stuff.

I'm open to drill/driver combos, as I don't actually own a drill. Primary use will be wheels/random stuck bolts that I can get the driver on to. I'm in Canada, but I live close enough to the border to go pick stuff up. No harbor freight nearby though unfortunately.

What should I be looking at?

Are you looking for a 3/8" or 1/2" impact?

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Jared592 posted:

I've heard good things about the Dewalt high-torque 1/2"... The one with the retention ring.

I will take a look - those don't seem to be ridiculously priced. Whats the practical difference between the retention ring and the detent pin?

Brain Issues posted:

Are you looking for a 3/8" or 1/2" impact?

I don't really have a preference - the majority of the stuff I've been looking at is 1/2", but that's just because it's what I've seen.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
3/8 impact driver -- good for building a deck or installing a new big-screen tv on your wall.
1/2 impact wrench -- good for working on cars.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

kastein posted:

Do yourself a favor and never use that "flare wrench" you made on brake lines.

There is a reason flare wrenches/line wrenches are a thing, it's because they cover 5 corners of the hexagon, have enough thickness/strength to not spread under torque, and still have an open slot to get the drat thing back off the line after.

Closed end wrenches on the other hand are thin so you can work in tight cramped spaces... and will spread open if you try to use them on a tight fitting. And round all the corners off and make you very unhappy.
In this case, I didn't need it as a flare wrench, I just needed a wrench for a place I had next to no side clearance on and no rear clearance; was easier to turn a box wrench into a flare wrench than grind down a spanner. I think it'd snap if I ever tried to put a lot of torque on it.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

revmoo posted:

3/8 impact driver -- good for building a deck or installing a new big-screen tv on your wall.
1/2 impact wrench -- good for working on cars.

I barely ever use my impact (Ingersoll Rand IR231C, not some cheap lovely one) because the only things I need it for (axle nuts, large suspension bolts, etc) generally tell it to get hosed, even with my compressor turned up to 120-140psi.

Everything else... sure I could use the impact, but I could just slap a socket on the breaker bar and pop them off in a second, too.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kastein posted:

I barely ever use my impact (Ingersoll Rand IR231C, not some cheap lovely one) because the only things I need it for (axle nuts, large suspension bolts, etc) generally tell it to get hosed, even with my compressor turned up to 120-140psi.

Everything else... sure I could use the impact, but I could just slap a socket on the breaker bar and pop them off in a second, too.

I don't have problems with my old rear end Craftsman 1/2" impact...seems to do that job when I need it. But what I absolutely hate trying to live without is my 3/8" air ratchet. I use it for drat near everything.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Sockington posted:

I wish they sold their wobbles and extensions separate because I use 1/4" ones as banding winders at work.

I cut the head tips off them, and cut a 3/4" deep slot down at the top of the extension with a dremel. Then I can wrap up banding to tighten poo poo down (think pallet straps, etc) with a 1/4" ratchet. I have a jack & sealer for normal sized jobs, but the ratchet is handy for small poo poo and weighs nothing.

None of you probably have any idea what I'm talking about. I feel like this sounded like a General Failure post.

Ouch :(

Are you talking about using them for gripping things, sort of like those oil filter wrenches that use the bike chain? Poor analogy but the handle is twisted to tighten the chain. It's about the only thing I can think of. Or are you actively using this creation to pull things together or something?

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
I have that Dewalt impact and it zips lug nuts off nicely. For stuck bolts it usually doesn't do more than a wrench and mallet does.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I need to tap a stripped thread but the space is too tight to spin my standard Harbor freight tap set. What are people useing to tap stuff when space is tight?

The taps have the square heads, do they make square sockets or something?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
What size square? Sometimes you can use a normal extension for a socket, just backwards.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

InitialDave posted:

What size square? Sometimes you can use a normal extension for a socket, just backwards.

That is a great idea, I'll give it a shot. I'm at work so I don't have it in front of me. Are there other alternatives?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I hope you're tapping aluminum... even then you should probably splurge and buy a good brand tap for $5 somewhere. The difference is night and day, I used a friend's HF taps once and realized why he hates tapping stuff so much.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

kastein posted:

I hope you're tapping aluminum... even then you should probably splurge and buy a good brand tap for $5 somewhere. The difference is night and day, I used a friend's HF taps once and realized why he hates tapping stuff so much.

I'll use the HF tap set to chase pre-existing threads, but I wouldn't trust it to tap new threads very much.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

daslog posted:

That is a great idea, I'll give it a shot. I'm at work so I don't have it in front of me. Are there other alternatives?

I often just use an regular wrench, but I also have a set of craftsman 8 point sockets for square heads which sound like exactly what you need.

FYI they are often called "double square" by oldtimers if you go out looking for some.

Holdbrooks fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jun 17, 2013

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Am I wrong in thinking that this would probably be fine for what I want?

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...h.jsp?locale=en

I know it's not likely to be as high quality as a DeWALT one, but for 90$ & 220 ft-lbs can I really go wrong? NiCad battery instead of a lithium ion one, but the majority of use is likely just swapping wheels.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Holdbrooks posted:

I often just use an regular wrench, but I also have a set of craftsman 8 point sockets for square heads which sound like exactly what you need.

FYI they are often called "double square" by oldtimers if you go out looking for some.

Also, reminder, 12 is divisible by 4 so if you have the right size 12-pt socket that will work in a pinch.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

TrueChaos posted:

I know it's not likely to be as high quality as a DeWALT one, but for 90$ & 220 ft-lbs can I really go wrong? NiCad battery instead of a lithium ion one, but the majority of use is likely just swapping wheels.

My lithiums die pretty quick torquing lugs

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

TrueChaos posted:

Also Canadian tire branded stuff is junk, but if you aren't expecting it to have any torque, it will be fine.

I have a milwaukee impact driver I use for wheels. I break the nuts with the breaker bar, zip off with impact driver, torque on with torque wrench.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

blindjoe posted:

Also Canadian tire branded stuff is junk, but if you aren't expecting it to have any torque, it will be fine.

I have a milwaukee impact driver I use for wheels. I break the nuts with the breaker bar, zip off with impact driver, torque on with torque wrench.

This is kinda what I expected. I can grab a 350ft-lbs Milwaukee impact with lithium ion battery and charger for like $350.

I always torque the nuts with a torque wrench, just hoping to be able to break them with the impact as well, rather than have to use the breaker bar. Basically I am lazy. Will probably pick up a Milwaukee one - I've used a friends before and it was very nice.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Motronic posted:

I don't have problems with my old rear end Craftsman 1/2" impact...seems to do that job when I need it. But what I absolutely hate trying to live without is my 3/8" air ratchet. I use it for drat near everything.

For those of us poor saps that don't have access to a good air compressor - our prayers are answered!

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M12-12-Volt-Lithium-Ion-3-8-in-Cordless-Ratchet-Kit-2457-21/202957709#.Ub-PTJz3Pu0

Its been getting generally decent reviews as well. We cant expect huge busting power, but for zipping off bolts, can you complain? I am picking one up next paycheck.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Is there an OBDII Android app that records raw data?
I'm not really interested in gauge displays. Torque can record a log, but the values get recorded all at once at a set interval, and that interval is not the same as the broadcast rate. So if I get values recorded 100ms apart but they are broadcast 250ms apart, I get the same data points repeated 2 or 3 times. And if the value doesn't change, I can't tell how many are duplicates and how many are actually broadcast. And then since the data comes in different messages, the values in the log can look out of sync.
I guess I'm just looking to record few PIDs/MIDs asynchronous.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

For those of us poor saps that don't have access to a good air compressor - our prayers are answered!

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M12-12-Volt-Lithium-Ion-3-8-in-Cordless-Ratchet-Kit-2457-21/202957709#.Ub-PTJz3Pu0

Its been getting generally decent reviews as well. We cant expect huge busting power, but for zipping off bolts, can you complain? I am picking one up next paycheck.

Oh, that looks cool. You don't get busting power with an air ratchet anyway. Hell, I end up breaking things free using it like a regular ratchet a lot of the time anyway.

That's priced well enough that I'd consider one for the toolbox in the back of the rover. (you know it will get used)

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

Safety Dance posted:

I'll use the HF tap set to chase pre-existing threads, but I wouldn't trust it to tap new threads very much.

Don't use them to tap anything or even chase threads. They are the lowest of the lowest spec in terms of thread form and tolerance, assuming they even meet that. There's a good chance they open the threads up too far and you lose a ton of strength.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

I'm not really interested in gauge displays. Torque can record a log, but the values get recorded all at once at a set interval, and that interval is not the same as the broadcast rate. So if I get values recorded 100ms apart but they are broadcast 250ms apart, I get the same data points repeated 2 or 3 times. And if the value doesn't change, I can't tell how many are duplicates and how many are actually broadcast. And then since the data comes in different messages, the values in the log can look out of sync.

If you want to get lower level, check out the ELM327 knockoffs on dealextreme. They don't hook up to android directly, but do offer a USB interface to the OBD2 bus, You access the bus through a serial port and send instructions to the ELM chip to communicate with the bus. There's a big data sheet on ELM's site that explains all the operations.

I guess there are bluetooth based ELM327 knockoffs now so maybe you could use one of those with android--assuming there's some kind of Bluetooth serial console app available,

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

I think your best bet is to record a log in torque for the values you want to monitor then set an update interval >= the update interval of your OBD. Sounds like work, I know, but in the grand scheme of things, easier than building a script to manually pull raw data.

I mention this because I don't know of an app that will do what you want.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
The problem with Torque is that it's tabulating the data. The table doesn't seem to account for a value holding steady or dropped messages. I'd need to write a script to clean up the Torque log, and it'd be guessing at that and look a little wonky at times with assumptions.

If instead of
code:
 Device Time			RPM	Speed (OBD)(mph)
22-Jan-2013 17:42:30.626	1458	9.94
22-Jan-2013 17:42:30.726	1474	9.94
22-Jan-2013 17:42:30.826	1474	10.56
I could get
code:
 Device Time			Value
22-Jan-2013 17:42:30.626	1458rpm
22-Jan-2013 17:42:30.675	9.94mph
22-Jan-2013 17:42:30.726	1474rpm
22-Jan-2013 17:42:30.826	10.56mph
it'd be perfect.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

You definitely want it in the first format if you want to plot it in excel or actually look at the data.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
I want to seal the garage floor on my new construction house. What should I use?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Larrymer posted:

You definitely want it in the first format if you want to plot it in excel or actually look at the data.

Fine but then it would be more accurately represented as:

code:
22-Jan-2013 17:42:30.626	1458	
22-Jan-2013 17:42:30.675		9.94
22-Jan-2013 17:42:30.726	1474	
22-Jan-2013 17:42:30.826		10.56

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kmcormick9 posted:

I want to seal the garage floor on my new construction house. What should I use?

Epoxies are expensive, but dont have hot pick up problems They are a bit pricey though.. I'm probably going to go in that direction when I pour a slab in my pole barn.

What you need really depends on what you intend to do in there as well.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION

IOwnCalculus posted:

Fine but then it would be more accurately represented as:

code:
22-Jan-2013 17:42:30.626	1458	
22-Jan-2013 17:42:30.675		9.94
22-Jan-2013 17:42:30.726	1474	
22-Jan-2013 17:42:30.826		10.56

And then maybe add an AVG(cell above, cell below) in each blank to smooth it out.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I bought a $20 face shield the last time I was at Farm and Fleet and have used the thing every weekend since. Everyone should have one of those.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Harbor Freight has them for $3-4. The plastic sheet doesn't seem to shatter, and they are effectively disposable so it's quite nice to shower them with welding sparks and angle grinder sparks and just throw them out when they get pitted and scratched.

I and my insurance spent well over 5k on ER bills and medication when I got a metal fragment in my eye while cutting something with an angle grinder... so I really should be less of an idiot and wear a mask more often.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

kastein posted:

Harbor Freight has them for $3-4. The plastic sheet doesn't seem to shatter, and they are effectively disposable so it's quite nice to shower them with welding sparks and angle grinder sparks and just throw them out when they get pitted and scratched.

I and my insurance spent well over 5k on ER bills and medication when I got a metal fragment in my eye while cutting something with an angle grinder... so I really should be less of an idiot and wear a mask more often.

Do you use them in conjunction with safety glasses? I use safety glasses and get pissed off at how poorly they work. When I was grinding last week a bit of drat hot metal still managed to get in under and into my eye. Made a nice sizzle. Stung like a bitch but I could still sort of see so it was all good this time. It's something I'd rather not happen at all.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
I got a tiny flake of metal in my eye once; was one of the most painful experiences of my life and one of the most miserable medical experiences having to hold my eye open and motionless while the doc shoved another sharp piece of metal in my eye to remove it. The lovely thing is that I WAS wearing safety glasses, but not with proper side-shields.

Wear your safety glasses!

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
I had a blue hot steel chip get past in safety glasses and glue itself to my lower eyelid. I wear my glasses as close fitting as humanly possible now.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

General_Failure posted:

Do you use them in conjunction with safety glasses? I use safety glasses and get pissed off at how poorly they work. When I was grinding last week a bit of drat hot metal still managed to get in under and into my eye. Made a nice sizzle. Stung like a bitch but I could still sort of see so it was all good this time. It's something I'd rather not happen at all.

This is just the truth of safety glasses. It doesn't mean you shouldn't wear them, but they're generally sort of garbage. I grind with a faceshield or an autodark welding helmet in grind mode because the bounce isn't as bad. Glasses are fine when you're working in-position, but when does that ever happen?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Wiley sells some nice safety glasses with, instead of side shields, eye socket-fitting foam, for exactly that kind of debris-heavy environment. Stops sweat from coming in from above, to boot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

General_Failure posted:

I don't wear safety glasses because they enrage me. At least, the birth-control style ones that actually do anything enrage me. All they do is push my glasses all over the place and collect sweat and itch.

grover posted:

I got a tiny flake of metal in my eye once; was one of the most painful experiences of my life and one of the most miserable medical experiences having to hold my eye open and motionless while the doc shoved another sharp piece of metal in my eye to remove it. The lovely thing is that I WAS wearing safety glasses, but not with proper side-shields.

Wear your safety glasses!

Tiny tiny fragment from grinding (basically one of the sparks) made it into my eye on new years eve 09-10. I definitely felt it hit, from the amount of pain I thought it was a lot bigger, couldn't see anything in the mirror so I thought it just scratched my eye. 3 days later it was getting increasingly painful, extremely sensitive to light, etc, I checked for stuff in there probably a dozen times. Was at a friends house with the lights mounted at a different angle and finally saw it.

Probably 1/10mm diameter metal particle had embedded itself 1/3 of the way through my cornea. So I went to mass ear and eye infirmary and spent way too much money having them dig it out with a burr first, then a needle to get the tiny little rust particles out. There's still a little left, and when I get dehydrated that eye gets stabbing pains, but there's nothing really to be done about it at this point.

A few months later a particle found its way past my face shield (bad angle, stupid mistake), but I recognized the itchy feeling the next morning and successfully removed it myself using a very strong rare earth magnet put into the finger of a sterilized rubber glove. A few hours later it was fine again.

I ran the numbers and I could have bought a new harbor freight face shield every single day for the next 4 years for what it cost me and my insurance in ER/specialist bills. And I wouldn't have to put steroid eyedrops and antibiotic ointment in my loving eye for a week and a half, either.

Do as I say, not as I do. Wear your goddamn mask. I have been getting lazy about them recently, which is loving stupid.