Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

My favorite bit of Aquarion in Z1 doesn't even involve Aquarion. On Rand's route before the Aquarion joins for real it shows up a couple of times as a temporary unit. In one particular mission everyone is thrilled when they hear that 3 large Jets are coming towards the battlefield, but are disappointed when the jets arrive and combine into the Getter Dragon. The combination of the Getter Team being gung-ho and ready to help and ZEUTH being confused about who they are is lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
Super Robots: conservation of mass is for pussies.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AradoBalanga posted:

Z Special Disk explains it. They return during the bonus King Gainer XAN mini-campaign and bring back Aquarion.

Renton also gets Nirvash back during this, although that obviously doesn't come into play in Z2.

Hilariously they also reveal that Gym survived the original game although he does finally get his.

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
Living in a greenhouse, growing crops that we can't eat...
Wow, I don't remember the Giant Rose Hand Punch at all, but that might just be because I didn't bother with Aquarion most of the time. Can you still switch the pilots around and get Flaming Soccer Kick?

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Wounded Land posted:

Wow, I don't remember the Giant Rose Hand Punch at all, but that might just be because I didn't bother with Aquarion most of the time. Can you still switch the pilots around and get Flaming Soccer Kick?

I'm not sure, but I think they got it out of that Aquarion pachinko game? It had all sorts of amazingly crazy poo poo going on.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
The Flaming Soccer Kick is available if you switch out Apollo and make Pierre the pilot of Vector Sol. But that would involve not having Mugen Punch so why would you ever want to do that? There are about 5 possible pilot combinations for the Aquarion and you pick which set you want. The game doesn't let you customise who pilots what beyond that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sadly Pierre didn't get his ridiculous DribbleDribbleDribble attack which would have made him a lot more useful. It only shows up in the Z1 Special Disc as a cutscene attack.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

ImpAtom posted:

Sadly Pierre didn't get his ridiculous DribbleDribbleDribble attack which would have made him a lot more useful. It only shows up in the Z1 Special Disc as a cutscene attack.

The ridiculousness of this attack can't be expressed in words, so let people watch for themselves:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSAlmpa-mOA
GOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL! :byodood:

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

HiKaizer posted:

The Flaming Soccer Kick is available if you switch out Apollo and make Pierre the pilot of Vector Sol. But that would involve not having Mugen Punch so why would you ever want to do that? There are about 5 possible pilot combinations for the Aquarion and you pick which set you want. The game doesn't let you customise who pilots what beyond that.

I thought flaming football kick was Aquarion Mars.

edit: vvv I checked, Pierre only uses Vector Mars.

ActionZero fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jun 4, 2013

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!

ActionZero posted:

I thought flaming football kick was Aquarion Mars.

I could be misremembering, but I was sure that Pierre took Sol in Z2 when you could use it. I am sure Caphi can correct me if I'm wrong though.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

You know what this means?

Apollo has a brand new moon to punch again and again. :allears:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Brunom1 posted:

The ridiculousness of this attack can't be expressed in words, so let people watch for themselves:

It's beautiful. :allears:

Honestly, Aquarion was probably one of the more difficult series' to integrate into the main plot and Z1, and I'm really impressed at how well they pulled it off. All the other shows except for Big O had at least one other show they could be easily tied to (ZAFT vs. Titans and assorted Earth Assholes, the various Super Robot villains forming a massive alien alliance, etc), but Aquarion was so different and its villains were so busy with their own thing that they could easily have wound up feeling superfluous the way, say, G Gundam felt in J - but I never really felt that way. It helps when they get Character Development + Bitchin' new attacks every 6-7 missions or so. :allears:

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
So let's meet Aquarion! This sentence will make sense in a little bit: I personally prefer pilot Set D, but in the spirit of LPing, I'll go with any preferences expressed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ew2euFH2JM

Also, while I was going back over I got you a new bonus video.

Aquarion Basics: Transforming
==============
Aquarion is exactly like Getter Robo. Three forms, three sets of weapons, only the main pilot's skills work but Spirits work on everyone. The three forms are Solar Aquarion, the main form you're always going to use; Aquarion Mars, the quick, close-range (mostly) one; and Aquarion Luna, the tough, shooty (mostly) one.

This is the simplest thing about Aquarion.

Pilot Sets
==============
Basically, Aquarion has five sets of subpilots it can carry. Four of them correspond to permutations of Sirius d'Alicia (set A+C) or Pierre Viera (B+D) in the Mars seat and Silvia d'Alicia (A+B) or Reika Kou (C+D) in Luna. The fifth one is a fixed loadout of Jun Lee and Tsugumi Rosenmeyer, the kids of the team. We'll be meeting all of these pilots, obviously. As a rule of thumb, the combination of Sirius and Silvia is set A for a reason - it gets some unique goodies the others don't, and on the occasion that Aquarion is required to deploy, it is going to be with them.

Aquarion in Z was terribly cool because you could leave Aquarion with the canon Set A, buy the artificial Aquarion from the show, and crew it with the secondary characters, including Rena Rune, or Tsugumi and Jun. But sorry, you have to choose now.

The Element System
==============
Element usefulness is skewed a little by Aquarion's special trait. It activates at 130 Will (this depends on the current head pilot alone) and simply synchronizes the head's stats to the highest of that stat among the three pilots onboard Aquarion. This is mainly for Apollo's benefit, because while he isn't a bad pilot, the others have their own PP banks, and a little investment can turn Solar Aquarion into a monster.

The Elements in Z2 are, in fact, built around Apollo using the Element System. Each of their Ace bonuses is worth a significant (250 PP worth) kick to a single stat, and it's usually the stat that pilot already specialized in. Sirius and Pierre provide Melee and Defense, respectively, Silvia and Reika are a choice between Ranged and Skill, and the Wonder Twins set gives a kick to both Accuracy and Evasion. Investing PP can push this boost up even further, and all that training gets funneled into Apollo for some really unfair results.

Solar Aquarion (Apollo)
==============

Skills
Psychic L3
Prevail L7
Spirit Block
Spirits
Guts
Strike
Drive
Invincible
Traits
Element System
Transform
Weapons
Beam Gun (8 ammo)
Solar Fist (5 EN)
Infinity Punch (40 EN, 115 Will)
Fire Fist (50 EN, 125 Will) (Pierre)
Infinity Cross (60 EN, 130 Will) (Sirius)
Super 3D Infinity Punch (70 EN, 135 Will, size) (Sirius and Silvia)
Instant Comeback Punch (85 EN, 140 Will, barrier, size)
Ace Bonus: Deploys at +20 Will.

Apollo is always in the head of Solar Aquarion. I'm not going to lie, the whole unit pretty much revolves around him and Solar. His Ace Bonus sends him out at 125 Will right out the gate, putting him a stone's throw (or a shot of adrenaline) away from triggering the Element System, as well as instantly letting him use the Infinity Punch.

Solar Aquarion is also the only Aquarion (with one exception) whose weapons change depending on its subpilots, rather than its main pilot. The value of using Sirius and Silvia together is a bit diminished, since Aquarion's strongest attack isn't the Solar Sword, which needs them, but the Instant Comeback (a.k.a. Flower Crush) Punch, which anyone can do (I think, in the show, it was done with Silvia and Reika). However, having the two still enables the 3D Infinity Punch, for what that's worth. Pierre's Fire Fist is just a lighter version of Sirius' Infinity Cross, with a little less range and slightly leaner requirements.

Basically, Sirius and Silvia were the only way to go in Z. In Z2-1, this is much less the case. Dependence on them is a bit mitigated, and the other pilots have things to say for themselves.

Aquarion Mars
==============

Traits
Element System
Blade
Transform
Weapons
Beam Gun (8 ammo)
Star Blade (5 EN)
Long Range Saber (30 EN, 115 Will) (Sirius)
Psychic Snapshot (56 EN, 125 Will) (Jun)
Burning Fire Goal (70 EN, 125 Will, size) (Pierre)
Jealousy Sword (40 EN, 125 Will) (Sirius and Silvia)

Sirius' Mars gets the strongest and most efficient of Mars' attacks, but only if he's with his sister, due to Aquarion shenanigans. Other than its cost, though, the Fire Goal competes with the Jealousy Sword for damage (and is way cooler). Jun's Mars is an exception in that Psychic Snapshot is a 1-7 ranged move, while Pierre's and Sirius' are midrange (P) attacks.

I can't get shots of the alternate Aquarions' attack tables, because the game won't let me switch out Set A for a reasonable reason right now. Sorry.

Sirius d'Alicia
Skills
Psychic L4
Block
Predict
Spirits
Mercy
Accel
Alert
Ace Bonus: +25 Melee.

Pierre Viera
Skills
Psychic L3
Prevail L5
Offensive Support L2
Spirits
Vigor
Invincible
Luck
Ace Bonus: +25 Defense.

Jun Lee
Skills
Psychic L3
EN Save
Will+ (Hit)
Spirits
Scan
Analyze
Focus
Attune
Ace Bonus: +25 Accuracy.

Statistically, Sirius and Pierre are better at their respective stats even before the Ace Bonus kicks in; building either up can make Aquarion equally invincible, and Apollo's PP picks up the slack. Sirius' other stats (Skill, Accuracy, Evasion) are higher and he's better overall, plus he's less of an EN hog on the occasions you use Mars for something substantial. Personally, I prefer Pierre just because I like him better, I like Fire Fist and Fire Goal better, and he comes free with Offensive Support and a civilized Prevail level. I've used both though. Jun, meanwhile, is a reasonable support pilot, I guess (he is eventually destined to get Rouse if you use him).

Whoever it is, I like giving them Dash so I can use Mars as a Getter-2 knockoff. The Star Blade is better for dashing about than Luna's bow.

Aquarion Luna
==============

Traits
Element System
Transform
Weapons
Beam Gun (8 ammo)
Lunatic Archery (10 ammo)
Rising Thunder (30 EN, 115 Will) (Reika)
Moonsault Attack (3 ammo, 125 Will) (Silvia)
Reverse Psychograph Explosion (60 EN, 130 Will, barrier, size) (Tsugumi)

Luna is the runt of the bunch. It's ammo-based (moreso with Silvia) and largely ranged (though as the pilot-dependent specials go, only the Moonsault Attack is ranged; Reika's and Tsugumi's are both post-movement). Use its seat for Spirits, Elements, and supporting.

Silvia d'Alicia
Skills
Psychic L4
Offensive Support L2
Defensive Support L1
Spirits
Focus
Trust
Guard
Ace Bonus: +25 Ranged.

Reika Kou
Skills
Psychic L3
Counter L5
Defensive Support L2
Spirits
Gain
Focus
Accel
Ace Bonus: +25 Skill.

Tsugumi Rosenmeyer
Skills
Psychic L3
Will+ (damage)
Defensive Support L3
Spirits
Guard
Gain
Invincible
Ace Bonus: +25 Evasion.

This time, Reika's stats are better, almost enough to make up for choosing Pierre over Sirius. Silvia's advantages are what she gives to Solar and Mars (if using Sirius), that she comes with Offensive Support, and all the healing (Trust and Faith) and Love in her Spirit pool. Her Ranged is good, excellent when Aced, but only Luna has a ranged attack other than the little beam shooter, so as an Element she doesn't quite pull her weight. Personally, I like abusing Reika's Skill bump to hand Apollo Attack Again and double Infinity Punch things to death. Her Spirit Pool is also sort of supporty, with Accel, Rouse, and (ironically) Bless. Her Accel is good if you're using Pierre, since he doesn't have it. Silvia and Reika also both have Attune, so I'm pretty sure they knew Vector Luna was going to be a big old SP bank.

Like Jun, Tsugumi doesn't have much to compete with either Silvia or Reika, but can come into her own as a subpilot late in the game if fed: her Spirit pool includes Renew, Love, and a reasonably-priced version of Exhaust.

The prevalence of Defensive Support suggests Luna is supposed to be a tank, but only Apollo and Pierre come with Prevail.

Next week: Forget all that, it's time for more Code Geass!

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME
I love Aquarion in the Z2 series, but I almost always used Pilot Set D. Pierre and Reika are so much more likable, and Pierre's attacks are some of the funnest stuff in the game. Soccer players make for the best robot pilots. I don't think I ever used E, and A came in on occasion for the better attacking options much later on. Such a good robot, it got me to watch Evol. since it was free on some Xbox App. That was a mistake.

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
...Did they change Sylvia's portrait? I don't remember her looking quite so eager in Z1.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

How the gently caress did that work?!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

veekie posted:

IT makes more sense in Z1, where it is an ALL attack and each part of FootSwordCube hits a different enemy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrZSUvfSXsU

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
Oh my God I think I need to go watch Aquarion right NOW. That video makes absolutely no sense and it looks glorious. :allears:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

veekie posted:

Like I said before, Aquarion is Shoji Kawamori tripping acid on OVERDRIVE. Trying to make sense of Aquarion's attacks will only cause pain and suffering. Trying to make sense of the plot reveals in the show adds further agony. You're better off throwing your hands in the air and just accepting what's there.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

ImpAtom posted:

IT makes more sense in Z1, where it is an ALL attack and each part of FootSwordCube hits a different enemy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrZSUvfSXsU

I don't think Aquarion is that great a series, but goddamn it is a hell of a trip.

veekie posted:

Aquarion does whatever the gently caress it wants.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Brunom1 posted:

They're saving this for Z3. I refuse to believe that Banpresto would leave something this beautiful in a cutscene.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Dr Pepper posted:

They're saving this for Z3. I refuse to believe that Banpresto would leave something this beautiful in a cutscene.

I want to believe, but unfortunately, Pierre is not the protagonist, so I doubt it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dr Pepper posted:

Odds are unfortunately fairly good that Z3 is going to replace Aquarion with Aquarion Evol. Probably Eureka 7 with AO too.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

veekie posted:

You cannot comprehend Foot Sword Cube.

SaitoBatch
Jun 16, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Odds are unfortunately fairly good that Z3 is going to replace Aquarion with Aquarion Evol. Probably Eureka 7 with AO too.

I honestly hope they just add Evol and AO instead of replacing them. Cause I wanna see how people respond to double Renton and "I found my smelly wench!"

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Crowe decides he might as well go to Area 11, where things are likely to get "interesting". Ime will probably follow him wherever he goes, and so will the DAMons.

This happens again. Ime briefly and unhelpfully explains the Stigma.

But forget that, Nunnally catches Lelouche tiptoeing about the Ashford clubhouse. She thought he was studying abroad, and he quickly lies that he just got back and didn't tell her so he could surprise her. And how long can he stay? Lelouche says that his "home abroad" is in some trouble, so he isn't sure. She wants to hear all about it and goes to get him some tea.

But Lelouch has business to get to. He's left C. C. babysitting Nunnally (and she doesn't miss that it's at least as much to keep her out of trouble as Nunnally). She tells him that she's doing fine, but she's stronger than Lelouche things she is. In fact, she'd say he's overbearing - and that she thinks he's more in need of protection.

Lelouche, why are you Lelouche?
Now you want to discuss philosophy?
You changed your family name to Lamperouge, but kept your own name of Lelouche.
You're being sentimental. You can't let go of the past.
And what about yours?
I would say "C. C." is going too far. It's scarcely a name any human would have.
So, Lelouche. Do you know why snow is white?
You're changing the subject.
Snow is white because it's forgotten whatever color it was before.
C. C....

Chirico is visiting home too, over in the Shinjuku Ghetto. Cocoana and Vanilla have heard all about his adventures in GOONZ; Chirico, of course, receives his welcome wagon with his usual vivacity. And oh yeah, the other rebels Black Knights are home too, but forget them. Chirico is special, and Goto's crew is convinced that he's destined to take down their hellish ghetto. The Colony kids know that feeling, and likely, so do the Elevens now that Zero has become a household name.

The rebels are glad that the Colony Gundam pilots are here to help out, but Wufei is here for no such thing. He has all sorts of doubts about Zero and wants to learn who he is and what he wants. He's convinced that Zero's "ally of the weak" act is just a means to an end (:ssh:).

Tamaki protests, but Zero has been listening for a while and coolly walks on stage. Wufei, on the other hand, knew he was there and doesn't particularly care if Zero knows he doesn't trust him. Zero admits that he has no way of proving that his only interest really is the liberation of Japan, other than by demonstrating through his actions. It's a clever bit of politics, and Wufei has no response, but Heero asks a single pointed question: "What should we do if we ever find out you've been lying to us?"

Zero returns the question: "If your suspicions happen to prove true, what would you do?" And Heero responds immediately: "Kill you." GOONZ, everybody! Zero finds that fair, and so does Wufei for now, though it doesn't change his goal of unearthing Zero's secrets.

But on the subject of Zero's actions speaking, he's called in Diethard Reed to talk strategy. Viceroy Cornelia has used the Imperium as an excuse to consolidate Britannia's power within its borders and in turn silence all the resistance forces remaining in the Area, what Diethard calls a "quiet police state" - subtle enough that the citizens don't even know it's there. This resistance has only managed to escape with Zero's tactical support, but the other ones that used to be active are now gone. This includes the Japan Liberation Front, the guys that took that hotel hostage all those months ago, or at least a splinter of it that reformed after Zero killed them all. But, and here's the important part, those guys had a man named Todo the Miracle, a soldier who was key to the only battle Japan won in the war against the Britannian takeover.

Todo would be a tremendous asset to the resistance, both as a commander and for their morale, but he's cornered in the JLF base up in the Narita Mountains. And the worse news is that Cornelia has called in backup from the mainland to crush him once and for all, and with him, the resistance groups' remaining spirit. She's already swallowed her pride to call for aid, so she's not likely to hold anything back. We're looking at not only Todo's defeat, but the utter destruction of the JLF, and that means there's only one option for the Black Knights.

But the Gundam team isn't so sure having a full-on battle with Britannia is a great idea, and despite Tamaki's accusations, it's not because they're worried. Mankind has a lot more to worry about right now than political infighting, and there's no point spending out both the Black Knights and Britannia while aliens and the Imperium are on the loose. Zero argues that if you take that logic to its conclusion, Japan is going to be a vassal of Britannia for the rest of time. He has confidence that we can fight both Britannia and defend humanity at once. "The Japanese must defend themselves. Otherwise, they have no hope of independence. And their spearhead must be the Black Knights."

Back at the Academy, Nina wants to see Euphemia again. She wants to thank her "properly" - no, wait, she actually just means properly - for the hotel thing. But getting a Britannian princess, with the world in its current state, is beyond even Millay's influence. Relena seems to have a thought,

but Lelouche has other business. The other council members are as surprised to see him back like Nunnally was, but he explains that his return was a sudden development. After all, the Imperium is making things unpredictable all over the place. Like Louise, who has surely been called back to her family in Spain?

Louise is too busy making this face to make conversation. Millay explains that she's feeling neglected by Saji, who has been really really busy with his pizza job. "The pizza always arrives hot," she pouts, "but I'm left out in the cold." Rivalz is about to explain what Saji is actually doing, but gets hushed.

Suzaku is also missing. We know more or less where he is, though: the Britannian military lab, though his lips are sealed on details. Karen is, as always, "sick," and even these kids feel like it's an extra long bout this time.

Wait, are you worried about her?
Of course. She's a fellow councilor.
Uh,... Lulu... as long as you're back in town... tomorrow...
What's tomorrow?
Well... I've got tickets to a classical concert, from my dad...
It just happened! But as long as you're here, I don't have anyone else to go with...
Sorry, I'm busy tomorrow. I have to make a presentation on what I've learned abroad.
So I'll be in the library all day preparing it.
No problem! I was just asking!
I hope it goes well for you tomorrow!
Thanks, Shirley. I'll see you around.

And he leaves, leaving Millay to offer Shirley her condolences and Relena to comfort Louise, who's still whining about Saji. The world may be in the shadow of the Imperium, but for these innocent children of Ashford Academy, the war seems like a distant dream...

That'd be an awesome place to get into the upcoming battle, but we do have to check in on Saji, who by sheer coincidence, is delivering a pizza to Lelouche's "maid." C. C. has finally earned enough pizza points to trade for a stuffed doll of Pizza Hut Japan's mascot, Cheese-kun, which she intends to do right now. In fact, she's already collected the first two dolls, so she wants the third. Saji says he'll have that for her within a day, and she says he can bring it to her when she orders another pizza tomorrow. Oh wait, she has somewhere to be tomorrow. Too bad. By the way, he must have saved enough from this job by now to buy those matching rings for himself and his girlfriend, right?

And that was the very important pizza scene. A perfect segue into

Chapter 24: The Battle of Narita
(Area 11 route)

Todo's forces are being wiped out, driving him ever further into the corner.

Cornelia has, indeed, called in support from the mainland. Her knight Dalton is assisted by Graham Aker's Flag forces, and he's certain that today is the end of the JLF. He and Graham even take time to kick back and discuss what an honor it will be for Cornelia to have done this feat, though it will be marred by the fact that she traded her pride for ruthless efficiency. Dalton, too, wishes a little that he hadn't had to share the spotlight. Graham just wishes he'd had the power to bring his proper Overflag squadron. Oh well. "Let us lay the Last Samurai to rest together," grins Dalton. Todo bids his farewells to his closest men, and orders them to make a grand last stand.

Normal. We only have Todo (and his Four Swords, for a team attack). Wipe the board in five turns, which means we are getting reinforcements, and probably so are they. In particular, I don't see the Battle Princess herself anywhere.

Gekka (Kyoshiro Todo)
Skills
Command L2
Predict
Counter L5
Spirits
Focus
Sense
Analyze
Traits
Blade
Weapons
Slash Haken (6 ammo)
Handgun (12 ammo)
Brake Blade: Wailing Ram Strike (15 en)
Wheel of Life and Death Formation (40 EN, 120 Will, barrier, size)
Ace Bonus: Once, if Todo would be reduced to 0 HP by an attack, he will survive with 10 HP.

Todo is good. Just not enough for me to pretend he's a main character of anything, historically. He'll be pretty helpful in Area 11 routes.

I think the Gekka is the Type-3 in the series of Japanese-made Knightmares in which the Burai is the 1 and the Guren is the 2. Unfortunately, it's hard to compete with the nuke arm, and the Brake Blade doesn't really do it.

(Seven years since the Invasion of the East... and now it's finally ending.)
But I will fight until my last breath! Kyoshiro Todo will do battle!

tl;dr Todo wounds things.

Dalton and Graham just watch.

At a base on the mountain side, Bartley Fennet and his men are surprised to find that their lab is so close to a terrorist hideout - which has now become the site of a battle. Bartley starts evacuating his men and purging his computers - "We cannot let our research on Code R fall into the army's hands!"

The Black Knights storm the field, and Zero calls Todo to offer his aid.

Todo just growls that Zero is the last in a long line of fools who have come to him for a miracle. But Zero knows that what Todo did at the last battle wasn't a miracle, it was a tactical victory enabled by expert intelligence, and that's what he really wants out of Todo, not magic. And if Todo lets himself end here, he will not have atoned for what his miracle did for Japan. Zero argues that Japan's occupation by Britannia has been so much more violent than the other territories because Japan surrendered before its forces were exhausted, and more importantly, before their hope was. The resistance has kept heart enough to keep fighting these seven years because of that one victory, the Miracle of Itsukushima, and Zero insists that gives Todo the obligation to continue fighting until his reputation as miracle-worker is dragged through the mud and the Japanese are willing to peacefully submit.

It is, indeed, a hella weird argument. But it works on Todo, which, ironically, gives hope to the resistance, especially seeing how few mecha they're up against. The Gundams, on the other hand, can see plainly that they're just an advance force, and indeed, Cornelia's own forces are in reserve.

Also, you may have noticed that Karen is missing. Zero says he has another job for the Guren. In the meantime, we are to engage the Britannian forces and draw Cornelia's reserves out onto the battlefield.

Sure enough, Cornelia comes out enraged after a couple of kills, and boy, that's a lot of Knightmares. Zero alone seems unruffled by a small army staring him in the face, and goes so far as to say that "if I win this, you would call it a miracle, wouldn't you?" It suddenly dawns on GOONZ that Zero arranged this battle, and Zero almost laughs. "There were only two paths for you from the moment you chose to fight with the Black Knights: Live with me or die with me!"

Then he gives Karen the signal, and Karen shoots the Radiation Wave into the ground.

The entire mountain quakes and Zero gleefully explains that a series of underground rivers flow beneath the Narita mountains. He's just had the Guren shoot an immense amount of heat into the mountain stone, and that heat passes into the groundwater. The resulting steam expansion will shatter the surface and destroy everything above it, and as it happens, Cornelia just mobilized all those Knightmares right onto the earth directly above the point where all those rivers meet.

Her entire platoon gets swallowed and crushed by the earth, as the Black Knights marvel at the trap and show Zero just orchestrated. Todo realizes that if anything is a miracle, Zero just made one happen.

Lelouche, meanwhile, knows that there may be some damage to the surrounding terrain, "but oh well." As Cornelia shouts with wrath, he orders his men to target her Knightmare.

But we can't actually do that. The point is still to defeat all enemies, and since Cornelia is the normal win condition, this means, as always, that she must go last.

Oh, and the Glasgow squad is super dead. They never really had a chance.

Karen is going to have to fight her way through a lot of Knightmares.

She gets severely drained of HP and EN.

Luckily, that's what Ohgi and Tamaki are here for! (because it sure isn't fighting)

And it's a good thing Corny got here in time, because Graham's and Dalton's minions are totally dead thanks to Karen and Quatre.

Zero! I, Jeremiah Gottwald, challenge you!
It's been some time, hasn't it? You look well.
But I'm afraid I haven't time for you at the moment, Sir Orange!
You... dare call me O... Oh... Oooooorange? DIIIIIIIIIIIIIE!

Zero! I will have justice for the death of Clovis, and the deaths of my soldiers!
Hm... even you can't keep your composure in this situation.
But your rage is also your strength... and my true win condition is to strike it down!

Zero's doing terribly well, but Orange isn't looking so good. Let's put him out of his misery.

The Black Knights' ace soldier! Now we shall duel!
Shut it, Britannian! The Guren Type-2 is the beginning of our new resistance!
I won't let you crush the hope of the Japanese people!

Not now! Not when Zero stands before me!!
Grraaaaahh! Again... Again Zero has bested meeeeeeeee!

I probably should have had Zero finish him, but Karen is just too powerful to control.

Anyway, now that he's out of the way, let's check on Graham!

Gundam! We cross paths yet again!
One of the Britannia Union's custom suits.
Don't think I appreciate you less because another has my heart. The warrior within me truly sees you as a worthy adversary!
Another pilot who acts on emotion. But I don't have time for you!

Todo the Miracle... seven years ago, I was just a new recruit who quivered at the thought of battle!
He's... good!
I will redeem myself from seven years ago! By striking down the samurai that made me shake all those years ago myself!
Come on, Kyoshiro Todo! Show me the honor and discipline that once struck me with fear!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IqtYoXd5_I

Todo is your new unit for the chapter, so here's his video.

drat it... all I have to show for this battle is another stain on my honor!
Black Knights... no, GOONZ! I will pay you back for this slight someday!

Let's get all the midbosses out of the way.

I-impossible! Gwaaaaaahh!

I cannot die here! I will retreat!

Gh... to show such failure before the Princess!
Retreat, Dalton!
But...
I have further work for you. I cannot lose you to these curs.
I do not deserve your grace... I will now take my leave, my lady.

Zero learns Invincible (useful!) and Dalton drops a Precision Lens.

Now we've got a bunch of Gloucesters, who are pretty strong Knightmares even when run by generic soldiers, but many of them are already wounded. In addition, we have Guilford and Cornelia, whose Gloucesters are mini-boss class. You can tell Corny's is really good because of the totally awesome horns.

Argh! I must not leave the Princess' side!
Go, Sir Guilford, my knight. You needn't worry about me.
Retreat. Have faith in my prowess.
...yes, my lady. But please, do not be rash.

And that leaves us with just Cornelia. Is her faith in her prowess justified?

Corneliaaaaa!
You challenge me with an Eleven KMF built in the Eleven image?
The Guren Type-2 is the emblem of the Japanese resistance! You're about to feel its weight!
I admit you have skill, but I am no mere figurehead Viceroy!

Short answer: yes, but we're loving GOONZ.

Cornelia drops an A-Adapter (sweet!) and an SR point. She tries to flee, but Zero pursues her and demands she exit her Knightmare, planning to Geass her and learn what she knows about his mother's death. But Cornelia calls Guilford and commands him to join with Dalton and secure Euphie.

Before Zero can stop her, Suzaku dashes in, says he's got Euphie safe, and wrecks Zero's Burai. Zero manages to escape, only to find the Lancelot's weapons at his head. Suzaku has his debt, and he knows that the Elevens are behind Zero, too, but he believes Zero's methods are wrong. Lelouche, who still doesn't know his friend is in the cockpit, curses the White Knight for ruining all his perfect plans.

C. C. appears out of nowhere and stands between Lancelot and Zero! She can't afford to let Zero die, even if she has to deal with it in the flesh. Somehow, she reaches into Suzaku's mind and floods it with traumatic images - whatever will make Suzaku freeze, though even she doesn't know what he's seeing - then tells Zero to run.

Zero tries to push her away, but she cries out not to touch her. Too late - images begin to flood Lelouche's sight as well. "Judgment... pain... evil... hate... loneliness," he mutters. Suzaku is crying out to his father and starts firing wildly. The shots destabilize the ground again, and before GOONZ can do anything, Zero and C. C. fall down into the waterways. GOONZ has no choice but to retreat with Todo.

Downstream, Lelouche wonders just what C. C. is. She gave him the power of Geass, her wounds heal supernaturally quickly...

Ugh...
You're awake.
Where are we?
Not far from the battlefield. I had to move us a bit to lose the Britannians.
Oh...
You were in quite bad shape from the fall, but I suppose that's not a concern.
So you didn't have to save me. Your pride makes you do the dumbest things sometimes.
You were muttering, probably from the pain. You said some enlightening things, you know.
...like your name.
It's not nice to eavesdrop.
It's a good name. Much more human than "C. C."
Does that matter? I don't need anything human... I'm...
You...
I forgot. I forgot everything, every last thing... I don't need a name... not anymore...
(From what I saw... and those wounds... this is what C. C. goes through.)
Since we're here, I should take the opportunity to say this. For all you've helped me... and for the power of the Geass...
I'll only say this once.
Thank you.
This is the first time anyone's ever thanked me. How about you return the favor?
Say my name.
Your name?
Just once. Say it kindly, like you mean it.
Oh, fine...

No, we don't get to hear it. Sorry.

How was that?
Nope. That was terrible.
I said kindly. And carefully, sincerely. Yours sounded off and completely without warmth.
There's no pleasing you, is there?
Well, of course. I'm C. C.
C. C., I don't know why snow is white.
But I like it. White snow is beautiful.
Huh.
Karen will be here for us. Come on.
You were almost there. You even outsmarted Cornelia.
That wasn't a miracle. For me, that was barely even effort.
Keep watching, Cornelia. This was just an introduction.
I have Todo the Miracle now. I'm growing an army enough to destroy Britannia.
You think it'll work out?
I'll make it work. I'm Zero, the man who works miracles.

On the Britannian G-1 mobile fortress, Lloyd and Euphemia meet. Lloyd says that lots of Britannian nobles feel the Lancelot is wasted on a Number, but he certainly showed his stuff today. Until that one thing happened, anyway. Oh, don't worry, he's fine now. Still, Zero outplayed Cornelia something harsh. Who is he?

But Lelouche gets back to the Academy for a shock. Shirley asks him if Zero is really an ally to the weak. That's what he said at the hotel hostage incident, right? "Then why did he kill my father?" She sobs that he was a kind, generous man, and he was buried alive...

Lelouche immediately realizes how and when he died. Well, poo poo.

And that's how it ends. Whoops. See you next week.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jun 11, 2013

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
I really like this mission as it really fleshes out the relationship ZEXIS GOONZ has with Zero (especially Wufei and Heero): they don't trust him one bit but, as long as he keeps working his "miracles", they need to follow his commands.

As much poo poo as Wufei gets in other games, Z2 is around the best he's ever been as it allows him to move from just shouting "JUSTICE!" ad nauseum and show off some of that intellect that he was known to have before the Gundam Wing events started.

Also, underestimating the Guren is never an excuse to not provide the necessary dosage of "ZEROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"! :colbert:

I made it a point to always kill Jeremiah with him if only to further the poor man's torment.

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jun 11, 2013

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

It is time to begin the Lelouch torturing.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

While I quite like Code Geass in general, this route really wasn't much fun for me. There's not a lot of fun crossover stuff apart from the mainline GOONZ developing reservations about Zero's tactics, and Zero himself is still poorly served by an engine that reduces all of his scheme to "Screen Flashes - fodder units explode." Combine this with some of the game's less flashy units (aside from the Guren) and more problems that will arise later on.

The last mission of the route's pretty bitchin' though.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
When the map comes out is always going to be the weakest part of any Area 11 route, because it's just Geass, VOTOMs, and Wing following along. Always. On the other hand, even this chapter had a lot of little writing touches, like Graham having been part of the Britannian invasion and Saji and Louise being integrated seamlessly into Geass.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Brunom1 posted:

I made it a point to always kill Jeremiah with him if only to further the poor man's torment.

Jeremiah MISSEDZero, what torment could you possibly need to add to a failure like that?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Caphi posted:

When the map comes out is always going to be the weakest part of any Area 11 route, because it's just Geass, VOTOMs, and Wing following along. Always. On the other hand, even this chapter had a lot of little writing touches, like Graham having been part of the Britannian invasion and Saji and Louise being integrated seamlessly into Geass.

Oh yeah, it's still got lots of the thoughtful touches Z2 does with the crossover stuff, it's just that these few missions lean very heavily on being the Code Geass show. And like I said earlier, the game engine really doesn't lend itself to conveying the coolest things about Geass.

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
And there we go, the high point of Code Geass :D
It'd be pretty great to see this stage in a game with a properly 3D map, though.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

This route :argh: it is fun storywise and the events are pretty badass but if you haven't been giving the Wing Boys some love getting the skill points is rear end. Also you don't get ANY Zeuthers at all to help you out. Particularly unfair when the dark continent route gets a whole bunch of them and they already have the best units in the game anyway.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Remember this guy from Code Geass? Probably not. He's Kirihara, head of Kirihara Industries, which has Area 11's Sakuradite mining industry in a stranglehold, and he and Elgan are talking about Kyoshiro Todo and his lieutenants joining the Black Knights, making it the de facto center of the Japanese resistance. "Is this another one of your plays, Boatman? Or should I say Elgan Roddick?" spits Kirihara. Roddick replies, unflappable as always, that it was all Zero out there, and both men know that Zero won't stop until Britannia falls. Kirihara doesn't, though, unless what Roddick said is true - about Zero being a boy Kirihara is quite familiar with.

Kirihara changes the subject and reminds Elgan that it would be more than just a scandal if it got out that the WPC chair was in cahoots with the rebellion. Elgan returns that it would be just the same for Kirihara, who leads both the Britannia-overseen new Japanese government and, through the shadow corporation called Kyoto, much of the Japanese resistance.

So with the expositional aside over, back on the subject of Lelouche. Kirihara wouldn't be surprised if Zero really was that boy - he knows that he had very good reasons to hate Britannia, and his father. Elgan gives Kirihara the request to help the resistance, but Kirihara wants to know what Elgan's sticking his neck out for. Elgan just says he needs Zero to insure the future of humanity. So it's not Japan's future Elgan is interest in? "Japan is a part of humanity," replies Elgan, and hangs up.

Kirihara doesn't doubt that Elgan has selfless interests at heart, but that's just what makes him such a mystery...

This is Kagura, the real head of Kyoto. She figures Kirihara knows who Zero is, but unfortunately, he can't tell her. But that's quite all right, she says. What she should like to know is where his path will lead. Especially after seeing what happened at Narita. "What goes on beneath his mask?"

The student council - even Louise and Relena, of course - has all gathered for Shirley's father's funeral. Karen apologizes, sobbing, and Shirley asks what she's apologizing for. But then Rivalz apologizes too, for ever thinking the Black Knights were badasses, even when the battle of Narita first came up on the news. Millay just wants to make sure Shirley has cried it all out. "It'll just hurt more if you try to hold it in."

Shirley's cried a lot it seems, but Suzaku is full of rage instead. In his book, Zero is a coward who manipulates others into fighting and then takes credit as the hero, leaving suffering in his wake. "He won't change anything like that... there's no point accomplishing anything by the wrong means..." Lelouche just listens silently, but as all his friends leave, he wants to stay for a little longer, alone.

"Alone," indeed.

You're sorry for getting your friend's dad killed?
Silence.
What, did you think this was a game? You've already killed dozens, by your own hand or by your orders.
I said be silent.
They had families too. And lovers, and friends.
Don't tell me you didn't know. Is this as far as you're willing to go?
Shut up!
Of course I'm willing! I killed Clovis, didn't I?!
So what's different now? Or did you lose your nerve when she forced a kiss on you?
Gh...
And you made all those promises, too. I guess you're just another boy running his mouth.
!
You can't waver or stop anymore.
I thought this was your new reason to live? Don't fail me.

Quattre is also down about getting innocents killed. Crowe is determined not to let it happen again. "We're fighting Britannia, not Britannians."

But that's not up to us, and Wufei is not convinced that Zero will make it happen again. Zero held back to draw out Cornelia, and he knew that if the Black Knights had been fighting for real, we could have saved all of those Japan Liberation Front soldiers. He may not have known about the civilians, but Zero deliberately sacrificed those soldiers to show off his miracle in full light. "To him, all of those soldiers except for Todo were worthless," Wufei finishes.

As much as Wufei doesn't hate to say he told us so, we have to admit that, as terrible as Zero's plan was, it worked completely. Crowe suggests that we act as the brakes on Zero. We need him - to liberate Japan, and as GOONZ, to wage war against the Imperium. And on the way, we'll have to contend with the power-hungry nations, terrorists, and all those alien attackers.

"So maybe you're right, and Zero's little crusade is just a cover for whatever his real plan is. But if he wants to use us, we're gonna use him right back. We're going to make him be a real, honest hero and keep him from pulling any more Naritas. If he tries to say it was to avoid losses, we'll go back and win straight up without losses. If we can't get that far, we're screwed against the Imperium anyway."

Team Gundam is surprised at Crowe - Wufei in particular thought he was a flake. "Actually, don't forget," smirks Crowe, "I'm still way deep in debt. I can't afford to get pushed over easy."

So Trowa asks the important question: what if we can't stop Zero? Heero says the answer is obvious, though Crowe hopes it doesn't come to that. "Look at that, Chirico," mugs Duo. "This is the team we're going to be working in." We might even be worse off than Celestial Being.

But we did forget about Chirico, who merely says "suit yourself." But Crowe wants to know what Chirico's ideas are. Chirico shortly says he's a soldier, and he will neutralize his enemy, and no more or less. The others keep pressing him for his own goals, his own agenda. Chirico doesn't answer, save silently, to himself...

"As they spoke, I reflected on the fight I had been fighting since I deserted my squad. I had been fighting without ever thinking why, but there it was in my mind, as if gleaming faintly in the dark. That woman I first met on the asteroid Ridd, and again on the battlefield... somehow, she had become the only thing that had any meaning for me."

Speaking of, remember these guys? They have orders from Britannia to root out the Black Knights from the Ghetto. Boro tells the Phantom Lady that Chirico will be with them, and they will roll her out if they have to. She reacts in shock, and not noticing, they command her to kill him for certain this time. Failure will not be tolerated.

And speaking for the first time, she says "No."

And "what?" they say, and she repeats it. Fine, says Boro. But she has to dismantle his AT and bring back the man himself. Iskui adds a promise that they won't kill Chirico, either. Satisfied, Proto One goes to prepare.

Still, the Perfect Soldier, built to be better in body and soul, just refused an order. Boro remembers that they found some unusual readings in her brain scans - some sort of image. And when they translated the image to the display, they found...

Chirico. Chirico was the first one to open her pod, the first thing she saw, and a face imprinted onto her mind when it was a complete blank, before her training and conditioning. Even so, she's a Perfect Soldier. They can still use her for all she's worth; the only condition is that they never ask her to kill Chirico Cuvie. And the only way they can see around that is to kill him themselves.

Proto One should be able to capture him just fine. Then they can pin terrorism charges on him and execute him. With him out of the way, Proto One will be a completely flawless Perfect Soldier...

Viletta Nu has dragged Shirley out to the Ghetto. She's investigating the Black Knights, and she may have a clue as to the identity of their leader, Zero. She shows a picture to Shirley - it's Lelouche! Viletta has no proof he's connected to Zero, and she hasn't escalated it anywhere else in the military. First, she wants Shirley, the suspect's friend, to help her investigate him. Despite knowing Zero killed her father, Shirley isn't completely sold on this, but Viletta reminds her that it's in service of Wakamoto and country. And for her own protection, Viletta lends Shirley a handgun.

Of course, there's more to this request than meets the eye. Viletta suspects that Zero will have to tip his hand if Shirley gets involved. She's convinced he has some way of altering peoples' memories, and unlike Jeremiah, who lost his status and reputation, she has just the ruthlessness to turn her situation into an opportunity. That's why she's going to get this done all by herself...

Chapter 25: Connections
(Area 11 route)

The Black Knights prepare to defend themselves from the oncoming Enforcing that Diethard warned them was coming. But even Karen is hesitating, and Zero contacts her on a private line to ask if she really doubts him. Like everyone else, she wonders if what happened at Narita was the right thing. Can we change the world if we fight like that?

"That is exactly why we cannot hesitate," says Zero. "Whatever we have to do, even if they judge it as monstrous, we must win. Even if we must be villains. Even if we must spill even more blood so that the blood already spilled is not wasted."

But Zero will not have soldiers who are unwilling. He offers Karen a chance to turn her back on him and leave before more blood gets on her hands. She says she'll fight by his side. "Thank you," says Zero, and she beams.

Karen and Chirico aside, though, Zero knows that the Gundams have been distancing themselves from him since Narita. They won't make a move against him directly as long as they're part of the fight against Britannia, but he'll need to keep an eye on them.

The Enforcers arrive, Astragians with them.

Gameplay begins. Wipe out all enemies in five turns. Despite having a ragtag gang of robots, the enemies are choppers and ATs, so this should be easy.

Other than the terrible terrain. Maybe I should just let them come to me.

Karen is going to roast them all, though.

It doesn't take long for the Phantom Lady ("Chirico's stalker," as Duo calls her) to come out. Zero reminds Chirico that he's assigned to Zero's defense, but Chirico points out that the Lady will be after him. If he stays close, it's more likely that Zero will be caught in the crossfire. Zero relents and gives Chirico permission to engage her AT.

Oh, and the special win condition is to wipe out the enemies in five turns still, but the normal win condition is to take out the Phantom Lady's Brutish Dog. Luckily, there's nothing wrong with taking her out at the moment; it'll just be the trigger for the next event, so the stage won't actually end.

The Enforcer machines are not even worth mentioning. There are some cars dicking around in the back that I'll have to hunt down eventually, but it's no big deal.

The Phantom Lady, of course, ignores Crowe and moves directly for Chirico.

Not that she has anything to worry about from him. She's not even taking evasive action (which she should, because she has no counterattacks at the range of the Clutch Sniper) and she still has this evasion.

Those reflexes are off the scale for a human!
And she's got a custom AT! Just who is she?

But that's what Sense is for.

We'll place Crowe to knock out those tanks.

(What is this feeling? She has me targetted, but I sense it's not as en enemy...)
(What... do I want with this woman?)

Chirico also uses Sense, drives back the Phantom Lady, and loots a Gigilium Chip, a pretty good Mobility part.

The lady flees, and Chirico chases after her. She shoots wildly, and once again, it destabilizes the earth and sends them both plummeting into the depths of the Shinjuku Ghetto.

And if that wasn't enough, Suzaku arrives with a platoon of Knightmares. Lloyd taunts Suzaku, half-seriously, that it's his chance to prove his loyalty to Britannia by taking up arms against the Black Knights despite being an Eleven himself. Suzaku accepts his orders without hesitation. "I can't allow Zero's methods to continue!"

...Suzaku, this is probably not the time, but I've got to ask.
You don't like seeing people die, but you're a soldier. Whyzzat?
I'm a soldier because I want to keep people from dying.
That's gonna be the death of you one day.
...Lancelot engaging.

Zero knows Lancelot is gunning for him and orders his men to forget Chirico and defend him.

And Shirley is watching the battle, still unsure of herself despite knowing that Zero is responsible for her father's death.

And this is going to be the final change in conditions: defeat the Lancelot, last of all if we want the point, because its defeat spells the end of the stage. Of course we do.

Also, our secret weapon needs refueling.

Do you care about Tamaki? No? Well, he learns Luck from the refill action.

A couple of the tanks survive, but this will be fixed easily.

The Southerlands that try to tangle wisely attack Tamaki. That'll show me to get him anywhere near enemies.

Suzaku's forces don't fare much better than the Enforcers, though.

(Why do you keep interfering with my plans?)
(Why do you keep spilling blood needlessly?)
(If only you weren't here...)
(It's all because of you!)

I suppose Suzaku wasn't going to be as impressive a battle for Zero as Jeremiah or Cornelia.

Oh, and he's one of the odd bosses that goes before his men.

Team Gundam shortly takes down the Knightmares, leaving only the White Knight.

A brand new special forces KMF, huh? I'm taking your data home to the Chief!
As steeds go, it looks like a wild one. My hat's off to the guy who can ride it.

(That KMF... it must be Todo's!)
(I know those moves! Is the pilot of that KMF...?)

Okay, white knight! If you want Zero, you'll have to go through me!
I'm on Zero's side! I'll cast aside all my doubts and regrets!

Yep, chapter over.

But Suzaku isn't done yet. He flips out on Zero's Burai and disables it.

Shirley gasps, and Zero's Knightmare slides out and falls into the Ghetto underground.

But the Lancelot has just about had it too, and Zero pulls out as another platoon of Knightmares rolls in. The Black Knights have no choice but to hold their ground until they can save Zero...

"Sad, Zero," says this douchebag, "but you and C. C. just don't belong together."

Chirico and the Phantom Lady's ATs are both out of commission, even though they can hear the sounds of battle raging on topside.

She takes off her mask and asks why he doesn't kill her. He returns the question. Great, no one's killing anyone. Then he asks her name, and all she has to offer is "Proto One." That's not a name, but it's the only name she knows.

Chirico reflects that this is their third meeting, but the Lady says she's been watching him "always." And he knows she's been ordered to take his life (she finally tells him who). Why doesn't she? "I don't know," she said sadly, "but I don't want to fight with you." She asks what she is, and what was going on on Ridd, but she has no answers.

An Enforcer comes to finish off Chirico and take Proto One back in. He flees, telling Proto One they'll meet again.

"The woman who had changed the course of my fate was no longer my enemy. I felt like I was slipping ever deeper, but I was also surprised at myself. Had I ever wished for something as much as I now wished to keep living?"

Shirley finds an unconscious Zero with his Knightmare. She remembers the sidearm she carries, and considers taking the chance to avenge her father.

But then his mask slips off, and it's Lelouche's face underneath.

Just as Viletta Nu finds the scene. She knew the student she was investigating was a lead, but she never imagined that he was the man himself. But whatever, this is her ticket out of the knighthood and into the nobility. She promises Shirley that she'll have a hero's place in the tale, too.

Only to find Shirley pointing the gun at her. "G-get away from Lulu!" Before Shirley realizes what she's doing, she fires. As Viletta's consciousness slips away, her last thought to inform the Viceroy, Shirley flees...

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Well, at least the writing is still nice. I really, really like how adversarial Zero is with the rest of the GOONZ, especially those that join him for the Resistance business, and the game generally does a nice job of tying the Area 11 storylines into the larger arc like with Elgan's and Chirico's scenes - though Wing suffers a bit for having its plot basically finished for the game and their primary foils off in space. These stages are also kind of a slog because the terrain slows your ground pounders way the hell down and all you've got to do is beat the poo poo out of a bunch of outdated enemies that have long since stopped being interesting or threatening. Next stage is the route's nadir. Least the route ends on a high note.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Next stage is a shitton of text with some planes blowing up. I'm getting increasingly tempted to just link to streaming episodes of Code Geass during the Area 11 routes.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Caphi posted:

Next stage is a shitton of text with some planes blowing up. I'm getting increasingly tempted to just link to streaming episodes of Code Geass during the Area 11 routes.

Yeah, I've played it. It pretty much single handedly brings the route down for me, because it's as boring as the last one in terms of gameplay and loses the benefit of good writing because the writing kind of falls apart trying to handle a sequence of events that the original show handled entirely without the aid of giant robots. I'll get into more detail when it's up.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
I definitely like how they combined the storyline of VOTOMS with that of Code Geass. I don't mind the walls of text, because I forgot a lot of Geass's story. And I didn't mind that the route was relatively easy, sometimes it's just fun to tear through weak grunt after grunt with the likes of Kalen and Chirico.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Caphi posted:

Yeah, I've never played the game, but it must be an absolute bitch to incorporate a lot of Geass' story since a lot of important stuff is completely outside of giant robots. Hell, a lot of it involves the dramatic usage of a character's superpower involving his eyes, which is pretty tough to convey in a series where all talking is done through a bunch of static pictures that aren't really looking at each other.

• Locked thread