Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

An Actual Bear
Feb 15, 2012

http://youtu.be/VRDi2lK6b-s?t=6m21s

Holy poo poo. I'd read about this particular botch in Death of WCW but nothing can prepare you for this. His huge scream had me dying with laughter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Halloween Jack posted:

Jesus Christ, they ripped that off from 8mm, didn't they? WCW thought a movie character who raped and killed a girl was something they should rip off for a wrestling gimmick.
WWF thought Scarface was a great wrestling gimmick. And Anton Chigur was a great wrestling gimmick. And The Joker was a great wrestling gimmick. And The Devil was a great wrestling gimmick.

None of them were wrong. It's the execution that matters.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

...there was an Anton Chigurh wrestling gimmick? That sounds amazing.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

LividLiquid posted:

WWF thought Scarface was a great wrestling gimmick. And Anton Chigur was a great wrestling gimmick. And The Joker was a great wrestling gimmick. And The Devil was a great wrestling gimmick.

And most people here (including myself) are looking forward to seeing Bray Wyatt's Max Cady gimmick. Who was the Chigurh gimmick though?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

LividLiquid posted:

Vince did not know that Hall was ripping off Scarface

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

DeathChicken posted:

Jericho based his entire suit-wearing, big-word using, deliberately-speaking persona on Anton. He mentions it on his DVD and also (I think) his book.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Skinty McEdger posted:

I can't find the promo that aired earlier in the night to hype him up anywhere, but yeah that was pretty much his gimick.

I'm morbidly curious to see this. Also yeah that botch is the best.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

DeathChicken posted:

The motivations for the character and philosophy behind for that gimmick are based on Sugar, the actual gimmick takes more from Nick Bockwinkel. It's a stretch to call it a Chigurh gimmick, Jericho himself admits there are multiple influences. It's more an inspiration.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
This is from days/pages back but...

Judeccahedron posted:

Then near the end of WCW proper, he teamed up with a guy called Kid Romeo who had a knock-off of "The Cup of Life" by Ricky Martin. Also, I think before he was in Team Canada, he was called "Skip Over"

I'm pretty sure we can also blame Skipper for the Overdrive. I don't know if he actually invented it but he was the first guy I remember seeing do it and it's been a blight on lower card WWE wrestlers (and even some times slightly higher than that!) ever since. Truly a more insidious heel move than a thousand Hulk Hogans leg dropping Savage.

Judeccahedron
Jan 2, 2009

LividLiquid posted:

Yeah, other promotions have made big gimmicks with Jason Voorhees, Leatherface, Freddy Krueger, the Humungus from Mad Max, etc. The especially messed-up part about the "Nightmare Freddie" gimmick (at least when Doug Gilbert played him) is that it was actually played as a face gimmick quite a bit.

Again, it's about the execution. Jason the Terrible was an inspiration for a lot of the monster heels, for example.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MassRafTer posted:

The motivations for the character and philosophy behind for that gimmick are based on Sugar, the actual gimmick takes more from Nick Bockwinkel. It's a stretch to call it a Chigurh gimmick, Jericho himself admits there are multiple influences. It's more an inspiration.
Did he say this, or are you continuing your one-man crusade to disagree with everything I say even when I'm repeating what wrestlers have said about themselves? :D

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LividLiquid posted:

Did he say this, or are you continuing your one-man crusade to disagree with everything I say even when I'm repeating what wrestlers have said about themselves? :D

He's said it himself on Observer radio.

cool-haired luke
May 13, 2012

by T. Finninho

Suben posted:

This is from days/pages back but...

I'm pretty sure we can also blame Skipper for the Overdrive. I don't know if he actually invented it but he was the first guy I remember seeing do it and it's been a blight on lower card WWE wrestlers (and even some times slightly higher than that!) ever since. Truly a more insidious heel move than a thousand Hulk Hogans leg dropping Savage.

it was reno, he called it the roll of the dice.

cool-haired luke
May 13, 2012

by T. Finninho
wrt to the hall/scarface chat, hall has said that the gimmick isnt actually based on tony montana but on manny

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

cool-haired luke posted:

it was reno, he called it the roll of the dice.

Reno's Roll of the Dice is the same as Cross Rhodes. It sucked a lot for Chris Daniels back then because he got released from WCW the first time and then they gave his finisher to a lovely green guy.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MassRafTer posted:

Reno's Roll of the Dice is the same as Cross Rhodes. It sucked a lot for Chris Daniels back then because he got released from WCW the first time and then they gave his finisher to a lovely green guy.
Is this the first, or the second time? Because I thought Daniels was with WCW when they went under.

He has his first non-run when he was Vampiro's higher power in a robe, then he had his "tryout match" on... Thunder, I think? Where he injured himself, but got a contract.

IronCladBurrito
Aug 11, 2002

Excuse me, is this where the bitches are found?

Judeccahedron posted:

Yeah, other promotions have made big gimmicks with Jason Voorhees, Leatherface, Freddy Krueger, the Humungus from Mad Max, etc. The especially messed-up part about the "Nightmare Freddie" gimmick (at least when Doug Gilbert played him) is that it was actually played as a face gimmick quite a bit.

This poo poo went down ALL THE TIME in Memphis. Even as late as the last time they tried to revive a weekly show there, "Jerry Lawler's Memphis Wrestling," Lawler wrestled one of the movie monsters. In 2010.

Side note, Memphis' Lord Humongous was Sid Vicious for a while in the late 80s.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LividLiquid posted:

Is this the first, or the second time? Because I thought Daniels was with WCW when they went under.

He has his first non-run when he was Vampiro's higher power in a robe, then he had his "tryout match" on... Thunder, I think? Where he injured himself, but got a contract.

His first, he seemed annoyed by it in one of his early shoots.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

LividLiquid posted:

he said it on his own on observer radio and also in his second book, but you never learned how to read i guess so it's okay!!

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013
I can't believe I read the whole thing...

This brought back memories--the ratings war happened while I was in college, and we watched a lot of it in the dorms. Some random thoughts:

I'm glad to know that someone else remembers the saga of Lenny Lane and Chris Jericho's Loverboy tape.

Like most of you, we were big fans of DDP, the Flock, and Chris Jericho. And Scott Norton. And the luchadors. And Kanyon (after all, who betta?) In fact, we would usually watch the first two hours of Nitro, then switch to Raw for the last hour.

We all liked Goldberg a lot, but it was clear that he wasn't going to improve, simply because he didn't have to. Still, it was cool to watch him bust out new moves, early in his run. (I have a fondness for his pumphandle suplex, myself.)

I saw Road Wild '98 in person. We enjoyed the show for the most part, although part of that is because we left before the main event (Hogan and Bischoff vs. DDP and Leno? No thank you.)

I don't remember THE BLOCK, but I do remember the time Jerry Flynn said "gently caress" on camera, and then immediately cringed.

La Parka's overdub act was the best thing about late WCW. (Our favorite was the time he "said" "I'll kick your Lucky Charms rear end!" to Fit Finlay.)

Speaking of Finlay: it wasn't the Junkyard Invitational that nearly ended his career. It was a hardcore match against Brian Knobbs--Finlay went through a table, and shards from it severed the nerves in his leg.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
So I'm way late to the party but finally picked up Death of WCW and while I'm enjoying it has it been said at all what's going to be in the expanded 10th anniversary edition? I feel like a lot of stuff just gets kind of glossed over in favor of "it scored an X rating drawing Y fans and doing a Z gate (...) HULK HOGAN (...) Eric Buschoff is losing his mind" like twice a page and after a while it gets a bit grating when I'd rather be reading more about some of the stuff that was actually going on in the shows angle-wise and whatnot. It especially hurts the pre-1996 part of the book because I think going more in depth about Hogan vs. the Dungeon of Doom/Horsemen/Alliance to End Hulkamania, that loving cage match, exactly how sick the crowds were of Hogan, etc. would've been both entertaining and done a better job setting up just dire things were for WCW pre-Outsiders.

On the other hand the constant mention of ratings points/attendance/gates revealed to me that Schiavone announced the attendance for Georgia Dome show where Goldberg won the belt as being LESS than it actually was for... I don't even know.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Tuesday Night we'll be watching Slamboree 96. This PPV features Battle Bowl, one of my least favorite gimmicks ever, which some goons really like. Why do I hate it? This show will have 15* matches on it! Tune in Tuesday at 8 to see someone be crowned LORD OF THE RING for a guaranteed title shot!!!!!!**

*well there's one forfeit

**Psych DDP.

This is the final pre nWo PPV. PREPARE YOURSELVES!

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

An Actual Bear posted:

http://youtu.be/VRDi2lK6b-s?t=6m21s

Holy poo poo. I'd read about this particular botch in Death of WCW but nothing can prepare you for this. His huge scream had me dying with laughter.

Thank you so much for posting this because I've always wanted to see it. I'm laughing so hard that I'm crying. The guy totally misses his cue and just launches onto the ropes for no reason. The scream is great. That must've REALLY loving hurt.

While I've seen a number of things described in the book, does anyone else have any hilariously awful botches described in the book?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

While I've seen a number of things described in the book, does anyone else have any hilariously awful botches described in the book?

It's too big a project for me, but it would be amazing if someone made a video companion to the Rise & Fall book. Obviously it wouldn't be able to be sold or legitimately acknowledged, but it would be great to have.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

That would be amazing. Like a watch-as-you-read deal.

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012
That would be incredibly entertaining. Gather all the videos from YouTube and DailyMotion into a single playlist that accompanies Rise and Fall. That's a lot of work, could be a group effort, but it would be worth it. But even once it's done, there's still work to do, because the WWE tends to take videos down.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Rad R. posted:

That would be incredibly entertaining. Gather all the videos from YouTube and DailyMotion into a single playlist that accompanies Rise and Fall. That's a lot of work, could be a group effort, but it would be worth it. But even once it's done, there's still work to do, because the WWE tends to take videos down.

Yeah, that's why I'm thinking it would need to be some kind of private download, not a public Youtube playlist. But maybe that's piracy talk, I don't want to get too into the details.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Youtube/Dailymotion truly is necessary when reading the book to get the full enjoyment out of it. I spent as much time searching for videos as I did actually reading the book!

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

yeah its not like the entire run of nitro isn't floating around on Daily Motion or whatever. Nope.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
In three hours we will be watching Slamboree 96, BATTLE BOWL here: http://sync.coconono.org/r/greatestnitroinhistoryofoursport

This was WCW's third attempt to prove that fans don't care about marquee matches, they will only buy PPVs with crazy gimmicks. Won't you tune in and prove them right?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Does anyone remember someone (one of the Steiners?) having some sort of match in a really tiny cage? I seem to remember it being this cylinder type cage that was lowered into the middle of the ring, I think they were trying to do a UFC type thing. This would have been in 2000-01 I am fairly certain, it was when Nitro was run by Russo or Bischoff, post-lovely 1999 set.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

triplexpac posted:

Does anyone remember someone (one of the Steiners?) having some sort of match in a really tiny cage? I seem to remember it being this cylinder type cage that was lowered into the middle of the ring, I think they were trying to do a UFC type thing. This would have been in 2000-01 I am fairly certain, it was when Nitro was run by Russo or Bischoff, post-lovely 1999 set.

I think Scott was doing those in August of 2000. I think they had a special name... I want to say Caged Heat, but I know they debuted a new cell style cage called Caged Heat around that time too.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
The Asylum.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

triplexpac posted:

I think this was used when Scott Steiner was feuding with Tank Abbott and Rick Steiner.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MassRafTer posted:

In three hours we will be watching Slamboree 96, BATTLE BOWL here: http://sync.coconono.org/r/greatestnitroinhistoryofoursport

This was WCW's third attempt to prove that fans don't care about marquee matches, they will only buy PPVs with crazy gimmicks. Won't you tune in and prove them right?

I'm not entirely sure what the hell I ended up watching. It all blended together.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MassRafTer posted:

That show was a nightmare, like watching Wrestlemania 4 without the benefit of,"IT'S WRESTLEMANIA! :woop:"

There were nuggets of good in there though - Arn costing himself the match to advance Flair AND put a beating on Savage was pretty drat awesome. The Sting/Giant match was surprisingly fun too.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

triplexpac posted:

This was the Asylum and the only way to win was via submission. It was the strangest cage I've ever seen outside of AAA.

Scott Steiner used it a total of like 3 times.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

The good thing about Battlebowl is that when it's over, you're so tired that you actually feel like you participated in Battlebowl.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I didn't see a Battlebowl on the Nitro Grill menu, but it sounds delicious. I'm thinking fried fish, chicken fingers, and hushpuppies on a bed of fries, with something called "slammin' sauce" on the side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

coconono posted:

This was the Asylum and the only way to win was via submission. It was the strangest cage I've ever seen outside of AAA.

Scott Steiner used it a total of like 3 times.

Thanks everyone for the info on this. Glad to know it wasn't a crazy fever dream.

That era of Scott Steiner was so great. Tapping out 6 cruisers at the same time, fighting mans in tiny cages, if only WWE knew how to properly utilize his craziness.