Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
So, who wants an advance copy of Steelheart?

http://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/show/51836-steelheart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.
It's almost done!

https://twitter.com/BrandSanderson posted:

Getting really close to finishing Words of Radiance. I might right the ending tonight, as a matter of fact, depending on how late I stay up.

Turning on a little bit of music by Explosions in the Sky for a writing soundtrack tonight. Let's see how this goes.

Also, yes, let's pretend I said I'll WRITE the book instead of RIGHT it. My brain is elsewhere at the moment. :) Onward.

1,000 words into the climax of Words of Radiance. Still not sure if I'll be able to finish tonight, but it's possible.

Music is now the new Daft Punk album. I like it, but I might need something...louder for this next scene. Keying up Metallica in case.

Update: at 1500 words after two hours of writing tonight. A good clip, but the next part will be slower. Novel stands at 310k words so far.

Hour three was slower, as expected. 2,000 words total. This was a tricky scene to write.

Going to go ahead and turn in for the night. Need to ponder on this next sequence a little more. Might finish tomorrow night.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I wish I could write 2000 words in 3 hours, it would make writing my papers so much easier. I am curious how many of those words end up in the final draft.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

calandryll posted:

I wish I could write 2000 words in 3 hours, it would make writing my papers so much easier. I am curious how many of those words end up in the final draft.

I'm lucky to get 3000 words in 3 days :smith:

I am a slow writer

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

quote:

Brandon Sanderson

Two scenes done so far today in the climax of Words of Radiance. A half dozen or so to go. Looking quite good for a finish today.

Well, that's good to hear.

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
a lean lobster who probably doesn't even taste good.
My favorite chapter blurb from WoK:
"The death is my life, the strength becomes my weakness, the journey has ended."

Somehow I just got chills reading this, drat death quotes.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

I loved Way of Kings. I want to be really excited about Words of Radiance... but I just can't force myself to be. Shallan, ughh. WoK had a good mix of perspectives, I really don't understand what the need for mixing up the proportions is, especially when that mix up involves focusing on the least interesting character. I think a lot of "epic" fantasy writers fall into the trap of having too many different perspectives and having these perspectives too often. This is particularly problematic when one character is clearly THE protagonist with all the exciting moments, despite the number of chapters allotted to them. Wheel of Time has this same problem. Every time you turn a page to a new chapter, you can't help but feel "oh great, another non-Rand/Kaladin chapter". Lots of different perspectives works great when there isn't really a central character per se, but when a series has a character so prominently more awesome than anyone else, too many chapters (i.e. a majority given the Shallan focus) from other POVs soon becomes a chore.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
Well he's already said that he wants to have all of the books focus on a different character. Kaladin isn't the main character, it's just that The Way of Kings was "Kaladin's" book. Also, I think Shallan's really interesting, especially now that she might get a little more connected to the rest of the characters.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

quote:

Kaladin isn't the main character

I don't buy this. Kaladin's abilities and Sanderson being Sanderson mean that Kaladin is and always will be the main character, even if the books take turns focusing on different characters.

It's not necessarily even about who is the protagonist anyway. It's also about who is the most fun. Kaladin, being the Spartacus cliche inspiring everyone around him, surprising people with his magic that was thought forgotten etc is always going to be more enjoyable. Even if it is pretty standard fantasy bildungsroman stuff.

quote:

Also, I think Shallan's really interesting, especially now that she might get a little more connected to the rest of the characters.

I guess my main issue with Shallan is that Sanderson is seemingly incapable of creating more than two different female characters. There's Vin, and then there's Other (Vivenna, Siri, Sarene, Shallan). I don't feel the need for a Shallan book, because I feel like Shallan is a copy/paste of Vivenna, Siri and Sarene. Their personality traits and characters are almost identical. A Shallan book isn't necessary, because he's already written two of them (one of which had two such identical characters in the same book).

Arcanen fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Jun 14, 2013

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

Shakugan posted:

I don't buy this. Kaladin's abilities and Sanderson being Sanderson mean that Kaladin is and always will be the main character, even if the books take turns focusing on different characters.

It's not necessarily even about who is the protagonist anyway. It's also about who is the most fun. Kaladin, being the Spartacus cliche inspiring everyone around him, surprising people with his magic that was thought forgotten etc is always going to be more enjoyable. Even if it is pretty standard fantasy bildungsroman stuff.

I guess my main issue with Shallan is that Sanderson is seemingly incapable of creating more than two different female characters. There's Vin, and then there's Other (Vivenna, Siri, Sarene, Shallan). I don't feel the need for a Shallan book, because I feel like Shallan is a copy/paste of Vivenna, Siri and Sarene. Their personality traits and characters are almost identical. A Shallan book isn't necessary, because he's already written two of them (one of which had two such identical characters in the same book).

I feel like Jasnah and Navani pretty much break those archetypes. One's a (highly intelligent and capable) book worm with badass "make poo poo different" powers, and the other is a politically savvy sex fiend (okay maybe not, but she's way into Dalinar) and a fantastic engineer.

You're also forgetting what's her name, the gunsmith, from Alloy

edit: we should also compare this to most fantasy literature where the chick is usually relegated to T&A or worrying about men (or making life *impossible* for the men)

treeboy fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jun 14, 2013

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

treeboy posted:

You're also forgetting what's her name, the gunsmith, from Alloy

Ranette.

Not to mention Shai from The Emperor's Soul, who was a pretty unique Sanderson female character.
Six of them, in fact!

404GoonNotFound fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jun 15, 2013

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Just read that the ending to Words of Radiance has been written. Excellent.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
Got Rithmatist to catch up on my Sanderson. Started at around 10 pm and finished around 5 am. I swear I need a support group when he has books out so i don't kill myself with non stop reading. (I'm scared or radiance that is big enough to actually kill me!)

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Draynar posted:

Got Rithmatist to catch up on my Sanderson. Started at around 10 pm and finished around 5 am. I swear I need a support group when he has books out so i don't kill myself with non stop reading. (I'm scared or radiance that is big enough to actually kill me!)

Good news, Radiance is planned to be shorter than Way of Kings.

Bad? news: It's currently 1650 pages in draft form.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I "read" WoK as an audiobook; what was the final page count?

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I "read" WoK as an audiobook; what was the final page count?

1007, IIRC.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

1001 because I remember it was a number palindrome!

Cetea
Jun 14, 2013
I love how everyone on this thread is so enthusiastic about his magical systems, he really does make amazing ones.

Oh and on a side note, did anyone actually root for the Lord Ruler in the first book of the Mistborn trilogy? I know I did!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Cetea posted:

I love how everyone on this thread is so enthusiastic about his magical systems, he really does make amazing ones. On a side note, I think Stormlight 2 is coming out on the 2nd of November; it's been so long that I probably need to reread the first book to recall the details of the story.

Oh and on a side note, did anyone actually root for the Lord Ruler in the first book of the Mistborn trilogy? I know I did!

Kelsier was such an rear end in a top hat. Charming, yes, but still a huge rear end in a top hat. Enough that sometimes I did root for the Lord Ruler, just a little.

But not too much.

Cetea
Jun 14, 2013

ConfusedUs posted:

Kelsier was such an rear end in a top hat. Charming, yes, but still a huge rear end in a top hat. Enough that sometimes I did root for the Lord Ruler, just a little.

But not too much.

I just like how he was actually thought he was doing the right thing for everyone. Those plaques that he left behind (the ones we got to read in the third book) really fleshed out his character for me. Just goes to show that everything is done with the best of intentions, and no one should really be called inherently evil for anything.

Then again, I have a tendency to root for so called 'evil' characters, as long as they aren't cardboard cutouts.

Cetea fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jun 17, 2013

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
Obviously Marsh is the best character and who I wanted to take over the world and rule.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
That whole end of the 2nd Act of The Final Empire is probably the top one I've read in a couple years at that point--you've been hearing and seeing how much of badasses the Inquisitors were, up to that point--they'd killed Marsh, they seriously wounded Vin (though Sazed was somehow able to drive one off), the mistborn hero characters were somewhat able to stay ahead of them only by 1 step usually, they were shown as the executioners of the Final Empire on at least one on-screen scene up to that point. They're "metal" and imposing as gently caress.

Then Kelsier straight up kills one of them. You figure holy poo poo these assholes might actually be able to pull it all off ... and the Lord Ruler shows everything everyone was saying about him was all true.

Then Act 3 kicks into motion. Despite all of that hopelessness that just landed on top of the central conspirators, the Avalanche kicks off with the skaa finally going into open rebellion.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I forgot how metal the Inquisitors were and how it was such a big deal to kill one. Man Mistborn was soooo good.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Cetea posted:

I just like how he was actually thought he was doing the right thing for everyone. Those plaques that he left behind (the ones we got to read in the third book) really fleshed out his character for me. Just goes to show that everything is done with the best of intentions, and no one should really be called inherently evil for anything.

Then again, I have a tendency to root for so called 'evil' characters, as long as they aren't cardboard cutouts.

Well, there's a chapter from the Proto-Lord-Ruler's PoV in the Final Empire Prime excerpt. Proto-Vin is in chapter two.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

1001 because I remember it was a number palindrome!

Huh, my Kindle version's displaying as 1007. drat YOUS TEXT WRAPPING!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Let's not be too sympathetic for the Lord Ruler, we're talking about a dude who's totally cool with his followers raping and murdering skaa women whenever they feel like it. Just to pick one thing.

For what it's worth I still regard The Final Empire (first Mistborn book) as Sanderson's best work to date, even over Way of Kings, and one of the best books in the fantasy genre. But it was the first Sanderson book I read and so that's probably the first book bias talking.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jun 17, 2013

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Eric the Mauve posted:

Let's not be too sympathetic for the Lord Ruler, we're talking about a dude who's totally cool with his followers raping and murdering skaa women whenever they feel like it. Just to pick one thing.

Oh, he's totally a villain, but he's one who got there through a route that was entirely understandable. Roads, hell, good intentions, etc.

Kelsier has a similar problem. The difference is that one is painted as the good guy from the beginning, and one is bad, when they're really quite alike in many ways.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
And one had about a thousand years of a literal god of destruction whispering in his ear. That's enough to make anyone slip up a bit, morally speaking.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

404GoonNotFound posted:

And one had about a thousand years of a literal god of destruction whispering in his ear. That's enough to make anyone slip up a bit, morally speaking.
Yeah, The Lord Ruler isn't evil he is just mentally ill.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

bowmore posted:

Yeah, The Lord Ruler isn't evil he is just mentally ill.

And a total rear end in a top hat with a superiority complex.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Tunicate posted:

And a total rear end in a top hat with a superiority complex.

And a little bit racist.

Cetea
Jun 14, 2013

ConfusedUs posted:

Oh, he's totally a villain, but he's one who got there through a route that was entirely understandable. Roads, hell, good intentions, etc.

Kelsier has a similar problem. The difference is that one is painted as the good guy from the beginning, and one is bad, when they're really quite alike in many ways.

That's exactly what I thought too. The two of them had such similar personalities, it's so easy to see their places swapped around if they were in each other's shoes. Oh and I've never heard of Final Empire Prime, I guess I have something to read now!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Cetea posted:

That's exactly what I thought too. The two of them had such similar personalities, it's so easy to see their places swapped around if they were in each other's shoes. Oh and I've never heard of Final Empire Prime, I guess I have something to read now!

Unfortunately there are only two chapters of it up on the website, but I've heard if you email Brandon Sanderson or Peter Ahlstrom and ask politely they'll email you a copy of it.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
Amazon just mailed me to say Stormlight 2 got delayed until January :\

-

Unfortunately, the release date for the item(s) listed below has changed, and we need to provide you with a new delivery estimate based on the new release date:

Brandon Sanderson "Words of Radiance (The Stormlight Archive, Book 2)"
Estimated arrival date: January 21, 2014

Draynar fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jun 19, 2013

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
You know, looking at the long game I'm honestly not certain Sanderson will live long enough to finish Stormlight Archive; in bitchin' meta fashion someone else may end have having to write the last couple books in the series, continuing the cycle.

Just doing some math here.... assuming the January release date is right, it was just under 3.5 years between books one and two. Granting he was working on Wheel of Time and other projects in between there, but on the other hand I'm sure he has no intention of writing strictly Stormlight Archive going forward. Let's be really optimistic (imo) and say one book every 2.5 years. That's 20 years to finish 8 books--assuming the series stays 10 books and doesn't swell up to 12. That puts the completion date at 2037, when Sanderson will be 57 years old. Doesn't sound too bad, but, well... let's just say I really hope for his own sake and the genre's that he takes better care of himself.

Then again if he ever did decide to write strictly Stormlight Archive he'd finish all eight books by next December. :cawg:

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

Eric the Mauve posted:

You know, looking at the long game I'm honestly not certain Sanderson will live long enough to finish Stormlight Archive; in bitchin' meta fashion someone else may end have having to write the last couple books in the series, continuing the cycle.

Just doing some math here.... assuming the January release date is right, it was just under 3.5 years between books one and two. Granting he was working on Wheel of Time and other projects in between there, but on the other hand I'm sure he has no intention of writing strictly Stormlight Archive going forward. Let's be really optimistic (imo) and say one book every 2.5 years. That's 20 years to finish 8 books--assuming the series stays 10 books and doesn't swell up to 12. That puts the completion date at 2037, when Sanderson will be 57 years old. Doesn't sound too bad, but, well... let's just say I really hope for his own sake and the genre's that he takes better care of himself.

Then again if he ever did decide to write strictly Stormlight Archive he'd finish all eight books by next December. :cawg:

Without wheel of time id imagine the time line will be much smaller. Think how fast he did WoT books.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I don't think he will take 2 and a half years to finish each book. 1 and a half sounds more like it. So 12 years. 15 if you count breaks (in which we will get more books).

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

You know, looking at the long game I'm honestly not certain Sanderson will live long enough to finish Stormlight Archive

With Iain Banks passing recently I'm worried about my other favorite authors. :(

Sanderson's the only author I know of that I'm afraid he's writing too drat much, if he burns out it's going to be a complete meltdown.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

Kalas posted:

With Iain Banks passing recently I'm worried about my other favorite authors. :(

Sanderson's the only author I know of that I'm afraid he's writing too drat much, if he burns out it's going to be a complete meltdown.

I wouldn't worry about him burning out, it seems like he has a lot of fun writing. In one podcast he did he said he had to remind himself to set aside time for reading because writing gave him the same sort of feeling but 'a higher buzz' or something like that. I think it's more likely that he breaks his wrist writing so much than if he burns out.
...Actually that sounds like a realistic possibility considering sometimes I blink and find out he wrote another book when I open my eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock
Uh, BSand is Mormon, which means he will live for a billion years because no drugs, alcohol, coffee, etc.