Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
As with everything at a community college that isn't "transferable gen ed credits 101", you'll learn more on your own at home if you remain motivated. However, if motivation and attention span are an issue, that might be an interesting experience and will keep you on track. Would give you exposure to a lot of stuff, serve as a way to network with a couple of people, etc. I dunno, that looks interesting enough to me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

KetTarma posted:

I decided to see if my local community college has any interesting IT related courses since my courseload is going to be lax fairly soon and....

18 credit hours for a CCNA class spread over 3 semesters? What?

Spoiler: A lot of schools are really exploitative and/or just plain bad. Although that curriculum looks geared toward taking a random person from "wut r computar?" to CCNA certified which might legitimately take that long. I mean, the first course is Basic Computer Concepts.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

KetTarma posted:

I decided to see if my local community college has any interesting IT related courses since my courseload is going to be lax fairly soon and....

18 credit hours for a CCNA class spread over 3 semesters? What?

code:
First Semester
CPT 102 Basic Computer Concepts 3
IST 201 Cisco Internetworking Concepts 3
IST 220 Data Communications 3
Total 9
Second Semester
IST 202 Cisco Router Configuration 3
IST 203 Advanced Cisco Router 
Configuration 3
Total 6
Third Semester
IST 204 Cisco Troubleshooting 3
Total 3

"Basic Computer Concepts"?

At first glance it's kind of odd, but when you really think about it, it's not that surprising that it would take them three semesters to go from "How do I computer" to "why yes, I'd love to troubleshoot the issues you're having in your small- to medium-sized network" - especially if it's :frogsiren: THE NEW CCNA :frogsiren:

My local community college makes an entire Associate's Degree program out of the CCNA/P curriculum.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!
This explains so much for some of my clients.

"Yes, VLANs are necessary"
"Yes you might have to log into a switch to confirm a config"
"And yes, this is much better than a flat network"

Fatal fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jun 14, 2013

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I had a part-time worker at my last job who was in a network security program at a CC. In the second semester of his networking class they had logged into the web interface of a catalyst and that was it, so I kind of took it upon myself to teach him about the CLI and basic interconnectivity.

I could understand an associate's for a CCNP, although if you're at CCNP level you'd better have some drat experience with Windows or *nix otherwise WTF.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Just passed my CCNA... barely. I made a pig's ear out of two of the three sim questions and was sweating when I clicked to submit the final answer.
My relief at passing was dampened a lot by a message that the score is provisional and I might have to retake it if they don't think it represents a "valid measure" of my ability. How likely is that? Has anyone here had to do that after getting a low score or is this for if they think you cheated?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

It's been a while, but I'm fairly certain all scores are considered provisional until they clear Cisco however many days later.

Tasty Wheat
Jul 18, 2012

bitterandtwisted posted:

Just passed my CCNA... barely. I made a pig's ear out of two of the three sim questions and was sweating when I clicked to submit the final answer.
My relief at passing was dampened a lot by a message that the score is provisional and I might have to retake it if they don't think it represents a "valid measure" of my ability. How likely is that? Has anyone here had to do that after getting a low score or is this for if they think you cheated?

About the time Cisco started taking your picture is when they started issuing provisional scores. If you read the fine print, they can take up to 72 hours to confirm your test. There is a URL on the test report you can go to and check your test results, I just wait till they show up in my Certification Progress page.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
I'm going to attempt the CCENT 640-822 today. I've never done a cert exam before so I have no idea how this is going to go.

I used Wendell Odom's INCD1 book and did all of the included practice exams, chapter tests, subnetting practice questions, all of the memory tables and command references, plus some CBT Nuggets videos on a few topics.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Does anyone who has taken CCNA/CCNP Voice have any links to someone who blogged about setting up CUCM in VMware and a GNS3 virtual lab? The ones I have found are pretty weak.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
Just passed the ICND1 640-822. Helps to be very certain of what you know to eliminate the awkward and strange answers from the correct ones.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue
I took a PearsonVUE exam recently at 0800, was given the "Provisional Score" when I finished at 0845. I had my "Offical Score" by 1900 that night.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
How do they send you the official score? Is it by email?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

VR Cowboy posted:

It'll show up in your candidate profile. Make sure you have the correct mailing address on there so they can send you your certificate.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

VR Cowboy posted:

I got an email as well.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Same here, and those bastards never sent me my CCNP certification by snail mail...forever an empty placard on my wall :smith:

Haydez
Apr 8, 2003

EVIL LINK
Surely you afford to buy another ceritficate with that sweet ccnp salary? Aren't they $15? haha

dox
Mar 4, 2006
Only now did I just realize that Pearson Vue (at least in my area) limits you to scheduling the quickest exam exam ~25 days away when I planned to have it done by the end of June. :suicide: Reading over the A+ practice exam looked like a piece of cake (as did the results), so I am wondering if I should just skip A+ and spent that time studying for Security+.

Tasty Wheat
Jul 18, 2012

Haydez posted:

Surely you afford to buy another ceritficate with that sweet ccnp salary? Aren't they $15? haha

You can get them for free, when you get new certs. I have never seen a paper cert of mine, all paper ones have never made it to me, or I just opt to get PDFs. Now and then I re-download all my Cisco PDFs, since recruiters seem to get confused by the arbitrary expiration date on them.

I wish that I could get some of that sweet CCNP money, all my jobs can be done by a monkey with a CCENT or they expect IE level of knowledge (so I don't get those jobs, LOL).

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

I've been revising the CBT Nuggets CCNA stuff but that wasn't enough for me when I took it the first time. What other sources of info/material have you guys been using? I feel like there's a whole bunch of information i'm missing somewhere...!

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

Tasty Wheat posted:

You can get them for free, when you get new certs. I have never seen a paper cert of mine, all paper ones have never made it to me, or I just opt to get PDFs. Now and then I re-download all my Cisco PDFs, since recruiters seem to get confused by the arbitrary expiration date on them.

I wish that I could get some of that sweet CCNP money, all my jobs can be done by a monkey with a CCENT or they expect IE level of knowledge (so I don't get those jobs, LOL).

There's a lot of middle ground out there - the only people who I have seen struggle to find work are those who get silo'd, spending years at a job where you had a specific set of tasks. We interviewed a guy who spent 7 years provisioning ports on 6500 access switches. Guy knew a ton about 6500's, but only when it came to layer 2 - didn't know gently caress all

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

SilentGeek posted:

Were you not able to schedule the test through the Pearson VUE website? That's how I scheduled mine, though the earliest slot I could get was a couple of weeks in the future because the testing centers were already booked up.

Still waiting for them to confirm my account so I can do that. I did not plan well.

Tasty Wheat
Jul 18, 2012

Thirteenth Step posted:

I've been revising the CBT Nuggets CCNA stuff but that wasn't enough for me when I took it the first time. What other sources of info/material have you guys been using? I feel like there's a whole bunch of information i'm missing somewhere...!

I went down in flames on my first try. My solution was labbing and taking lots and lots of notes; I would watch a video about a technology, then read about the technology, lastly I would lab it. I used Trainsignal back when Chris Bryant did them back in '06, but it's going to be the same principle.

Sepist posted:

There's a lot of middle ground out there - the only people who I have seen struggle to find work are those who get silo'd, spending years at a job where you had a specific set of tasks. We interviewed a guy who spent 7 years provisioning ports on 6500 access switches. Guy knew a ton about 6500's, but only when it came to layer 2 - didn't know gently caress all

Oh, I admit that my last interview I crashed and burned and I also admit I am a bit pigeonholed; knowing how to maintain network while getting shelled does not always translate well back to Corp American (even when you're dealing within the same company, field vs data center). Once I am done with the my latest test it's time to go back to school, redo all the NP R&S material.

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer
So I have my Security+, am most of the way through studying for my A+, and can pick up my N+ relatively quickly if I have to. Do I really need the N+ to pick up a beginning IT job? I want to eventually work my way up to a CISSP and do computer security IT work.

I guess the N+ would be useful to understand why I do the things I need to do for security things?

vv
College courses. Nothing practical/real world. This is essentially me going after my very first IT job and loading up on whatever certifications I can get (I took a course on the N+, but never got around to getting it with my Security+.) to get a job.

FaintlyQuaint fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jun 16, 2013

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Depends what is your experience with networking?

Ganon
May 24, 2003

FaintlyQuaint posted:

So I have my Security+, am most of the way through studying for my A+, and can pick up my N+ relatively quickly if I have to. Do I really need the N+ to pick up a beginning IT job? I want to eventually work my way up to a CISSP and do computer security IT work.

I guess the N+ would be useful to understand why I do the things I need to do for security things?

vv
College courses. Nothing practical/real world. This is essentially me going after my very first IT job and loading up on whatever certifications I can get (I took a course on the N+, but never got around to getting it with my Security+.) to get a job.

It's pretty expensive but if you can afford it then you might as well just knock it out. Otherwise I'd start with CCENT, it covers basic networking concepts and then you can move on to CCNA if you want.

Tasty Wheat
Jul 18, 2012

FaintlyQuaint posted:

vv

I have an rear end ton of Cisco stuff, always worry if I have to much. I have a Security+, but only because jobs have required it. I have let to run into a job that requires a Network+. If you go into Gov network's there will be cert requirements.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
So I finally passed my 647 exam the other day, with a passing grade of 780.

It's now showing up in the MCP portal, someone here said they'd gotten the MCITP: Enterprise admin too and that it was automatically upgraded to the MCSA: 2008 certification

But when I look at the certification planner it's showing that I also have to pass the 646 exam to get this?

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I have a question with registration for the exam:

I set up my test time at a training school since they were the only times that did weekends, Do they have to accept non-students for the test or do I need to change locations?

Island Nation fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jun 16, 2013

XakEp
Dec 20, 2002
Amor est vitae essentia

Finished the OSCP exam after 13 hours. I managed to get root on 4 servers and got a shell on the last server but decided that since I already had 75 points I would rather get to bed than spend the rest of the 24 hour exam dinking with a server for points I didnt need to pass. Turned in the report (64 pages ugh) and now I just wait for the results back.

Fingers crossed!

Tasty Wheat
Jul 18, 2012

Island Nation posted:

I have a question with registration for the exam:

I set up my test time at a training school since they were the only times that did weekends, Do they have to accept non-students for the test or do I need to change locations?

Call them, I have taken tests before in locations where the public could not gain access to. That being said, they should say on their Directions Page (when you registered) if the location is private or limited access.

e. To much time in airplanes, my spelling sucks.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
I'm looking at starting on the VCP5-DCV cert from vmware as I'm told that would easier than a citrix certification. Just how difficult are vmware certs? Apart from the cost which I'll figure out how to deal with. Are they equal or harder than Cisco's? Less math I'm told which is a huge bonus for me but asking here.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

DropsySufferer posted:

I'm looking at starting on the VCP5-DCV cert from vmware as I'm told that would easier than a citrix certification. Just how difficult are vmware certs? Apart from the cost which I'll figure out how to deal with. Are they equal or harder than Cisco's? Less math I'm told which is a huge bonus for me but asking here.

Citrix is by far easier to get than VMware. VMware's tests are very very difficult if you haven't worked with the product, or architecture of a virtualized environment.

I wouldn't say they are as hard as cisco's "you forgot the - so it is wrong", but if you haven't been working with VMware or Virtualization you are going to have a tough time.

My friend did a right up of his expirence FYI
http://www.vhersey.com/2013/02/citrix-certified-advanced-administrator-ccaa-for-xenapp-6/

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jun 17, 2013

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 minutes!
Heh - there are Citrix Certs too... Curious, how much are these worth on their own? Are they as valuable as a CCNA or CCIE?

Gap In The Tooth
Aug 16, 2004

theperminator posted:

It's now showing up in the MCP portal, someone here said they'd gotten the MCITP: Enterprise admin too and that it was automatically upgraded to the MCSA: 2008 certification

But when I look at the certification planner it's showing that I also have to pass the 646 exam to get this?

The 646 Exam is the Server Administrator exam. So essentially finishing off MCITP: Server Administrator.

My feeling is that you can't just jump to Enterprise Admin, you need to get certified as an SA first, then it will automatically bump you up once it acknowledges your 647.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

Corvettefisher posted:

Citrix is by far easier to get than VMware. VMware's tests are very very difficult if you haven't worked with the product, or architecture of a virtualized environment.

I wouldn't say they are as hard as cisco's "you forgot the - so it is wrong", but if you haven't been working with VMware or Virtualization you are going to have a tough time.

My friend did a right up of his expirence FYI
http://www.vhersey.com/2013/02/citrix-certified-advanced-administrator-ccaa-for-xenapp-6/

I'd only have experience if you count something like VMware workstation or virtualbox which are basically for end users and developers.

That's very helpful, thanks. Still planning as this is a big change on what I was doing before (CCNA). From reading your friend's article it seems like a good idea to get a Citrix cert first in order to get some basic experience and then move to VMware.

Tab8715 posted:

Heh - there are Citrix Certs too... Curious, how much are these worth on their own? Are they as valuable as a CCNA or CCIE?

I suppose it would depend on your perspective employer and what they want. Mine did not care about the CCNA in the least bit but that's a university environment. No idea on the industry as a whole other than the CCIE is highly regarded and very expensive.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Gap In The Tooth posted:

The 646 Exam is the Server Administrator exam. So essentially finishing off MCITP: Server Administrator.

My feeling is that you can't just jump to Enterprise Admin, you need to get certified as an SA first, then it will automatically bump you up once it acknowledges your 647.

It's all good, I got another email today notifying me that I've been qualified as MCSA 2008 too.

Fat load of good that is, my cert is only useful until october. I'll need to upgrade to 2012 if they need my certs to go towards our partnership.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Tab8715 posted:

There are places that are heavily invested in Citrix and might place a check mark next to your resume because of a specific Citrix cert, but as a whole I'd say it's probably not nearly as "valuable" career-wise as a CCNA, and certainly not in the same universe as a CCIE.

We use XenApp Server and it's wholly owned, operated, and designed by the Windows sysadmin team.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 minutes!

Ozu posted:

There are places that are heavily invested in Citrix and might place a check mark next to your resume because of a specific Citrix cert, but as a whole I'd say it's probably not nearly as "valuable" career-wise as a CCNA, and certainly not in the same universe as a CCIE.

We use XenApp Server and it's wholly owned, operated, and designed by the Windows sysadmin team.

Ah, I figured as much. Sounds like something you'd do after you got your MCSE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

theperminator posted:

Congrats man. I have to take my 3rd crack at it really soon. What did you use to study? I missed the first try by 1 question and the 2nd by 2 questions. I know there's another goon in here in a similar situation.