Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Is there anything I'd be missing if I get something like this (oz and tbsp markings) as opposed to a set of jiggers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

You'd miss not looking like a douche
Just kidding, I use a graduated jigger myself: https://www.naranja.co.jp/c/cgi/page/webpage.php?wpid=262&wcid=310

Depending on what recipes you follow, metric readings are useful to have as well.
Jiggers pretty much allow you to pour regardless of what direction it's facing, but a measuring cup, not so great to pour out of the side.

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jun 11, 2013

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Splinter posted:

Is there anything I'd be missing if I get something like this (oz and tbsp markings) as opposed to a set of jiggers?

I use these and they are hands down the best jiggers I've ever tried. Go nuts.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

They're particularly useful if you need 1/4 oz. of something and don't feel like measuring out 1.5 tsp.

swimming anime
Jan 4, 2006

For home use, go with whatever is easiest for you. Jiggers are meant for speed and visual ease, neither are as important aspects unless you're working at 1am on a friday night blitzed on fernet.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Kenning posted:

I mean, if your primary interest is in having a proper cup, you'll pony up for a proper cup. If you primary interest is in not spending too much money, I'd just forget about having a proper cup in the first place and use whatever you've been using. I definitely wouldn't get a stainless steel half-sphere and serve a julep out of it because it'll just look silly.

What you should really do is spend like $90 after shipping and get a sterling silver julep cup because why not go for broke?

They're actually cups, not bowls, but they are shallower than I'd like.
I guess I care less about the "proper" cup as I do about the properties of the cup. Appearance is secondary, but still an issue.

I'm going to buy two of those cheap 8-10 oz. 3-piece shakers and try using the bottoms of them. I just found some for 4 bucks each -and if they don't do the trick for me they can just go in with the camping gear.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

zerojake posted:

For home use, go with whatever is easiest for you. Jiggers are meant for speed and visual ease, neither are as important aspects unless you're working at 1am on a friday night blitzed on fernet.

At which point muscle memory takes over, so you should be fine. This is what you trained for. Never forget.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

I use this at home. It's great because it also includes measurement marks for mLs, though anything requiring less than 0.5 oz you'll have to eyeball or use something smaller. It's also convenient when measuring out larger portions of a cocktail for multiple people since you won't have to be refilling your jigger as often with up to 5 oz of volume.

http://www.amazon.com/Anchor-Hocking-5-Ounce-Measuring-Glass/dp/B001QYAGO4

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I got something like that at a Garden Ridge for $2, and it measures quarter-ounces.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

The best thing about the little measuring cup jiggers is the angled measures on the inside so you can see the amount of your pour from above. Having a million different measurements on your jigger is all well and good, but gently caress holding something at eye level every time you want to get an exact pour.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

nrr posted:

The best thing about the little measuring cup jiggers is the angled measures on the inside so you can see the amount of your pour from above. Having a million different measurements on your jigger is all well and good, but gently caress holding something at eye level every time you want to get an exact pour.
I want to get one of those. I used one at a birthday party on Saturday, and it was invaluable when some people asked me to start making a couple simple rail cocktails I had learned, which always go over well at parties. People have a tendency to leave liquor at the birthday boy's place, so I had a lot of stuff to work with. It didn't top his roommate making the Borg Cube he learned to make from The Star Trek Experience in Vegas. (It's a sort-of punch made in a sort-of fishbowl with dry ice to make it smoke all over the place.)

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Thanks for the measuring device feedback. I now have an angled mini Oxo measure and cube ice trays en route from Amazon and basic tools (weighted tins, spoon, juicer, 2 strainers & a muddler) en route from Cocktail Kingdom. Can't wait to get started.

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

I was gifted a gigantic bottle bitters so I made a Trinidad Sour. http://www.cocktailchronicles.com/2009/05/06/3030-20-the-trinidad-sour/

1oz Angostura bitters
1oz orgeat
0.75oz lemon juice
0.5oz Bonded Rye
Shake/strain/coupe/poo poo pants

Absolutely awesome. The orgeat takes some of the edge off the bitters, but there is still huge spice as you would probably guess. Seems like a weakling rye would just get buried in the spice so use something strong, I used Rittenhouse. The aroma of this thing makes you feel like your in a Trindad spice market.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

Salvor_Hardin posted:

My current bar:
<snip>
Shouldn't you be keeping the lower proof stuff refrigerated (Lillet, creme de violette, Cynar, etc.)? Sour Lillet is maybe the worst thing ever... I'm new to this thread so I may have missed the 'how to store your poo poo' discussions.

Anyhow, random drink for the night:
Boulevardier of Broken Dreams: 1 part Islay Scotch (Laphroig 10yr), 1 part Malort (Jeppson's), 1 part sweet French vermouth (Dolin rouge).

Garnish with a lemon twist, an optional dash of sea salt, serve on the rocks. The ice will melt over time, bringing the Malort and citrus more forward - use this time to contemplate how you have failed to achieve your goals.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

That's a hilarious isomorphism, I can't imagine what it would taste like.

And yeah, anything below 24% ABV should technically be refrigerated to help preserve its flavor. Stuff like creme de violette will at worst go flat, since it's just sugar, alcohol, water, and flavors. Wine-based ingredients like Lillet and vermouth will actually go sour and get quite unpleasant.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

I finally got a set of cocktail glasses. Here's the margarita I just made:

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Looks awesome, but do try to leave a cm or so empty on top so you can pick it up and drink without spilling. You can always go back for seconds. :)

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Thanks. Yeah. Found out I'd been a little too generous the hard way.

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun
How much difference does the green juicer make for limes compared to the yellow one?

http://www.nisbets.co.uk/Hand-Lemon-Squeezer/DP122/ProductDetail.raction

I find there's an extra squeeze of juice left in my limes when I juice them using my yellow squeezer, and I want to make sure I don't waste any!

dema
Aug 13, 2006

I've got both. Will test if I make a margarita this afternoon.

Suspect it's best to avoid totally wringing out the lime though.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

...why?

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Why indeed.

Ended up having a Manhattan instead.

Have decided two cherries is one too many.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

That's a classy loving photo right there.

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

How are the Luxardo cherries? I've been meaning to get some once I finish my bottle of semi-homemade brandy soaked ones, but I need to justify it to myself since they are kind of pricey.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

drat fine, but make your own.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Chuck Biscuits posted:

How are the Luxardo cherries? I've been meaning to get some once I finish my bottle of semi-homemade brandy soaked ones, but I need to justify it to myself since they are kind of pricey.

They're amazing compared to the standard maraschino cherries but it sounds like you've already got that under control.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Also, they're super sweet. Two in a Manhattan was overpowering. One with minimal syrup was good though.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
I gotta get the recipe for the cherries we make at work. Perfect amount of sweetness and boozeness.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Vegetable Melange posted:

drat fine, but make your own.

What's your recipe for that? I tried once and they were terrible.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I'd love some advice on making my own booze cherries that would serve as an Old Fashioned garnish. (Don't be scared, I'm not going to muddle them.)

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

drain out the syrup and fill that poo poo up with brandy and bourbon

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Um, I was going to start with real cherries, not try to save maraschino cherries from themselves.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Buy nice, sour cherries. Immerse in brandy/maraschino/kierschwasser/etc. Let sit until delish. Buy a spray bottle for aversion therapy to keep your lover/roommate/drinking buddies from eating them.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

And yeah, don't use cancer cherries I didn't think we'd have to stipulate that.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!
I use this recipe and it's great:

2 cups sugar
4 cups brandy
2 lbs. fresh sweet cherries, stemmed and pitted

Dissolve sugar in brandy in a sterilized 2–3-quart glass jar with a tight-fitting lid. Add cherries. Cover jar and allow cherries to macerate in the refrigerator for 6 weeks. Cherries will keep, refrigerated, for up to 1 year.

The liquid you wind up with is pretty great too.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
Margatreeta:
2oz eucalyptus infused reposado tequila (buy dried eucalyptus leaves, shove in bottle of tequila, wait three days)
3/4oz Skinos (weird Greek liqueur that showed up, made from the sap of the mastiha tree)
1/2oz lemon juice
dash agave nectar

This to me tastes like southern California (and a bit like my grandparents' backyard :smith:) and it's absolutely delicious. Woodsy, medicinal, but inexplicably pleasant. I'd made the eucalyptus reposado and inflicted it on people with middling to poor results before, but the Skinos made all the difference here.

Indigogo
1 1/2oz blueberry vodka
1/4oz rosemary vodka
3/4oz Creme Yvette
1/2oz Amaro Averna
1/2oz lemon juice
Shake, top with soda, garnish with a lemon.

The Averna and rosemary really bring out whatever makes blueberries taste real, instead of like a popsicle.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

I got me some unaged rye (made with 100% rye, so it's actually pretty nice surprisingly) and some vanilla bitters. Thinking of whipping up a manhattan with these flavours. I figure the vanilla in the bitters can give a little bit of the flavour of the barrel.

Alternatively, try home barel aging it?

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

bunnyofdoom posted:

I got me some unaged rye (made with 100% rye, so it's actually pretty nice surprisingly) and some vanilla bitters. Thinking of whipping up a manhattan with these flavours. I figure the vanilla in the bitters can give a little bit of the flavour of the barrel.

Alternatively, try home barrel aging it?

Try putting some gentian in with that. It's got this weird unwashed potato bitterness with a hint of vanilla-y sweetness on the very end, so I had been thinking a manhattan along the lines of vanilla bean-infused rye with something like Saler's Aperitif.

Hell, barrel-aged vanilla bitters could work too.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

I mixed up one with a 1.5/1 ratio Rye to Vermouth, with a dash of vanilla bitters in it. It actually worked really well. Good flavour, no harshness, it had a good mouth feel too.

To be honest, however, I did shake instead of stir. So, the ice may have rounded off the edges

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

Klauser posted:

I use this recipe and it's great:

I make maraschinos and brandied cherries, but the maraschinos just kind of sit there and never get used - the only cocktails I really drink during winter are Manhattans and Old Fashioneds, and both are far better with brandied cherries.

Brandied Cherries, from 'The Preservation Kitchen: The Craft of Making and Cooking with Pickles, Preserves, and Aigre-doux' by Paul Virant (his Beer Jam Manhattan is really, really good)

Brandy: 310g (18%)
Water: 241g (14%)
Sugar: 172g (10%)
Cherries: 1kg (58%). He uses pitted/stemmed, I don't

- combine brandy/water/sugar, bring to the boil, simmer til dissolved
- Pack cherries into ~3-4 pint jars
- Pour mixuture over cherries, can/seal or fridge
- Make a god drat Manhattan