Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Cygni posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPzRPga6uDg
probably better on mute, but amazing

Never seen that video, but I have seen the real deal more than once in China. Typically instead of courier packages it's people's actual luggage being tossed and rolling off the conveyor belt. What I find hilarious is that the guy in the video probably took twice as long to do it that way than actually picking them up and setting them on the conveyor.

Also, just got the email that her flight has been confirmed for the 20th. All it took was for me to pretend to be a dentist's receptionist asking for the supervisor's extension to confirm an appointment, had one of his underlings give it to me, then call back again (so as to not get caught in a lie) and ask for his extension directly from the Air China operator, let him know the situation, and 3 minutes later there was a confirmation in my email.

He said that there have been a lot of complaints, and he will deal with it (didn't sound very convincing). I'm guessing his hands are tied and he's just operating a "visa farm" for rich kids who want to live in LA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Blistex posted:

So for the past 4 days I have been trying to get the credit I have from that missed flight put towards a new one, but the customer support in the LA office is just full of the daughters of wealthy Chinese Nationals who want an excuse to live in the US without having to go to school.

Kinda hard to feel sorry for you with this type of unfounded stuff. Sorry you've had a bad time with them but you don't know much about their backgrounds.

The rule for foreign carriers to me is always confirm, confirm, confirm. 24 hours before flight? Confirm. Especially when their solution was to move the flights a week(!) because of a late incoming flight. "Your person told me a week ago" is a terrible defense for anything, and it's possible that they did put her on the same flight number and in a week they adjusted times for seasonal winds/weather, connections, etc.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

sellouts posted:

The rule for foreign carriers to me is always confirm, confirm, confirm. 24 hours before flight? Confirm. Especially when their solution was to move the flights a week(!) because of a late incoming flight. "Your person told me a week ago" is a terrible defense for anything, and it's possible that they did put her on the same flight number and in a week they adjusted times for seasonal winds/weather, connections, etc.

Yah it was partly her fault for not confirming, but the person at the desk told her to keep the eticket from the previous one as, "all the times are the same, just the date is different, when they type the ticket number into the system it will route to the new one". Also the flight didn't change times, it was always leaving at that time, the person at the desk just didn't notice that they were not the same times. I've instructed my wife to phone the day before, and show up 4 hours before her flight minimum.

sellouts posted:

Kinda hard to feel sorry for you with this type of unfounded stuff. Sorry you've had a bad time with them but you don't know much about their backgrounds.

No, I'm guessing I'm right. This is pretty common with a lot of the employees of Chinese multinationals stationed in places like LA, New York, and other locations seen as being desirable. I used to tutor a rich kid in China who had older cousins working in what we would consider menial jobs with very low hours in New York and London. There are actually forums and job postings all over the Chinese internet (especially government official message boards) about "easy jobs" for older kids going abroad. All that's usually required is being bilingual, a few ten-thousand RMB to grease the wheels, and "boom" work visa for 20 hours a week at minimum wage. Not that it is ever about the pay, but being able to live in those cities. Given the poo poo they were pulling on the phone, and the defeated tone in their supervisor's voice, I'm guessing I'm probably right. I've never encountered this kind of horrendous service in China or when calling Chinese companies in Toronto, Chicago, or other places not deemed "desirable". The people on the other side of the phone either didn't care about their jobs, or they didn't fear losing them. Considering the thousands of people in China who apply for any manner of job overseas, I'm sure Air China can find a crew with a better attitude than what they have right now.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

So AA are refitting their MD80s and 73Xs to squeeze in more seats.

I was hoping they'd retire their Mad Dogs soon so someone else could get them (I like MDs but dislike flying AA). Guess that's a 'no.'

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

I was hoping they'd retire their Mad Dogs soon so someone else could get them (I like MDs but dislike flying AA). Guess that's a 'no.'

As a mad dog lover you should fly Delta. They still have loving DC-9s in service!

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Anyone like trainers?

I got a lot more of these if you'd like to see

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Bob A Feet posted:

Anyone like trainers?

Yes, but I'd prefer to see a chipmunk or provost in that livery. Is that Linton-on-Ouse?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Those are going straight to cargo when they retire if they're not worn ragged. Allegiant doesn't even want them.

Also, Delta will have four types of mad dog in service at once in Q4 of this year - DC-9-50, MD-88, MD-90-30, MD-95.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Also, Delta will have four types of mad dog in service at once in Q4 of this year - DC-9-50, MD-88, MD-90-30, MD-95.

Logistics? What the gently caress is that?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

MrYenko posted:

Logistics? What the gently caress is that?

Delta certainly marches to the beat of a different drummer. Their mentality is basically: who gives a gently caress about logistics cost when your acquisition cost is so low that your theoretical commonality savings will never pay off the acquisition cost savings.

I do think that airlines overrate fuel econ and parts commonality, especially when they outsource so much heavy maint.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Blistex posted:

Air China stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPzRPga6uDg

Looks like China Airlines isn't much better!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Delta certainly marches to the beat of a different drummer. Their mentality is basically: who gives a gently caress about logistics cost when your acquisition cost is so low that your theoretical commonality savings will never pay off the acquisition cost savings.

I do think that airlines overrate fuel econ and parts commonality, especially when they outsource so much heavy maint.

I don't agree on fuel economy, that's a significant chunk of your cost of operations, however I do agree on the second part.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Bob A Feet posted:

Anyone like trainers?

I got a lot more of these if you'd like to see

Is that Pensacola? Tell me that's Pensacola (those trees look very NW Florida).

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011
e: guess I'm wrong, nvm

Enjoy some gigapixel panoramic B36

http://www.nmusafvirtualtour.com/media/062/B-36J%20Engineer.html

SybilVimes fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jun 18, 2013

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Delta needs to get a 787, A300, A350 and A380 to say that they have literally one of everything.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

YF19pilot posted:

Is that Pensacola? Tell me that's Pensacola (those trees look very NW Florida).

Close enough! Whiting Field

SybilVimes posted:

e: guess I'm wrong, nvm

Enjoy some gigapixel panoramic B36

http://www.nmusafvirtualtour.com/media/062/B-36J%20Engineer.html

Holy gently caress this is cool

Bob A Feet fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jun 18, 2013

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The only cost you save when outsourcing your heavy checks is labour. Parts cost what they cost, and they cost even more if you're relying on your 3rd party MRO to source them, because they're going to add the appropriate markup. Also, you'd be surprised how little actual commonality there is within a given aircraft family, especially if you're getting your fleet piecemeal rather than from a single production run. The savings in having a common or similar fleet have more to do with pilot and maintenance training and familiarity than parts commonality.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Bob A Feet posted:

Holy gently caress this is cool

That is a shitload of gauges.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

I'm a Kryptonium SkyMiles member (only three more segments this year and I'll be at Ham Sandwich level!) because ATL was the only hub near me for a long long time.

I think I've flown about 60% of the bodies that Delta have doing mid-range and TCON legs out of ATL, plus the -88 and the -90 (maybe? I was too drunk to take note) and mot of the obligatory Embraer BarbieJets that serve points south of ATL through Delta Connection. Don't think I've flown the ex-Gulf Air 767-3P6s, just the Delta 763-200s.

Also, surely that grass is too green to be Pensacola?

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jun 18, 2013

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Bob A Feet posted:

Close enough! Whiting Field

I lived in that area (well, FWB/Hurlburt) for 15 years. Last place I had was in Navarre right next to Holly Nolf, so I got to see these guys occasionally (or the local RC airplane club).

Also, surely that grass is too green to be Pensacola?

It was probably taken during the winter :v: (actually the local crab-grass and what not holds up fairly well; the stuff you want to use in lawns not so much)

CovfefeCatCafe fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jun 18, 2013

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
A wild B-29 appears!

The CAF is at Akron-Fulton airport - about five minutes from where I live - for the next two days. I'm going to try to get some pictures of the B-29 during take-off and landing when they're doing the $1,500/seat morning rides.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

wdarkk posted:

That is a shitload of gauges.

So... how do you control the jets?

edit: lol never seen a "4 minute turn" gauge before.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

hobbesmaster posted:

So... how do you control the jets?

edit: lol never seen a "4 minute turn" gauge before.

The power levers for the jet engines are in the overhead between the two pilots.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Yeah there they are. I figured the flight engineer's station would have some reference to them.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Geoj posted:

A wild B-29 appears!

The CAF is at Akron-Fulton airport - about five minutes from where I live - for the next two days. I'm going to try to get some pictures of the B-29 during take-off and landing when they're doing the $1,500/seat morning rides.

Crap, I need to get up there, too. How did I not hear about this sooner?

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

hobbesmaster posted:

Yeah there they are. I figured the flight engineer's station would have some reference to them.

Also, the B-36B didn't have the J47s, just the 6 Wasp Majors (though all of the Bs were later converted to Ds)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

That's a J though?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The engine gauges for the jet engines are on the center of the forward instrument panel. That fact by itself highlights a large reason piston engined airliners went extinct: you didn't need a dedicated crew member (or two) to operate and monitor the engines, any more.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Flight Engineers weren't eliminated until FADEC and glass cockpits came along.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Su35 gets tossed around at Paris

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=8b4_1371530994

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Kilonum posted:

Flight Engineers weren't eliminated until FADEC and glass cockpits came along.

Yeah, airliners didn't start eliminating the FE position until the '80s, with the A300B4 and 747-400.

The USAF still has FEs on multiple airframes. I'll let you draw your own conclusions as to what that says about the age of our fleet.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Hey, there's nothing wrong with first stage of a cruise missilebomber crews being younger than the planes they are flying.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

iyaayas01 posted:

Yeah, airliners didn't start eliminating the FE position until the '80s, with the A300B4 and 747-400.

The USAF still has FEs on multiple airframes. I'll let you draw your own conclusions as to what that says about the age of our fleet.

I seriously don't understand how the KC-135 doesn't have a FE but all the other C-135 derivatives do.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kilonum posted:

Hey, there's nothing wrong with first stage of a cruise missilebomber crews being younger than the planes they are flying.

The Air Force posted:

The B-52’s long and rich heritage is illustrated by stories of families who have up to three generations of Airmen who worked on the B-52, such as 1st Lt. Daniel Welch, a B-52 co-pilot at Minot. Welch is a third-generation crew member on the airframe. According to Welch, his grandfather flew every B-52 model and commanded Welch’s current squadron at Minot, the 23rd Bomb Squadron. Welch’s father was also a B-52 crew member during his time in the Air Force.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

hobbesmaster posted:

I seriously don't understand how the KC-135 doesn't have a FE but all the other C-135 derivatives do.

Gen. LeMay didn't want 'em, apparently.

http://forums.military.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/364190332/m/2040094161001

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
So it seems that the truth has come out how Yuri Gagarin really died and the root cause.

http://rt.com/news/gagarin-death-truth-revealed-674/

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man
Something my mom sent me that I figured you all would enjoy! A bunch of vintage LAX shots. Lots of DC-6s/7s, Connies, etc.

http://jonproctor.net/lax-through-the-years/

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Blistex posted:

No, I'm guessing I'm right. This is pretty common with a lot of the employees of Chinese multinationals stationed in places like LA, New York, and other locations seen as being desirable.

I'm guessing your paintbrush is too wide for the job.
I know the girls at the Vancouver CA office and while their customer service is piss poor, they are most certainly not daughters of rich government officials. Management is rotated out from Beijing every few years. There's plenty of nepotism, but some of the girls got that crappy job the old fashioned way.

I don't know why customer service standards are so low, but the girls work part time hours and don't get any health or flight benefits. Makes me wonder why they'd work there in the first place.

Still yeah, you're much better off pay a few hundred more and flying Air Canada.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

hobbesmaster posted:

They don't. 707-type airframes in the USAF inventory have FE's while any -135 model doesn't. They're two separate lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

holocaust bloopers posted:

They don't. 707-type airframes in the USAF inventory have FE's while any -135 model doesn't. They're two separate lines.

Right, 717 vs 707. That military.com article claimed a much higher mishap rate in the 2 man cockpit variants vs 3 man cockpits. Go LeMay.

edit: The author there really has an axe to grind though, the MD-11 doesn't have that terrible of a safety record.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jun 18, 2013