Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Hadlock posted:

Sometime this fall. Intel is rolling out the i7's (highest margin? also to help sell down the i3/i5 ivy bridges?) and then standard i5 stuff will follow once the bleeding edge i7 crowd has had their fill. Probably late/end of September when Back to School season ends and the Christmas season begins.

This waiting for Haswell is some painful poo poo, Hadlock :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON

fookolt posted:

This waiting for Haswell is some painful poo poo, Hadlock :argh:

Oh wow I did not realize the rollout was being spread out over half a year, that explains a lot!

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I want a laptop for starting distance education this August. I would ideally wait for Haswell, but it looks like they are taking their sweet time to actually release anything. Plus, when the new shinies are available, I'd have to pay the Australia tax and probably face highly inflated prices.

All that said, should I look at buying one of the discounted Thinkpads that I can get on ebay? For example, this T430, perhaps because it's refurbished, is a seemingly good price, and from what I've read I could upgrade the harddrive to an SSD for around $250. I think I read that you can upgrade the RAM at home too? Plus, it has the HD+ screen with 1600x900 resolution.

Alternately, this Dell Inspiron 15R SE has a '15.6" FHD Anti-glare (1920x1080)' screen and more RAM/bigger HDD.

Any ideas?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

if it was me I would get the Dell. Better screen and it has a warranty. Do not get laptops without support.

AntimatterSpork
Apr 23, 2008

Modéré, je vous prie.

Hadlock posted:

Sometime this fall. Intel is rolling out the i7's (highest margin? also to help sell down the i3/i5 ivy bridges?) and then standard i5 stuff will follow once the bleeding edge i7 crowd has had their fill. Probably late/end of September when Back to School season ends and the Christmas season begins.

does this mean that those of us who've been waiting for the thinkpad refresh can expect to be holding on another couple months? i need to upgrade before september, so that's a little too much for me

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

AntimatterSpork posted:

does this mean that those of us who've been waiting for the thinkpad refresh can expect to be holding on another couple months? i need to upgrade before september, so that's a little too much for me

I'd like to know this as well.. There's no way my laptop's surviving another few months, it's getting to the point where it's barely usable now. If I'm going to be waiting another couple months for the refresh, I'm buying an ivy bridge Thinkpad tomorrow.

sports
Sep 1, 2012

knox_harrington posted:

Damnit there's something rolling around inside my new x230. Sounds like a loose screw or cable inside the front right corner. So annoying! I checked my warranty status and it says 3 year on site, that means someone will come out and mend it, right? Or should I take out the keyboard and have a look?

I don't want to void the warranty but at the same time really don't want to send it away for repair / return it.

ThinkPad support is still handled by IBM. They go above and beyond what most custserv people do. I called in for a hard drive (claiming I had a "bad sector" when it really just ran out of room) and got a new one shipped first class to me.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

sports
Sep 1, 2012

you ate my cat posted:

I'd like to know this as well.. There's no way my laptop's surviving another few months, it's getting to the point where it's barely usable now. If I'm going to be waiting another couple months for the refresh, I'm buying an ivy bridge Thinkpad tomorrow.

If you were to buy a laptop tomorrow, I'd suggest an X220. Sandy->Ivy bridge wasn't so much a milestone as Ivy->Haswell.

Also, the X220 stays around $600.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
So, just to be clear, for someone such as me that has been happily chugging along with his E8800 + Radeon HD 4850 for the past 3 years, does this mean that this year I could, theoretically, buy a laptop that would completely replace my desktop and get even better performance?

I mean, it would be fantastic just for the sake of being able to use it in my room, and then plug it into the living room TV when I want to play a steam game on it.

Edit: I realize that this was probably the case long before, I meant in the sense that it'd be a relatively affordable, lightweight, less power consumption, etc.

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jun 17, 2013

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

So, just to be clear, for someone such as me that has been happily chugging along with his E8800 + Radeon HD 4850 for the past 3 years, does this mean that this year I could, theoretically, buy a laptop that would completely replace my desktop and get even better performance?

Absolutely.

Of course, it depends if you want a "mobile desktop" (see: all Alienware 17" machines) or something more portable. Even the Iris graphics in the new Haswell chips contends with dedicated cards and should at least match the performance you're getting with your current setup, and dedicated cards in laptops are not uncommon anymore.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Protocol7 posted:

Absolutely.

Of course, it depends if you want a "mobile desktop" (see: all Alienware 17" machines) or something more portable. Even the Iris graphics in the new Haswell chips contends with dedicated cards and should at least match the performance you're getting with your current setup, and dedicated cards in laptops are not uncommon anymore.

I really only game 3-4 hours a week and I'm usually buying games on sale years after they've come out. I have absolutely no problem in being behind the curve.

My main concern is having a lightweight, portable, and silent machine for working but it'd be fantastic if it could also serve as my gaming machine.

Edit: meant to say 3-4 hours a week.

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jun 17, 2013

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

I really only game 3-4 hours a week and I'm usually buying games on sale years after they've come out. I have absolutely no problem in being behind the curve.

My main concern is having a lightweight, portable, and silent machine for working but it'd be fantastic if it could also serve as my gaming machine.

Edit: meant to say 3-4 hours a week.

I'm not quite up to date on what machines are the greatest nowadays, but I'd be most worried with how the system performs with games 2-3 years down the line. For everyday performance, something like a Macbook Air would be great and has absolutely crazy battery life while still being usable.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Protocol7 posted:

I'm not quite up to date on what machines are the greatest nowadays, but I'd be most worried with how the system performs with games 2-3 years down the line. For everyday performance, something like a Macbook Air would be great and has absolutely crazy battery life while still being usable.

I'm honestly extremely surprised by how well my old system still runs fairly new games. I mean, I'm obviously not going to be running Crysis or whatever at max specs, and I honestly don't care to, but I'm running games like Max Payne 3 beautifully with a graphics card that was already old by the time I bought it. My max resolution for the forseeable future is 1440*900 or 720p, so that's not an issue.

I'm sure a lot of it is the fact that this console generation has extended a lot longer than most, which means games have focused a lot on optimization. Maybe the new console generation will ruin it for the rest of us cheapskates.

However, if I can get the kind of mileage out of a Haswell laptop that I got from my old-rear end desktop, I'd be more than happy.

T-Shaped
Jan 16, 2006

The weapons you pick up along the way help. At least they help you do less talking.

I'm honestly extremely surprised by how well my old system still runs fairly new games. I mean, I'm obviously not going to be running Crysis or whatever at max specs, and I honestly don't care to, but I'm running games like Max Payne 3 beautifully with a graphics card that was already old by the time I bought it. My max resolution for the forseeable future is 1440*900 or 720p, so that's not an issue.

I'm sure a lot of it is the fact that this console generation has extended a lot longer than most, which means games have focused a lot on optimization. Maybe the new console generation will ruin it for the rest of us cheapskates.

However, if I can get the kind of mileage out of a Haswell laptop that I got from my old-rear end desktop, I'd be more than happy.

I would start looking through NotebookCheck, see which laptop GFX cards support your needs, and go from there.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-680M-SLI.76545.0.html

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
I’m looking for a new laptop for coding/web/chatting purposes. Looking to code more in my spare time and going to take this course https://www.coursera.org/course/startup . I code on a Windows machine at work and kinda looking for a change but am also curious why so many people like to code on Macs.

Cost isn’t an issue as long as it’s a good deal. Been looking at the MBA 13” and I have a work discount that lowers the 13” 128GB to $1,033. Thoughts?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

T-Shaped posted:

I would start looking through NotebookCheck, see which laptop GFX cards support your needs, and go from there.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-680M-SLI.76545.0.html

The graph in the OP seems to imply that Haswell chips will have decent-to-good integrated graphics, though?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

My 2012 era x230 i5-3320 laptop is about as fast CPU wise as my 2009/2010 era i5-750 desktop. My laptop was supposed to be a mobile computing crutch, now it gets about as much use as my desktop, especially since the x230 has a high end ultimate-N antenna and I can use it on the back patio with a 108mbps connection.

The HD4000 in my laptop is about half as fast as the 460 GTX in my desktop. That's plenty fast for almost any indie game on the planet, netflix, hulu, editing HD video etc.

The graph in the OP seems to imply that Haswell chips will have decent-to-good integrated graphics, though?

Haswell GPU will do Skyrim happily, BF3 just barely on low, based on early reports. Integrated graphics have come a long ways.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

I'm looking at getting the Lenovo Y410p since it's been upgraded to Haswell and has a ridiculous sale price right now. The specs are:

quote:

Processor
4th Generation Intel Core i7-4700MQ Processor (2.40GHz 1600MHz 6MB)
-
Operating System
Windows 8 64
-
Display
14.0" HD+ Anti-Glare LED Backlit with integrated camera 1600x900
-
Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GT750M GDDR5 2GB
-
Memory
8.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM 1600 MHz
-
Hard Drive
1TB 5400 RPM
-
Optical Drive
DVD Recordable (Dual Layer)
-
Network Card
Intel Centrino Wireless N-2230
-
Bluetooth
Bluetooth Version 4.0
-
Warranty
One year
-
Battery
6 Cell Lithium-Ion

It's normally $1300 but on sale with the B&N link for $790. I'd like for it to be able to play any game out today (not necessarily on high settings), and while I need it to be mobile it won't be unplugged often or tossed into a backpack, so battery life and durability don't have to be excellent.

The hard drive is terrible but apparently putting a SSD into lenovo's Y series is pretty easy, so I plan on getting a 120 GB SSD off newegg along with the laptop. Besides that hard drive issue, is there anything else I'm missing or should be made aware of before I buy this laptop?

mewse
May 2, 2006

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

The hard drive is terrible but apparently putting a SSD into lenovo's Y series is pretty easy, so I plan on getting a 120 GB SSD off newegg along with the laptop. Besides that hard drive issue, is there anything else I'm missing or should be made aware of before I buy this laptop?

The y410p with integrated SSD isn't msata, it's m.2 or something. Doesn't matter if you're replacing the 1TB drive

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

mewse posted:

The y410p with integrated SSD isn't msata, it's m.2 or something. Doesn't matter if you're replacing the 1TB drive

I don't know what that means.

Also the $790 y410p doesn't come with an integrated SSD at all.

mewse
May 2, 2006

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

I don't know what that means.

Also the $790 y410p doesn't come with an integrated SSD at all.

The y400 had a spot for a msata ssd so you could have a 120 gig SSD in addition to the 1TB spinning hard drive. The y410p has changed it to an m.2 (?) ssd and that form factor isn't available from retailers yet.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

mewse posted:

The y400 had a spot for a msata ssd so you could have a 120 gig SSD in addition to the 1TB spinning hard drive. The y410p has changed it to an m.2 (?) ssd and that form factor isn't available from retailers yet.

So would I just have to wait a while before upgrading to a SSD, or is it possible that a SSD may never become available for this laptop?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If you're just going to replace the 1TB hard drive you can use a standard SSD

mewse
May 2, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

If you're just going to replace the 1TB hard drive you can use a standard SSD

Yeah you can replace the 1TB drive with a regular 2.5" ssd.

Once m.2 SSDs are on the market you could have both installed.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Hadlock posted:

My 2012 era x230 i5-3320 laptop is about as fast CPU wise as my 2009/2010 era i5-750 desktop. My laptop was supposed to be a mobile computing crutch, now it gets about as much use as my desktop, especially since the x230 has a high end ultimate-N antenna and I can use it on the back patio with a 108mbps connection.

The HD4000 in my laptop is about half as fast as the 460 GTX in my desktop. That's plenty fast for almost any indie game on the planet, netflix, hulu, editing HD video etc.

Haswell GPU will do Skyrim happily, BF3 just barely on low, based on early reports. Integrated graphics have come a long ways.

Woah, that's amazing. What's the i7-3667U like in comparison to the i5-3320M or i7-3520M in the x230? I'm still eyeing that Helix pretty hard.

Third
Sep 9, 2004
The most noble title any child can have.

AntimatterSpork posted:

Does anyone know the answer to this? I really like the look of the T430 / X230 but I can't wait that long for Haswell-updated versions either (I thought someone said they were coming this month?).

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

returnh posted:

Does anyone know the answer to this? I really like the look of the T430 / X230 but I can't wait that long for Haswell-updated versions either (I thought someone said they were coming this month?).

Someone earlier in the thread claimed there would be an announcement on the 13th, but that didn't pan out. Not really surprising seeing as how it was a completely unsubstantiated claim. IIRC, the T430 was released about two months after IVB was released, so take that for what you will.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

My Gateway NV59 just poo poo on me. The drat DC power supply on the motherboard snapped. I took the whole thing apart and I'm not really sure how confident I am in soldering the motherboard but I'm going to give it a shot. The probability of loving this up is great so I'm looking for a new laptop. I've got a really sweet desktop so I'm just looking for something to do light browsing with. I'm a google fanboy so I've been looking at the Samsung Chromebooks but I have no experience with one and have nowhere in town that I can get my hands on one to play with. I don't really want to spend more than $400 on a laptop, which I realize doesn't give me many options. What should I do here?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

returnh posted:

I just realized thr haswel-based successor to the T430 could possibly last almost 48 hours withe 9-cell and slice batteries.

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON

unpronounceable posted:

Someone earlier in the thread claimed there would be an announcement on the 13th, but that didn't pan out. Not really surprising seeing as how it was a completely unsubstantiated claim. IIRC, the T430 was released about two months after IVB was released, so take that for what you will.

That was me based on a text conversation I had with a Lenovo sales rep. Beyond that the claim had (and now that it is the 17th I can say officially has) no other basis. I am still waiting but growing frequently impatient :smith:

AntimatterSpork
Apr 23, 2008

Modéré, je vous prie.

returnh posted:

I looked around some other places and the general consensus seems to be "not until september or october", although it's all based on speculation so it could be literally whenever. I can't wait that long, so I'm just getting a refurbished T430.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

AntimatterSpork posted:

I looked around some other places and the general consensus seems to be "not until september or october", although it's all based on speculation so it could be literally whenever. I can't wait that long, so I'm just getting a refurbished T430.

I actually called the lenovo sales line and they told me that the company wasn't even telling them. With the Y series it was literally just "We're going to start selling these today!"

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Based on previous generations, what kind of price difference can we expect with the haswell T series? If I'm configuring a T530 now for $829 pre-discount, can I expect a similarly configured (but haswell) T530 (540? I'm not sure how their numbering works) to be under $900-950 pre-discount or is it going to be more?

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Anyone have fan noise issues with their T430? I picked one up for the office and the fan is deafening even when the cpu is only sitting at 40 C. I have never had a problem like this with the other Thinkpads in the office.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Calidus posted:

Anyone have fan noise issues with their T430? I picked one up for the office and the fan is deafening even when the cpu is only sitting at 40 C. I have never had a problem like this with the other Thinkpads in the office.
The fan on mine is barely audible unless the dGPU is on. Might want to check and ensure that there's not something running that's keeping the dGPU busy.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Call thinkpad support, I don't think I've ever heard my i5 powered thinkpad's fan turn on. If it's on, it's not audible.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Calidus posted:

Download tpfancontrol (Yes, the website looks like something made in the 90s and is loaded up with comic sans text, just scroll to the bottom and grab v62).

Cart
Sep 28, 2004

They see me rollin...

I think I may be making the switch from PCs over to the new Macbook Air - that battery life and overall product quality are just too appealing when compared to the PC offerings. Having said that, I've never been a fan of Apple's software, iTunes in particular exemplifying a lot of what they do wrong compared to a streamlined music player like Foobar.

For anyone who's recently made the switch over from PC, how steep is the learning curve? Anyone still attempt juggling between both operating systems through Bootcamp and how seamless is that?

aquaticrabbit
Aug 2, 2004

Cart posted:

I think I may be making the switch from PCs over to the new Macbook Air - that battery life and overall product quality are just too appealing when compared to the PC offerings. Having said that, I've never been a fan of Apple's software, iTunes in particular exemplifying a lot of what they do wrong compared to a streamlined music player like Foobar.

For anyone who's recently made the switch over from PC, how steep is the learning curve? Anyone still attempt juggling between both operating systems through Bootcamp and how seamless is that?

I had the same feelings and ordered the 13" MBA yesterday (i7 proc, 8GB RAM, 256GB HD) after trying it out at my local Apple store. :ohdear:

I figure it's a good excuse to try to learn OSX a bit, plus the girlfriend is dying to retire her old MBP. Bootcamping Windows 7 should hopefully give me the ability to run all of my old Windows programs, although I have a feeling that the battery life won't be as good as running OSX. I haven't heard either way on if there are any driver issues with the new MBAs running Win7 yet.

Have never been a huge Mac fan, but it seems to be a reasonable price for the MBA form factor and hardware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

Cart posted:

I'm in the same boat. My first choice would be a Haswell Thinkpad but I can't wait until September/October and Lenovo seems determined to make the release dates as opaque as possible. I might just suck it up and get an Air with boot camp.