Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

96 BELOW THE WAVE
Sep 12, 2011

all your prayers must seem as nothing

Doh004 posted:

*edit* Holy poo poo, this is the lightest bread I've ever made. It could have a much more uniform crumb, but it's so soft and tasty.

Isn't it ridiculous? I'm a big girl, but I called my mother after using the method the first time, and sent the video to everyone I knew. Will definitely be asking for his Dough, Crust, and Pastry books for my birthday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Doh004 posted:

Gotcha! I just did that technique with 500g of strong white flour, ~350g of water and I proofed 2 1/4 tsp of active dry yeast in warm water for 10 minutes with some white sugar. I just slapped it a ton on my counter top - it was really sticky to start out. I stopped once it was starting to get shiny on the outside and was sticking less to me and the counter. Now I'm letting it proof for an hour. Hope it works :ohdear:

How much sugar did you use? I going to try this tonight.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Zeithos posted:

Isn't it ridiculous? I'm a big girl, but I called my mother after using the method the first time, and sent the video to everyone I knew. Will definitely be asking for his Dough, Crust, and Pastry books for my birthday.

Definitely. I need to do this a couple more times to get the technique and shaping down correctly.

contrapants posted:

How much sugar did you use? I going to try this tonight.

I didn't measure (should have) but I'd say about 1tbs of sugar? The active dry yeast seemed to have sufficient food to get up and running as when I dumped the yeast mixture into the flour, it was all foam and little to no loose water.

96 BELOW THE WAVE
Sep 12, 2011

Keep in mind that after a certain point sugar will act like salt with yeast; it'll actually kill it. You don't need to use sugar to activate dry yeast. For one packet of active dry I'd use 1/3 c. warm water in a small bowl, and cover it for 15 minutes.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

My 3-5 month old sourdough starter used to make lemon & rosemary sourdough bread. :chef:

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Zeithos posted:

What are peoples' experience with fresh yeast (also called cake yeast)? I found a bakery by me that's willing to sell me a couple ounces, and I've been experimenting. The first attempt was an unmitigated disaster due to a lovely conversion chart I found online, but my second go is in its first rise right now and seems to be doing just fine so far.

I've seen a lot of variation in converting from instant, does anyone have a rule-of-thumb they like?

Also, I am majorly crushing on Richard Bertinet, both for his outrageously French accent and his kneading technique.

In Scandinavia, cake yeast is sold in 50g packages, and one is enough for 0.5-1 liter of liquid, or about the equivalent of one satchel of dry yeast.

If you're letting the dough rise in the fridge overnight, use half the amount of fresh yeast.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
So after seeing a thing online linked in post in this forum about 'cronuts' (just google it if you want to read it I guess) a couple weeks ago I decided to make them*

Basically a chef in New York is selling these croissant/donut hybrids for 5 dollars a pop and of course like all other trendy foods people are nuts for them, but I wanted to do it myself. I've never made croissants before, or any laminated dough so I was kinda apprehensive about it but anyways here are some pictures if anyone has a sweet tooth like me (I took pictures of the entire process but things getting mixed and folded are boring so here are just the ones from the end).

Tasty layers

After cutting them

After frying them

After filling, sugaring and glazing them

Crumbshot

*I actually made a laminated brioche dough instead of a true croissant dough. The chef in the article says that he had to try a bunch of recipies before one worked, I can't imagine that a straight croissant would stand up to frying very well, so I went with this, if I ever try it again I'll make them a little lighter and see how it changes. Still, close enough for me.

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot:
Fallen Rib
Those look unbelievable.

RC Bandit
Sep 7, 2012

Hanson: It's Time

Grimey Drawer

Zeithos posted:

What are peoples' experience with fresh yeast (also called cake yeast)? I found a bakery by me that's willing to sell me a couple ounces, and I've been experimenting. The first attempt was an unmitigated disaster due to a lovely conversion chart I found online, but my second go is in its first rise right now and seems to be doing just fine so far.

I've seen a lot of variation in converting from instant, does anyone have a rule-of-thumb they like?

Also, I am majorly crushing on Richard Bertinet, both for his outrageously French accent and his kneading technique.
I get to use 1kg blocks of fresh yeast, then again I bake bread for a living. Have you tried making your bread with bread improver? Maybe that will help the bread.

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.
Welp, I know what I'm making today. Those things look amazing. :swoon: drat my sweet tooth.

Troll Bridgington fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jun 9, 2013

96 BELOW THE WAVE
Sep 12, 2011

Romeo Charlie posted:

I get to use 1kg blocks of fresh yeast, then again I bake bread for a living. Have you tried making your bread with bread improver? Maybe that will help the bread.

When you say bread improver, do you mean something like diastatic malt powder or some such?

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

50% WW sourdough, though my starter still isn't making things sour yet. This is the first time I've managed a crispy crust, at least.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Made burger buns for tonights dinner.

Recipe

They were gorgeous

RC Bandit
Sep 7, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Zeithos posted:

When you say bread improver, do you mean something like diastatic malt powder or some such?
Yeah that's a bread improver. I'm not sure what we use exactly, but it would be a combination of ingredients like Oxidants, Enzymes, Emulsifiers, Food acids, Yeast foods, Soya flour and/or malt flour.

Using a bread improver helps with the gas production and the gas retention.

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

Romeo Charlie posted:

Yeah that's a bread improver. I'm not sure what we use exactly, but it would be a combination of ingredients like Oxidants, Enzymes, Emulsifiers, Food acids, Yeast foods, Soya flour and/or malt flour.

Using a bread improver helps with the gas production and the gas retention.

I'm suddenly interested in what calcium citrate would do to bread... Looks like next week is bread lab time.

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

twoot posted:

Made burger buns for tonights dinner.

Recipe

They were gorgeous

Those are beautiful - what's the consistency like? I've had success making burger buns but it always seems like it's just too much bread in the meal, if you know what I mean. My yeast roll recipes always seems like better candidates, but aren't as pretty/bun like. Are they really light?

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

meatsaw posted:

Those are beautiful - what's the consistency like? I've had success making burger buns but it always seems like it's just too much bread in the meal, if you know what I mean. My yeast roll recipes always seems like better candidates, but aren't as pretty/bun like. Are they really light?

The consistency is like a rich brioche. Very soft and airy but with a good bit of substance to it.

Although if I was to do them again I might portion the recipe into 12 rather than 10. At 10 (~140g dough each) there was quite a lot of bun to get through vs burger.

twoot fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jun 10, 2013

EmperorofLobsters
Jul 18, 2009

Zeithos posted:

Brötchen (hard rolls) : 450F, 20-25 min.

Starter:
2 C. King Arthur bread flour
1 1/3 C. cold tap water
1/2 t. active dry yeast

Mix starter until smooth, cover with a damp cloth, and let rest 8 - 24 hours.

Flour:
~5 (+1/2) C. KA bread flour
1 1/3 C. water (again +/- if needed)
1 t. instant yeast
1 1/2 t. salt

Mix starter (which should be like bubbly pancake batter) with 5 cups flour, water, and yeast. Knead, adding additional flour/water as necessary until dough clears the surface of the bowl. Add salt and knead. Dough should be smooth but tacky.

Place in an oiled bowl, turning to coat, and again cover with a damp towel and let rest until doubled. Turn onto a floured surface, cutting out rolls with a spatula. Coat with flour and place on parchment paper, cover with damp cloth and let rest one hour. Preheat oven to 450F, placing an old metal pan on the lowest rack during this last resting period.

Either leave plain, or sprinkle poppy seeds or other traditional topping on rolls, then slash with a serrated knife to form a cross or other design. Place rolls on the next rack up. Pour a cup of water into the pan that's been preheating, and use a water bottle to spray the sides of the oven 2 - 3 times in the first five minutes. Bake 15 - 20 more minutes, turning the pan if necessary to evenly brown. Cool on wire racks.

So after reading this thread over the course of last night and today, I tried a sort of mix of this recipe and the some of the high hydration stuff, and although I achieved a really nice hard crust, the bread didn't really rise at all after I got it in the oven. I am not sure if I just didn't fold it enough or what -- admittedly I just used the frame of the recipe and then hosed around with it. Did a starter with one cup rye flour and one cup white, and then the next day (~11 hours later), I mixed it with the rest of the dough in my kitchenaid-- did a wetter dough, let it rise for an hour and it doubled and everything, then did some folding, let it rise, and so on. Did that like three times? I cut half the dough into rolls, and folded those and let them rise too, and then popped the other half into a couple loaf pans.

The bread tastes super mild -- I was hoping that part of the reason for doing the starter the night before would be a better flavor, but that didn't really happen. Nice soft crumb though, kinda fluffy.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans

75% hydration sourdough boule. I tweaked the hydration level on Reinhart's original and opted for stretch and folds over kneading. Huge oven spring on this one - I'm quite pleased with it.

EmperorofLobsters posted:

So after reading this thread over the course of last night and today, I tried a sort of mix of this recipe and the some of the high hydration stuff, and although I achieved a really nice hard crust, the bread didn't really rise at all after I got it in the oven. I am not sure if I just didn't fold it enough or what -- admittedly I just used the frame of the recipe and then hosed around with it. Did a starter with one cup rye flour and one cup white, and then the next day (~11 hours later), I mixed it with the rest of the dough in my kitchenaid-- did a wetter dough, let it rise for an hour and it doubled and everything, then did some folding, let it rise, and so on. Did that like three times? I cut half the dough into rolls, and folded those and let them rise too, and then popped the other half into a couple loaf pans.

The #1 reason a lot of bread recipies get messed up is because people alter the recipies without knowing what they're doing. Rye flour has a lot less gluten in it than whole wheat, and has even less gluten than white flour - which means it requires more water and extra work to develop gluten strength. In addition, rye flour creates an enzyme which breaks down gluten development unless you use a more acidic starter (this is while most rye bread recipies utilize sourdough starters for leaven instead of commercial yeast). Too much rye in the wrong recipie can actually shrink the loaf while its baking.

For a beginning baker, I would highly suggest following recipies exactly as they are written - even better if the measurements are in weight and not volume. This way you can see how the dough is supposed to feel for a given hydration level. As you gain more confidence you can start to mess around. The trick is knowing what does what and why.

NightConqueror fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jun 11, 2013

EmperorofLobsters
Jul 18, 2009

NightConqueror posted:

The #1 reason a lot of bread recipies get messed up is because people alter the recipies without knowing what they're doing. Rye flour has a lot less gluten in it than whole wheat, and has even less gluten than white flour - which means it requires more water and extra work to develop gluten strength. In addition, rye flour creates an enzyme which breaks down gluten development unless you use a more acidic starter (this is while most rye bread recipies utilize sourdough starters for leaven instead of commercial yeast). Too much rye in the wrong recipie can actually shrink the loaf while its baking.

For a beginning baker, I would highly suggest following recipies exactly as they are written - even better if the measurements are in weight and not volume. This way you can see how the dough is supposed to feel for a given hydration level. As you gain more confidence you can start to mess around. The trick is knowing what does what and why.

Thanks! That's pretty cool, and I will do so. Maybe try it again following the recipe to see what happens. Hope to post awesome shots in a few days cuz I'm gonna be using the recipe here to do things properly!

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans

EmperorofLobsters posted:

Thanks! That's pretty cool, and I will do so. Maybe try it again following the recipe to see what happens. Hope to post awesome shots in a few days cuz I'm gonna be using the recipe here to do things properly!

Glad to hear it. Making mistakes and not giving up is part of baking :)

96 BELOW THE WAVE
Sep 12, 2011

NightConqueror posted:

Glad to hear it. Making mistakes and not giving up is part of baking :)

Is it loving ever. My friends call it "bread alchemy", because sometimes it really feels like you're throwing every bit of pseudo-science at a lump of flour and water simply willing it to turn into a bread.

Is it humid today? Is it not humid? Did the yeast you used yesterday with no issue suddenly experience colony collapse? Is your oven hot? Too hot? Or not hot enough. Oh, and congratulations, you're now an old German oma, and a draft is the most deadly thing known to man.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib
I made a big bread from this recipe.

For scale, each square of the cooling rack is 1/2 inch. It's a descent white bread. I see bruschetta in its future. :chef:

RC Bandit
Sep 7, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I finally remembered to take a photo of the bread I make everyday.

That there is your average white block loaf. I'll try to remember to take more pictures of the different bread I make. You might be able to see some of the other bread types in the background.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Instead of the usual cake my dad asked for some bread on Fathers' Day instead. So I took the opportunity to try out some baguette and viennoiserie.

Tasted great but the texture needs improvement, probably because I manhandled the dough too much when I was shaping. I also had the baguette mould which held 3 of them pushed a bit too close together. Definitely need more practice.

They are amazing. The crumb was pretty heavy but it was to be expected as I used supermarket plain flour instead of French super-fine stuff (although I'm definitely going to invest in some for next time). The only real problem was the Creme Patissiere recipe I used for the Pain aux raisin wasn't quite thick enough so it was mostly absorbed by the dough during proofing. The two pain au chocolat made from offcuts were the best :swoon:

Frozen around half of them all to have at a later date.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib
The people I live with don't understand how plastic wrap works. Every time I make a loaf of bread, I can only have a slice or two because whoever has some after me doesn't wrap the rest. If they do, they either don't wrap it completely, don't wrap it at all, or wrap it with enough air to fill a hot air balloon.

How does everyone here store their loaves? I feel like I'm missing something obvious.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I have one of this plastic "lock n lid" boxes that's large enough for a loaf of bread and I just put it in there after its cooled. Bread never lasts long enough to go bad around here though.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Save the bags from store bought bread and re-use them is what I do.

I'll have a new phone shortly with a better camera so I'll take some more pictures of the stuff I do at work and throw them in here.

RC Bandit
Sep 7, 2012

Grimey Drawer

contrapants posted:

How does everyone here store their loaves? I feel like I'm missing something obvious.
Well to get the most shelf life out of your bread you should have it wrapped up in a plastic bag with no air in it, stored in a cool dark area. You can store regular white/wholegrain bread in the refrigerator, the taste shouldn't be affected too much if you let the slices come back to room temperature.

Also if you want better shelf life out of your bread you make, add vegetable oil/fats. You only need to add 1% of the flour weight. The effect it will have is that your bread will have a better shelf life plus it will improve the softness and the color of the crumb.

Just a warning if you decide to use more than 1% oil, excessive oil has a retarding effect on yeast so you have to add more yeast to counteract the oil. You won't need to change your yeast percentages if you use 1% oil.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Romeo Charlie posted:

Well to get the most shelf life out of your bread you should have it wrapped up in a plastic bag with no air in it, stored in a cool dark area. You can store regular white/wholegrain bread in the refrigerator, the taste shouldn't be affected too much if you let the slices come back to room temperature.

A refrigerator is the absolute worst place to keep bread.

A wheat bread kept for a day in a refrigerator will seem as old as bread kept two days in a warm place.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Jun 18, 2013

RC Bandit
Sep 7, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Jerry Cotton posted:

A refrigerator is the absolute worst place to keep bread.
My grandmother would disagree with you. She's been keeping her bread in the refrigerator for as long as I've known (20+ years). Never noticed any difference in taste once the slices of bread has come to room temperature.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Romeo Charlie posted:

My grandmother would disagree with you. She's been keeping her bread in the refrigerator for as long as I've known (20+ years). Never noticed any difference in taste once the slices of bread has come to room temperature.

Every grandmother on this planet disagrees with me. They are all very, very wrong. Also, I guess you're just used to stale bread.

(Note that it's not just my opinion, what with having had a grandmother who kept bread in a fridge and a mother who didn't, there's also research on this.)

e: Tried to look for an English-language source on-line but so far came up with just a wiki (and it seems to get it wrong a bit, moisture being drawn out is not what retrogradation is about... or maybe it is, gently caress me I'm not a chemicist)

quote:

Don't put bread in the refrigerator. Scientific studies have shown that this draws out the moisture and the bread becomes stale faster. This happens from a process known as "retrogradation", which simply means that the starch molecules crystallize.

I have a few magazines around with articles on this but I'm not going to look for them now.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jun 18, 2013

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Jerry Cotton posted:

there's research on this.
Yeah. One of the primary causes of staling in bread is the crystalisation of starches, which occurs faster at lower temperatures. Storing bread in the fridge speeds this process. It can be partially reversed by gentle reheating, so if you're always e.g. storing white bread and then toasting it before eating you might not notice the increased staling as much. Commercially mass-produced breads may also contain emulsifiers that somewhat retard staling, so that may be a factor as well.

You can generally freeze breads without resulting in staling if your icebox chills the bread rapidly; you don't want bread hovering just over freezing, because that's where it'll stale most rapidly but once it's below freezing it's stable, mod general caveats about long-term freezer storage of anything.

McGee covers this in some detail in On Food and Cooking, if you want a standard reference on the subject.

RC Bandit
Sep 7, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Jerry Cotton posted:

Every grandmother on this planet disagrees with me. They are all very, very wrong. Also, I guess you're just used to stale bread.
That's true. As long as the bread doesn't have mold on it, it's good to eat.

Mastodon Henley
Aug 12, 2003

So... how's your girl?
Thanks for the motivation, bread threads! I've been crunched for time lately so it's been almost all no-knead dough, and I've been really happy with the results. Rounds, torpedoes, and smallish pizza crusts have been a breeze with it.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib
I made rustic Italian bread! I made it as two smaller loaves. My hope is that by wrapping one for later, it won't become stale.

I'm really happy with the way they came out.

Bern
Jul 1, 2009
Using the recipe from Smitten Kitchen, I tried to make some challah bread.

My first attempt came out wonderfully and tasted great, too.

RC Bandit
Sep 7, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Very nice. Did you happen to use the Munich Six Strand Plait technique for that bread?

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

I swear I wrote something funny here.
Sorry, this is back from page three.

The Doctor posted:

It's extremely simple!

For two biggish loaves:

2 1/2 cups warm water
2 tbsps sugar
1 tbsp dry active yeast
2 eggs (size doesn't much matter, I opt for bigger)
2 tbsps oil
1 tsp salt
8 cups whole wheat flour (I'm sure white works just as well)

Dissolve the sugar into the water, add the yeast and proof for like ten minutes or something, it will start to bubble. Add your eggs, oil, and salt to the yeast mixture, incorporate fully. To this, add four cups of your flour, slowly creating a batter, scraping the mix down off the sides of the bowl (I start out using a fork) until you have a kind of lumpy paste. You can let this hang out for a half an hour or so or you can immediately start adding the rest of the flour bit by bit.

Once it starts getting firmer you can switch to mixing with your hands or a flat spoon or something. Once all the flour is in the bowl it's usually kind of a pain to keep incorporating it all so I dump the whole thing (loose flour and all) onto the counter and start pressing the flour into it. It tends to be a little wet so I add a little flour here and there but really it's ok if it's a little sticky, as long as it's a dough as opposed to a batter. Then I basically just knead for a few minutes until it's nommed all the loose flour and is a little more elastic.

At this point I toss it on top of a disposable plastic grocery bag on the counter and lay another bag on top of it without attempting to wrap it. Leave for an hour or an hour and a half, come back (it should be huge), punch it down, knead it, then shape it however you like, I separate into two loaves so it's not held down by it's own weight (is this a thing? it feels like a thing), add to a well greased pan or greased surface and let it rise for another hour, then pre-heat the oven to 350 and once it's heated, toss it in for 35 minutes (not less!). It's important for the oven to be fully heated because it tends not to rise as much on the second go but it will explode again once it gets into the hot oven.

Hope this helps!

I tried making this last week and it didn't turn out all that good. I had high hopes because it got such rave reviews in this thread. I'm not sure what I did wrong but my loaves turned out pretty hard and not airy and light at all. It made okay(ish) sandwich bread but I ended up tossing a full loaf.

Anyway, I didn't let it hang out for half an hour after adding the first four cups of flour but I did let it rise for nearly an hour and a half. By the time I punched it down it didn't seem as large as I expected either. Did I not give the yeast enough time to multiply? The only other thing I can think is that maybe I over kneaded it. Is that something that would make my bread turn out hard?

I want to try to make this again this evening so any advice would be appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
If it was dense and didn't rise very much, give it more time to rise.