Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk
Just to add my own 2c on the 70-462 I took on Friday: I was surprised at how few questions drilled into syntax. With things like Server Core installs, WSFC and FCI setups, AGs, Full Text Search (setup and use), and all the other huge topics on the table, I was concerned about the volume of syntax you'd need to commit to memory in order to manage all of those things but in the end there were only a couple questions that asked for precise syntax. I was also surprised at how many times Replication (in all of its flavors) came up; that was something I didn't even put on my study list since there are no significant changes to it in 2012 and I've worked with it a fair bit since 2005. Overall I liked that there were a lot of questions like "which tool/config would be best to solve this need" but there were a few where that wasn't enough context given to decide confidently and/or none of the options quite fit the bill. So if you're agonizing over an answer just mark it, move on, and don't get rattled over an unfair question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

DropsySufferer posted:

I'm looking at starting on the VCP5-DCV cert from vmware as I'm told that would easier than a citrix certification. Just how difficult are vmware certs? Apart from the cost which I'll figure out how to deal with. Are they equal or harder than Cisco's? Less math I'm told which is a huge bonus for me but asking here.

Have I got great news for you then. It appears that there is a community college in North Carolina - Stanly Community College, to be precise - that is offering the VMware vSphere 5: Install, Configure, Manage course for $250 (cost of class + books + shipping). The course is online over a period of 8 weeks and you can go at your own pace, and from the forums I've been visiting a lot of people are very satisfied with the quality of the instruction, but even more thrilled with the price. On top of all that, at the end of the course you get a 70% off coupon for the exam, so your total out-of-pocket costs will be less than 10% of what everyone else is paying just for the class.

Next session starts in August, so you have a month or so before sign-ups.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Derp I can't read

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jun 17, 2013

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Corvettefisher posted:

Wow that's not bad ours is $600 Does that include a voucher for the test?

He mentioned that it includes a 70% off coupon.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

keseph posted:

Just to add my own 2c on the 70-462 I took on Friday: I was surprised at how few questions drilled into syntax. With things like Server Core installs, WSFC and FCI setups, AGs, Full Text Search (setup and use), and all the other huge topics on the table, I was concerned about the volume of syntax you'd need to commit to memory in order to manage all of those things but in the end there were only a couple questions that asked for precise syntax. I was also surprised at how many times Replication (in all of its flavors) came up; that was something I didn't even put on my study list since there are no significant changes to it in 2012 and I've worked with it a fair bit since 2005. Overall I liked that there were a lot of questions like "which tool/config would be best to solve this need" but there were a few where that wasn't enough context given to decide confidently and/or none of the options quite fit the bill. So if you're agonizing over an answer just mark it, move on, and don't get rattled over an unfair question.

I just did 70-410 (rest of the MCSA 2012 to come, hope they all go as well) and my impression was similar. The main irritating ones are when the question is "which of the following is the best tool for the job?" and then they don't include the best option. So you have to know the second best option, but it's likely that the second best option has a specific quirk that means you can't use it in the given scenario. In other words, it's not enough to know a tool for every task, you ideally need to know 2 or 3 even though there's only 1 that you'll ever use without going through Google.

XakEp
Dec 20, 2002
Amor est vitae essentia

XakEp posted:

Finished the OSCP exam after 13 hours. I managed to get root on 4 servers and got a shell on the last server but decided that since I already had 75 points I would rather get to bed than spend the rest of the 24 hour exam dinking with a server for points I didnt need to pass. Turned in the report (64 pages ugh) and now I just wait for the results back.

Fingers crossed!

Got the email, confirmed the pass. Officially OSCP, now to CCIE R&S written.

Tasty Wheat
Jul 18, 2012

XakEp posted:

I have played with Backtrack on and off for years now, its always been interesting to me. What did you think of the training?

XakEp
Dec 20, 2002
Amor est vitae essentia

Tasty Wheat posted:

I have played with Backtrack on and off for years now, its always been interesting to me. What did you think of the training?

It was pretty intense. The focus is balanced between the tools and the technologies behind why they work. If you aren't well versed in pentesting it'll be really intense.

Personally it was a very good experience. I intend to do OSCE when I can.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Have I got great news for you then. It appears that there is a community college in North Carolina - Stanly Community College, to be precise - that is offering the VMware vSphere 5: Install, Configure, Manage course for $250 (cost of class + books + shipping). The course is online over a period of 8 weeks and you can go at your own pace, and from the forums I've been visiting a lot of people are very satisfied with the quality of the instruction, but even more thrilled with the price. On top of all that, at the end of the course you get a 70% off coupon for the exam, so your total out-of-pocket costs will be less than 10% of what everyone else is paying just for the class.

Does this allow you to take the VCP exam though? I know that you have to take the course through an authorized organization.

Wow it does. Why the hell would anyone pay 3k to do it if this exists?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

demonachizer posted:

Does this allow you to take the VCP exam though? I know that you have to take the course through an authorized organization.

Wow it does. Why the hell would anyone pay 3k to do it if this exists?

Ones 3 days the other is 8 weeks, some people such as vendors will need to get X in order to sell Y. Or people just don't know about the VMware Academic Alliance.

also cool my school is still the only one that does the VCAP and VCP

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Wow!! This is amazing. If I can get my healthcare it banged out soonish, I am going to do this.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Vintimus Prime posted:

Wow!! This is amazing. If I can get my healthcare it banged out soonish, I am going to do this.
Back off it son. If their website comes back up (I get an error when attempting to register from multiple PCs and browsers), I am signing up for this. You're all free to sign up AFTER I have done so. Harumph.

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009

Corvettefisher posted:

Ones 3 days the other is 8 weeks, some people such as vendors will need to get X in order to sell Y. Or people just don't know about the VMware Academic Alliance.

If you know of any others on that list that are about the same price as SCC I'd love to hear about them.

People found out about SCC back in April so there's a very long waiting list. If you sign up don't be surprised if you get in next spring.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

hackedaccount posted:

If you know of any others on that list that are about the same price as SCC I'd love to hear about them.

People found out about SCC back in April so there's a very long waiting list. If you sign up don't be surprised if you get in next spring.

There is a waiting list you can get on? i.e. It isn't first come first serve when enrollment opens?

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

Daylen Drazzi posted:

That's very useful indeed, thanks for the tip! I read that's it's 3 grand to get a VMware cert without going through a college.

Tasty Wheat
Jul 18, 2012

XakEp posted:

It was pretty intense. The focus is balanced between the tools and the technologies behind why they work. If you aren't well versed in pentesting it'll be really intense.

Personally it was a very good experience. I intend to do OSCE when I can.

I guess it would be intense for me, last time I used Backtrack for a practical application is was called Auditor, and I used it to confirm that I had a rouge DHCP server on a wireless network of mine.

XakEp
Dec 20, 2002
Amor est vitae essentia

Tasty Wheat posted:

I guess it would be intense for me, last time I used Backtrack for a practical application is was called Auditor, and I used it to confirm that I had a rouge DHCP server on a wireless network of mine.

You should download Kali and familiarize yiurself. I didnt know much about programming but I got through the class. Be sure to get enough lab time and put in the time and you'll be ok.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
Is there an official study guide for the CCNA Wireless 640-722? I know it's a fairly new exam, but I read that Cisco isn't obligated to write study material for it.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue
Has anyone purchased a voucher for RedHat Exams recently? The vouchers where you can select a site for the self-test kiosk (http://www.redhat.com/training/certifications/exam-kiosk/?sc_cid=701600000006UGUAA2)?

They have kiosks in STL and ATL, both places work sends me to occasionally, so I'd like to pay for the exam, but I am not sure how long it is valid for and RedHat hasn't responded to me yet.

Ideally I'd like to have the exam voucher code ready when work goes "hey you need to be in STL on X dates" and I can schedule it via the RedHat site.

AtmaHorizon
Apr 3, 2012

VR Cowboy posted:

Is there an official study guide for the CCNA Wireless 640-722? I know it's a fairly new exam, but I read that Cisco isn't obligated to write study material for it.

http://www.ciscopress.com/store/browse.asp?st=98137

Sorry, disregard that. Missed 640-722

Tasty Wheat
Jul 18, 2012

VR Cowboy posted:

There
The CCNP only has quick study notes, it's a pain, in the middle of it right now.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I hate Cisco's wireless solutions. They're overpriced, clunky, and generally bad. So of course it's all we use because management likes the branding.

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009

routenull0 posted:

Has anyone purchased a voucher for RedHat Exams recently? The vouchers where you can select a site for the self-test kiosk (http://www.redhat.com/training/certifications/exam-kiosk/?sc_cid=701600000006UGUAA2)?

They have kiosks in STL and ATL, both places work sends me to occasionally, so I'd like to pay for the exam, but I am not sure how long it is valid for and RedHat hasn't responded to me yet.

Ideally I'd like to have the exam voucher code ready when work goes "hey you need to be in STL on X dates" and I can schedule it via the RedHat site.

One year. The link to their FAQ is in a weird location and is also a bit out of date: https://www.redhat.com/resourcelibrary/articles/individual-exam-sessions-faq

Tasty Wheat
Jul 18, 2012

psydude posted:

I hate Cisco's wireless solutions. They're overpriced, clunky, and generally bad. So of course it's all we use because management likes the branding.

I like Cisco, but then I really have not used their wireless products since the 1410 stopped being manufactured, and it was always better than the Motorola stuff I had to use for years and years.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

psydude posted:

We have been rolling out Meraki for our wireless and it has been painless. Who knows what Cisco will do with them though.

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?

XakEp posted:

Belated congratulations on this; the offensive security certs are no joke. Did you do any other security stuff prior to the OSCP such as the GPEN? My problem with a lot of the high end security stuff like pen testing, or forensics, or malware analysis is that it requires extensive host level knowledge. I've been in R/S for so long I have no idea how that world works. I'd be interested to know how you are maintaining expertise in such divergent fields.

XakEp
Dec 20, 2002
Amor est vitae essentia

inignot posted:

Belated congratulations on this; the offensive security certs are no joke. Did you do any other security stuff prior to the OSCP such as the GPEN? My problem with a lot of the high end security stuff like pen testing, or forensics, or malware analysis is that it requires extensive host level knowledge. I've been in R/S for so long I have no idea how that world works. I'd be interested to know how you are maintaining expertise in such divergent fields.

Well, I started in IT 18 years ago, and have been doing Sysadmin and networking for quite a while. I'm fortunate (maybe) that I'm able to draw from my experience, which really helped me a lot. I'm not a programmer, but I have a really good understanding of how Windows functions, and I'm getting pretty decent at picking apart Linux. Its unfortunate that I can't talk about what I encountered on the exam, because the test is really, really well put together.

I'm working on maintaining my skills at this by building VMs on my systems at home and going at them in my spare time. Not just metasploitable but other builds, and finding vulnerable applications based off the exploits I can find off exploit-db.com. Right now I'm definitely looking for a job doing this full time, so we'll see how that goes. I'm pretty happy where I am, but it's not pentesting. :(

If you have any questions about the class, I'll be happy to answer them.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

This should maybe go into the InfoSec thread but no one really posts there any more. SANS put out a fantastic resource infographic for PenTesting and and their associated courses/certs.

http://pen-testing.sans.org/blog/pen-testing/2013/06/20/announcing-the-ultimate-sans-pen-test-poster

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

This is off topic, but can someone explain to me why everyone wants to be a pentester?

You couldn't pay me enough to do it, but some folks around here act like it's the most awesome job ever. This isn't directed at you XakEp, as you've been in the industry for a long time and know how it works, but mostly the young guys who have never worked real IT and think IT Security and Pen Testing is the holy grail of cool poo poo to do. I blame Hollywood and the movies for this.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
What kind of "performance" questions will I be looking at for the A+ ?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

skipdogg posted:

This is off topic, but can someone explain to me why everyone wants to be a pentester?

You couldn't pay me enough to do it, but some folks around here act like it's the most awesome job ever. This isn't directed at you XakEp, as you've been in the industry for a long time and know how it works, but mostly the young guys who have never worked real IT and think IT Security and Pen Testing is the holy grail of cool poo poo to do. I blame Hollywood and the movies for this.

IT security sucks for two reasons:

1) Nobody knows what you do until you inevitably get attacked and a part of it gets through due to a zero day exploit (in Java) or an end user getting phished. Then it's all your fault.

2) Your job title probably has the word "Cyber" in it somewhere.

psydude fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jun 20, 2013

Tasty Wheat
Jul 18, 2012

psydude posted:

IT security sucks for two reasons:

1) Nobody knows what you do until you inevitably get attacked and a part of it gets through due to a zero day exploit (in Java) or an end user getting phished. Then it's all your fault.

2) Your job title probably has the word "Cyber" in it somewhere.

I thought that was networking, no matter how much redundancy you build, some tard with "insert tool name here" can always take the network down hard, and it's still your fault.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Tasty Wheat posted:

I thought that was networking, no matter how much redundancy you build, some tard with "insert tool name here" can always take the network down hard, and it's still your fault.

Actually now that you mention it, the security guys are always the ones pointing fingers. It's always the network engineers' faults. :smith:

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

psydude posted:

Actually now that you mention it, the security guys are always the ones pointing fingers. It's always the network engineers' faults. :smith:
IT Security are basically the hall monitors of our organization.

"Please disable directory indexing on your public facing web server"
"For the love of god retire your lovely Windows 2000 app server already"
"Stop running in the hallways"

etc...

XakEp
Dec 20, 2002
Amor est vitae essentia

skipdogg posted:

I dont think I would trust anyone that does pentesting and doesn't have a lot of experience in another discipline of IT. An effective pentester is one who really does understand how different devices function, how complex systems are built and how they can be compromised. Kids just like to break things, so maybe there's that.

I dunno. I've always liked getting around the rules, and having pentesting skills at the least has really helped me in my current job, since being able to explain why and show developers and management how I would take advantage of proposed shortcuts in product deployments or changes to the network.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

psydude posted:

Your department is kind to their support staff then. It should properly always be helpdesks fault. Development blames engineering, management blames engineering, engineering's proper response is "The helpdesk did not log a ticket on the issue and elevate. Network Modifications can not be put in place without documented descriptions of user and application issues. Helpdesks primary job function is to document and elevate production problems."

ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006
Perhaps you guys could suggest a certification for my team members.

Our company produces medical products and we are just starting to tie everything in with hospital's wifi networks. Our vision is to develop different levels of field engineers, some who are the standard screwdriver turners and others who can also interact with hospital IT and know what they are talking about. These same field engineers or solution specialists would sit in on meetings from the start with the sales reps and stay until the our products are integrated. Then act as tier 1 support.

I'm thinking they need something like a network+ cert and maybe something with Secure Bluetooth networks.

Haydez
Apr 8, 2003

EVIL LINK
642-637 (CCNP Security SECURE) in the books today. Yay.

Getting through the cisco press book was harder than the actual exam was. I watched the CBT Nuggets (which were boring) and finally got an all access pass to INE and watched their videos which were a bit better suited to me.

Happy to have that one down. On to FIREWALL. At least the material looks a bit better for me.

Tasty Wheat
Jul 18, 2012

ShadowStalker posted:

Perhaps you guys could suggest a certification for my team members.

Our company produces medical products and we are just starting to tie everything in with hospital's wifi networks. Our vision is to develop different levels of field engineers, some who are the standard screwdriver turners and others who can also interact with hospital IT and know what they are talking about. These same field engineers or solution specialists would sit in on meetings from the start with the sales reps and stay until the our products are integrated. Then act as tier 1 support.

I'm thinking they need something like a network+ cert and maybe something with Secure Bluetooth networks.

My two cents, if you're talking about wireless network theory that is platform independent then the Certified Wireless Network Administrator might be something to look at. I got more out of the CWNA/CWSP then the CCNA/CCNP Wireless materials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crunchtime
Dec 16, 2005

I like to move it move it!
I go up for MTA: 98-366 tomorrow. Any last minute tips??