Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
Side note: When I saw the driver of the truck at the start, for a second my heart leapt as I thought it was Manic Eightball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

a cock shaped fruit posted:

The show's title, 'Venture Brothers' has always referred to Rusty and the Monarch. Dun dun duuuun.*

*Edit: This is what conspiracy theorists actually believe.

It was really great when they did the the intro of the first episode of the second season like it was going to be a show about JJ and Doc from then on. And didn't Jonas also say "We're the Venture Brothers!" like three times in the beginning?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

And dermott is one too, all kinds of Venture Brothers!

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

We need animated GIF of Billy obsessively toying with that toilet paper roll when these things pop up in this thread.

Here you go, thank god for Gifcam

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The other dudes going along with SPHINX COMMANDER :byodood: was both hilarious and horrifying, considering if they didn't go along with him their brains would automatically flood with cyanide :stare:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The real question to be asking is: does Rusty know that he used to know the Monarch?

It's his picture in his photo album, after all.

He doesn't, or he wouldn't have treated him like a stranger in college. But STILL!

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
I am seriously debating a SPHINX COMMANDER! avatar.

edit: Any .gif wizards out there willing to help a guy out?

Ensign_Ricky fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jun 18, 2013

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Please use:

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn
or something...

as your custom text.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

The real question to be asking is: does Rusty know that he used to know the Monarch?

It's his picture in his photo album, after all.

He doesn't, or he wouldn't have treated him like a stranger in college. But STILL!

I couldn't spot half my friends from Kindergarten in a line-up. Childhood friendships are malleable that way.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Is it ever addressed in the later seasons if Rusty still takes his "diet pills?"

myname_isdoug
Jul 9, 2003

i can and i can not

thrakkorzog posted:

I couldn't spot half my friends from Kindergarten in a line-up. Childhood friendships are malleable that way.

I couldn't spot MYSELF in a Kindergarten lineup, if someone I used to know on facebook hadn't tagged me, I'd still be wondering whose class that was.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN posted:

The brother/half-brother theory seems too obvious. Look at every other mystery that they've revealed: that bodyguard broke the Orb instead of killing Doc's grandfather, Brock's supposed son turns out to be the result of Doc banging the teenage president of his fan club, Hank didn't get his high school diploma because the printer jammed, Billy lost his hand in a dog fight (and not in a time machine that sent it to the future)... saying that Tad Venture and the Monarch are siblings seems lazy by Venture Bros standards.
I already find it lazy that they've made the Monarch and Rusty connected from before college, opening the floodgates for a cliché 'he did something to me when we were kids' reason for the Monarch's hatred of Rusty. They may be siblings, cousins, former playmates, it's all the same thing : they knew each other before college, and they actually might have been friends back then!

Granted, that will most likely not happen, but still : LAZY!

LividLiquid posted:

Then the real question should be : why doesn't he remember? Is it just Rusty being Rusty? Or does he not remember for the same reason that the Monarch doesn't remember? I wonder if it could put a new angle on the whole Victor thing, because it's now two of his male childhood friends that Rusty has no recollection of.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

X_Toad posted:

No need for a twist, the Monarch 'confessed' to killing 24 in the Shallow Gravy special, when he gloated that he was the one who broke up the band.

No he didn't. Not to mention there is no way he could have done it. Dr. Mrs. Girlfriend left the detonator on her throne and ran outside. The monarch had that ridiculously huge, heavy suit on that was malfunctioning and spitting him around like a deflating balloon when the explosion went off. They might have gotten him settled by that point but regardless, he was nowhere near the detonator to trigger it.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

a cock shaped fruit posted:

Side note: When I saw the driver of the truck at the start, for a second my heart leapt as I thought it was Manic Eightball.

I thought this exact same thing until I put it together the 2nd time that it was a drat division symbol on their faces, for long division, the math thing. :downs:

KilGrey posted:

No he didn't. Not to mention there is no way he could have done it. Dr. Mrs. Girlfriend left the detonator on her throne and ran outside. The monarch had that ridiculously huge, heavy suit on that was malfunctioning and spitting him around like a deflating balloon when the explosion went off. They might have gotten him settled by that point but regardless, he was nowhere near the detonator to trigger it.

At that point he was on the ground covered in vomit wasn't he? I thought the scene was Brock saying "Hey Monarch, I'm taking your fuckin car" and the Monarch weakly responding "Kay" then the explosion. It doesn't help that he could really move his hands in the suit.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Dynamite Dog posted:

I thought this exact same thing until I put it together the 2nd time that it was a drat division symbol on their faces, for long division, the math thing. :downs:

Which reminds me, I love how casually everybody treats the fact that 21 Viceroy Sphinx Commander Gary killed an eight year old boy. A murderous one, sure, but still!

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Ensign_Ricky posted:

edit: Any .gif wizards out there willing to help a guy out?

If you want something from another scene feel free to ask, just thought this was the most Sphinx Commander-y.

myname_isdoug
Jul 9, 2003

i can and i can not

Jerusalem posted:

Which reminds me, I love how casually everybody treats the fact that 21 Viceroy Sphinx Commander Gary killed an eight year old boy. A murderous one, sure, but still!

Well, it's not like he was aiming at the kid...

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

The kid was an A hole.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

How about this?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

KilGrey posted:

Oh sure he didn't do it, but he gloated to the contrary, and again, he's the one who installed the bomb and fully intended to use it. For all we know, nobody detonated the bomb with the intention of killing 24. Maybe the Moppets detonated it after a while on his order. Maybe the bomb malfunctioned.

Yeah, to be fair, the idea that 24 was deliberately murdered always seemed weird to me. The primary targets of the thing were HELPeR and Doctor Venture after all.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

X_Toad posted:

Then the real question should be : why doesn't he remember? Is it just Rusty being Rusty? Or does he not remember for the same reason that the Monarch doesn't remember? I wonder if it could put a new angle on the whole Victor thing, because it's now two of his male childhood friends that Rusty has no recollection of.
Perhaps he really didn't know the Monarch in college. Jonas was still alive then, right? And presumably keeping the wool over Rusty's eyes.

That Rusty had that photo in his album indicates that at some point after his father's death he discovered the truth. As an adult he's always had a blasé, begrudging acceptance of the Monarch's arching.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I didn't see it posted in here but I'm pretty sure the fat sphinx guy was supposed to be a knock off jake "the snake" roberts.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Kingtheninja posted:

I didn't see it posted in here but I'm pretty sure the fat sphinx guy was supposed to be a knock off jake "the snake" roberts.

But why did he have burns/leprosy and a metal hand?

And have fire guns? Reference to Firefly?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

LP97S posted:

Here you go, thank god for Gifcam

Thanks. This will come in use when the really insane fan theories start leaking into whatever,

Jerusalem posted:

The other dudes going along with SPHINX COMMANDER :byodood: was both hilarious and horrifying, considering if they didn't go along with him their brains would automatically flood with cyanide :stare:

The most depressing part? those microchips are gonna go off no matter what (experimental eighties tech!) and unless the OSI cares/has the equipment to extract them those bums are gonna die horribly off screen in a OSI gulag somewhere.

Gary shouldn't really go back to being a Henchman.

Murphys Stache
Oct 5, 2007

There goes my nipples again!

Red posted:

But why did he have burns/leprosy and a metal hand?

And have fire guns? Reference to Firefly?

Because he's the fire guy. You play with fire, you gonna get burned. :flame:

Also I thought Cobra had a fire guy in the old cartoons. It's been way too long since I've seen an episode though.

Murphys Stache fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jun 18, 2013

Internet Alias
Dec 5, 2005
Mirrors are more fun than television.
I figured he was an analogue of Zartan or one of these guys http://gijoe.wikia.com/wiki/Dreadnok

edit: Or possibly one of those twin guys whose name I can't remember.

Internet Alias fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jun 18, 2013

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Arven posted:

The wording used definitely is meant to imply that they are brothers. "There I am playing with Doctor Venture" is supposed to initially make you think he means Dr Jonas Venture, but doesn't make sense and clearly means Rusty. He says his parents are in the background, but never actually mentions Jonas.

Now that said there is no way that is the case. I think it's pretty much impossible that the Monarch wouldn't know who Jonas Venture was, given that there is a huge rear end statue of him in front of the compound he attacks every day (among other things).

Clever way to get us theorycrafting though.

I foresee this gif getting a lot of use.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.
I had assumed the guy with the robot gauntlet was a reference to Iron-Hand Hauptmann, a semi-retired Marvel villain from WWII.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Maybe the Iron Hand was the ROHBOHT HEARRRHT! of the eighties?

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Internet Alias posted:

I figured he was an analogue of Zartan or one of these guys http://gijoe.wikia.com/wiki/Dreadnok

edit: Or possibly one of those twin guys whose name I can't remember.

Tomax and Xamot

(You really only have to remember the name of one of them) :v:

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I foresee this gif getting a lot of use.

52 = COUNTRY = US & G...

....the last line is hard to make out... in order:

E or F
O or 0
D (not B, the other angle gives it away)
I or L
E or F

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Kingtheninja posted:

This has to be half right. It looks just like Jake 'the snake' roberts.
This is Jake in 2013

And OG Snake.

I wish I knew what cobra baddie had a metal hand.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

deong posted:

This has to be half right. It looks just like Jake 'the snake' roberts.
This is Jake in 2013

And OG Snake.

I wish I knew what cobra baddie had a metal hand.

Well, that's Major Bludd.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
jesus christ you spergs

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/pastiche

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

tacyak posted:

Because he's the fire guy. You play with fire, you gonna get burned. :flame:

Also I thought Cobra had a fire guy in the old cartoons. It's been way too long since I've seen an episode though.

This reminds me that this is actually one of my favorite Venture moments:

Guess what, chicken butt fellas!

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

ultramiraculous posted:

This reminds me that this is actually one of my favorite Venture moments:

Guess what, chicken butt fellas!

Which episode is that from?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

LeJackal posted:

Which episode is that from?

Bright Lights, Dean City I believe.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

axleblaze posted:

Bright Lights, Dean City I believe.

Yup.

Thanks to this little dynamo, Impossible Industries is 100% green!

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
Why are you giving us a link to the definition of pastiche while calling people 'spergs'? I'm not getting it. And what's with people mentioning that loving vegetable again and again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reset Smith
Apr 6, 2009

ultramiraculous posted:

Yup.

Thanks to this little dynamo, Impossible Industries is 100% green!

And you didn't think you had it in you to be evil.