Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

p.crestmont posted:

Darkstar is the OUYA.

Quentyn is the OUYA. Irrelevant to the main plot, delusions of grandeur and doomed to fail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

The Rat posted:

I didn't like Less Than Zero either. It seemed pointless, like Catcher in the Rye with cocaine involved.

I liked Less Than Zero, could never finish Catcher in the Rye.

American Psycho is a great read if you can stomach it. I really liked Glamorama, too. I need to reread it, it's been about 10 years since I first read it. Ellis' last two novels were meh. Imperial Bedrooms felt a bit tired and the ending was just out of left field.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Glamorama is far, far bloodier and messed up than American Psycho. It's spectacular.

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

FrozenVent posted:

Quentyn is the OUYA. Irrelevant to the main plot, delusions of grandeur and doomed to fail.

That is a better match. The only difference is I enjoy reading about the OUYA failing.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
It's time to create the hiatus thread!

WILD CARDS, this is your chance!

...so long as you follow Aatrek's rules:

Aatrek posted:

IN THIS AND ALL FUTURE EPISODE/NON-SPOILER THREADS, YOU ALL MUST ACT AS IF THE CONTENTS OF THE BOOKS DO NOT EXIST.

And because some of you are just being idiots about things:

YOU MAY USE THE WORD 'BOOK'.
YOU MAY USE THE TITLES OF THE BOOKS.
YOU MAY SAY 'SEASON 3 COVERS BOOKS X-Z'.

Now, somebody can make a hiatus thread with this in nice bold letters of the OP, and then everybody will play by the rules going forward.

Or else.

whowhatwhere fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jun 17, 2013

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.
Aatrek, fighting a losing battle against decade+ old spoilers for whiny internet babies :patriot:
God help him.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
I want to make the hiatus thread and list nothing but false spoilers. Total mild card.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

If only there was a way to make the hiatus thread link to the Good Thread, where people actually discuss the story and have reasonable spoiler policies. :magical:

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
Because people who post in TVIV are all legally retarded.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

LoG posted:

No I'm doesn't!

Sexgun Rasputin
May 5, 2013

by Ralp

(and can't post for 688 days!)

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

I read American Psycho and it was pretty much that Scrotie McBoogerballs episode of South Park only less good.

That's the perfect way to describe it. I put that poo poo in the garbage can about 3/4 of the way through.

LoG posted:

I like how TVIV is a kinder, gentler side of SA where you're allowed to make insipid and fucktarded comments without fear of reprisal as long as you don't startle the herd too much. I'm really out of my element here posting in the best thread on SA (if best = most consistently comedic thread on what is ostensibly a comedy forum), the low pressure posting environment of TVIV really suits my needs better.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Not My Goodies posted:

I'm really out of my element here posting in the best thread on SA (if best = most consistently comedic thread on what is ostensibly a comedy forum)

Oh please, the thread allows me to post here.

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

If only there was a way to make the hiatus thread link to the Good Thread, where people actually discuss the story and have reasonable spoiler policies. :magical:

You mean the third TVIV GoT thread that was closed for not being terrible enough?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Kanye West posted:

I am a proud non-reader of books

The TVIV thread has found it's champion.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Rannos22 posted:

You mean the third TVIV GoT thread that was closed for not being terrible enough?

No, there was a Book Barn readalong. I never really bothered with it, but I recall it allowed spoiler discussion so long as everything was properly tagged. You know, like mature adults should be capable of, instead of flailing and screaming like a crackbaby jonesing.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

No, there was a Book Barn readalong. I never really bothered with it, but I recall it allowed spoiler discussion so long as everything was properly tagged. You know, like mature adults should be capable of, instead of flailing and screaming like a crackbaby jonesing.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3305853 It's still going, more general book chat then read along nowadays. It's not the most active thread, but that's probably one of the reasons it hasn't turned bad.

stawk Archer
Jun 19, 2004

by angerbot

Rannos22 posted:

Aatrek, fighting a losing battle against decade+ old spoilers for whiny internet babies :patriot:
God help him.

He's as deliberately obtuse as the rest of them, spelling character names wrong and talking about "quality television" or some other crap that no one really says in real life. TVIV is, ironically, much like the books themselves in that regard.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.

LoG posted:

I used to disagree with this because I like TVIV for many things but all GoT fans are already The Worst and when you put them in that forum it does something unholy to all involved.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Look, it was either do that or shut the show thread down completely.

You think I wanted to post that? We've been getting completely overwhelmed with people reporting posters for everything from the mildest suggestion of things to come to assholes buying dozens of posters incredibly spoiler-filled custom titles two hours before the "Red Wedding" episode. If it were up to me, I'd burn the whole thing to the ground and just say gently caress it all, but that's not an option.

stawk Archer posted:

He's as deliberately obtuse as the rest of them, spelling character names wrong and talking about "quality television" or some other crap that no one really says in real life.

I was being "deliberately obtuse"? What the gently caress are you talking about? I posted a few mild questions about things I had a bit of trouble following after staying out of the threads all goddamned season. It's not like I've ever watched the episodes more than once, I haven't read the books - there's a lot to keep track of when I don't even think about the show for eight months at a time.

(Also, God help me if I ever use the phrase "quality television" in a sentence other than this one.)

Aatrek fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jun 18, 2013

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Aatrek posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about?

They seem to be pointing out that TVIV just can't keep up with the high level of posting quality we see here, in this, the best of threads.

All of our amazing insights and definitive fan fiction have outshone the meager lackwits of the thread that, like Emperor Jovian would have us burn the Library of Antioch that is the American Tolkien's legacy.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Aatrek posted:

You think I wanted to post that? We've been getting completely overwhelmed with people reporting posters for everything from the mildest suggestion of things to come to assholes buying dozens of posters incredibly spoiler-filled custom titles two hours before the "Red Wedding" episode. If it were up to me, I'd burn the whole thing to the ground and just say gently caress it all, but that's not an option.

I was being "deliberately obtuse"? What the gently caress are you talking about? I posted a few mild questions about things I had a bit of trouble following after staying out of the threads all goddamned season. It's not like I've ever watched the episodes more than once, I haven't read the books - there's a lot to keep track of when I don't even think about the show for eight months at a time.

By this point I've got to side with Aatrek. With the AV spoilers being bought, the proclivity for some people to 'speculate' actual plot points, and the tendency for some TVIV posters to hilariously overreact, I can only imagine the Game of Thrones thread being more work to moderate then the entire TVIV forum.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jun 18, 2013

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
You are pretty cool in my book Aatrek, the Florian to my Jonquil.

Sexgun Rasputin
May 5, 2013

by Ralp

(and can't post for 688 days!)

pentyne posted:

By this point I've got to side with Aatrek. With the AV spoilers being bought, the proclivity for some people to 'speculate' actual plot points, and the tendency for some TVIV posters to hilariously overreact, I can only imagine the Game of Thrones thread being more work to moderate then the entire TVIV forum.

It's just asking too much. I like the first season of GOT a lot and the more I read about it the more I realized that unless I wanted to be spoiled for every single plot point I needed to either only discuss it among real life people that are on the same page I am or read the loving books. The particular kind of person who refuses to/doesn't have time to read the books AND insists on discussing and analyzing and speculating on the story ad nauseum is not someone you want to gather by the hundreds anywhere. You're self selecting for maximum inanity and poor critical thinking skills. It doesn't matter if you don't want to be spoiled, don't go on the loving internet to talk about 16 year old books. You know who hangs out on the internet? Shitheads who derive pleasure from the suffering of strangers, and the keening whine of The Worst Thread's posters fills even my mild card shorts with sadistic jizz.

stawk Archer
Jun 19, 2004

by angerbot
Laughing at people's reactions to the story or enjoying the speculation is worth more than being a dickhead ever could. But then again I'm not really a dickhead, so maybe I'm missing out on it all.

In other words:

But yeah, there is a lot of people playing dumb in there, like someone getting the name wrong consistently even though everyone around him has it right. And to be indignant about the fact that there are book readers? Internet people and their ways.

Aatrek posted:

(Also, God help me if I ever use the phrase "quality television" in a sentence other than this one.)
I could definitely find a near quote of that from a few weeks ago, but that's not the point of what I'm saying anyway.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010

Not My Goodies posted:

sadistic jizz.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Aatrek posted:

Best of Both Worlds :colbert:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Good luck, Aatrek.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Godspeed, you black emperor.

Speaking of which, Kylaer's too good to post his (better than the source material?) fan fics, huh.

e:

quote:

Nah it's cool if you wanna pay a company hundreds of dollars for some incredibly subpar stories.

I already did that with Bantam Spectra's A Song of Ice and Fire sequence.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire

Not My Goodies posted:

Bret Easton Ellis for Arya's chapters

This is the greatest sentence ever written.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
I think my Red Wedding episode experience with my dad was pretty fun, he's very laid back and had gems like "Walder Frey is just a prickly old man" and "Bolton and Catelyn look like they're going to hit it off," and "oh that castamere song I like this one but wait that isn't a fun song?"

At least he wasn't a big baby about his favorite characters all being brutally murdered.

Also

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Aatrek posted:

Couldn't you simply tell the tviv people to gently caress right off if they expect you to enforce no-spoilers content regarding source material that has existed as long as this has? The environment those ridiculous threads create is sickly sweet and ripe for those who'd have a mind to spoil. Not to mention the environment where trolls will report the slightest imagined breach of the no-spoiler-no-book-talk contract, just to play backseat mod with no repercussions.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

This bottle is not nearly long and heavy enough, and should be encrusted with rhinestones for extra glistening.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
I don't understand why Game of Thrones can't be spoiled for sport on a site that was notorious for Snape killing Dumbledore. Hell, it was the forum title for fyad the day the book came out if I'm remembering right.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

LoG posted:

I don't understand why Game of Thrones can't be spoiled for sport on a site that was notorious for Snape killing Dumbledore. Hell, it was the forum title for fyad the day the book came out if I'm remembering right.

SA is a very different beast these days.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
SA now is different from SA 6 years ago... which was different from that SA 3 years before.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

IRQ posted:

No I'm doesn't!

that's seriously had me giggling for like an hour.. love your work.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
Jesus Christ, I've been poo poo posting for nearly a decade.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
Man, and I was feeling old just for having been on here for almost four years. Yet, I'm still a babby.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

How old were you when you got your account, Contra? 16?

Kids :rolleye:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Not My Goodies posted:

Bret Easton Ellis for Arya's chapters

he's a loose cannon on Twitter... some pure gold on there.

Bret Easton Ellis ‏@BretEastonEllis 24 May
Cooking dinner tomorrow night for Eli Roth and Marilyn Manson at my place and I have no idea what to make. Deciding now. Chicken, I guess?

Bret Easton Ellis @BretEastonEllis

And "Breaking Bad" is the most overrated TV series in the history of television. Even though I want to bang the kid with cerebral palsy.
6:15 PM - 31 Jul 2012