Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

That's more personality than he showed in 9? episodes so far?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I need to just watch Gokaiger again, just so I can forcibly paste Marvelous's face over that joker's in my mind.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Captain Marvelous that ain't.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
They really should've made the Yellow Megaforce the leader. She's got moxie.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Just so everyone's clear on how much cooler the real mccoy is,

Motherfucker puts two in the stink.

Bonus:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Poor TimeFire, all those donuts at the precinct :qq:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Also note that the real Marvelous yells "It's showtime/let's make this exciting!" immediately after they do their roll-call and shoots the first enemy he sees.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Are they seriously planning to put the Megaforce rangers in the Gokaiger's civilian outfits? That's not quite stupid enough to wrap back around to awesome.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Jesus wept.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how they get these wooden kids to go from 'Teenagers with(out) Attitude' to 'ARR ME HEARTIES BUCCANEERS'.

I bet they wind up doing work experience on a boat or some dumb poo poo.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Agent Rush posted:

Are they seriously planning to put the Megaforce rangers in the Gokaiger's civilian outfits? That's not quite stupid enough to wrap back around to awesome.

No, it is just a photoshop. The Troy with Marvelous' body has been around for a while. They just stuck the poster part on since the poster was recently reveled.

mateo360 fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jun 19, 2013

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

mateo360 posted:

the poster was recently reviled.

Accident or intent?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

JT Smiley posted:

That's because the current Japanese toys are expensive as poo poo nowadays! For instance, you could buy your little one the US Samurai Megazord for around $30 dollars, or you can purchase the Japanese original for $80: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=17880096

It was 30 bucks because it was cheap garbage. I bought the $80 Japanese version and it's a drat good quality figure. Solid plastic, great paint apps, plus you actually get the proper box modes.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Well yeah the imported Shinken-oh works for you because you're an adult collector who can afford to pay a little more for the Japanese original. There aren't many parents out there how are going to spend nearly $300 dollars so their kids can have all the Samurai megazords.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

JT Smiley posted:

Well yeah the imported Shinken-oh works for you because you're an adult collector who can afford to pay a little more for the Japanese original. There aren't many parents out there how are going to spend nearly $300 dollars so their kids can have all the Samurai megazords.

Last Christmas, toysrus had a very nice Gigazord set with all the Samurai zords in it for $130.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

What it's like to meet a Power Ranger

quote:

The coolest thing about the whole experience – besides, you know, watching a Power Ranger punch boards in half WHILE FALLING THOUSANDS OF FEET FROM THE SKY – was seeing how JDF embraced his history and his fandom.

How many cult actors or child stars immediately try to distance themselves from their most famous project? It’s like they feel ashamed of the work they did. But, as you see in the video above, JDF still embraces the Power Ranger legacy.

He talks about it openly, jokes about it freely. For crying out loud, he spray-painted his hair green just for the attempt. Judging this attempt could’ve easily turned into me meeting a legitimate childhood idol, only to learn he’d grown bitter and full of contempt for playing a role that provided a seminal part of my youth.

The video's pretty cool, too.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

BRUH.

COME ON SON.

This is what I wanted. I would've thrown money at you for these.

In other good news though.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2013/07/18/power-rangers-legacy-the-first-20-years-announced

RBX fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jul 18, 2013

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
Is it just me or does GokaiOh look unmolested beyond some missing paint apps?

EDIT: Oh poo poo! Legacy Dragonzord! :circlefap:

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Looks like the usual.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

RBX posted:

COME ON SON.

This is what I wanted. I would've thrown money at you for these.

Keep the originals even though they're 100% fine and serviceable with maybe one new one for Titanium Ranger? Naw gently caress that gotta make big fat ones to symbolize MUSCLE, even on the girls too because why not.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

RBX posted:

Looks like the usual.

Yup. Looks like missing paint apps and decals, and they changed the mast on the Gokai Galleon to molded plastic with paint instead of a decal. Gonna have to wait and find out if there's any more changes beyond the cosmetic ones.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

SpazmasterX posted:

Yup. Looks like missing paint apps and decals, and they changed the mast on the Gokai Galleon to molded plastic with paint instead of a decal. Gonna have to wait and find out if there's any more changes beyond the cosmetic ones.

It's definitely more than cosmetic - there's Zord-builder attachment points all over it. I count six in that picture alone.

OZC
Jan 28, 2008
I saw comments that the US version has removed the opening gimmick in favor of those Zord Builder pegs, and any extension parts like PatStriker or MagiDragon would split and simply mount on the pegs to create the add-on versions.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Zonekeeper posted:

It's definitely more than cosmetic - there's Zord-builder attachment points all over it. I count six in that picture alone.

You're right, somehow I didn't even pick up on that. Looks like I'll wait to get GokaiOh off ebay sometime.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I always wondered if it's really cheaper to make new molds for the edited parts then to just copy the original?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Zedd posted:

I always wondered if it's really cheaper to make new molds for the edited parts then to just copy the original?

Depends. In this case it's probably cheaper since removing the panel opening gimmick means far fewer parts per unit. Usually the only real cost-cutting measures you'll see require a complete overhaul of the original design, like you can see in the Overdrive Megazord compared to Daibouken. Daibouken is already very small compared to other megazords, but has a lot of detail and various bits and pieces. The Overdrive megazord used cheaper quality plastic and removed functions and/or moving pieces in some of the zords, leaving the awful piece of poo poo that the states got. RPM made everything smaller, used lower quality plastic, and removed the electronics from the Engine Souls to shrink them down and lower costs as well. Gosei Great is nearly identical to its counterpart, but again smaller and cheaper plastic.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Zedd posted:

Considering they straight-up imported the Japanese edition of Shinken-oh at a high (but still fair) price point, the main reason is to make the Megazord affordable to the average household with a little PR fan. They probably make their profit off the cheaper versions by sheer sales volume compared to the imports.

The Japanese originals are high-quality pieces of work and are easily superior to the American ones, but the fact remains that $80 for an imported Megazord is a very hard sell. Borrowing the molds and making them with cheaper plastic/paint apps probably isn't an option due to the sheer number of failure points that get created if cheap plastic is used to make them, so they opt for making a simpler version with less movable parts and a standardized limb-attachment system for inter-playability with other Megazords.

I hope they keep the "two-tier" mindset going forward, selling both the cheap Americanized version and the collector-grade originals. That way parents and collectors both get what they want. Hopefully the Shinken-Oh import was profitable enough to justify continuing that strategy.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Those new Ranger Keys are loving hysterical. It's so funny this obsession Power Rangers has with portraying everyone as being Schwarzenegger in spandex. They also look spring-loaded, which I don't think the originals were but I've never seen one in person to know for sure.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
If they're spring loaded I may have to pick up a few. I'm mostly just upset that this most likely means the Japanese keys won't fit in an American Mobirates.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
"gently caress you, obsessive fans!" shouts Saban.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

"gently caress you, obsessive fans!" shouts Saban.

Wuh...where's that from? Why are they using Dairanger footage on what appears to be some manner of official product? Small glimpses from Legend War footage was unavoidable, but is Saban embracing/marketing the fact that there's almost 20 more seasons of Sentai that were never adapted?

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

jivjov posted:

Wuh...where's that from? Why are they using Dairanger footage on what appears to be some manner of official product? Small glimpses from Legend War footage was unavoidable, but is Saban embracing/marketing the fact that there's almost 20 more seasons of Sentai that were never adapted?

I guess that's the thing - they either have to ignore the footage using non-american rangers (a good chunk of the Japanese footage) or include it and expect people to just roll with it.

The Dairangers are unique in that their mechs and sixth ranger were used but those costumes never appeared in any capacity whatsoever. The pre-PR sentai can get written off as old Ranger teams Zordon fielded, but Dairanger presents a problem due to its semi-inclusion in canon. We'll probably get some line about those being Thunder Ranger prototype powers Zordon and Alpha made when creating the White Ranger.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Makes me wonder if we'll see more of the Aquitar rangers. I like the Kakuranger suits and wouldn't be too upset if they snuck a Mighty Morphin Alien Ranger into Super Megaforce somewhere.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

They are doing Alien Ranger Keys, at least.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Zonekeeper posted:

Considering they straight-up imported the Japanese edition of Shinken-oh at a high (but still fair) price point, the main reason is to make the Megazord affordable to the average household with a little PR fan. They probably make their profit off the cheaper versions by sheer sales volume compared to the imports.

The Japanese originals are high-quality pieces of work and are easily superior to the American ones, but the fact remains that $80 for an imported Megazord is a very hard sell. Borrowing the molds and making them with cheaper plastic/paint apps probably isn't an option due to the sheer number of failure points that get created if cheap plastic is used to make them, so they opt for making a simpler version with less movable parts and a standardized limb-attachment system for inter-playability with other Megazords.

I hope they keep the "two-tier" mindset going forward, selling both the cheap Americanized version and the collector-grade originals. That way parents and collectors both get what they want. Hopefully the Shinken-Oh import was profitable enough to justify continuing that strategy.

On that note I see that TRU is selling the rereleased MMPR Megazord for $60. Is it worth getting in the sense that it isn't made with poor quality plastics?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Revolver Bunker posted:

On that note I see that TRU is selling the rereleased MMPR Megazord for $60. Is it worth getting in the sense that it isn't made with poor quality plastics?

If its the Legacy Megazord (Big green box with a 20th anniversary logo in the top right) then yes, its the one with fancy diecast bits.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Revolver Bunker posted:

The main thing driving up the cost is the fact that it adds a lot of diecast to the model, WAY more paint apps, more accurate stickers and generally better (and shinier) everything. It's the same mold as the 2010 Megazord remake, but they took that and pretty much made the best quality toy they could with it.

With the announcement of a legacy Dragonzord capable of combining with it, I'm having a hard time keeping myself from picking the Legacy Megazord up despite owning the original 2010 version. (which looks like poo poo in comparison) :ohdear:

E: I've been after a 1993 Megazord primarily for the ability to combine with a Dragonzord - now that the new version is getting one, I've pretty much dropped my efforts to acquire one. I bought a 1993 Dragonzord in iffy condition (missing the usual stuff like the staff, handle, codpiece, and battery cover), broken horn tip, parts of it look like they were chewed on by a dog) last month to display with my 2010 version, and now I don't need it. :argh:, but in a happy way.

Zonekeeper fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jul 18, 2013

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Zonekeeper posted:

The main thing driving up the cost is the fact that it adds a lot of diecast to the model, WAY more paint apps, more accurate stickers and generally better (and shinier) everything. It's the same mold as the 2010 Megazord remake, but they took that and pretty much made the best quality toy they could with it.

With the announcement of a legacy Dragonzord capable of combining with it, I'm having a hard time keeping myself from picking the Legacy Megazord up despite owning the original 2010 version. (which looks like poo poo in comparison) :ohdear:

Wait, do they mean combine as in Battle Mode (the full mech, with the Dragon instead of the T-Rex and Pterodactyl) or Hat Mode?

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Wait, do they mean combine as in Battle Mode (the full mech, with the Dragon instead of the T-Rex and Pterodactyl) or Hat Mode?

Both, if the box mockup they displayed at comic-con is to be believed.

E: Here, have a pic:

Basically, they're giving us the things we begged for 3 years ago.

Zonekeeper fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jul 18, 2013

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

quote!=edit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
...Goddamnit, and my buddy was awesome and got me an original Dragon Dagger toy for my birthday this year. Not mint, but pretty good quality, sound effects still work, still has all the stickers... But now there's a die-cast one with a modern sound chip?