Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
'fraid I'm not back yet, and to top it off, I'm going to be away on training July/August. :( I've left a template for vote spreadsheets if anyone wants to take that up, but I'm probably going to be too busy packing and the like over the rest of the month to do much vote-counting. Sorry, Diog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

I forgive you, I still love you Canuck.

I don't have access to a spreadsheet for much of the day, well, no mouse anyway, so it makes counting much more time consuming.

Good luck with training!

Save Target As
Oct 13, 2008

Voting B J . If he carries you and gives you his cloak, it will still cover him a little bit too hopefully.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Well, finally caught up on both MadGod and this. There are two things I'd like to say right out that should be obvious - Diogines is an excellent storyteller, and the Goon Collective is an abysmal decision-maker, or at least a decision-maker that stumbles along all right most of the time until it trips and dives completely south.

Before I make my first vote, I'd like to explain ahead of time what drives my own decision-making process in this CYOA since I think it could be an interesting perspective that differs a bit from what I've seen so far. I don't want to claim that it is the best or only way to make decisions, but it could make for something interesting to think about, at least.

Now, the way I see it, Enkidel (I can't stop reading him as "EnKindle" for some reason) is fairly normal as mortals go. He's not obviously born to gods. He doesn't have innate magical powers flowing through his veins. He cannot run faster than a speeding bullet or leap tall buildings in a single bound. In fact, right at this moment, he's even less than that - he's a perfectly normal child with an unusual and possibly traumatic upbringing, but not one that has endowed him with any particular superhuman abilities yet.

But it's a pretty fair meta-game bet that our lad Enkidel is going up against some extremely heavy poo poo and will be involved in events of epic proportions so long as we don't consistently refuse the call to arms and strive to become a moisture farmer. So how is he supposed to survive going up against all that kind of stuff? What advantage does he have against gods, demons and angels?

My view? We're his trump card.

Normal people get milliseconds to react in dramatic or dangerous situations. Normal people can't really think about the decisions they make in the heat of the moment and must resort to pure instinct or training and hope that it's appropriate for the situation. And most normal people don't really have instincts that are all that helpful to the sort of divine clashes we're probably going to get ourselves into. But we here have the luxury of sitting back, sipping a glass of brandy, and considering what exactly the right decision should be. We have the luxury of debating our ideas, hashing them out and trying to track down any flaws in our plans over the course of hours and days, only to try and carry them out in the next instant. We have the luxury of thinking through those plans using knowledge that any one person might have missed in the infodumps, but which the collective managed to pick up and hash out the implications of.

In short, we're Enkidel's intuition, and it's our job to make sure that, when the chips are down, he makes the best decisions possible.

This doesn't mean we all have to agree, though. We'll all have different ideas about what his final destination should be and how he should go about getting there, and that's fine. All that matters is that we hash it all out and come to some kind of reasoned consensus on what he should do so that when he acts, he's acting spontaneously yet deliberately, instead of just pissing himself like most folks would probably do in his situation.

That's my take on the thing. Personally, I reckon we should be steering Enkidel to become someone who'll influence the cosmic course of events in the future, while trying our best to avoid being a dick. Any non-dick, non-stupid methods acceptable, though right at the moment it seems like trying to somehow become a Hero with a capital H is the best way to go. And in that vein, I reckon we should cultivate his heroic tendencies and steadfastness with E and I, even if this probably means we're going to collapse into a shivering wreck because, by gum, we've got the SPIRIT of a Hero at least!

Sticking these down here so that they don't mess up the paragraph above.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Voting is closed.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

Tomn posted:

That's my take on the thing.

That's the fun part: we don't know in advance whether we're building up or destroying Enki.

Ever the pessimist, I think it'd be amazingly funny if pushing forward caused Enkidel to collapse, catch ill, and then remember his failure in future times of duress.

Or, even better, we're not playing the Hero; we're playing the dumb schmuck who constantly gets into epic trouble, forcing the Gods to intervene on the behalf of who we're about to get killed.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

A Terrible Person posted:

Or, even better, we're not playing the Hero; we're playing the dumb schmuck who constantly gets into epic trouble, forcing the Gods to intervene on the behalf of who we're about to get killed.

If we wanted to play the game changer, we should have gone with Vote A in the beginning. Let's be Goofus instead of Gallant.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:
Casting my vote f-

Diogines posted:

Voting is closed.

-dammit. :smith:

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

HiHo ChiRho posted:

If we wanted to play the game changer, we should have gone with Vote A in the beginning. Let's be Goofus instead of Gallant.
There's no guarantee A was going to be an angel (I did vote for A though). Either way, there shouldn't be too much of a difference except that a normal angel is much more powerful than a normal human. Things don't have to stay that way, by the end of the last game, Narod could very well have been more powerful than Denziroh.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Let's be Goofus instead of Gallant.

I really hope, before the game ends, we get the option to run down a massive flight of stairs with an enormous pair of scissors in hand. Especially if we save/destroy the world in the process.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

You are cold.

You are wet.

You are dead tired.

The sky above you is as dark and hostile as the forest around you and there is no indicat-*YAWN*-ion that any of these things will change in the immediate future. You have spent the last half an hour walking like a zombie.

Ishamal walked all day as did you, though this old man wore metal armor the entire time. In the span of two seconds, you flew a hundred feet away and to the top of a tree and a few brief moments later, when you were torn away, Ishamal somehow grabbed onto your foot.

You were not awake to see it, but there was a crater a foot deep and ten feet wide where you and he hit the ground and several trees broken in half as evidence that the landing was not at all gentle. You saw it as you walked off.

How did Ishamal do... whatever it is he has done?

The answer is obvious of course. He is a Hero and that is what Heroes do. Because they are Heroes. You are cold and wet and tired, so very, very, very tired. Even keeping your eyes open is a struggle but you cannot possibly embarrass yourself in front of a certifiable hero by giving up in front of him.

Step.

Step.

Step.

Step.

Ste-zzz..

You blink for a long moment and then take another step.

You cannot give in, you won't give in...

Step.

Step.

Step.

Step.

Your eyes flicker for a moment.

WHAT?!

Oh-*YAWN*- right. I need to keep going. Heroes do-*YAWN*-n't give in.

Steeep

Steeep

Steeep

Steeep

The ground looks warm and inviting but more than that, you are just so tired, every muscle in your body says to give in, but you order it to go on.

Heroes don't quit.

Hero.

Hero.

Hero.

Hero.

....step....

A small corner of your mind reminds you that you are not a hero. Heroes are people like Ishamal who you see walking in front of you. He shows no sign of weariness, he is over seven feet tall, he talks with the Sky Giants and has fantastical powers and has fought horrible monsters and would never give in. You are a cold, frightened and wet child in a scary place and you are tired, so very, very tired. No one is writing a story about you, you are not doing any epic deed, you are trying to walk and failing at it, who are you doing this for? You are suffering. Why won't you give in?

Because a man does not quit before hardship you could swear you heard Tudiya say as if he was beside you, in that strange and almost weighty tone you have heard him use before, you can almost feel the words, yet Ishamal still walks ahead of you and has said nothing.

It is almost certainly a delusion brought on by your fatigue.

Step.

Step.

Step.

Ste-

You have reached your limit. You are beyond reason, you are beyond pride or hope or other emotions, your body is giving up on you. You already tried to tough it out and your body has been toughed out. You are done.

It is a simple, physiological fact that you cannot take another step.

Not one more.

OPTION A: [Thump].
This is not an active decision. You simply can't take another step. You are so, so very tired. You did your best, but this is it, collapse.

OPTION B: THE HELL I AM! I dig deep. I can do it. I WILL do it! Heroes don't quit and neither will I! I keep going! I BELIEVE I can keep going!

OPTION C: AKA Option B-Part Two! Okay. Do you honestly BELIEVE you can take another step? I am not asking if you want to. I am not asking if you want to be the sort of person who never quits. I am not asking if you think based on your physiological condition you should be able to take another step. I am not asking if you think this is character building of some sort and you want to max your stats by taking another step. You are a child, you are cold, wet, in a scary place and away from everyone and everything you have ever known. You almost died horribly.

Do you HONESTLY believe you can take one more step, despite your body telling you in no uncertain terms "no more"? If you honestly believe that, stick with your B vote. If you wanted to vote B but after reading this don't truly think it is in you, if you don't actually believe you can keep walking and simply want to, vote C.

You are on the honor system! I trust you to vote honestly.

If we get no C votes than I know at least some of you are lying and if you think this is some sort of stat building, what does it mean if you lie to yourself? This really is not stat building though, I promise!

OPTION D: There is none. Most questions you can fill in your own answer. This is not one of them. You have limited options.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
C

Gotta tell the truth.

edit: if the end game turns out to be like the last CYOA this might come back to haunt me... good thing we're just a kid and not a Mad God!

dyzzy fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jun 18, 2013

Callipygian Weasel
Apr 2, 2010

by Lowtax
B. Eventually, we'll probably fall. But it's never a fact that you can't go one step further. Not until you're down and can't get up again. It's amazing what a body can do if you concentrate on one step at a time.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
B

Here's my reasoning:

Og is a kid who is cold and tired and wants to go home. He could have given up. In fact, it would have been the right thing to do, as far as I care. Yet he kept walking. Through the rain, through the tears, through the sweat, through the blood, through everything a world could throw at him.

Because a true hero does not quit before hardship.

Og is the one who fell from the sky, but Enkidel is the one who rose. And even if Og can't make a step forward, ENKIDEL CAN! :ssj:

my dad fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jun 18, 2013

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

B :black101:

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
OPTION B

It doesn't take any effort to fall down, we've still got a reserve of energy!

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

my dad posted:

B

Here's my reasoning:

Og is a kid who is cold and tired and wants to go home. He could have given up. In fact, it would have been the right thing to do, as far as I care. Yet he kept walking. Through the rain, through the tears, through the sweat, through the blood, through everything a world could throw at him.

Og is the one who fell from the sky, but Enkidel is the one who rose. And even if Og can't make a step forward, ENKIDEL CAN!

I like this. it has my vote.

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

See them other chickenheads? They don't never leave the coop.

my dad posted:

B

Here's my reasoning:

Og is the one who fell from the sky, but Enkidel is the one who rose. And even if Og can't make a step forward, ENKIDEL CAN! :ssj:

My vote.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe
Jesus, Enkidel is one tough sonofabitch.

Voting for B, because walking is just falling with at least one foot forward and one more step was all we were asked for. I think Enki can manage at least that, which invalidates a C vote for me. Also, I think (at this point) that Enki would at least try to muster that last step, even if it's physically impossible. I don't know whether he'll manage or not, but at the very least he may dream of walking his way back to the others after giving his absolute best effort.

Actually, gently caress that. Enki will take that step, even if he's just sliding his foot forward for a half stumble before collapsing.

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.
C

Look, I want to keep walking. The image of Og/Enkidel I have in my head wants more than anything to keep walking. Ishamal probably wants us to keep walking as he is not a donkey. Asherah wants us to HUNGER.

There is just no way in my head at this point that he physically has it in him. He dug deep based on our last vote, walked the walk as far as he could - I'm sure Ishamal will notice we literally walked until we couldn't walk anymore.

It is time to admit the mind is willing, but the body isn't. I don't think I could get up let alone walk after being struck by lightning. Enkidel wants to be a hero very badly. He's not one yet though.

C

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
B

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
B. We believe this with an unshakeable belief that does not even occur for us as a belief. We have summoned a 'god'. Flown. Been the center of a lighting strike. Crashed without harm to the ground. Of course we can keep walking.

(I admit that the extent to which our will can effect the world, including our own body, is very much in question for me. I do not feel this would be a question for Og/Enkidel at this point.)

As far as how I am voting, I no longer have any idea. I am taking the results of each vote as a kind of gestalt that raises the question of who we are now. This is consistent with the 'self reliance', Boring Platform. Apparently though for me this does not always lead to the purist Boredom option, which in this case might be to just lie down.

I would also like to remember that we have been called a Fool by a hero, and apparently the words of Heroes have some effect in the world, 'i.e. "You are too young to die, but not too foolish!" The Fool archetypically attempts to keep walking, even when there is no ground underfoot.

I confess I have some curiosity about the Tooth. It might not be something to just be left lying about, if we feel that it is integral to summoning the Dæmon of Boundless Hunger and Insatiability (who has now seen us directly).

Sogol fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jun 18, 2013

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Disargeria posted:

OPTION B

It doesn't take any effort to fall down, we've still got a reserve of energy!

I am your body.

I am stating as an empirical fact, you do not.

You have no more reserves. You spent them getting this far.

Give up. It is time to stop.

You have nothing left to give and I don't care whawhatever it is you think you have to prove, you don't.

Stop. I stopping now and you should too.

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Lightnin? HA! Thats a good 'un!
Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!
Can we pray to Enkindu for the strenght to keep marching? I want to do that.

edit: Because we will not be using our body but godstrenght

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Of course our body also would have been quite clear that we could not fly. True, perhaps we should have listened.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

C, he can probably take one more step, but not much more than that.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Diogines posted:

I am your body.

You have nothing left to give and I don't care whawhatever it is you think you have to prove, you don't.

You are a coward, but you are not a weakling. Yes, you have the energy. Yes, you can move. Because I, Enkidel, am telling you to. THAT LEG WILL MOVE FORWARD AND YOU WILL MAKE THAT STEP!

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

Diogines posted:

I am your body.

You have nothing left to give and I don't care whatever it is you think you have to prove, you don't.

The mind won't listen, though.

You wrote the kid through our votes. He resisted the insatiable lusts of a monstrous god long enough to hold back its pull, call out for help, lie still while having aid rendered, and then walk despite being exhausted after the struggle. The body may be done, but the mind doesn't care.

Enkidu will choose to try to muster and continue. Not to prove anything. His reason is "because".

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!

Diogines posted:

I am your body.

Is that the same body that was convinced we had to eat everything? I'm not buying it. Bodies also say they can't pull things like trains but they can do that too.

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!

Basscop posted:

also, no need for the proper praying formalities and knee poses. i just want to THINK to him as hard as we can

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Basscop posted:

You don't have the physical dexterity to put together the words or the mental willpower to say this in your mind.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

A
Considering the fact that we're 11, I think we made a pretty good showing. No shame in headbutting the ground now.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
A, but only if we can poo poo out our intestines, seeing as how our bowels are less than empty.

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!
Well it seems like we're gonna fall. We must fall with STYLE then just like last time.

Vote to fall with style. Preferrably landing on our face.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

my dad posted:

You are a coward, but you are not a weakling. Yes, you have the energy. Yes, you can move. Because I, Enkidel, am telling you to. THAT LEG WILL MOVE FORWARD AND YOU WILL MAKE THAT STEP!

I am your body.

Why are you doing this to me?

What did I ever do to you?

I am so tired. I am not telling you that you have a choice. You do not have a choice. I am stopping. I have nothing left to give.

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

C let's try to keep going. If we collapse, we collapse. But we're not going to ask for help.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

my dad posted:

B

Here's my reasoning:

Thanks, dad. B!

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

A

We've done our bit to push the limits of human endurance. I don't think anyone can ask more than what we've already just done.

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!
Guys lets please not die trying to walk. :holdthegate:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Diogines posted:

I am your body.

Why are you doing this to me?

What did I ever do to you?

I am so tired. I am not telling you that you have a choice. You do not have a choice. I am stopping. I have nothing left to give.

Why do you act as if you are the one in control? I AM ENKIDEL, AND I AM TELLING YOU, I AM TAKING THAT STEP!