Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Rirse posted:

And of course Nintendo of America is backwards like usual and didn't put this in the firmware update. Sometimes wish they would get rid of Reggie and get a new person in charge so they actually get VC games on time and stuff like Mario & Luigi within the same week of Europe.
They're probably waiting for the relay update because these games are practically unplayable in the US. I dunno why you're being so hostile to Reggie :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Balcony
Sep 8, 2005
Dear Deidre...

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

New 3DS firmware update!

This update also includes a whole bunch of new (paid) Streetpass Plaza junk, including "Streetpass Squad", "Streetpass Garden", "Streetpass Battle" and "Streetpass Mansion".

EDIT: €4.99 each, €14.99 as a bundle.

Have those 4 new paid Mii Plaza games been previously announced? Because it's like they have appeared from nowhere. They look kind of cool, in there own ways but I'm still struggling to complete the puzzles and I'm repeatedly slogging through the 2nd quest to consider buying them. I wonder: Do the people you streetpass with have to have the DLC installed in order to play with them? Also, if you don't have the DLC will you be able to see the new hats on other Miis still?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Rirse posted:

And of course Nintendo of America is backwards like usual and didn't put this in the firmware update. Sometimes wish they would get rid of Reggie and get a new person in charge so they actually get VC games on time and stuff like Mario & Luigi within the same week of Europe.
You know that typically we get screwed over with release dates (or releases in general, hi every Atlus game ever, also Petit Computer) a lot more than the US, right? Just because we're getting Mario & Luigi first and got some Tingle game that NA never got doesn't mean you guys have it worse.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Rirse posted:

The update is broken for the majority of people anyway so you aren't missing much. When you go to buy the new games the Streetpass Plaza crashes and the 3DS has to restart.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Balcony posted:

I wonder: Do the people you streetpass with have to have the DLC installed in order to play with them? Also, if you don't have the DLC will you be able to see the new hats on other Miis still?

No idea on the second point, but I don't think it matters whether the people you exchange data with have the new games or not.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

New 3DS firmware update!

This update also includes a whole bunch of new (paid) Streetpass Plaza junk, including "Streetpass Squad", "Streetpass Garden", "Streetpass Battle" and "Streetpass Mansion".

EDIT: €4.99 each, €14.99 as a bundle.

... they really expect us to pay €14.99 for some streetpass games?!?! :confused: Holy poo poo no.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:
I bought all four yesterday on the JP e-shop.
The variety of hats increased by a lot right off the top.
Also, by buying these games, I was given four hat tickets (to be exchanged for hats) right away.

I played the shmup first. It's well made as a Gradius-type sidescroller.
The streetpassed Miis are attached like Gradius options to your craft and treated as weapon packs (if you haven't SPed anyone, you can't go out on a mission--no guns). There are three kinds of weapons. By putting more Miis on a certain weapon, it can be powered up to max three levels.
The weapons can be rotated around your craft to shoot in eight directions.
I managed to clear one stage and got myself another hat.
It's fun enough for what it is.

The florist Garden game didn't make much sense.
You're just supposed to trade seeds with other Miis (they also help water your garden) and grow different flowers.
I wasn't very engaged by this one. Didn't see much point to it.

The country domination Battle game counts the Miis you collected, and the collected Miis of the people in the SP queue to form an army.
You then take your army against I think twenty NPC territories and fight their armies using rock-paper-scissors mechanics.
Your own army can be divided to build up your castle as well.
It's not all that compelling, but it also yields hat tickets.

The Mansion is a sort of dungeon crawler in which one collects floor tiles (like Tetris/Bombliss pieces)from SPed Miis for assembling the floor of the dungeon, fighting ghosts (auto RPG style, IIRC), and locating the hidden stairs to find the next floor. It's interesting.

I can get several SPs daily (my two units + three kids), so they're worthwhile to me.
Fifteen bucks for all of them's not bad considering I routinely drop twenty bucks on frozen yogurt for me and the kids.
Hell, at a lot of places, that won't even get me two beers.

Blaisedell
May 7, 2008

They really need to set a higher daily play coin limit now that we have these new games. 10 coins per day just isn't going to cut it.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
Are there any plans of releasing the sega-published 3d classics for the 3ds virtual console outside of japan anytime soon?

I'd love to get my hands on super hang on.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
Think US will just wait until the Thursday Eshop update for all this Streetpass nonsense?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Fancy Hat! posted:

Think US will just wait until the Thursday Eshop update for all this Streetpass nonsense?
Pretty sure we don't get those until the Fall. Once those Starbucks/McDonalds relay stations are set up you can expect a big push for the StreetPass stuff.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

irlZaphod posted:

You know that typically we get screwed over with release dates (or releases in general, hi every Atlus game ever, also Petit Computer) a lot more than the US, right? Just because we're getting Mario & Luigi first and got some Tingle game that NA never got doesn't mean you guys have it worse.

We also never got Earthbound. Ever.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Shoehead posted:

We also never got Earthbound. Ever.

I just heard you never got Super Mario RPG either?!? (until now) :ohdear: You poor, poor people. I'm so sorry.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Pyrovile posted:

The update is broken for the majority of people anyway so you aren't missing much. When you go to buy the new games the Streetpass Plaza crashes and the 3DS has to restart.
Yeah this owns, thanks Nintendo.

Don't know why they'd hold it back in NA but not EU. It's not like we get tons of Streetpasses. Although I did get one today. :getin:

e: Although we're presumably not getting the relays here.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Zaphod42 posted:

I just heard you never got Super Mario RPG either?!? (until now) :ohdear: You poor, poor people. I'm so sorry.

We missed out on a bunch of SNES RPG stuff. Our first Final Fantasy was VII on the PSX, and we never got Chrono Trigger until the DS remake.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Yeah I was crazy confused when FFVII came out, especially since the PSX was Sony's first console. I'd never heard of the series before.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

And, hey, why not mention the fact that until the Dreamcast all games ran 17% slower here. And even afterwards, when most PS2 developers didn't want to adopt the frequency selector and we ended up with its most highly expected game, Final Fantasy X, looking squashed with big black borders and running at snail speed. It was rather amusing seeing chubby Tidus running around like he was inside a pool.

This concept now seems so alien that just the possibility of getting VC games in 2013 afflicted by this issue led to so much noise that Nintendo eventually heard and changed the policy to either release straight up American versions or "optimized" PAL ones.

The fact NOE and Sony have been throwing us down some bones lately is a miracle, all things considered. Yeah, poo poo isn't perfect, games are still overpriced and they will sometimes take a year to get here (Persona 4 Arena, Harvest Moon New Beginning), but drat if the situation hasn't improved a million times over.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

So far Streetpass Squad and Streetpass Mansion are the most fun, the first being a fairly simple shmup with weapons you can customise and swap around at any time, the other having combat with a bit of timing and resource management to it. Filling in the mansion's floor is also interesting, you need to pay attention to the colours of the Miis you've got, since combining map pieces of the same colour to make larger rooms instead of seperate corridors is how you get item chests to spawn and give you healing items and weapons.

Streetpass Battle doesn't have as much to it. Seems like it could be either very easy or very hard depending on how many soldiers your guests bring from their plazas. I had six streetpass hits which gave me around 400 soldiers and that completely steamrolled the first country.

Streetpass Garden seems pretty pointless unless the idea of growing and breeding virtual flowers appeals to you I guess.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Our first Final Fantasy was VII on the PSX

Technically, there was Mystic Quest before that.
:goonsay:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I don't think either Mystic Quest or Final Fantasy Adventure (Seiken Densetsu GB) had the name "Final Fantasy" on 'em for the PAL release, so do they really count?

Anyway, Sega Japan just revealed two more 3D Classics-esque remakes for 3DS eShop: Ecco the Dolphin and Galaxy Force 2! Looks like they're planning on at least two other games, too. Surely Outrun/Afterburner have to make the cut at some point.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Who cares about Final Fantasy, the biggest EU shame is that there was no Dragon Quest until Dragon Quest loving 8 on the PS2. Amusingly enough we did get Dragon Quest Monsters (and we have Pokémon to thank for that) but only the first one! Because that makes sense. Up to this day, there has not been a release of DQ 1,2 or 3 in Europe, neither the NES games, the SNES remakes or the GBC remakes.

And no Dragon Quest 7 either. If they don't localize the 3DS remake we won't have that, either. Which honestly makes it more mind-boggling that NoE hasn't picked it up yet, considering it basically a brand new game for us.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Rumour is that Nintendo only had the bandwidth for either Bravery Default or DQ7, not both.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

I've heard that as well, but I am firmly in the camp of "Nintendo has exactly as much bandwidth as it's willing to pay for". If they're not porting it, it's for no other reason than them considering it not profitable enough. However it seems like the company who translated the DS remakes of 4-6 picked it up.

*edit: That company being 8-4.

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jun 19, 2013

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Rumour is that Nintendo only had the bandwidth for either Bravery Default or DQ7, not both.

They...have limited bandwidth? How does that work?

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

He means metaphorical bandwidth, which is to say that there are only so many people working in the Treehouse.

(Hire me, Nintendo! I'm desperate and soon to be jobless and speak the Nihongo. I will translate the poo poo out of an RPG.)

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Another promotion has been announced for the Japanese Wii U eShop - if you add 5000yen to your eShop wallet between June 26 and July 10 you'll get an extra 500-yen credit, and if you add 10000yen you'll get a 1000-yen credit. I'm sure they'd get more bites if the JP eShop had more than three games, but still, better than nothing!

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/charge_campaign/

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Anyway, Sega Japan just revealed two more 3D Classics-esque remakes for 3DS eShop: Ecco the Dolphin and Galaxy Force 2! Looks like they're planning on at least two other games, too. Surely Outrun/Afterburner have to make the cut at some point.
I could never figure out the appeal of Ecco the Dolphin.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It's challenging, it's tense, it looks/sounds cool and there are xenomorphs. What else do you need?

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

My 3DS crashes if I try to access the new streetpass stuff... :/

edit-
I really shouldn't have assumed I'm some unique snowflake having problems when it comes to Nintendo. At least holding R in Puzzle Swap is faster...

.TakaM fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jun 20, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sarchasm posted:

He means metaphorical bandwidth, which is to say that there are only so many people working in the Treehouse.

(Hire me, Nintendo! I'm desperate and soon to be jobless and speak the Nihongo. I will translate the poo poo out of an RPG.)

I'm sure they've got enough people, they probably just don't have enough budget. :smith:

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Saoshyant posted:

And, hey, why not mention the fact that until the Dreamcast all games ran 17% slower here. And even afterwards, when most PS2 developers didn't want to adopt the frequency selector and we ended up with its most highly expected game, Final Fantasy X, looking squashed with big black borders and running at snail speed. It was rather amusing seeing chubby Tidus running around like he was inside a pool.

This concept now seems so alien that just the possibility of getting VC games in 2013 afflicted by this issue led to so much noise that Nintendo eventually heard and changed the policy to either release straight up American versions or "optimized" PAL ones.

The fact NOE and Sony have been throwing us down some bones lately is a miracle, all things considered. Yeah, poo poo isn't perfect, games are still overpriced and they will sometimes take a year to get here (Persona 4 Arena, Harvest Moon New Beginning), but drat if the situation hasn't improved a million times over.

Sometimes all those things make me sad that I'm not American.
But then I just read some GBS threads and feel better :)

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

.TakaM posted:

My 3DS crashes if I try to access the new streetpass stuff... :/

Everyone's does, it's Nintendo realizing that they're a ripoff and trying to save face at the last minute.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Luigi U is up on the AU eShop, or so I'm told. File size is ~750MB.

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010

Luigi U is up on the AU eShop, or so I'm told. File size is ~750MB.

It's up on the Europe one too. 20 Euro.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
:911:

There are people streaming it on twitch if anyone wants to check it out. I'm watching this guy : http://www.twitch.tv/jayfermont

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Kukuga, the overhead shooting game for 3DS by G.rev (Border Down, Under Defeat, etc) and Hiroshi Iuchi (lots of Treasure stuff), is getting a NA/PAL eShop release in "June/July":

http://kokuga.net/index_e.html

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
There's another update available for StreetPass Plaza, presumably to fix all the stuff they broke earlier.

Sulphuric Sundae
Feb 10, 2006

You can't go in there.
Your father is dead.
Is Shantae still set to come out today?
Shantae, Metal Gear, and Super Mario Bros DX are the only GBC games I've owned that I refuse to get rid of.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of June 20):

quote:

WII U ADD-ON CONTENT
    New Super Luigi U (NSMBU expansion) - €19.99 / £17.99
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Mario Bros. (NES) - €4.99 / £3.49
    Wrecking Crew (NES) - €4.99 / £3.49
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Mario & Yoshi (NES VC Trial Campaign) - €0.30 / £0.30 until July 11
    Little Inferno (Wii U eShop) - 50% off until June 27
    Trine 2: Directors Cut (Wii U eShop) - 50% off until June 27

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    LEGO Legends of CHIMA: Laval's Journey (June 21) - €39.99 / £34.99
    LEGO Legends of CHIMA: Laval's Journey (demo)
    Rayman Origins - €19.99 / £17.99
    Luxor - €11.99 / £10.79
3DS eSHOP
    BUGS vs. TANKS! - €7.99 / £7.19
    3D Game Collection - €24.99 / £14.99
    Gardenscapes - €24.99 / £14.99
    The Phantom Thief Stina and 30 Jewels - €4.99 / £4.49
    Witch's Cat - €4.99 / £4.49
    101 Dinopets 3D - €4.00 / £3.59
3DS ADD-ON CONTENT
    Fire Emblem Awakening DLC
    Rogues and Redeemers #3 (Ike/Limit Breaker, difficulty *****) - €2.49 / £2.29
    Future Past #3 ("glimpse into the future", difficulty *****) - €2.49 / £2.29
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Defenders of Oasis (Sega Game Gear) - €3.99 / £3.59
    Tails Adventure (Sega Game Gear) - €4.99 / £4.49
DSiWARE
    Armageddon Operation Dragon - 500 Points / €4.99 / £4.49
    Jewel Quest 5 – The Sleepless Star - 800 Points / €7.99 / £7.19
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Super Little Acorns 3D Turbo (3DS eShop) - €2.49 / £2.49 until July 4

NA update (week of June 20):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Game & Wario (June 23) - $39.99
WII U ADD-ON CONTENT
    New Super Luigi U (NSMBU expansion) - $19.99
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Mario Bros. (NES) - $4.99
    Wrecking Crew (NES) - $4.99
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Mario & Yoshi (NES VC Trial Campaign) - $0.30 until July 11
    Little Inferno (Wii U eShop) - 50% off until June 26
    Trine 2: Directors Cut (Wii U eShop) - 50% off until June 27

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    LEGO Legends of CHIMA: Laval's Journey (June 26) - $29.99
    Project X Zone (June 25) - $34.99
    Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games - $39.99
3DS eSHOP
    BUGS vs. TANKS! - $7.99
    Farming Simulator 3D - $9.99
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Mega Man 6 (NES) - $4.99
    Defenders of Oasis (Sega Game Gear) - $3.99
    Sonic Blast (Sega Game Gear) - $4.99
    Tails Adventure (Sega Game Gear) - $4.99
DSiWARE
    Rhythm Core Alpha 2 - 1000 Points / $9.99
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Super Little Acorns 3D Turbo (3DS eShop) - $3.99 until July 8

Forget Luigi U, forget Bugs vs. Tanks, s'all about FARMING SIMULATOR! 3D!

I seem to recall Rhythm Core Alpha being one of the better DSiWare apps... weird that it got a followup after so long, and still as DSiWare.

(Nothing about the Streetpass Plaza updates on the NA press release, so no idea if you're getting that today, Ameridudes.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Sulphuric Sundae posted:

Is Shantae still set to come out today?
Shantae, Metal Gear, and Super Mario Bros DX are the only GBC games I've owned that I refuse to get rid of.

Nintendo pushed it off the release schedule a week or so ago, it's now scheduled for "July".