Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
. gently caress your bullshit, body, we can totally take one more step.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

C

We did a pretty good job, but even heroes listen to their bodies.

Callipygian Weasel
Apr 2, 2010

by Lowtax
:siren:To anyone hugely influenced by what our body is saying, I assure you that the bodies of marathon runners everywhere insist that their goal is IMPOSSIBLE, that they have to stop NOW. But they don't. In fact, they eventually even receive a rush of endorphins to dull the pain.

Bootcamps routinely demand that people push past their breaking point, and they do.

Enkidel isn't a trained athlete, but the fact of the matter remains that if you force it to, your body CAN do more than it thinks it can. :siren:

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
In our time of need, El sent an angel to wrest us from the wretched claws of an all-consuming hunger. Clearly we have gained favor with him, whatever the reason may be. At this moment we find ourselves in a predicament almost as dangerous as our meeting with the Hungering One himself. This forest may be filled with monsters so we need to get out soon. But El isn't aiding us right now. He hasn't abandoned us, he just thinks that we have it in us to escape the forest on our own accord. We trust El and El trusts us, so we can trust ourselves.

B.

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Lightnin? HA! Thats a good 'un!
Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!
I HOPE THE GROUND HITS US IN THE HEAD HARD FOR ACTIVELY TRYING TO BE STUPID

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Basscop posted:

I HOPE THE GROUND HITS US IN THE HEAD HARD FOR ACTIVELY TRYING TO BE STUPID

Quiet Asherah :downs:

I change my vote to C by the way. I think we might be able to keep going, but I'm not certain of it.

Tudhalias
Sep 7, 2009
A

Tudhalias fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jun 19, 2013

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

my dad posted:

Why do you act as if you are the one in control? I AM ENKIDEL, AND I AM TELLING YOU, I AM TAKING THAT STEP!

I am your body.

You are wrong AND you are a jerk!

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!
Guys i'm telling you as a fish that walking is quite hard we should stop right now.
The walking we're doing right now isn't really heroic.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

A. We've already hit the wall and smashed through it several times today. Enough. We're a child, and knowing when to stop is a strength, not a weakness.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Diogines posted:

I am your body.

You are wrong AND you are a jerk!

Why, yes, I am a jerk.

Nothing you say matters. But you will learn to trust me. I am making that step.

wibblewobble
Jul 7, 2010
B

my dad posted:

B

Here's my reasoning:

Og is a kid who is cold and tired and wants to go home. He could have given up. In fact, it would have been the right thing to do, as far as I care. Yet he kept walking. Through the rain, through the tears, through the sweat, through the blood, through everything a world could throw at him.

Because a true hero does not quit before hardship.

Og is the one who fell from the sky, but Enkidel is the one who rose. And even if Og can't make a step forward, ENKIDEL CAN! :ssj:

This. No one said that heroes have it easy, but they still triumph in the end.

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
Sleep is for the wea-...zzzzzzzzzz

A.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

C

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Is it possible that taking the next step will make us tap into otherworldly or supernatural energy sources? Because I'm all about that. Superpowers ho!

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

my dad posted:

Why, yes, I am a jerk.

Nothing you say matters. But you will learn to trust me. I am making that step.

...jerk.

Absum
May 28, 2013

I'll have to vote C.
Changed vote.

Diogines posted:

It is a simple, physiological fact that you cannot take another step.

I understand that if you try you can force your body to go past what it tells you that it's limit is, but I'm unsure if that's what's happening now.

I feel we already went past what we thought was our limit with the last vote.

The quote up here seems to affirm this. Unless that's also part of the unreliable narrator thing in which case I just don't know anymore.

Absum fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jun 19, 2013

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I'm mostly worried that pushing our body so far past this point is going to gently caress us up longterm.
It's cold, and raining, and we're worn the gently caress out on every conceivable level.
We're probably going to get pneumonia or something in that ballpark.

Pushing yourself past your limits is awesome, whenever you're trained and conditioned to be able to do such a thing without killing yourself.
We're 11. Yeah, I'd say it's a safe bet that we're tougher than other kids our age, at least on the endurance front. But there's a limit to beyond-your-limits.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Pay attention to Dio's posts, guys. All of them, particularly the ones after the update.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Basscop posted:

Guys i'm telling you as a fish that walking is quite hard we should stop right now.
The walking we're doing right now isn't really heroic.

And what exactly would a fish know about walking?

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!

Schizotek posted:

And what exactly would a fish know about walking?

That it's hard.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
All true, but how exactly do we tell when we have reached a limit? There is no fancy thinking at this point, only one more step... And one more step... It is not even a question.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Would we be less tired if we feasted on the flesh of a hero?

D - Nibble Ishmael.

Seriously, though: B

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Canuck-Errant posted:

. gently caress your bullshit, body, we can totally take one more step.

Ditto for my vote. Children can run for a few days with little to no rest. It isn't good for them, and it isn't enjoyable. And any case I have read of this happening involves them running from a genocide, but it can be done.

my dad posted:

Pay attention to Dio's posts, guys. All of them, particularly the ones after the update.

Nope. Never believe Diog. Only believe in El.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Nope. Never believe Diog. Only believe in El.

Notice the pattern in Dio's posts what our body is telling us. We're persuading it that we can do it. (Not that it needs persuading, we'll do it either way because we are goddamn Enkidel)

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

Diogines posted:

I am your body.

Why are you doing this to me?

What did I ever do to you?

I am so tired. I am not telling you that you have a choice. You do not have a choice. I am stopping. I have nothing left to give.

There is a mother and a small boy back at camp waiting for us. We have to get there. We have to see if they're still okay. We have to show them that we are okay. The only person who could carry us there is old and was walking in armor all day; he's probably very tired, too.

None of those are good reasons, though. This probably is a hold the gate moment, but I figure the last couple of updates show that Enkidel would keep trying to reach his goal now that he's set his mind to it, even if it's impossible and takes more strength/willpower than he currently has.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

You people doubting Enkidel are probably the most depressing people ever and I feel sad for all of you. :colbert:

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

You people doubting Enkidel are probably the most depressing people ever and I feel sad for all of you. :colbert:

We earned our piggyback ride by now

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
And one more step...

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897
B

Mom and Danal might still need our help. Last we saw, the monster lizards were still approaching from all sides. Even if the only help we can give is not making Ishamal waste energy carrying us, we will take the next step and the next and the next until we get back to them. There is do and do not, there is no try.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

A man does not give up before hardship, you hear again in Tudiya's strange almost physically weighty voice. He is not here. You are almost certainly hallucinating.

You are hallucinating.

Maybe. But I am right anyway. Keep going. Prove you can do it.

I am your body and I am telling you, you can't. You are crazy.

Yes.

You can't, you just can't, I am your legs and your lungs, you just can't.

Keep going.

I hate you.

Pansy.

Jerk.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
B

Misread -- C

tarepanda fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jun 19, 2013

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

Does Ninveh give up when her children are being eaten? Does Sme-crab guy run and hide when Asherah tries to eat the ones he protects? The world is a cold, hard, mean place, and we know that. We are tired and miserable and most likely a gently caress up, and we want nothing more but to fall down and sleep. But we can do this! Just. Keep Swimming!. CI mean B

Cat Wings fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jun 19, 2013

Tudhalias
Sep 7, 2009
Whoa, I didn't know hallucinating was an option. Embrace insanity! Changing my vote to B, for reasons of purple monkey dishwasher.

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!
I have been swayed by the adorableness of nemo.
DO IT!
B

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
B. Quit bitching and make with the moving, muscles. If Ishmal can fly and shoot lightning to save our sorry rear end, the least we can do is walk back on our own two feet.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Jewcoon posted:

Does Ninveh give up when her children are being eaten? Does Sme-crab guy run and hide when Asherah tries to eat the ones he protects? The world is a cold, hard, mean place, and we know that. We are tired and miserable and most likely a gently caress up, and we want nothing more but to fall down and sleep. But we can do this! Just. Keep Swimming!. C

Uhm, I think you've mixed up B and C.

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003
A man does not give up before hardship!

B

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

B. HOLD THE GAIT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012