Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Nintendo should just cram a Retron equivalent into all of their new systems, along with old controller support. Ride off that VC nostalgia! It'll probably work too, considering they could have like 30 years of games on the system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:

The_Frag_Man posted:

I think the problem with the Wii U is that it doesn't appeal to anyone. That and it doesn't have any games..

First party Nintendo games have the biggest appeal out there. Mario Kart, AAA Mario games, party games such as wii sports are for all ages, genders and last longer than a weekend and sell millions of copies. Mario Kart for example sold over 30million copies, that's more than GTA 4 or any COD game on any 1 console.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
NPD numbers for last month are starting to come in. Sounds like the Wii U sold somewhere in the ballpark of 33-36k units. Here's a graph from neogaf to help put that in perspective.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Atomicated posted:

NPD numbers for last month are starting to come in. Sounds like the Wii U sold somewhere in the ballpark of 33-36k units. Here's a graph from neogaf to help put that in perspective.

Here's another one.

Also, the Wii U versions of Lego Batman 2, Sniper Elite V2, and Fast and Furious sold less than 4000 units combined.

So much for that bump from the Xbone announcement that people were talking about!

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I'm personally waiting for that "X" game to be a little closer, so I probably won't buy a WiiU until after Christmas.

But I think we've learned a valuable lesson in the last few weeks. It's not the WiiU that is this generation's Dreamcast. :allears:

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Crowbear posted:

Here's another one.

Also, the Wii U versions of Lego Batman 2, Sniper Elite V2, and Fast and Furious sold less than 4000 units combined.

So much for that bump from the Xbone announcement that people were talking about!

It would be cool to add the dreamcast onto this graph.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Joink posted:

First party Nintendo games have the biggest appeal out there. Mario Kart, AAA Mario games, party games such as wii sports are for all ages, genders and last longer than a weekend and sell millions of copies. Mario Kart for example sold over 30million copies, that's more than GTA 4 or any COD game on any 1 console.

I meant the console itself, as a separate thing from Nintendo software/games.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Crowbear posted:

Not that I think that the theory that Wii U's would start flying off the shelves once Microsoft showed off their turd was actually going to happen as much as people said it would, but if you were going to see a bump in numbers as a result from that theory working out, I don't think you'd see it till June's sales numbers come out anyways.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Crowbear posted:

The games still aren't there. If you bought a WiiU right now, unless you didn't own a Wii and have that entire library to go through you really don't have much to play. New super mario bros, nintendo land, monster hunter, lego city undercover, and maybe something else I'm forgetting. All of those games aren't exactly for everyone, but games like Mario Kart and 3D World will push sales pretty hard. And Smash Bros? Forget about it.

It's pretty much just a waiting game now. Also I fully expect a 50 dollar price drop to compete with the PS4.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Bobnumerotres posted:

It's pretty much just a waiting game now. Also I fully expect a 50 dollar price drop to compete with the PS4.

I really don't think they were even considering it before PS4's shocking $400. With only a $100 difference separating their last gen tech from Sony's next gen, they'll pretty much have to.

It would have really helped a lot if Nintendo could have gotten Smash out this year, but eh. I think the console will be fine in the long run.

silentpenguins
May 9, 2013

Abysswalking

Crowbear posted:

Here's another one.

If I'm not mistaken the first two came out significantly after the other versions of the game were released, so they wouldn't have a huge marketing push, if they had one at all. I don't know what to say about the other one.

That said, I expect the Wii U to hit GameCube numbers, maybe, nothing more. First party titles should boost sales a little bit and Nintendo is way too flush with cash from the successes of the DS and the Wii to put them out of the hardware business like the Dreamcast did for Sega, but if I had to guess this second screen thing isn't going to catch on.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
It's pretty unusual for any console not to have a lovely first year. Granted, this one has a lot more problems than the average console launches with, such as general confusion, disinterest, and rear end-backward marketing. I don't see it being Nintendo's swan song though. Maybe a hard lesson learned that it's time for them to play catch up a little more seriously. It's too early to say. But really, who has ever bought a Nintendo console for the third party games? Most people are gonna go to the PS4 or PC for that. Nintendo is still the only company really treating video games like, well, video games. I think we're gonna see the demand for such things on the rise now that companies are rolling out these disagreeable business models and digital distribution. I was hating on the Wii U until after E3, whereupon I did a 180 a picked one up.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here

Cyra posted:

But really, who has ever bought a Nintendo console for the third party games? Most people are gonna go to the PS4 or PC for that.

Which makes the idea of releasing a Nintendo console at $350 kind of nuts. I typically buy a Nintendo console as a supplemental for first party titles alone but that price is a bit rich for something that's going to have very little notable third party support.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Atomicated posted:

Which makes the idea of releasing a Nintendo console at $350 kind of nuts. I typically buy a Nintendo console as a supplemental for first party titles alone but that price is a bit rich for something that's going to have very little notable third party support.

Again, this very well might change around if the install base grows.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Crowbear posted:

Here's another one.

How can there be a weekly average for July when it's... June.

This chart, though, is why third party support will continue to not exist for at least another full year and change. Even if it starts selling at holiday time, that means games start going into development in 2014 that might include Wii U as a target, but that means you don't see em for another 8 months.. so.. if the system sells a lot at Christmas, maybe we see better third-party support by fall 2014? That's how bad this situation is.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jun 18, 2013

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

One and the Same posted:

I really don't think they were even considering it before PS4's shocking $400. With only a $100 difference separating their last gen tech from Sony's next gen, they'll pretty much have to.

$50. Nintendo is apparently recalling all Wii U Basic models, leaving just the $350 Deluxe up against the $400 PS4.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Quest For Glory II posted:

That's months from launch, so May was month 7 for the Wii U.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

That's not July, it's each console's 7th month on the market.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Oh. What was this about then?

Crowbear posted:

I mean the May Xbone reveal was funny but it was E3 this month that made Xbone become a flat out disaster. If there was going to be a bump it would be this month.

Also might be worth looking at sales in Europe where Xbox One is basically DOA now.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jun 18, 2013

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Oh. What was this about then?

I mean the April Xbone reveal was funny but it's only been since E3 this month that Xbone's become a flat out disaster. If there was going to be a bump it would be this month.

The Xbone thing was in May, and a couple of days afterwards people were posting screenshots of the Wii U jumping up a bunch of spots in the Amazon best-selling chart or something.

My post wasn't serious, I don't think anyone expected it to make any kind of actual impact.

Also might be worth looking at sales in Europe where Xbox One is basically DOA now.

Sadly it seems to be pretty hard to get concrete numbers on European sales, so we may never know :iiam:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What are current Wii sales like compared to Wii U? Are more people still buying Wii's instead of Wii U's?

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

silentpenguins posted:

That said, I expect the Wii U to hit GameCube numbers, maybe, nothing more. First party titles should boost sales a little bit and Nintendo is way too flush with cash from the successes of the DS and the Wii to put them out of the hardware business like the Dreamcast did for Sega, but if I had to guess this second screen thing isn't going to catch on.
Yeah, for all of the perceived similarities between the Dreamcast and the WiiU, context renders them moot. Dreamcast came out after Sega failed utterly with the Sega Saturn and practically sat out an entire generation of games, putting them in a position where they needed the Dreamcast to survive to stay in the hardware game. The Wii was wildly successful, so the WiiU is in danger of being either the Gamecube 2 or, worst case scenario, Nintendo's Saturn.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

NESguerilla posted:

What are current Wii sales like compared to Wii U? Are more people still buying Wii's instead of Wii U's?

They both sold ~35k-36k in May.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

NESguerilla posted:

If I'm not mistaken, April NPD numbers had the Wii outselling the Wii U.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Here is a thought experiment:

Suppose the WiiU is Nintendo's Sega Saturn. It sells dismally and Nintendo takes a loss on each one, and while their first party games sell well that's basically it. Even the third parties that really like Nintendo bail on them. Iwata either gets canned or put into a PR role, since he's surprisingly good at that.

Post WiiU, Nintendo is left with three options:

1.) Quit the console race and stick with handhelds. Go third party. I really doubt Nintendo would be in such dire straights as to need to do this, but heck maybe they can sit out a generation and come back afterwards.

2.) Try to build a device that competes directly with the PS5/Doritos Presents the Xbox Zero, graphically and in terms of functionality. This would be a huge risk because it would expensive to build and sell, and Nintendo would have neither the 3rd party support nor the warchest they have now leftover from the Wii. Moreover, Nintendo has proven that they're just not very good at this, but under new management anything is possible.

3.) Don't try to do that. Instead, build a console that is not significantly more powerful than the WiiU, if at all, but which can be built and sold so cheaply that Nintendo can sustain the costs with their first party sales as well as from third party developers that have, for whatever reason, brand loyalty to Nintendo. The real issue third parties had with the Wii wasn't necessarily that it wasn't powerful enough (though that was part of it) but rather the perception, which was probably true, that people buy Nintendo consoles to play Nintendo games, and they don't really care about third parties or multiplatforms. Assuming that the Gen 9 Sony/MS products are not significantly different from one another, I could see a situation develop where people own one of the two, but a lot more also own the cheap Nintendo box as well, because that's the only way to get Mario and Zelda.

I'm neither an economist nor a market analyst, but it'd be interesting to see if Scenario 3 came to pass.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Ever since I got my PS3 and played games like Uncharted 2 and God of War III, I've been waiting for Nintendo to catch up and produce some equally polished and stunning looking games. Although they've now got the hardware, they have years of catching up to do before they're able to squeeze out the sort of performance that other developers have managed through actually developing HD games for so many years.

Super Smash Bros and Mario Kart look great, although after playing the Gamecube and Wii versions in Dolphin, it's not a huge upgrade. The characters and stages are more detailed in SSB, and the characters cast shadows, but it just looks like the same improvement in quality from Melee to Brawl, along with a higher resolution. Mario Kart features very nice lighting, and the two-layered tracks look impressive, but I wish it was based off Double Dash rather than the Wii one.

It's a silly thing to complain about, since I'm sure these games are going to look and play as good as ever. Pikmin 3 is their most photo-realistic game yet, and still has charming character design. However, Super Mario 3D World just looks so plain compared to the Galaxy games, more like the 3DS one with a higher polygon count and co-op.

I still think one of the best looking Mario games is the original Luigi's Mansion, because it had so much effort put into its character models, animations, environments, and lighting. I think the essential thing they need to work on is the lighting, since it's what makes the new Wind Waker HD version look so stunning compared to the Gamecube release. They could up polygon counts and texture resolutions, but that wouldn't have nearly the same effect as scorching sunlight casting thick shadows, or torches flickering on wall of a dungeon. I'm not asking for every game to be gritty and realistic, just to feature the sort of attention to detail that other games have spoiled me on.

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH

Strange Matter posted:

3.) Don't try to do that. Instead, build a console that is not significantly more powerful than the WiiU, if at all, but which can be built and sold so cheaply that Nintendo can sustain the costs with their first party sales as well as from third party developers that have, for whatever reason, brand loyalty to Nintendo. The real issue third parties had with the Wii wasn't necessarily that it wasn't powerful enough (though that was part of it) but rather the perception, which was probably true, that people buy Nintendo consoles to play Nintendo games, and they don't really care about third parties or multiplatforms. Assuming that the Gen 9 Sony/MS products are not significantly different from one another, I could see a situation develop where people own one of the two, but a lot more also own the cheap Nintendo box as well, because that's the only way to get Mario and Zelda.

I'm neither an economist nor a market analyst, but it'd be interesting to see if Scenario 3 came to pass.
The Wii U is already basically this box in terms of specs relative to the PS4/XBone except it's much more expensive than it should be, so it's much more expensive than most might be willing to pay for just Nintendo games. Of course it's probably the tablet that increases the Wii U price considerably. Maybe there will be a significant price drop on the Wii U next year (or before the holidays), though.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

thefncrow posted:

$50. Nintendo is apparently recalling all Wii U Basic models, leaving just the $350 Deluxe up against the $400 PS4.

Oh my. :stare:

...A full $100 price drop then. I was going by the Basic price. That expensive rear end controller really doesn't give them a lot of room to work with though, does it?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Instead of getting into HD game development, Nintendo should just go back to basics and use modern hardware to produce 2D games with amazing sprite art.

noELrunes
Jan 23, 2004

Bah gawd he had a family!

Neo Rasa posted:

The thing is though, right now we don't have that batch of must have exclusives, I know it can take some time. Remember at one point the DS was the death of Nintendo, then six months later WarioWare Touched/Kirby Canvas Curse/Mario Kart/Nintendogs all came out at once and it was over. Wii U sales died because they weren't able to deliver Pikmin III and maybe one other awesome game this summer, so we'll see what happens come Christmas. I'm also really interested in seeing what Retro is working on.

I wish the wiiU would get something like the Capcom 5 during the GC days but with the way 3rd parties are treating the wiiU at this time, I doubt it. I ended up buying 3/5 and hope to see viewtiful joe somewhere next gen or the wiiU again, however.

As for Retro, I'm pretty happy that they're doing another Donkey Kong as odd as that sounds. I joined in on the current gen pretty late and ended up getting a 360. I'll be going PS4 and back to my roots via the wiiU when games start coming out; and it looks like they start coming in July/August with Pikmin.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Didn't all the Capcom 5 games wind up on other consoles? They also canceled 1 one of them if I'm not mistaken.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Alteisen posted:

Didn't all the Capcom 5 games wind up on other consoles? They also canceled 1 one of them if I'm not mistaken.

All but the P90x or whatever that game was. RE4, Killer7, and Viewtiul Joe all came out on other platforms and Dead Phoenix was cancelled.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
P.N.03 which coincidentally was panned at release but is now regarded as a good game. I just don't get it.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I don't recall anybody ever saying anything good about P.N. 03. We can all make arguments about Zelda games that people didn't like but then years later did (Majora's Mask, Wind Waker), but what could anybody say was good about P.N. 03 in retrospect?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Mercury Crusader posted:

I don't recall anybody ever saying anything good about P.N. 03. We can all make arguments about Zelda games that people didn't like but then years later did (Majora's Mask, Wind Waker), but what could anybody say was good about P.N. 03 in retrospect?

Game give boner!!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
P.N.03 only exists because Mikami needed a game to fill the hole left in their release schedule after they delayed Viewtiful Joe, and the whole "Capcom 5" thing only came about because Mikami was sick of dealing with Sony (and because he couldn't even get through a single meeting with Microsoft).

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

After the war of great troll, he only stands. He now returns to the legendary city to seek revenge on the death of his village. Episode 1: "Legendary School Girl Bubble Gum! Will Senpai Notice Me!?"
I never played P.N.03, but I'm pretty sure the reason anyone thinks it's great is because

NSFW?

Snix fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jun 19, 2013

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
I am a pretty huge fanboy of Shinji Mikami and I love almost every game of his I've played, but I can't sit through more than the first thirty minutes of PN03. It's such a boring game.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
From my understanding the love for PN03 emerged after people figured out how to play it better, apparently its more of a rhythm game than anything else but without any music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I love Mikami games and I always wanted to try PN03. Is there anybody here that likes it?

• Locked thread